Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
What kind of world have we made where backtab is unknown? Modern GUI's were a mistake.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
I love how they took my absolute favorite game, and just spiked it into the ground and stomped on it until it wasn't recognizable anymore :(

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.

Boba Pearl posted:

I love how they took my absolute favorite game, and just spiked it into the ground and stomped on it until it wasn't recognizable anymore :(

haha, just don't get angry about it or you might hurt their feelings.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Is there even a standard for forward/back in a submenu? < and > seems reasonable enough if not. Also consider me part of the Tab/Shift-Tab crew 4 lyfe. :colbert:

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
Arrow keys you loving nightmares. Plus and minus for increasing or decreasing values. L/R Tab for changing page. We figured this poo poo out in Lotus 1-2-3.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

I kind of hate how leveling skills through use is also now basically impossible. I really dig all the new buildings and the high loot frequency, but there's a ton of changes that just make things way less fun, even for me who thinks difficulty is fun

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Take the fast learning perk. I’m 60 days in with melee/cutting/bashing at 6, dodging at 5.9ish, rifles and marksmanship at 3+, and I should shoot my pistol more because it is at a shameful 2.

E: For context, I picked medieval swordsmanship on chargen and was okay with the crude sword until I found the sword book. Arming sword means I facetank dissoluted devourers without thinking about it beyond a giggle.

goatsestretchgoals fucked around with this message at 06:53 on Feb 15, 2020

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
I think you can just straight up mess with skill learning rates in the options under the debug tab unless I've misunderstood something?

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

I’m not seeing a way to edit skill rates in debug, just a way to set skill X to value Y.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Aw they obsoleted the ability to make caseless ammo.

Arven
Sep 23, 2007
Did I accidentally toggle something or did they mess with the circumstances in which you can Tab to auto-target with ranged attacks? It seems to only work if they're almost right next to me now.

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

The Lone Badger posted:

Aw they obsoleted the ability to make caseless ammo.

Is the design document just "remove all but one specific way to have fun"?

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011

goatsestretchgoals posted:

I’m not seeing a way to edit skill rates in debug, just a way to set skill X to value Y.

No, I mean in the actual options menu from the start screen. It has a debug tab where you can set stuff like starting map visibility or how many points are in the character creation pools.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

Anticheese posted:

Is the design document just "remove all but one specific way to have fun"?

It's more like "remove anything which is fun but not 100% realistic, ignore things which are unrealistic if they are also lovely / boring"

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
Robots work because they peer into other universes, but turrets can only be as advanced as modern day ones.

It's sad because there's some really good wild stuff in the design document, and some of the stuff is probably more coherent now (Like when it used to be 2050 and you had to find a CD to use the car stereos.) and they don't really go anywhere with it.

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Just a funny av. Not a redtext or an own ok.
Lmao, I just tried to go to sleep outdoors in a sleeping bag, but instead tossed and turned for an entire TWO DAYS before becoming famished, parched and exhausted

Marenghi
Oct 16, 2008

Don't trust the liberals,
they will betray you
Realism

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Is there a way to see what's affecting my base movement cost? It's 109 and I don't know why. (my encumbrance affects Running cost, not walking)

Dire Lemming
Jan 19, 2016
If you don't coddle Nazis flat Earthers then you're literally as bad as them.

The Lone Badger posted:

Is there a way to see what's affecting my base movement cost? It's 109 and I don't know why. (my encumbrance affects Running cost, not walking)

Encumbrance affected running speed before running was even a thing, it definitely affects both and they should probably change that description. I'm pretty sure the encumbrance descriptions haven't been updated since .C though so it's probably not going to happen, arm encumbrance actually affects combat pretty severely now but still has no actual effects listed in its description.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

You can see the effects from the @ screen, highlight the different encumbrance values.

E: Use Tab to switch panels. You can also turn off skill learning from here. This isn’t useful except to turn off driving once its high enough so you don’t lose focus while driving around.

