Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

enojy posted:

Tuned into the Animal Crossing subreddit because I was curious how the people who would post to an Animal Crossing subreddit were taking the Direct.

Already a billion posts about the literal snot-nosed pig that literally murdered Joan to corner the stalk market "SHE SO CUTE I PROTECC WITH MY LIFE"

There is already so much fanart of the chameleon character and I was shocked at how SFW it is

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

glassyalabolas
Oct 21, 2006
I want to bowl with the gangsters...

Should I be spending $60 on this switch case?

https://www.sfbags.com/products/slip-case-for-nintendo-switch-lite

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

You can get an Animal Crossing colored one for less than half the price

https://www.target.com/p/nintendo-switch-animal-crossing-new-horizons-aloha-edition-carrying-case-38-screen-protector/-/A-79493986

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
Nah get the flip clamshell case, it's cool as heck

this one

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
So, controllers. I want one. The official Nintendo one is $60, which, fine.

There's also a vast sea of third-party ones. Or, evidently, a small collection of OEM controllers rebranded by multiple companies and well-loved by armies of fake reviewers.

Has anyone tried a third-party controller that they ended up liking? I would rather pay $30 than $60, but if they are all garbage, I'll shell out for the official one.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

dwarf74 posted:

There's also a vast sea of third-party ones. Or, evidently, a small collection of OEM controllers rebranded by multiple companies and well-loved by armies of fake reviewers.

Has anyone tried a third-party controller that they ended up liking? I would rather pay $30 than $60, but if they are all garbage, I'll shell out for the official one.

https://www.8bitdo.com/sn30-pro-plus/

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Waffle! posted:

When you came warping in here, did you notice a sign out in front of my castle that said "Dead Koopa Storage"?

"It's the little differences."
"Example?"
"Alright, well, you know how we have roboticized water gun jetpacks that talk to us?
".... "
"On Isle Delfino, they call that "FLUDD". They got the craziest poo poo over there."

Blotto_Otter
Aug 16, 2013

I have the SN30 Pro and it's great, I assume the Pro+ is also great. My only complaint is that it can't wake the Switch from sleep mode, so you've got to get off the couch and walk over to your Switch to wake it up. An incredibly minor, lazy, first-world problem, yes, but I am a lazy person and would prefer it if I never had to leave the couch.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

ExcessBLarg! posted:

On Windows, yes. On Mac, no. The issue is that the Switch's exFAT driver is generally crap, and picky about which metadata bits are set on files that Windows preserves and Mac does not.

If you're on Mac you can also try formatting your SD card as FAT32 and copying the files over. Or just copy over the Album folder (if you care about screenshots) and redownload everything.

Thanks. I have Windows installed on my Mac too so I’ll just use that.

El Diablo Bob O
Sep 3, 2011

Hay nada mas,
Oh si' my way!

I got flak for it before, as the Waterfield cases are expensive but well-made and solid as poo poo.

Back for the 3ds I snagged one of the nice cases with a buttoned flap over the top and it's the best case I have.

With that said, I'd pass on anything that doesn't have that flap.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

dwarf74 posted:

I like the PowerA Wireless. It's $30, build quality is fine, looks nice, runs on AAs, most importantly it is officially licensed so it syncs better than most 3rd party controllers and can actually power on and off the system which most 3rd party controllers cannot.

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH

dwarf74 posted:

The PowerA controllers are missing rumble and Amiibo support but go down to $25 on a regular basis. I have an official Nintendo Pro controller and my brother has this PowerA one, I've never felt that my extra $35 was particularly well-spent.

BONESAWWWWWW
Dec 23, 2009

I purchased a knock-off Pro controller on AliEx for $20. I personally can't tell the difference between it and a legitimate one except the aforementioned inability to turn the console on and missing Amiibo support.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

The stick on my wired PowerA broke in a month and just registers up forever.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.

