Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

The only Norse Mythology anyone needs to know is The Lay of Thrym. Make THAT the next Thor movie, cowards.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Pope Corky the IX posted:

So Captain America became even gooder after Avengers 2?

Yes, because you see he knew his best friend had murdered Tony's parents at that point and he was keeping it secret so it was diminishing his worthiness but then Civil War cleared the air and he became extra good.

marshmallow creep fucked around with this message at 16:35 on Feb 21, 2020

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
I didn't understand any of that, but don't worry about it.

Did Thanos try to pick up Thor's hammer with that pimp glove?

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
Yeah, I stopped caring about marvel movies when I failed to see Iron Man 3 (still haven't seen it). I liked Ragnarok, and I'll wait for another one of those to go out of my way again.

I tried to watch Captain Marvel last year, but I fell asleep. My roommate told me it was really good.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Kind of like how Black Widow is a Russian assassin and not a spider.

Winter Soldier is one of my favorite MCUs but I still think it's ridiculous that the movie explicitly states both that Black Widow was both 1) Born in 1986 and 2) Worked for the KGB, an organization which was dissolved when she would have been five years old.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Iron Crowned posted:

Yeah, I stopped caring about marvel movies when I failed to see Iron Man 3 (still haven't seen it). I liked Ragnarok, and I'll wait for another one of those to go out of my way again.

I tried to watch Captain Marvel last year, but I fell asleep. My roommate told me it was really good.
Iron Man 3 is good. Idiots bitched because it wasn't the same old thing over again.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Iron Crowned posted:

I think I've seen most of the Marvel films but it's really hard to recall memorable parts from any of them in particular (including Captain America picking up Thor's hammer, lol). I had to think about if I had even seen Iron Man 3 for a sec and all I can really bring up is that Tony Stark spends most of it having PTSD. Only one I have gone back to rewatch is Winter Soldier, which, with the exception of the last 20 minutes, is a solid thriller with some really excellently choreographed action scenes. That Sam Jackson car chase bit is probably my favorite scene from all the Marvelses.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Chairman Capone posted:

Winter Soldier is one of my favorite MCUs but I still think it's ridiculous that the movie explicitly states both that Black Widow was both 1) Born in 1986 and 2) Worked for the KGB, an organization which was dissolved when she would have been five years old.

Winter Soldier is a movie in which it is discovered that another organization still exists and has even deeply infiltrated into SHIELD, so... :tinfoil:

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

It's dumb but it's not like there's any appreciable difference between the KGB and FSB.

Antifa Poltergeist
Jun 3, 2004

"We're not laughing with you, we're laughing at you"

Sirotan posted:

I think I've seen most of the Marvel films but it's really hard to recall memorable parts from any of them in particular (including Captain America picking up Thor's hammer, lol). I had to think about if I had even seen Iron Man 3 for a sec and all I can really bring up is that Tony Stark spends most of it having PTSD. Only one I have gone back to rewatch is Winter Soldier, which, with the exception of the last 20 minutes, is a solid thriller with some really excellently choreographed action scenes. That Sam Jackson car chase bit is probably my favorite scene from all the Marvelses.
Yeah, they found a formula that works, but the draw back is that basically you go:"oh yeah I enjoyed that *immediately forgets everything about it until next time someone talks about it*
My favorite part is thanos in infinity war, but I'm a Starlin fanboy,still sad they dropped the horny for death plot.

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Casimir Radon posted:

It's dumb but it's not like there's any appreciable difference between the KGB and FSB.

Also the current and future president of the not USSR was KGB and I’m sure he rolled his eyes when they had to change the letterheads for glasnost.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

I didn't understand any of that, but don't worry about it.

Did Thanos try to pick up Thor's hammer with that pimp glove?

Erik Larsen introduced a version of Thor in his comic, Savage Dragon, that has a Mjolinir that can only be picked up with a certain glove.

Picking it up without leads to fatal results.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

ruddiger posted:

Erik Larsen introduced a version of Thor in his comic, Savage Dragon, that has a Mjolinir that can only be picked up with a certain glove.

Picking it up without leads to fatal results.

You can’t just leave it there what happens next

Does he regenerate his arm

Prowler
May 24, 2004

Alan Smithee posted:

Nope. Luckily, Special Beam Cannon only requires one arm and two fingers!

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Alan Smithee posted:

Yeah, Dragon can regenerate limbs but it takes awhile

And even longer to regenerate muscle mass (this is from another time when Dragon had both arms torn off).

