Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
Another Australian youtube channel has been hacked to advertise a crypto scam.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCkQW6Qzjrg0jGnBkMER-vbA/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish

Paladinus posted:

Another Australian youtube channel has been hacked to advertise a crypto scam.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCkQW6Qzjrg0jGnBkMER-vbA/

i want one of these that's showing the bitcoin show staring the bitcoin on loop forever

Grace Baiting
Jul 20, 2012

Audi famam illius;
Cucurrit quaeque
Tetigit destruens.

Boxturret posted:

i want one of these that's showing the bitcoin show staring the bitcoin on loop forever

:wrong:
e: :worng:

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.
If you were to, say, slide your ponzi into my dripping hot blockchain, and then draw on my face a bitcoin stache while mining directly into my wallets..or perhaps directly into one of my CPUs like you were oiling up the tinman

KnifeWrench
May 25, 2007

Practical and safe.

Bleak Gremlin
oh poo poo they got the how it's made channel too.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCWBkudOTaVbvkCBc0pyZFMA

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?
https://mobile.twitter.com/RealRossU/status/1229917277711028224

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

KnifeWrench posted:

oh poo poo they got the how it's made channel too.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCWBkudOTaVbvkCBc0pyZFMA

Google must have sold the wrong data to the wrong people. Those are fairly big channels, but with little in common, so there's probably a leak somewhere.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

In a post-apocalyptic world, a citadel castout may have just found his ticket back to civilization... (self.Bitcoin)
submitted 22 hours ago by benperrin117

Disclaimer: I am not a writer. I just happened to get inspired and whip this together over the last 45 mins. Let me know what you think!

The sun hung low in the late afternoon sky and the cool wind carried a bite not felt since the end of spring. Chirstian looked down at his filthy, aching hands for a moment. He hated digging in the cold, and with dusk quickly approaching on a long September day with no notable finds, it was about time to throw in the towel.

Christian rose to his feet. He stood atop a spectacular 30 foot mountain of trash - part of a discarded mountain range that stretched for miles along the outer wall at the southeastern quadrant of citadel 117.

These hills used to be teeming with other diggers like himself, in search of treasures mistakenly (or purposefully) cast out by individuals inside the well guarded monstrosity that loomed before him. However, as the efficiencies afforded by low time preference proliferated inside these modern day marvels of human ingenuity, products became more reliable, citizens became more likely to repair and reuse, and regular dumps of waste became fewer and further between. What was formerly a bustling effort of thousands of non-hodlers rising and sinking like curious meerkats into the jagged, man-made landscape, was no more. A lack of citadel waste meant a lack of salvageable goods, and it was only a matter of time before bands of non-hodlers began migrating away from the wall to try their hand at hunting and gathering.

Defeated, Christian began navigating his way down the foul-smelling heap carefully. He’d spent the past few days on this particular mound and with the results he’d had (or lack thereof), it was likely time to relocate tomorrow morning. The idea of catching up with this morning’s recent decampment crossed his mind, but quickly vanished. They were long gone, his tracking skills were non-existent, and even if he DID catch up - his survival skills in the wild left plenty to be desired. He would only further encumber them.

“Ah… God drat it.” Glancing around, Christian realized his wandering mind had allowed him to stray from his forged path down to flat ground. How long had he been wandering? Looking back upwards, he couldn’t spot where he’d deviated. At this point he couldn’t be bothered. It would maybe be five more minutes of hurdling junk before hitting the trails below.

Swinging his leg over some crumpled metal, he gently eased himself over and tried to find the ground with his toes. That’s when he felt something sharp slide through the thin sole of his shoe like butter and begin to pierce his foot. Christian instinctively pulled back, but the sudden weight transfer caused him to lose his balance and begin to tumble. In a last ditch effort to minimize what was sure to be a painful fall, Christian pushed off the mound with his opposite foot and attempted to catapult himself towards a nearby broken couch.

