Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Throne of Bhalz posted:

Just picked this up on sale. Friends were either hot or cold on it. I thought I'd enjoy it, and I was right.

Only thing is - I'm not sure how many folks are still playing. I've put down a ton of structures, and zero likes midway through chapter 2. Guess I'll just put down more. Or suck less. Maybe both.

You’re still pretty early on and the likes didn’t start pouring in until later in the game for me. They don’t have much of a mechanical effect anyway, the bridge link rating is the only thing where player likes aren’t dwarfed by what the game gives you automatically for playing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Throne of Bhalz posted:

Just picked this up on sale. Friends were either hot or cold on it. I thought I'd enjoy it, and I was right.

Only thing is - I'm not sure how many folks are still playing. I've put down a ton of structures, and zero likes midway through chapter 2. Guess I'll just put down more. Or suck less. Maybe both.

It doesn't really work that way. People don't have to be actively playing for most of the online features, in fact you may be connected to players who built all the stuff you'll see from them months ago. As you expand the Chiral network more structures from more people will appear, but only in areas you've connected to the network.

As for receiving likes from other players, it seems like most of that is "fake", in that it'll award you likes based on foot traffic through the area or general usefulness and not how many people literally use your structures, because you're only connected to ~30 or so players in reality. You can see who specifically you're connected with in the private room under Bridge Links.

If you get likes directly from another player however, it'll tell you how many and from who.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Feb 15, 2020

minya
Sep 7, 2004

SUN RA WAS HERE IN HIS ELEMENT
he invited me back for a ride
Once you start building roads, you will start seeing insane amounts of likes pouring in.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

minya posted:

Once you start building roads, you will start seeing insane amounts of likes pouring in.

Good point, I probably got 80,000 from completing the road net.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

i got a ton of likes from building the road network but also exactly one conveniently placed zipline has by far my most with like 180k. although the objects i see with the most likes in my game are always two things. 1) a dumbshit bridge in the middle of nowhere that serves no purpose, and 2) a generator somewhere useful if you manage to run out of power somehow. apparently a lot of people do, i dont know what i do differently but that's very very rare for me.

i dont really understand the bridge thing. if you delete them they often come back, too, since the game seems to think they're helpful based on the insane amount of likes they already have.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
The bridges have a simple explanation. A bridge is one of the only structures that gets a like automatically when you use it, so people put them right where Sam gets dragged to when you get caught by BTs. You get dragged right to where the bridge is just as it sinks into the tar and it's given a like because you "crossed" it. There are also people that have figured out how to hack the leaderboards through modded PS4s though, people with max likes but no deliveries and that bridge with like 25 million likes outside the Lake Knot Distro.

Throne of Bhalz
Dec 11, 2003

minya posted:

Yeah, spot on. I built the first road out of Lake Knot City and got 5k likes overnight.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Just a heads up for anyone who feels like they're way too low on chiral network bandwidth: Get rid of your Timefall Shelters. I didn't notice until today that they cost a whopping 700 bandwidth, which makes sense given their utility, but man does it add up fast.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

CJacobs posted:

Just a heads up for anyone who feels like they're way too low on chiral network bandwidth: Get rid of your Timefall Shelters. I didn't notice until today that they cost a whopping 700 bandwidth, which makes sense given their utility, but man does it add up fast.

dinking around in chapter 6 or 7 i managed to build a road that was apparently in the area of a popular timefall shelter in my game, so i was like "well i guess i'll build one here it seems like i might want to use it again in the future" and i saw the cost and said, haha, good one, more zip lines now. so rip useful timefall shelter, some dweeb built you somewhere dumb.

on the bright side having a zip line that goes clear over the mountain is insanely useful now at least. i know i am the worlds slowest player but i can play like once a week so v:shobon:v

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Dear diary, I got another erection today at work. SO embarrassing, but kinda hot. The CO asked me to fix up his dress uniform. I had stayed late at work to move his badges 1/8" to the left and pointed it out this morning. 1SG spanked me while the CO watched, once they caught it. Tomorrow I get to start all over again...
Found the physical limits of the tricycle bike today. Definitely can't turbo launch off of one of the cliffs next to where the elder lives. I was looking for a more expeditious way of taking that old rear end in a top hat his 30 containers of sleeping pills and that definitely wasn't it.