Blotto_Otter posted:

I have the SN30 Pro and it's great, I assume the Pro+ is also great. My only complaint is that it can't wake the Switch from sleep mode, so you've got to get off the couch and walk over to your Switch to wake it up. An incredibly minor, lazy, first-world problem, yes, but I am a lazy person and would prefer it if I never had to leave the couch.

Remove your right joycon and keep that by your sofa. Use it as the remote control to turn the switch on.

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

John Wick of Dogs posted:

I like the PowerA Wireless. It's $30, build quality is fine, looks nice, runs on AAs, most importantly it is officially licensed so it syncs better than most 3rd party controllers and can actually power on and off the system which most 3rd party controllers cannot.

Can confirm I've got one of the PowerA wireless controllers with Pokemon paint job. Feels good, my only complaints is it seems to chow through batteries really quickly and the additional buttons on underside of the controller (I think they are supposed to be mappable but :effort: ) tend to get bumped when handling it which will turn the controller on for a second. Also no rumble which may or may not be an issue for you.

Motion works pretty well with it though, had no real issues getting through gyro puzzles in BOTW using it. Amazon has a bunch of different paint jobs for decent prices so that might be the way to go.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

dwarf74 posted:

If you value a good D-pad, get anything but the Pro controller. It's straight up defective in its build, and is far too generous with erroneous inputs. Menu navigation and 2D platformers become frustrating, Tetris becomes unplayable. A shame, really, because it's otherwise an excellent controller.

It can be fixed by opening it up and figuring out the precise amount of layers of tape to be placed over particular areas of the contact points on the PCB, but this is a really stupid problem for a $70 controller made by the inventors of the D-pad to have.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
The hori controllers are very nice, but the wireless ones' dpad is kinda not great

ROJO
Jan 14, 2006

Oven Wrangler
Whoop, just picked up the SNES controllers and the NES ones! Glad I was current on this thread!

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

enojy posted:

If you value a good D-pad, get anything but the Pro controller. It's straight up defective in its build, and is far too generous with erroneous inputs. Menu navigation and 2D platformers become frustrating, Tetris becomes unplayable. A shame, really, because it's otherwise an excellent controller.

It can be fixed by opening it up and figuring out the precise amount of layers of tape to be placed over particular areas of the contact points on the PCB, but this is a really stupid problem for a $70 controller made by the inventors of the D-pad to have.
Whoa.

That's ... really not good. Thanks for the heads up;

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

Wait, the pro controller can turn the switch on? Have been getting and turning it on physically like a fool this whole time??

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

Wait, the pro controller can turn the switch on? Have been getting and turning it on physically like a fool this whole time??

Uh yes.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

It owns because the hdmi port to my tv will turn on the tv too.

Hold home button for about 2 seconds.

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

dwarf74 posted:

I have an SN30 pro+ that I never use because I don't like the PlayStation-style stick layout. Throw me a PM if you want to buy it.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW

Blotto_Otter posted:

This would bother me more but I'm the last human being on the planet who still has to manually turn on their television so I'm getting up either way.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Beastie posted:

It owns because the hdmi port to my tv will turn on the tv too.

Hold home button for about 2 seconds.

The switch turns my tv on and goes to the right hdmi input, and the tv turns my sound bar on. It's pretty nice and I wish my PS4 would do the same.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
ARC is voodoo magic held together by weak magnets and Scotch tape. If you've got a setup that works correctly consider yourself lucky and also never upgrade a single component in your system ever again.

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug

henpod posted:

The other option is Mario + Rabbids Kingdom Battle. I've not really played a tactical rpg like this before, and i'm not sure that kind of game is my cup of tea. However, it is pretty cheap at the moment, so thought I would ask if you guys recommend it? It's currently at 11 Euros. Has it ever been lower, or is this a really good deal?