It was a mildly successful effort. The landing resulted in a loud thud on some surprisingly firm cushions, and his shin bounced firmly off the underlying wood of the arm rest. Lying on his back, he drew his leg towards his abdomen and took a few deep breaths while rubbing what was sure to be a painful bruise. Christian looked up at the pile of aluminum and steel that earned him his new lumpy shin, and in the fleeting moments of sunlight, something caught his eye…

Hanging precariously from the edge of a small bedroom dresser was a distinct gold glint in the form of a necklace with a long medallion. Gold had largely lost its value in the wake of hyperbitcoinization throughout the 40’s and 50’s, but still retained some ornamental and industrial use cases. Perhaps he could barter with some of the remaining citadel leeches back at the camp. With his barter skills he could likely trade it with one of the remaining citadel leeches back at the camp. A small battery pack would give him enough juice to jump online for a little while to see what was new inside the walls. Living vicariously through citadel dwellers was one of the few joys in life left these days.

Christian pulled himself upwards and reached out, snatching the chain. He rotated it around to the clasp and squinted to see the engraving. 14 karat. Hmm, not bad - at least the day wasn’t a total waste at this point. Turning his attention to the other end of the chain, he noticed that it wasn’t a medallion, but instead a USB drive. As it was lifted slowly to his face, Christian’s pupils dilated as he read the white words printed on the front of the device:

OPENDIME

---> Bitcoin

Holy. loving. poo poo.

… to be continued?

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I had a lapse in judgement and got scammed. (self.CryptoCurrency)
submitted 1 day ago by cabogaboTin

Hi so this post is fye and for me to vent about my own stupidity.

So about an hour ago I was scammed by a YouTube livestream. Correction: I scammed myself because of a YouTube livestream.

I was browsing my home page on YouTube when I come across an ‘Ethereum Foundation’ livestream advertising a 100,000 ETH giveaway. I click on it and it has a couple thousand viewers and the channel has around 60k subs. I check the description and there’s a link with the giveaway instructions ‘signed’ by Vitalik Buterin. My stupid rear end looks at this and says ‘this looks legit, 3 eth for 15 eth in return, and if there’s none left you get your eth back! No downsides!!’

Well after I sent the 3 eth, I look through the channel uploads and it’s just some dude in Africa. I’m mad at myself for falling for such a dumb gimmick (I’ve been in the crypto space since October) and I’m really just writing this to get my frustration out. I know it’s not a terribly huge amount of money lost, but it still hurts that I could’ve been so stupid for those 5 min.

I know most of the people here already know about these scams, but I guess if someone hasn’t and they read this, it might save them some money (and shame) in the future.

I hope this gave you a laugh and I look forward to all the comments telling me I’m an idiot. :)

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

...! posted:

I had a lapse in judgement and got scammed. (self.CryptoCurrency)
submitted 1 day ago by cabogaboTin

Hi so this post is fye and for me to vent about my own stupidity.

So about an hour ago I was scammed by a YouTube livestream. Correction: I scammed myself because of a YouTube livestream.

I was browsing my home page on YouTube when I come across an ‘Ethereum Foundation’ livestream advertising a 100,000 ETH giveaway. I click on it and it has a couple thousand viewers and the channel has around 60k subs. I check the description and there’s a link with the giveaway instructions ‘signed’ by Vitalik Buterin. My stupid rear end looks at this and says ‘this looks legit, 3 eth for 15 eth in return, and if there’s none left you get your eth back! No downsides!!’

Well after I sent the 3 eth, I look through the channel uploads and it’s just some dude in Africa. I’m mad at myself for falling for such a dumb gimmick (I’ve been in the crypto space since October) and I’m really just writing this to get my frustration out. I know it’s not a terribly huge amount of money lost, but it still hurts that I could’ve been so stupid for those 5 min.

I know most of the people here already know about these scams, but I guess if someone hasn’t and they read this, it might save them some money (and shame) in the future.

I hope this gave you a laugh and I look forward to all the comments telling me I’m an idiot. :)

Glad to hear the scam actually works.

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Paladinus posted:

Glad to hear the scam actually works.

same, its kind of heart warming :unsmith:

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

i agree rosses mum, death is freedom

klafbang
Nov 18, 2009
Clapping Larry

...! posted:

In a post-apocalyptic world ... a USB drive. As it was lifted slowly to his face, Christian’s pupils dilated as he read the white words printed on the front of the device:

OPENDIME

---> Bitcoin

Not very believable. He was digging in a trash heap, not under a bird bath. I find it a challenging wank.

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

what

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

legal tender1

1on the blockchain2

2in some countries3

3it's me, i'm a country4

4and a boat5

5toot toot

klafbang
Nov 18, 2009
Clapping Larry
bitcoin: be your own country and redefine legal

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

in some countries? maybe? please?