Speaking of assholes, I set something on the ground and some random MULE porter came and picked it up and walked off with it! I was pretty peeved so I punched him. Felt bad because he just kinda cowered and I got charged some likes for it.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Bob A Feet posted:

Found the physical limits of the tricycle bike today. Definitely can't turbo launch off of one of the cliffs next to where the elder lives. I was looking for a more expeditious way of taking that old rear end in a top hat his 30 containers of sleeping pills and that definitely wasn't it.

Speaking of assholes, I set something on the ground and some random MULE porter came and picked it up and walked off with it! I was pretty peeved so I punched him. Felt bad because he just kinda cowered and I got charged some likes for it.

That may not have been a MULE but was maybe an independent Porter. Was he brownish (MULE/terrorist), or more of a white and gray (porter)? MULEs don't really go outside of their territories unless they're chasing you.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

yeah you punched a friendly porter. i made that same mistake the first time i ran across them in game, i stalked up behind them trying to strand choke them out and the game wouldnt let me and i was like "WHAT THE HELL IS GOING ON" but i realized. that's a porter. i probably wasted a half hour or an hour deliberately pathing way around them so that was a real feels bad man when i figured it out

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Dear diary, I got another erection today at work. SO embarrassing, but kinda hot. The CO asked me to fix up his dress uniform. I had stayed late at work to move his badges 1/8" to the left and pointed it out this morning. 1SG spanked me while the CO watched, once they caught it. Tomorrow I get to start all over again...
Sorry yeah definitely wasn't a MULE just a friendly porter. My scanner pings off of his boots (MULE Boots) so that's what I've been calling them in my head. I'm enjoying chapter 3 but about to move on from it. I had a fun time running packages all around and using the bike has been a welcome relief after running around so often. I love the added challenge of off-roading in the thing. It is also a welcome relief to start playing and see new sections of road done.

Aphelion Necrology
Jul 17, 2005

Take care of the dead and the dead will take care of you
I accidentally grazed a Porter with a truck and knocked him over but he didn't deduct any likes, thankfully. He yelled at me, though, and I felt bad so I left him a pair of Chiral boots. He picked them up, gave me a Like, and then yelled at me again.

Bob A Feet posted:

noooooooo :( He thought you left him a gift.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

[quote="Aphelion Necrology" post="502639224"]
I accidentally grazed a Porter with a truck and knocked him over but he didn't deduct any likes, thankfully. He yelled at me, though, and I felt bad so I left him a pair of Chiral boots. He picked them up, gave me a Like, and then yelled at me again.
[quote]

Yeah, I've definitely been blasting down the road on a bike and come up on a couple of porters just walking down the center line and they dive out of the way a la Grand Theft Auto. I felt bad about that but not too bad; they had just walked past a parked truck so vehicles on the road shouldn't have been a surprise.

Plus I watched a porter summon a puddle of white BTs to move a truck that was in their way, so they're not at all helpless!

CaptainCrunch
Mar 19, 2006
droppin Hamiltons!
I once went blasting down into a distro center on the super cool Norman Reedus Rides trike intending to do an Akira slide onto the elevator pad.

Pasted a poor porter who was hoofing it up the ramp, big puff of blood.

I guess he lived? No corpse disposal order. I did get -100 likes from Porter though.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

yeah outside in the larger world i very rarely plow into porters but those dudes love to be walking up that ramp when i come barreling in at 115mph on a vehicle

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

CaptainCrunch posted:

I once went blasting down into a distro center on the super cool Norman Reedus Rides trike intending to do an Akira slide onto the elevator pad.

Pasted a poor porter who was hoofing it up the ramp, big puff of blood.

I guess he lived? No corpse disposal order. I did get -100 likes from Porter though.