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

So Captain America became even gooder after Avengers 2?

The running theory is that Cap is so noble, he did not want to embarrass Thor by proving he is just as worthy as him and also did not want to throw shade on his other pals by proving that they are all sacks of murderous poo poo.

smug jeebus
Oct 26, 2008
This art is terrible, do you actually pay money for this

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

smug jeebus posted:

You best not be talking poo poo about Savage Dragon :colbert: It's like the one early Image comic that holds up at all

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Cap has been worthy for a long time but Mjolnir has a tendency to be loyal to just Thor unless there's some kind of crisis or cause. It's part of why the mind-of-its-own development is easy to accept because its behaviour over the years suggested something else going on (unless Odin was micromanaging it the whole time).

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Hundreds of years from now, our descendants will find divine inspiration from her clit/brown/taint-area still pOwning my dick

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Hann į og žrjį kostgripi. Einn žeirra er hamarinn Mjöllnir er hrķmžursar og bergrisar kenna žį er hann kemur į loft, og er žaš eigi undarlegt. Hann hefur lamiš margan haus į fešrum eša fręndum žeirra. Annan grip į hann bestan: Megingjaršir. Og er hann spennir žeim um sig, žį vex honum įsmegin hįlfu. Hinn žrišja hluta į hann, žann er mikill gripur er ķ, žaš eru jįrnglófar. Žeirra mį hann eigi missa viš hamarsskaftiš. En enginn er svo fróšur aš telja kunni öll stórvirki hans. En segja kann eg žér svo mörg tķšindi frį honum aš dveljast munu stundirnar įšur en sagt er allt žaš er eg veit."

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Would Captain America be Captain Vinland in Kevin Smith's future Norse religion?

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Lobok posted:

Cap has been worthy for a long time but Mjolnir has a tendency to be loyal to just Thor unless there's some kind of crisis or cause. It's part of why the mind-of-its-own development is easy to accept because its behaviour over the years suggested something else going on (unless Odin was micromanaging it the whole time).

Maybe in Ultron when it almost started to move slightly as soon as it did Captain thought of doing something unworthy with it thereby instantly making him unworthy.

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

smug jeebus posted:

All comics in the 90s looked like that, and it got worse before it got better imo

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Koopa Kid posted:

All comics in the 90s looked like that, and it got worse before it got better imo

Yeah the 90s was pretty much the comics industry's equivalent of going through the "No gently caress YOU dad!" awkward teen years where they tried way way too hard to be edgy and hardcore and it just looks embarrassing in hindsight

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
And it ended up pretty much killing the industry as they went all 'Comics aren't for kids anymore!' so the kids stopped buying them and now they're all basically on life support from cartoons and movies.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

The Great Schism of Post-Apocalyptica will be between the people who accept the Later Eddas detailing Thor's adventures in the Americas and those who believe them to be heretical.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
When will Tom Hiddleston turn into a horse and get negholed

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Byzantine posted:

The Great Schism of Post-Apocalyptica will be between the people who accept the Later Eddas detailing Thor's adventures in the Americas and those who believe them to be heretical.

Norse Mormons will be the most wholesome biker gang in this dystopian scenario.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
Everyones ragging on Smith for that tweet but he's entirely right. What do you think old mythologies were but communal stories about guys with superpowers going on adventures? Hell you could argue that things like Star Wars fit the bill what with being universally known stories and characters that people constantly retell. You may not like Star Wars, but Darth Vader is a figure just as important in the general zeitgeist as Achilles was to the Greeks. Now obviously they will never reach the level of actual organized religion without an apocalypse, but tell me it wouldn't make total sense for some guys straight outta Mad Max to find The Lord of the Rings and think it's an actual history.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
The best case for that would be the post-apocalyptic people finding Galaxy Quest, and despite thinking it's a real thing that happened they still learn about fiction from it, so they're like "Well at least we're smarter than those aliens that came by 300 years ago..." Just a nested kind of madness. Then a year later they come across an episode of The Office, recognise Riann Wilson and just collectively facepalm realising "Welp, we're still the idiots!"

BioEnchanted fucked around with this message at 13:53 on Feb 22, 2020

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

galagazombie posted:

Everyones ragging on Smith for that tweet but he's entirely right. What do you think old mythologies were but communal stories about guys with superpowers going on adventures? Hell you could argue that things like Star Wars fit the bill what with being universally known stories and characters that people constantly retell. You may not like Star Wars, but Darth Vader is a figure just as important in the general zeitgeist as Achilles was to the Greeks. Now obviously they will never reach the level of actual organized religion without an apocalypse, but tell me it wouldn't make total sense for some guys straight outta Mad Max to find The Lord of the Rings and think it's an actual history.