Mario rabbids is very good (lol remember when they first unveiled it and we all were like what the gently caress), and I would go as far as to say it would be a good introduction to tactical rpgs. On the surface it's pretty simple but there is a level of depth that leads to some fun a-ha moments as you figure out how use the system and each characters quirks. The challenge missions are more straight out puzzles where you have to say kill everyone on the map in one turn or something.

I'm playing through it for the second time and while I am finding the story mode to be generally pretty easy, I'm enjoying it a lot. But currently bowser jr is kicking my rear end savagely with a spike in difficulty...so I'm living with the shame of that shithead roadblocking me.

And the between-battle exploration/puzzle (of a "flip this switch to open the door" variety) sections are somewhat less annoying and momentum breaking as I remembered.

11 euros is a very good price, especially if it comes with the dlc

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
How's Towerfall? A few years back I dabbled around in the one that was on PlayStation Plus. It was a great couch vs. experience that seems like it would translate well to Switch.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

It's the biggest reason I went for the official controller beside gyro support

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!
So I tried rubbing alchohol and I tried compressed air, still experiencing stick drift in my left joy-con. Looks like I'm gonna have to send it in to Nintendo, again. This is getting kind of ridiculous, like how is this supposed to be fixed permanently?

When my Xbox 360 got the red ring I immediately turned to PS3 instead, saying "gently caress no" to a system that has a known defect that requires multiple repairs/re-purchases. I really love the Switch, but man this poo poo sucks.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!
Yeah that's lame, I don't think they've bothered to fix it permanently or made any official acknowledgement of a design defect. They just deal with it as it happens, basically every joy con ever made is doomed to gently caress up within a year or three

Everyone I know has had at least one hosed up joy con, looking forward to getting $20 from the inevitable class action lawsuit in 2025

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
My OG joycons are still kicking after almost 3 years and about 1500 hours. :dance:

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

American McGay posted:

My OG joycons are still kicking after almost 3 years and about 1500 hours. :dance:

Mine are fine too, but I mostly use a Pro

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!
Ok maybe every joycon ever is a bit of hyperbole but I'm currently at a 50 percent failure rate and I'm a grown rear end Man who never breaks technology!

It's astoundingly bad

The Bloop posted:

Mine are fine too, but I mostly use a Pro

I play mostly handheld, my pro controller just sits there looking pretty on my entertainment center

BONESAWWWWWW
Dec 23, 2009

Some of my joycons are good, some are bad. I was able to fix the bad ones (haven't drifted yet, but it could just be a matter of time) by buying a $10 stick replacement pack and spending ten minutes with a screwdriver. If anyone is reluctant to deal with Support it was dead simple.

Also gave me an excuse to replace the shells of my controllers so they're both Atomic Purple now :cool:

Also, if you have a launch joycon that loses connection, it was trivial to solder on a loooong antenna wire. Obviously your warranty will suffer but I'm pretty sure the range of my joycons are much longer than advertised now.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

I've got two pairs of joycons drifting in different directions.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

I had a brief moment of panic one time when the map on Pokemon wouldn't stop scrolling up but taking the left joycon out of the console and reseating it fixed it somehow.

I wish every game was on switch because it's my favourite console I own now, my PS4 has been basically just a Yakuza/RGG studios machine for like 18 months at this point. I haven't even fired up Shenmue 3 yet.

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

BisterdDave posted:

So I tried rubbing alchohol and I tried compressed air, still experiencing stick drift in my left joy-con. Looks like I'm gonna have to send it in to Nintendo, again. This is getting kind of ridiculous, like how is this supposed to be fixed permanently?

When my Xbox 360 got the red ring I immediately turned to PS3 instead, saying "gently caress no" to a system that has a known defect that requires multiple repairs/re-purchases. I really love the Switch, but man this poo poo sucks.

I had to return one set twice as well, it sucks. Also try out electrical contact cleaner, that's the band-aid for when it happens again. Compressed air just pushes stuff around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

glassyalabolas
Oct 21, 2006
I want to bowl with the gangsters...

DMC 3 Trailer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rm2K1Mq-WNo