I don’t think you can kill people with vehicles, because I’ve run over a bunch of MULEs and terrorists at pretty high speeds in trucks and it gives you that reddish fluid but they either get up or have the knockout star. I think you have to make the deliberate choice to shoot them with a lethal weapon to kill people in this game.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
There are many very mean things you can do to the friendly porters, like yoink the cargo off of their suits with the sticky gun, or throw knockout gas cargo boxes near them, or throw no. 1 and 2 grenades at em to make them slip and fall over, or lure BTs to them so they get munched on and you get a game over. They are timid little dudes and I will not allow you to be mean to them. Chillin under a timefall shelter with a few friendly porters waiting for the rain to stop is one of my favorite small moments I've had with the game, I played the harmonica and they laughed and clapped.

edit: Fun fact, if you react quick enough you can kill the BT trying to gank the porter and save him, and he'll do an OH THANK GOD PHEW type animation I don't think I've seen anywhere else. The attention to detail in the animations and sound in this game really is mind blowing.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 06:41 on Feb 20, 2020

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Midjack posted:

I don’t think you can kill people with vehicles, because I’ve run over a bunch of MULEs and terrorists at pretty high speeds in trucks and it gives you that reddish fluid but they either get up or have the knockout star. I think you have to make the deliberate choice to shoot them with a lethal weapon to kill people in this game.

some people have claimed to get kills off cars but I haven’t seen any yet, even pasting people at full speed and, as I put it to my horrified spouse, “not going out of my way to avoid” their knocked-out bodies on the way out

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
There's tons of love put into the friendly porters, it's great. Someone on the team had a lot of fun coming up with stuff for them to do. If you build something in front of a friendly porter they'll walk over and give it a like when it's done. If you make a timefall shelter in the rain they stop and wait for it to be done (and use it) instead of running away.

Friendly porters actually do physically walk into cleared MULE camps and take stuff to deliver from the postboxes. They really do walk allllll the way from terminal to terminal to deliver the stuff attached to their suit. There's actually a lot of complex little actions if you follow them around the open world, I wish they walked just a little faster so you could actually hang out with them as a gameplay mechanic.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 06:47 on Feb 20, 2020

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
Death Stranding needs to bring the online play to its logical conclusion and make a separate multiplayer mode where you can either work for Bridges, Fragile, be an independent contractor or just be a MULE who wants to ruin everyone's day.

You could team up with players for additional safety and MULEs get rewarded for stealing cargo.

Aphelion Necrology
Jul 17, 2005

Take care of the dead and the dead will take care of you

CJacobs posted:

They are timid little dudes and I will not allow you to be mean to them.

I love the Porters so much and even just watching videos of people loving with them makes me too sad.

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

I only saw porters at delivery destinations. I never got to see them in the wild.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.

The Human Crouton posted:

I only saw porters at delivery destinations. I never got to see them in the wild.

I saw them every once in a while for example a group of 3 dudes just hiking through the mountains like it was nothing

Zushio
May 8, 2008
Just before endgame I accidentally plowed in to one at top speed on the trike when entering a Distro. I thought it was a hologram. Cost me 100 likes, which was all but 5 of the likes I had gained from random Porters over the entire game.

Felt pretty bad.

CaptainCrunch
Mar 19, 2006
droppin Hamiltons!

Midjack posted:

That’s reassuring. I already felt pretty bad when I saw the red mist. For an npc.

night slime
May 14, 2014

CJacobs posted:

edit: Fun fact, if you react quick enough you can kill the BT trying to gank the porter and save him, and he'll do an OH THANK GOD PHEW type animation I don't think I've seen anywhere else. The attention to detail in the animations and sound in this game really is mind blowing.

How do you get a porter near a BT? I've never seen them in the BT areas. Bump into them a bunch?

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

night slime posted:

How do you get a porter near a BT? I've never seen them in the BT areas. Bump into them a bunch?

