Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Do Record of Lodoss War and Slayers still hold up?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
I think Record of Lodoss War is a bit of a slog, but Slayers holds up extremely well, especially if you like that old animation style.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

PMush Perfect posted:

Never saw the first one, is it any good?

Slayers absolutely holds up though and if you’re in the US then all five seasons are legally available both subbed and dubbed on Funimation’s YouTube channel.

Also they’re apparently going to announce something for its 30th anniversary next month so it’s possible we might be getting a new anime for that eventually as well.

Skypie
Sep 28, 2008
Lodoss War also has some janky as hell animation that is a lot more noticeable now, I think

TheKirbs
Feb 16, 2018

True reality is on this side of the screen

Eej posted:

Is it the only popular isekai with an explicit guro death scene for the false rape accusor tho

Most don't even give a justification for their guro death scenes.

At least Shield Hero attempts to give a reason that's not 'the protagonist doesn't like her'

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

TheKirbs posted:

Most don't even give a justification for their guro death scenes.

At least Shield Hero attempts to give a reason that's not 'the protagonist doesn't like her'

This is a weird defence that’s barely a defence, please dig up extremely quickly

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this

TheKingofSprings posted:

Just to pre-empt any dogpiles this poster is clearly not defending Shield Hero and is rightfully indicting Isekai as a largely lovely genre

The majority of light novels and by extension light novel adaptations come from the top ranks of Narou, which is basically japanese Fanfiction.net (or, I guess, fictionpress.com since it's mostly OC).
This tells you three things:
a) 90% of fanfiction being terrible in not just a western thing.
b) The well of terribleness is unfathomably deep.
c) Most people have poo poo taste and it's no drat surprise the trash LNs are popular.

Yes, Shield Hero really is among the cream of this particular crop.

This is why you don't scout writers from fanfiction sites.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

So is Heavy Metal the progenitor of all the isekais we see today?

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"

Radish posted:

So is Heavy Metal the progenitor of all the isekais we see today?

No, but it's hilarious how Heavy Metal still more of an obvious male fantasy than a lot of isekais.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

That's just because Heavy Metal was originally French and that country's national tradition of sex crimes and mandatory harassment was carried through even after the magazine became an American institution instead.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

PMush Perfect posted:

Lodoss War doesn't, both because of it's age and it being an anime documentary (as fitting the name :v:) It's still worth a watch if you want to see/hear some VA's in their debut roles and get a slice of Anime History. I've watched it once and I haven't felt the urge to go back and see it again after getting that out of it.

Slayers deffo holds up. The first season is the roughest, with the first half being pretty awkward but from the second half onwards it's an enjoyable silly romp. There's a bunch of references that are old but the core comedy and character interactions help the series stand on it's own.

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

Here’s a fun thing: I teach, and one of my kids is obsessed with MHA. For a paper she’s writing she put my name as Eraser Head, and I think that’s just about the most wholesome thing ever

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Carlosologist posted:

Here’s a fun thing: I teach, and one of my kids is obsessed with MHA. For a paper she’s writing she put my name as Eraser Head, and I think that’s just about the most wholesome thing ever

You flunk her from your class this instant.

In fact, flunk everyone.

NOW.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Do you want to know what we do to artists?

Carlosologist posted:

I think she's trying to tell you to get more sleep.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

ZepiaEltnamOberon posted:

You flunk her from your class this instant.

In fact, flunk everyone.

NOW.

It was a logical ruse!

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."

EponymousMrYar posted:

Lodoss War doesn't, both because of it's age and it being an anime documentary (as fitting the name :v:) It's still worth a watch if you want to see/hear some VA's in their debut roles and get a slice of Anime History. I've watched it once and I haven't felt the urge to go back and see it again after getting that out of it.

Slayers deffo holds up. The first season is the roughest, with the first half being pretty awkward but from the second half onwards it's an enjoyable silly romp. There's a bunch of references that are old but the core comedy and character interactions help the series stand on it's own.

Lodoss for me goes way back to sci fi channels anime Saturdays. I watched the oavs and they're super old but so drat cool. I couldn't stomach the TV series though, but the oav is very worth a look.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Larryb posted:

Slayers absolutely holds up though and if you’re in the US then all five seasons are legally available both subbed and dubbed on Funimation’s YouTube channel.
:swoon:

Well, I know what I'm doing with the rest of my week.

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

If you can check out the blurays of Lodoss, there's a lot of cool details I never noticed before.

