Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

I mean I do like the development and redemption of Sweet Mask but he is still an rear end in a top hat that murdered a bunch of alien prisoners that had surrendered and also humans that were under mind control.

Like now we understand he had his reasons for doing so, sure, that doesn't change he's a contemptible piece of poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

GimmickMan posted:

I mean I do like the development and redemption of Sweet Mask but he is still an rear end in a top hat that murdered a bunch of alien prisoners that had surrendered and also humans that were under mind control.

Like now we understand he had his reasons for doing so, sure, that doesn't change he's a contemptible piece of poo poo.

Eh...

I think he's still a major rear end in a top hat, but now that we know his reasons, I'd stop short of full on piece of poo poo. He was doing horrible things because he thought of it as the one way to keep his humanity, and while it's a dick move, the aliens were (as far as we know) willing participants in a massacre of civilians, while the mind controlled humans sold out the heroes to save their own hides even when they still had free will.

Given his position, I can see the argument. Doesn't make it right, but I can afford a little sympathy, especially since he's planning on someone doing the same to him once the time comes.

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~

Shugojin posted:

Saitama definitely teaching this guy to get over himself and just be a hero

It's too bad Saitama is so good at helping people with their issues, but can't get over his own existential crisis. Poor Caped Baldy.

yum
Oct 27, 2005

Only good things will come
to someone like
you.
Was it the bird poop that made Sweet Mask remember Santana’s quote from the previous chapter on page 25? At first I thought it was him crying lol

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

I like the guy that's wearing a suit that has Mob written all over it.

Classon Ave. Robot
Oct 7, 2019

by Athanatos
I, for one, cannot ever forgive the summary execution of a group of willing participants in multiplanetary genocide.

Wait no, the opposite of that actually.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

chiasaur11 posted:

Eh...

I think he's still a major rear end in a top hat, but now that we know his reasons, I'd stop short of full on piece of poo poo. He was doing horrible things because he thought of it as the one way to keep his humanity, and while it's a dick move, the aliens were (as far as we know) willing participants in a massacre of civilians, while the mind controlled humans sold out the heroes to save their own hides even when they still had free will.

Given his position, I can see the argument. Doesn't make it right, but I can afford a little sympathy, especially since he's planning on someone doing the same to him once the time comes.

I went back to reread the corresponding manga chapters and I had forgotten that the private squad were complete cowards who would've traded the kid's life for their own. Looking at it from that angle, they're not that different from the fighters that monsterized themselves at the end of the tournament. So fair point on them. As for the aliens, if a single one of them had been an engineer capable of building a ship like the one Boros had then that would've been an immense boon to humanity. They weren't a threat anymore, so what's the harm in letting them live? It's not about what they deserve, it's about what is practically better for everyone. In that instance, sweet mask did what was better for himself using "justice" as an excuse. A very human thing to do, certainly, but also reprehensible.

Either way sweet mask was, a few months ago, a solid candidate for becoming an antagonist exemplifying the evils of the hero system. Now he's more like an antihero, acting callous and being a dick to people but for understandable reasons. I suppose I'm going to find him less excusable than the rest of the thread, but I do like how his arc picks up where Garou's left off in how the real big difference between heroes and monsters is basically what they do with their power and, to a lesser degree, how socially accepted their activities are. ONE is good.

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

GimmickMan posted:

I went back to reread the corresponding manga chapters and I had forgotten that the private squad were complete cowards who would've traded the kid's life for their own. Looking at it from that angle, they're not that different from the fighters that monsterized themselves at the end of the tournament. So fair point on them. As for the aliens, if a single one of them had been an engineer capable of building a ship like the one Boros had then that would've been an immense boon to humanity. They weren't a threat anymore, so what's the harm in letting them live? It's not about what they deserve, it's about what is practically better for everyone. In that instance, sweet mask did what was better for himself using "justice" as an excuse. A very human thing to do, certainly, but also reprehensible.