I see them by the lake north of South Knot fairly often.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

night slime posted:

They walk through the mountains near Heartman's lab delivering to the prehistoric researcher folks, sometimes they wander too close to the BT zone near the Paleontologist and become BT food.

edit: Here's a video of it happening in that specific spot. :(

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 07:38 on Feb 21, 2020

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Finally found a recording of it thanks to the DS reddit: Here's the call Heartman sends you when you first receive the fabled blood pee grenades.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7RZ3EhpACDo

You have to SEVERELY gently caress up poor Sam (without dying) to receive them but they have an enormous dispersal cloud, much bigger than the standard hematic grenades. Kills any non-boss BT in one hit without even having to charge it up.

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
I love this game but why do I keep empty containers of previously used grenades? Just got me smoked by a loving lion BT

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

i have the opposite problem. enter a distro center with a grenade that's at 4 out of 5 charges? gently caress outta here useless grenade, time to craft a new one!

night slime
May 14, 2014

CJacobs posted:

Finally found a recording of it thanks to the DS reddit: Here's the call Heartman sends you when you first receive the fabled blood pee grenades.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7RZ3EhpACDo

You have to SEVERELY gently caress up poor Sam (without dying) to receive them but they have an enormous dispersal cloud, much bigger than the standard hematic grenades. Kills any non-boss BT in one hit without even having to charge it up.

Dying might reset it like you say, but the one time I tried to get it I threw myself off a cliff until I got drained all the way of stamina and that seemed to help getting them. I remembered just now I was doing it near the cliff between the Cosplayer and the farm MULE camp, and I got a physical sensation of discomfort watching him fall from so high (speed skeleton equipped so he flies off in the distance), it was pretty odd.

I like all the little added touches in this game, like the pee blood grenades. You listen to Mama talk about how she hates going on bridges and if you go on a bridge and put her down you get unique dialogue/animation. She even has a cough recording if you hit her with...uhh...accidentally use a smoke grenade in her vicinity.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

rabidsquid posted:

i have the opposite problem. enter a distro center with a grenade that's at 4 out of 5 charges? gently caress outta here useless grenade, time to craft a new one!

I do the same drat thing except I don't wanna sit through the recycling cutscene(s) so I just shove it in my private storage and then it gets all cluttered and hard to sort through :negative:

Listerine
Jan 5, 2005

Exquisite Corpse

CJacobs posted:

I do the same drat thing except I don't wanna sit through the recycling cutscene(s) so I just shove it in my private storage and then it gets all cluttered and hard to sort through :negative:

There really needs to be a toggle to shut off all these mini cutscenes, I'm so sick of pause/canceling them.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Let's hope the PC version of the Decima engine is easy to yank apart, script editing to skip cutscenes and little inconveniences and stuff is my dream for this game.

edit: vvv Thanks pal, I really think this game is something special and I'm especially glad many people who were apprehensive have given it a shot. 👍👍👍👍👍👍👍

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 01:12 on Feb 22, 2020

Katamari Democracy
Jan 19, 2010

Guess what! :love:
Guess what this is? :love:
A Post, Just for you! :love:
Wedge Regret

CJacobs posted:

Let's hope the PC version of the Decima engine is easy to yank apart, script editing to skip cutscenes and little inconveniences and stuff is my dream for this game.

Ive lurked this thread and beaten the hell out of this game. Im excited for you and thought I would chime in to tell you to "Keep on keeping on".

I would like to see how the PC players experience this game honestly. Some mechanics of actually holding the controller and gripping / feeling vibrations helped me out so much. Will definitely re-buy the game on whatever platform it comes out on when it releases.

CaptainCrunch
Mar 19, 2006
droppin Hamiltons!
I can’t imagine playing it on a platform other than PS4 tbqh.

It was my first PS4 game ever, and when BB cried from my loving controller in my hands I dropped the drat thing!

I wouldn’t trade that experience for anything honestly. Even if waiting for the PC port would have saved me the price of the console.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I dunno, I wouldn't underestimate the power of a first-party Sony port in 2020. Sekiro managed to somehow get the DS4 gyro to control the camera and the lightbar now works in several games (in wired mode). Maybe speaker functionality is on the horizon! I totally agree that it'll have a much different feel to it with mouse/keyboard, to the point where maybe they'll even have a "this game is better played with controllers" warning on startup. This game was made with the tactile feel of a controller in mind for sure.