It's still super rushed but so is the short novel it's based on. The TV series fleshes out some of the plot points but I never liked the new cast nor the decrease in animation quality since it was a TV series instead of an OAV.

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

Rhonne posted:

I think she's trying to tell you to get more sleep.

I know I need to get more sleep :v: but in the moment I thought it was kinda cute

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Carlosologist posted:

I know I need to get more sleep :v: but in the moment I thought it was kinda cute

Bring in a yellow sleeping bag and just have it lying in the corner for no reason

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Carlosologist posted:

That is extremely adorable.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

https://twitter.com/FUNimation/status/1230567862194102272?s=19

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
It's good to see the Hello Kitty arc of MHA is finally getting the recognition it deserves.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Oh good, it's Beatless all over again

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Put Bakugo in Aggretsuko.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Rhonne posted:

Put Bakugo in Aggretsuko.

You know what? I'd be okay with this

Libra
Jan 5, 2011

Isn't froppy's hero name and triangle mouth already a reference to keroppi? We've come full circle.

(Also All Might was obviously based on Hello Kitty to begin with but that's obvious enough that it doesn't need to be said)

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya
On the subject of Lodoss, there's a side-scroller based on it that's about to be released on Steam which takes major visual and audio cues from Symphony of the Night.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

NEW VIGILANTES!

OH NO! EVIL POP!

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.
:ohdear:

Man I love this series, but holy poo poo it's really worrying me.

Come on, knuckledad, show up to save the day.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

I saw someone point out that Nomura is wearing Knuckleduster's jacket. :ohdear:

Also, slightly unrelated, but did anyone else see the Vigilantes vol 9 cover?

the unabonger
Jun 21, 2009

Rhonne posted:

I saw someone point out that Nomura is wearing Knuckleduster's jacket. :ohdear:

gently caress, dude.

PringleCreamEgg
Jul 2, 2004

Sleep, rest, do your best.
No no no no no I don't like this direction.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Jesus. Even if Pop gets rescued her eye is toast, right?

Crasical
Apr 22, 2014

GG!*
*GET GOOD

:ohdear:

Rodenthar Drothman posted:

Come on, knuckledad, show up to save the day.

I think this is something Koichi is gonna have to resolve on his own...

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
impressive how in the main comic the entire country's become one big powder keg with a hissing fuse, and somehow vigilantes is still the tenser of the two

Bigwinnie101
Jan 26, 2020

Oxxidation posted:

impressive how in the main comic the entire country's become one big powder keg with a hissing fuse, and somehow vigilantes is still the tenser of the two

Because we are a frog in a pot that is slowly getting the temperture raised. We wont be feeling alot of tension until its boiling over because we have alot fo safety nets in the heroes we know that the Vigilantes crew doesn't have.

Also it looks like 6 may have killed knuckleduster and taken his jacket as a prize. So one dead, Pop will either be dead or have her reputation ruined so she is retired and Koichi may or may not make it out of this with lasting damage that might make her retire.

That would be quite a sober note to end this side manga with. You can be a hero outside the law, but you don't have any of the protections of those who operate within the law so live with the consequences of your actions.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Bigwinnie101 posted:

Because we are a frog in a pot that is slowly getting the temperture raised. We wont be feeling alot of tension until its boiling over because we have alot fo safety nets in the heroes we know that the Vigilantes crew doesn't have.

Also it looks like 6 may have killed knuckleduster and taken his jacket as a prize. So one dead, Pop will either be dead or have her reputation ruined so she is retired and Koichi may or may not make it out of this with lasting damage that might make her retire.

That would be quite a sober note to end this side manga with. You can be a hero outside the law, but you don't have any of the protections of those who operate within the law so live with the consequences of your actions.
I always figured a very real possibility for Vigilantes' end would be a really bittersweet ending where the main cast comes to a bad end stopping part of a bigger plan that connects to the main series- where it would've been a disaster that would've changed the course of the main series itself had it succeeded, but when stopped merely is just a speedbump for AFO (who is clearly connected to this).

Knuckleduster/Pop/Koichi die or come to inglorious ends (permanent injuries leading to just becoming civvies again), they've saved the country if they know it or not, but no one ever cares or remembers and it's this unknown footnote in history as the bigbads move on to the next plan.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
He turned Pop into a gyaru. That monster.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

We haven't seen his body yet. He just left his jacket behind because it was stuck.

Knuckleduster is okay! He's okay!