Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I love me some Jesse Pinkman.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

On one hand I don't want to be tricked into watching Westworld because its pretending to be a new show.

On the other hand S2 was such a mess and they clearly had no idea what to do after S1 that I suppose S3 might really be a whole new show. And that's such a good cast.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Watermelon Daiquiri posted:

he was quite good in beauty and the beast, i though

No one was good in that movie. It was a movie that wasn't only bad, it took good things (the Gaston song) and made it worse.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Alhazred posted:

No one was good in that movie. It was a movie that wasn't only bad, it took good things (the Gaston song) and made it worse.

I 100% agree. People seem to think Emma Watson is an amazing singer but every song is so bad.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Open Source Idiom posted:

Iris stands out the most for me.
She's basically Amy Brookheimer in space though.

Rhyno posted:

I 100% agree. People seem to think Emma Watson is an amazing singer but every song is so bad.
Like, how could you possibly be good in that movie? It's like trying to stay clean while your toilet is exploding.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

The Conners have been pretty good this season. I'm glad this show came back.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
For the Schitt's Creek fans out there (Espeterra?) Decider posted a fake review for Moira's film, The Crowening, and it contains gems such as this:

quote:

To say that the third installment of the Crows franchise saved Interflix wouldn’t be an exaggeration. Before Moira Rose’s big screen return injected the brand with an influx of social cache, the company’s top three programs were the short-lived Saved by the Bell spinoff Mr. Belding M.D., Werner Herzog’s controversial dystopian Parker Lewis remake Parker Lewis Can and WILL Lose, and Edward Burns’ mildly-popular early 2000s NBC series Five Towns.

Ariza
Feb 8, 2006
Did anyone finish Duncanville? I got annoyed 10 times in the first few minutes and turned it off, but I really like Amy Poehler and Maya Rudolph is my favorite so I really want to like it. That terrible Harts cartoon ruined Fox's new animation with people I like.

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

Ariza posted:

Did anyone finish Duncanville? I got annoyed 10 times in the first few minutes and turned it off, but I really like Amy Poehler and Maya Rudolph is my favorite so I really want to like it. That terrible Harts cartoon ruined Fox's new animation with people I like.

I thought it was funnier and less ugly than Bless the Harts but that's a low bar to clear.

socialsecurity posted:

Simpsons wasn't terrible this week, probably the best I've seen in a long while was surprising.
The thing that stood out to me about that episode was how off Bart's voice sounded. Maybe it's been that way for awhile and I'm just noticing because I'm watching the early seasons on Disney+ now.

J-Spot fucked around with this message at 01:27 on Feb 21, 2020

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I have to imagine that s1 of Miracle Workers went well enough for them to make S2, especially when it is obviously a fairly expensive show. Lots of big sets and elaborate costumes

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer
I love this season of Miracle Workers. The Radcliffe character is awesome.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Yeah this season's been pretty fun. Drifted away from first one five episodes in, but I prefer this one's fantasy world building I guess?

It's more of a chuckle show than a laugh out loud show, if you know what I mean?

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I watched the first episode of Year of the Rabbit and I guess I don't watch enough stuff on IFC because I definitely wasn't expecting the full frontal nudity.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

It’s a Channel 4 show that aired last year, IFC just bought the rights. C4 literally air a dating show of naked people so there’s no expectation of modesty for anything that airs on it. Except Bake Off, perhaps.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Hey TV Shows (Hunters) stop playing loud ringing noises for 5 minutes straight to show your characters are upset.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

muscles like this! posted:

I watched the first episode of Year of the Rabbit and I guess I don't watch enough stuff on IFC because I definitely wasn't expecting the full frontal nudity.

Ep of Toast of London had a character playing planks, and at one point, he got his dick out as a gag

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I'm really enjoying Hunters so far. It feels like it's based on a graphic novel, but isn't.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

muscles like this! posted:

Good pilot, seems like a promising show

itry
Aug 23, 2019

So, um... The first 5 minutes of Hunters is real something.

precision posted:

I'm really enjoying Hunters so far. It feels like it's based on a graphic novel, but isn't.

It really does.

Edit: I can't decide if the Pilot's script is grossly exploitative or just middling gonzo. Or if there's a difference.

itry fucked around with this message at 08:48 on Feb 21, 2020

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Hunters sounds like it might finally scratch the Banshee s1-3 itch, is that accurate?

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

Hunters sounds like it might finally scratch the Banshee s1-3 itch, is that accurate?

