Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

i want 2 die

https://twitter.com/thatkevinsmith/status/1230164991703166977?s=21

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zvahl
Oct 14, 2005

научный кот

Zerilan posted:

What's the reason?

Levine's initial thesis in the base game was that the oppressed are as bad as the oppressors because all violence is bad no matter what and therefore fighting back leads to being the same thing, and he left it at that. Ignorant and stupid, but at least a coherent sentence.

in burial at sea (2 i think? idk) the Luteces force Daisy to threaten the child to make Elizabeth murder her, so that Elizabeth could become a real woman

in addition, Daisy was never an angry black woman as indicated by the recordings she has of herself around the room where the Luteces coerce her, saying that she never believed revolution to really be possible

because Daisy is made aware of the fact that Elizabeth will be the one to stop Comstock, and not Daisy, Daisy must therefore debase her beliefs and sacrifice herself to elevate the person that the cosmic twins say is actually important. Daisy agrees to this in a literal matter of seconds.

Since Daisy didn't mean it that way and was never violent to begin with, the whole thesis statement Levine made with his initial game was rendered invalid, and therefore he never said anything racist.

It's robbing what little agency Daisy and the Vox had, in order to exonerate the bad writing of Levine in a wrong-headed attempt to make things sound less racist. Oh, also, the entire black narrative is immediately dropped after this scene, and never once touched on again, in all of any Bioshock content ever again, as it turned out.

Just an utter trash fire. There's plenty more nuance in those DLCs that is vile and annoying, the entire above conversation is important as regards to the plot because it involves Elizabeth's womanhood, which is narratively more important than every black person in Columbia lol

e: syntax fuckup

Zvahl has issued a correction as of 17:26 on Feb 20, 2020

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Seems like a warning sign that 'fighting back against violent oppression is just as bad as violently oppressing' and 'black people should be expected to drop their existential struggle at a moment's notice for the benefit of a single wealthy white woman' have always been the liberal narrative

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

https://twitter.com/thatkevinsmith/status/2554608773

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

nuh huh the only true god is superman

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
If you think about it, superheros are really modern day mythical figures

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

https://twitter.com/leslieleeiii/status/1230507908120694785?s=19

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Youth preachers are the original cringe.

Korean Boomhauer
Sep 4, 2008

Some Guy TT posted:

so i just watched an episode of curb your enthusiasm having not done so for a fairly long time and uh one plot is larry bitching about having to pay out for a sexual harassment lawsuit and offending the charity hes supposed to be donating to by not kissing the emcee another one ends with a brown skinned dude stealing larrys credit card and him and his buddies dunk larry and friends in trash cans for accidental racist lisping and also ted danson is starring in a major feature film about how great robert e lee was

at what point did this show become the cringe i had always assumed it was mocking

i havent watched it in ages and decided to watch the first couple eps before checking out the first ep of season 10 and gently caress it was so awful i couldnt finish it

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Youth preachers are the original cringe.

Are you jacked up on Jesus?!

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

How do you do fellow kids let's make memes for Jesus!

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
hey kids!

*spins chair around and sits on it backwards*

today we're talking about the original superhero... Jesus Christ!

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

Taintrunner posted:

the sex worker you mean I’m sure I’d hate it too but we gotta be more kind

his character was a weird work between real and “fake” in that finale but honestly that’s what made him so endearing

is prostitute a hateful word now? i genuinely didn't know that, i thought it was already a fairly neutral description

Feldegast42 posted:

nuh huh the only true god is superman

funny way to spell goku

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 228 days!

vyelkin posted:

hey kids!

*spins chair around and sits on it backwards*

today we're talking about the original superhero... Jesus Christ!

smdh its not as if there isn't even cool poo poo like sampson to work with

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

this is trump in his most comfortable comfort zone

https://twitter.com/BuzzFeedNews/status/1230660324409274369

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

so i decided to try watching his dark materials on the threads recommendation and im in a bit of an awkward spot because while the show is loaded with foreshadowing in regards to the future books the foreshadowing is reminding me of the ways the story is going to turn weird and stupid so while its better in that this stuff isnt going to come out of nowhere its also worse because golden compass became popular mainly because it didnt really get into any of that crap

to make my criticism a bit more substantative im referring to how the second book pivots to try and make lord asriel and marisa coulter into sympathetic characters when the first book is literally the story about how theyre ripping children apart from their souls in the name of science the b plot to subtle knife justifies this by showing that lord asriel is a cool dude who fucks witches and also wants to declare war on god for some reason which isnt even a slightly convincing justification

its really weird when the witches catch up to lyra at the end of the second book and she just accepts this explanation uncritically contrast that with the end of the first book which ends with lyra declaring revenge on lord asriel something which she mostly forgets about during the second book but then thats why i felt the book needed a much better pivot and nothing the shows added really comes close to making up that deficit everybody keeps insinuating that the magisterium is really sinister and evil but for the most part the main horrible thing theyve been doing is look the other way while lord asriel and marisa coulter rip souls away from children

i never actually read the third book because of all this and i read the first two books like a decade ago so i might be getting some details wrong

coathat
May 21, 2007

Two episodes in and the al pachino nazi hunter show is bizarrely written and made

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

coathat posted:

Two episodes in and the al pachino nazi hunter show is bizarrely written and made

The commercials make it look awful.

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos
https://twitter.com/LLW902/status/1230643598032543744?s=19

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe

coathat posted:

They're doing a show about nazi hunting but I doubt it's going to culminate in bombing Langley

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

coathat posted:

is al pacino playing ppj?