Star Wars (OT) and Lord of the Rings are both self-contained stories based on mythological narratives and structures. MCU is an endless parade of action-figure smashing with no character development, story development, overarching plotline or lesson, and no ending. Which is why everyone's ragging on Smith for saying the most soulless and bland set of pop culture will become the new dominant religion. I mean even High Priest Kevin Feige talks about how you're not supposed to remember the movie plot for more than five minutes after.

Then again I guess most Christians don't really know anything in the Bible outside of Genesis, Christmas and the crucifixion.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Ghost Leviathan posted:

And it ended up pretty much killing the industry as they went all 'Comics aren't for kids anymore!' so the kids stopped buying them and now they're all basically on life support from cartoons and movies.

The thing is, I have little issue with this. The big guys can't seem to get away from the crushing weight of their own continuity and refuse to evolve into telling more self-contained stories or moving away from a monthly release schedule and toward one-shots. Indie comics are delightful and constantly producing interesting, innovative, and accessible self-contained stories.

I'd buy a Spider-Man graphic novel that told a movie-length story and didn't require knowledge of anything else going on in the current Marvel universe—that's what made Ultimate Spider-Man so great in the beginning. But I'm never going to pick up a story that's being told over the course of 5 years and requires me to read 5 other comics and a bunch of back issues to know what the hell is going on. A handful of pages telling an increasingly short snippet of a story isn't going to keep me engaged.

Evolve or die.

feedmyleg fucked around with this message at 14:38 on Feb 22, 2020

Electronico6
Feb 25, 2011

galagazombie posted:

This betrays the fact that for the ancient Greeks Achilles and the Siege of Troy wasn't a communal story about people going on adventures, but their actual History. To put things in perspective when Homer was shopping the Iliad around the Trojan War was already roughly 300-400 years old, and then another 400 years went by till Heredotus put the Trojan War in it his Histories, one of the foundation texts of western History. Jesus Christ was born 400 years after Heredotus death.

The closest analog to Trojan War and the Achilles to "us" isn't Star Wars or Marvel characters, but WW2 and General Patton or some poo poo like that.

Electronico6 fucked around with this message at 14:41 on Feb 22, 2020

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
Last I checked, mythological gods aren’t characters owned by corporations.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

Pirate Jet posted:

Thor and Loki. Checkmate.

aware of dog
Nov 14, 2016

Pirate Jet posted:

Except for Santa Claus, which we all know is a creation of Coca-Cola

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Chairman Capone posted:

Star Wars (OT) and Lord of the Rings are both self-contained stories based on mythological narratives and structures. MCU is an endless parade of action-figure smashing with no character development, story development, overarching plotline or lesson, and no ending. Which is why everyone's ragging on Smith for saying the most soulless and bland set of pop culture will become the new dominant religion. I mean even High Priest Kevin Feige talks about how you're not supposed to remember the movie plot for more than five minutes after.

Then again I guess most Christians don't really know anything in the Bible outside of Genesis, Christmas and the crucifixion.

I think the bigger issue is that movies are a visual medium. Not only that, but they require electricity and devices to watch them, which are eventually going to cease to exist. Star Wars may exist in some capacity, but a lot of it will be lost.

The example of the Simpsons play is more likely. It's a lot easier to recount 18 minutes of jokes that have been in the public consciousness for 20 years, but even then lots would be lost.

This discussion inspired me to attempt a GBS thread about pop culture surviving 75 years past the apocalypse. It's loving hard to remember a cohesive episode without looking it up or rewatching it. At best I could remember a couple jokes surrounding the hook of an episode.

Lord of the Rings on the other hand is a book with millions of copies globally, but it's more suitable for nightly reading.

Really if we're talking future plays, an aspiring post apocalypse acting company would just use existing play scripts, that are everywhere, like Kevin Costner doing Shakespeare in the Postman.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

galagazombie posted:

It just reeks of desparation from a man who tries to grapple with the insignificance of his work a d hobby. Like, yeah sure dude, after natural disasters have wiped out most life on earth, the few survivors are going to gather around YOUR favorite action figure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

galagazombie posted:

I forget, did they have DVD players in Mad Max?