Either way sweet mask was, a few months ago, a solid candidate for becoming an antagonist exemplifying the evils of the hero system. Now he's more like an antihero, acting callous and being a dick to people but for understandable reasons. I suppose I'm going to find him less excusable than the rest of the thread, but I do like how his arc picks up where Garou's left off in how the real big difference between heroes and monsters is basically what they do with their power and, to a lesser degree, how socially accepted their activities are. ONE is good.

If a single one of them had been an engineer capable of building a ship like the one Boros had then they were a massive threat to humanity

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Also who is to say Metal Knight didn't capture an engineer. It's right up his alley.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

Terror Sweat posted:

If a single one of them had been an engineer capable of building a ship like the one Boros had then they were a massive threat to humanity

Not unless they're child emperor levels of self-sufficient geniuses. Having the blueprints to a tank doesn't make you capable of manning the whole thing. Or building it, for that matter.

Also just imagine the wealth of astronomic knowledge letting a single one of them live would have brought to the table. I get that this is a setting where aliens are just a different skin for ancient monsters and evil mutants but if we're going to examine whether mask is a good or bad man then we do need to think about the consequences of his actions, especially since we know his ruthlessness is not just a warped sense of justice but also comes from a place of self-interest.

Like he violently splatters the head of a thawed caveman who doesn't even know how to speak and gazes down sinisterly at the remains, ignoring orders to bring him back alive, while Fubuki explains who he is to Saitama and why hardly anyone makes it to S-class. He has his reasons for being an rear end in a top hat, but he's still an rear end in a top hat.

GimmickMan fucked around with this message at 16:43 on Feb 8, 2020

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
Counter-point: gently caress'em.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
Going full tilt in favor of Sweet Mask over this is kinda... Weird. Have you guys forgotten how he's been consistently in the wrong and a real jerk for the majority of the comic? This chapter doesn't vindicate jack poo poo of what he's done.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

You know, I really appreciate that the resolution to the entire Flashy Flash storyline was "Saitama (unwittingly) beats up the founder of the ninja village and gives Flash his sword"

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Mordaedil posted:

Going full tilt in favor of Sweet Mask over this is kinda... Weird. Have you guys forgotten how he's been consistently in the wrong and a real jerk for the majority of the comic? This chapter doesn't vindicate jack poo poo of what he's done.

Sweet Mask is how he is due to Understandable, but not justifiable reasons.

And while he was a big jerk, he was never out and out a bad person or did evil things, aside from his total annihlation policy of otherwise harmless monsters/aliens.

Rigged Death Trap fucked around with this message at 13:48 on Feb 11, 2020

yum
Oct 27, 2005

Only good things will come
to someone like
you.
Sweet Mask is an rear end in a top hat utilitarian but Saitama is slowly making him change his ways. His decision to fight when faced with the pseudo trolly problem from the latest chapter is evidence of that

He’ll probably continue to be an rear end in a top hat afterwards though

yum fucked around with this message at 14:36 on Feb 11, 2020

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

Mordaedil posted:

Did you feel the same way about genos when you first saw him? Cause he was the same.

Classon Ave. Robot
Oct 7, 2019

by Athanatos
What has Sweet Mask done other than summarily execute a group of literally genocidal aliens and be an abrasive dickhead to everyone he talks to? I can't remember much else really. He's no worse than Genos used to be I think.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
I dunno implying he'll kill the S-class is pretty naughty in my books.

Also urging Saitama to finish off Garou. His attitude the entire Garou arc actually. His attitude when meeting Genos.

Don't bring Genos up as some kind of counter example, we knew Genos all of 15 minutes before he met Saitama and recognized him.

Mordaedil fucked around with this message at 15:51 on Feb 11, 2020

Classon Ave. Robot
Oct 7, 2019

by Athanatos
Being mean to Genos and urging Saitama to kill an incredibly strong guy who claims to be a monster and said he's going to kill a small child and everyone in the Hero's association aren't exactly the worst things a person can do. Like he's kind of a dickhead sure, but that's hardly beyond redemption.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Classon Ave. Robot posted:

Being mean to Genos and urging Saitama to kill an incredibly strong guy who claims to be a monster and said he's going to kill a small child and everyone in the Hero's association aren't exactly the worst things a person can do. Like he's kind of a dickhead sure, but that's hardly beyond redemption.