Not really. The first episode is almost a self contained movie that introduces the premise at length - it's 90 minutes long. And it's very much got a similar vibe to Peele's films. It's pretty drat serious and extremely graphic but not in a "fun" way. One of the scenes in ep1 legit disturbed me the chess match

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
Hunters is pretty wild and good. I was happy to see Lena Olin but did not expect to see Carol Kane.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

Oh go gently caress yourself with that avatar. God drat I wish I never saw that drat post.

MechaSeinfeld
Jan 2, 2008

I liked westworld less and less when it was becoming more clear that Jimmi Simpson was not returning.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

MechaSeinfeld posted:

I liked westworld less and less when it was becoming more clear that Jimmi Simpson was not returning.

I liked Westworld more and more when it was becoming clear that Tessa Thompson would be a major part of it.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I liked it more when I stopped reading the thread about it.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Alhazred posted:

I liked Westworld more and more when it was becoming clear that Tessa Thompson would be a major part of it.

Shame her character is so useless and bad

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

zoux posted:

I liked it more when I stopped reading the thread about it.

I don’t think I’m going to read threads about any HBO dramas any more, between the shitshows that were the Westworld and Watchmen threads.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Ugly In The Morning posted:

I don’t think I’m going to read threads about any HBO dramas any more, between the shitshows that were the Westworld and Watchmen threads.

It's anything genre. It was naive to think making a thread about new Star Trek would work to escape the toxicity of the old Star Trek thread.

What's the best show thread the forum has ever had? Not like hatewatching where everyone legit hates a legit bad show, those are fun of course, but like a good one with good discussion, even if not everyone is agreed on the quality?

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

zoux posted:

It's anything genre. It was naive to think making a thread about new Star Trek would work to escape the toxicity of the old Star Trek thread.

What's the best show thread the forum has ever had? Not like hatewatching where everyone legit hates a legit bad show, those are fun of course, but like a good one with good discussion, even if not everyone is agreed on the quality?

The Bojack one is good. I’m fond of the way that it covers the entire show, so you get to see people turn around on it as they watch S1.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

The Watchmen thread was a special kind of bad, one poster in there complained about the entire show beginning to end, despite finding nothing of any value in it, and wouldn't stop either watching the show or posting about how much they thought it sucked. And then after it was over they continued to try to convince people that it was objectively bad by the metric that it didn't have Game of Thrones ratings for its premieres. Despite HBO being, you know. A subscription channel.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I mean, every mega popular show thread has at least one of those posters.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

That dude was like at the $30 patreon tier of a popular pop-culture leftist podcast that decided before the show aired it was bad because it was pro-cops and then doubled down on that every week despite what happened in the show.

STAC Goat posted:

I've seen a lot of those dudes and those threads, I'd never seen anything like this guy.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Westworld s2 deserved every bit of criticism and mockery it got in the thread. :colbert:

The s1 thread was fine, probably because the show wasn't a raging dumpster fire.

e: Even the s2 thread was mostly fine until the finale, because there was still some hope that the various plot threads would come together or make sense. Then the wheels came off and it was hilarious.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Feb 21, 2020

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

STAC Goat posted:

I tried on numerous occasions to get this dude to actually articulate any sort of meaningful criticism that wasn't just some rote thing like "derivative" or cheerleading a different negative opinion someone else posted and he just refused to do it.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I'll definitely defer to you guys that this particular poster was a grand master at it. Its just like, having not experienced it myself "poster who hated the show from the beginning but insisted on watching it for months and constantly complaining and trying to convince people who liked it that they shouldn't" is like some kind of quota.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Escobarbarian posted:

Shame her character is so useless and bad

Well she's a whole new character now!

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

That's literally part of my math on whether I'll watch S3 or not.

"I like Tessa Thompson."
"But her character was terrible in Westworld."
"But like... she has to be a whole new character now or something so maybe that one won't be terrible?"

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
I looked at the aforementioned poster from the Watchmen thread's post history and I don't think we were even much of a blip on his radar.

Speaking of Westworld I'm finally diving back in. I forgot so much in the past few years that I'm picking up on episode 3 of season one. Should I just skip season 2? I bet you can't answer because we don't know much of season 3 but still.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

STAC Goat posted:

I'll definitely defer to you guys that this particular poster was a grand master at it. Its just like, having not experienced it myself "poster who hated the show from the beginning but insisted on watching it for months and constantly complaining and trying to convince people who liked it that they shouldn't" is like some kind of quota.

There's no way to prove anything but I've watched some threads (not just in tviv) collapse under negativity because an extremely negative poster is seemingly either refreshing constantly or using bookmarks to keep tabs of any and all new posts just so they reply to something instead of whining to themselves. Like, a thread will go dormant and months later someone will ask something and that person comes tearing in to resume making GBS threads.

Most threads will have a "normal" negative hatewatcher but every now and then you get someone who clearly has no self control and too much free time.