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Al! PPJcino

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Some Guy TT posted:

so i decided to try watching his dark materials on the threads recommendation and im in a bit of an awkward spot because while the show is loaded with foreshadowing in regards to the future books the foreshadowing is reminding me of the ways the story is going to turn weird and stupid so while its better in that this stuff isnt going to come out of nowhere its also worse because golden compass became popular mainly because it didnt really get into any of that crap

to make my criticism a bit more substantative im referring to how the second book pivots to try and make lord asriel and marisa coulter into sympathetic characters when the first book is literally the story about how theyre ripping children apart from their souls in the name of science the b plot to subtle knife justifies this by showing that lord asriel is a cool dude who fucks witches and also wants to declare war on god for some reason which isnt even a slightly convincing justification

its really weird when the witches catch up to lyra at the end of the second book and she just accepts this explanation uncritically contrast that with the end of the first book which ends with lyra declaring revenge on lord asriel something which she mostly forgets about during the second book but then thats why i felt the book needed a much better pivot and nothing the shows added really comes close to making up that deficit everybody keeps insinuating that the magisterium is really sinister and evil but for the most part the main horrible thing theyve been doing is look the other way while lord asriel and marisa coulter rip souls away from children

i never actually read the third book because of all this and i read the first two books like a decade ago so i might be getting some details wrong

the whole series is basically paradise lost with asriel being lucifer, although since pullman is a fairly edgelord atheist he's trying to make lucifer a bit more sympathetic, but he's still a monster, the books never pull away from that they just try to complicate his character. There's still a lot of dumb crap about the series, but I think at least on that particular plot point it's not too bad -- Asriel isn't a good person but Lyra goes from missing his absentee dad to hating him in a pretty short time. the third book helps with the characterization of asriel and coulter but it also has its problems.

personally i hate the series because lin-mauel miranda is about the worst possible casting choice for less scorsby i could possibly imagine

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
there’s a jojo rabbit thread in CD now and if you try and read it your face melts off just like in the end of raiders of the lost ark

IAMKOREA
Apr 21, 2007

Taintrunner posted:

there’s a jojo rabbit thread in CD now and if you try and read it your face melts off just like in the end of raiders of the lost ark

I will never leave cspam please post some face melting takes here

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.

Taintrunner posted:

I looked in their Parasite thread and ding dong dang, those folk are loving morons.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Have they arrived at 'nazis are actually good' yet or are they dancing around it like witches at walpurgisnacht

Soup du Jour
Sep 8, 2011

I always knew I'd die with a headache.

Some Guy TT posted:

I read the first two books of the sequel trilogy and it suffers from a lot of the same problems of there being a weird disconnect between the first and following books

first one’s a fun prequel though, beginning to think pullman just can’t write trilogies

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
I watched that Netflix documentary about the fall of Gawker and while it's decent enough, the two main issues I have with it are that the narrative never quite commits to the idea, only to the suggestion, that the Hulk Hogan case was all about destroying Gawker and less about what Hogan wanted; and that once they finally make the connection to Peter Thiel, they then immediately pivot to Thiel's association with Trump and the GOP and Trump's attacks on The Media, when really the idea that a billionaire could destroy a media organization all by himself because of a personal grudge is enough of a problem on its own without being linked to the Republicans.

Dirty Money is still better.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
it was on HBO so I was reminded that ten years ago they made a James Bond movie about the CIA and multinational business interests staging a military coup in Bolivia to overthrow its left-wing leader so the multinationals could take over the country's natural resources

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

coathat posted:

That was Al Pacino? I thought it was Edward James Olmos.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

coathat posted:

it genuinely can’t decide if it’s pulp or earnest, you’ll get a shot that looks like the Hugo Stiglitz pop from inglourious basterds then an auschwitz flashback for some really powerful whiplash

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

vyelkin posted:

it was on HBO so I was reminded that ten years ago they made a James Bond movie about the CIA and multinational business interests staging a military coup in Bolivia to overthrow its left-wing leader so the multinationals could take over the country's natural resources

is that the one that was bad because stealing water rights is boring and bond movies are supposed to be about flashy outrageous bullshit conspiracies that dont make any sense

i vaguely remember that movie did have a flashy outrageous bullshit conspiracy that didnt make any sense but the endpoint of all that being the villain just wanted to steal the water rights was fairly straightforward

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

I still hope the ending of every new Bond movie will be a Metal Gear fight

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I still hope the ending of every new Bond movie will be a Metal Gear fight

metal gear?!

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Some Guy TT posted:

is that the one that was bad because stealing water rights is boring and bond movies are supposed to be about flashy outrageous bullshit conspiracies that dont make any sense

i vaguely remember that movie did have a flashy outrageous bullshit conspiracy that didnt make any sense but the endpoint of all that being the villain just wanted to steal the water rights was fairly straightforward

it was bad because the people who made words decided that they would like to get paid so the director and Daniel Craig just kinda winged it on what he should say

Serf
May 5, 2011

picard is a pretty bad show. what the gently caress is this dude rios talking about a "fee" for? is picard giving him latinum in the post-scarcity future? why are we doing body horror? what's up with the incest? where are all the aliens?

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Serf posted:

what's up with the incest?

The what

Serf
May 5, 2011

there's two romulans on the show that are brother and sister and the sister is like, all up in his poo poo in an uncomfortably intimate way

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Mad Drongo
Nov 10, 2006

Babish, a YouTuber who makes food from TV and movies, made Ram-Don from Parasite (or at least a close approximation):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ge4vghXQTtQ

He comes to the conclusion you'd expect: it's really good, but both sides of the dish would be really good anyway so it's a giant waste combining them/making a cheap food expensive, which is the point of including the dish in the film.