I think that's my take as well. The worst thing Sweet mask has done is kill prisoners who had surrendered. He's still an rear end in a top hat, but everything he's done has more or less just been an extremist form of justice which is still logical. I don't even object to wanting to execute Garou just on the principle that he could potentially retry his attempt at destroying humanity. I know he won't because Saitama has given him a lecture, but still none of the other heroes have any reason to think that. The current chapters give us more insight into his mentality which lets me feel bad for the guy since he's literally grappling with his humanity and trying to basically leave a successor before it's time for him to die.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
Fine and dandy war criminals.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
That whole stretch where everyone is jobbing to monster Garou and we keep getting baited that Saitama is about to come in is gonna be amazing in the murata version. Could totally be a whole year.

Lucas Archer
Dec 1, 2007
Falling...
I’m really really looking forward to the panel of Saitama appearing right in the middle of the absolute bonkers fight scene between Garou and all the S class, with that goofy rear end grin on his face. And everything else as well

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Do captured monsters ever get reformed, or are they moved right along into test subjects/guinea pigs? Not necessarily talking about Sweet Mask's morality, I'm genuinely forgetting if there are prison systems or anything we've been shown.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Mordaedil posted:

Fine and dandy war criminals.

Man, Fullmetal Alchemist was so good.

Classon Ave. Robot
Oct 7, 2019

by Athanatos
when u think about it the real monsters in ww2 were the American soldiers who gave guns to the prisoners of concentration camps to summarily execute the perpetrators of genocide

lol

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

Shinjobi posted:

Do captured monsters ever get reformed, or are they moved right along into test subjects/guinea pigs? Not necessarily talking about Sweet Mask's morality, I'm genuinely forgetting if there are prison systems or anything we've been shown.

Only thing we've seen is pripri prisoner's rape jail and all the monsters locked up in the hero association beside psykos that Saitama killed

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Terror Sweat posted:

Only thing we've seen is pripri prisoner's rape jail and all the monsters locked up in the hero association beside psykos that Saitama killed

Prisoner's boyfriends aren't monsters technically.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
There's also the House of Evolution setting up a Takoyaki stand.

And the one bald dude with the super armor going out and getting a job properly.

That's the only two things I can think of where an antagonist has changed/mended their ways positively.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
There are very few people that survived an encounter with Saitama and friends. Other than the 2 above, there are also Rover and Black Sperm.

Bacontotem
May 27, 2010

MorningMoon posted:

That whole stretch where everyone is jobbing to monster Garou and we keep getting baited that Saitama is about to come in is gonna be amazing in the murata version. Could totally be a whole year.

Just getting to when King, Kings the MA is going to great.

ThePopeOfFun
Feb 15, 2010

I'm trying to read this, but the link tells me nothing is here. Is this true?

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

ThePopeOfFun posted:

I'm trying to read this, but the link tells me nothing is here. Is this true?

Which link?

Edit: Use this one https://mangadex.org/chapter/55347/1

ThePopeOfFun
Feb 15, 2010

pik_d posted:

Which link?

Edit: Use this one https://mangadex.org/chapter/55347/1

Batoto.com in the OP

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Batoto died ages ago. MangaDex is the successor.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
Oh god this thread is nearly 7 years old.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
The One Piece thread has been around for 1,000+ pages.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Wait what the gently caress the OP thread is only 5 years old?

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

ZepiaEltnamOberon posted:

Wait what the gently caress the OP thread is only 5 years old?

There are like a dozen One Piece threads that get retired when something significant happens, the cumulative total is probably around twenty years with of threads

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

David D. Davidson
Nov 17, 2012

Orca lady?

MorningMoon posted:

Oh god this thread is nearly 7 years old.

The old Berserk thread was active for twelve years.