E2: IDK why base movement speed is 109 either, but mine is too.

goatsestretchgoals fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Feb 20, 2020

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
Leg damage increases movement cost now

Hyedum
Jun 12, 2010

RabidWeasel posted:

Leg damage increases movement cost now

This change makes the helicopter crash start super rough if it decides to pick your legs. Shame too since it used to be one of my favorite start scenarios :(

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

I survived that after a few goes, killing the pilot then running like hell while the soldiers struggled free of the wreckage. I holed up in a nearby cabin to heal. Issue: the cabin contained a single 750ml glass bottle with which to fetch water from the river.

Eventually soldiers started crashing through my window while I sat reading a book by the fire. So I burned them.

Edit: I'd turned spawn rate down and enemy toughness up to make individual zombies more significant and worthy of tactics, so killing a Soldier was nontrivial. Fire good.

The Lone Badger fucked around with this message at 04:14 on Feb 21, 2020

PiCroft
Jun 11, 2010

I'm sorry, did I break all your shit? I didn't know it was yours

I find getting starting NPCs to join you gives you a pretty neat advantage - They can tidy your stash while you read or do stuff and having an extra melee fighter around when picking your ay through crowds make it much more survivable.

And if you go a sociopath, when they croak, you get a load of free meat! :v:

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Public service announcement (because I didn’t loving know): Smashing zombies makes it almost impossible to harvest CBMs from them. Makes sense, but I didn’t know about this mechanic until after I pulped a shitload of CBM piñatas shocker/bio-operator zombies.

tracecomplete
Feb 26, 2017

PiCroft posted:

And if you go a sociopath, when they croak, you get a load of free meat! :v:

inb4 kuru is implemented

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
I'm often tempted to go psychopath so I can make use of the sinew from scientist/military/drug deal/college kid corpse encounters.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

RabidWeasel posted:

It's more like "remove anything which is fun but not 100% realistic, ignore things which are unrealistic if they are also lovely / boring"

They still haven't nerfed dynamite. You can brew up explosives using kitchen cleaner, crisco, swamp water and a torn up copy of Glamipolitan.

Dreamsicle
Oct 16, 2013

Hmm, looks like a Cataclysm version of Armok Vision is in the works: https://github.com/CIB/cataclysm-horizon/wiki

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
Does anyone else have cities completely overpopulated with various bird chicks as time goes on? There's at least 3 in every other house and it makes me feel bad when I run over my 10th duckling as I go down the street.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Sounds like food has been taken care of!

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

I think they spawn out of thin air during mid spring. I had a couple running around inside my barricaded house when I came back on spring day ~45 and I’m almost sure I closed the door when I left.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

I always see tons of "brown chicks" and think I'm reading the r/relationships thread.

World Famous W
May 25, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!
I always just thought it was eggs hatching instead of rotting with the other foods

Hell if know though

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011

World Famous W posted:

I always just thought it was eggs hatching instead of rotting with the other foods

Hell if know though

I guess that would track with the occasional snake that's in there with them. Oddly the zombies will target most wild life except the chicks so I guess peep peep cute factor breaches the veil of undeath.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Turns out it’s the eggs that everyone has in their refrigerators now. I saw a message to the effect of “something emerges from the bird egg (rotten)” earlier today. Also explains why they were inside my safe house.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
I saw that emergence message and was like "oh god, what fresh horrors are to be visited unto me."

Then it was just cute baby chicks and I was like "Oh."

World Famous W
May 25, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!
All y science lab starts have the living space cells full of chickens. We all know thats what happens when you leave a carton of eggs in the fridge to long. Realism!

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Is there a way to get eggs out of these chickens? I need them to make bird drugs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

I might try rushing to a mini freezer to freeze as many as possible some time, IDK if they will still hatch. As it is, you have to wait 360 days from the normal start to make bird or alpha mutagen which sucks because you’re otherwise a god in like 30-60 days and I get bored beyond that.