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe

Boxturret posted:

legal tender1

1on the blockchain2

2in some countries3

3it's me, i'm a country4

4and a boat5

5toot toot

RoHS CE WEEE

...!
Oct 5, 2003

Hammerite posted:

RoHS CE WEEE

:wrong:

...!
Oct 5, 2003

buuuuuuuuuuuuuuuttcoooiiiiiiiiiiiiiiin

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

...! posted:

corretcr

klafbang
Nov 18, 2009
Clapping Larry

...! posted:

Nobody will be talking about buuuuuuuuuuuuuuuttcoooiiiiiiiiiiiiiiin in a month; it will be all buuuuuuuuuuuuuuuttcoooiiiiiiiiiiiiiiin sv and buuuuuuuuuuuuuuuttcoooiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiin

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

no one remembers bbbbbbbbbbbbbbbccccccccaaaaaaaaaaaaaasssssssssssssshhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh:smith:

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK
i do

oshkosh bcash

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Birdcoin

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!
but, coin??

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
"these buttcoins are making me lomarf!!"
—george coinstanza

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

...! posted:

In a post-apocalyptic world, a citadel castout may have just found his ticket back to civilization... (self.Bitcoin)
submitted 22 hours ago by benperrin117

Disclaimer: I am not a writer.

for once i agree whole-heartedly with a butter

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
https://twitter.com/ercwl/status/1228796221822820353

Blotto_Otter
Aug 16, 2013

Has nobody yet posted r/personalfinance's latest adventure in buttcoin taxation?

quote:

I owe more to the IRS than I will ever be able to pay, now what? (self.personalfinance)
submitted 1 day ago by BlueScreenTheBook​

The IRS says I owe them over $400,000. I make exactly $0 per year and have struggled to find a job the last three years, currently living with my mother.
The IRS says they "discovered" that in 2017 I made $1Million is bitcoin (not true). I basically traded bitcoin back and forth a bunch of times that I guess totaled $1million, so now I owe taxes on it (I just got a notice the other day).

The two tax people I called quoted me over $5,000 to take care of this, but again I have exactly $0 and no job. So, am I just waiting to go to jail at this point?

SEVERAL MINUTES LATER...

quote:

I paid $80,000 on $300,000 profit. Please don't tell me I didn't do something that I did.
The IRS is using TOTAL TRADES with $0 basis, is how they got the $1 million amount.

I paid $1,500 to have my taxes done and we did them right.

Why offer"advice" if you really just want to judge?

[...]

Well, I didn't file with them. I paid a ton to have them prepared, then they wanted double that to keep working on it so I said never mind and thought I'd save money doing the filing myself.

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

This post is dedicated to the brave Mujahideen fighters of Afghanistan

Blotto_Otter posted:

Has nobody yet posted r/personalfinance's latest adventure in buttcoin taxation?

SEVERAL MINUTES LATER...

I mean to be fair to that guy it sounds like he didn’t properly report or the agent just has no idea how to read trades.

as someone who spent 3 years straight dealing with hsa withdrawals for medical expenses being classified by the irs as early withdrawals and sitting on calls with agents reexplaining it over and over until they understood, which made me ultimately just go back to a regular medical plan... I feel his pain especially since because he trades bitcoins he almost certainly isn’t equipped with enough intelligence to explain himself properly

KnifeWrench
May 25, 2007

Practical and safe.

Bleak Gremlin
I had a year where the IRS assumed my basis was $0 due to not reading the form correctly or something

fortunately it was a grown up regulated transaction that actually had a form to first misread and then use to clear up the confusion so it was only a minor annoyance

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

but if we used the blockchain errors would be preserved for all time just like satoshi intended

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

also all agreements, forms, and contracts will be handled entirely by perfect infallible software

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

and don't forget that you can charge your toaster rent and kick it out if it can't pay and due to blockchain based ai it will actually feel sadness and hate!

Blotto_Otter
Aug 16, 2013

Vomik posted:

I mean to be fair to that guy it sounds like he didn’t properly report or the agent just has no idea how to read trades.

He definitely didn't report the basis of his trades right, probably because his records were a poo poo mess and untangling his trading history was going to be a nightmare - which his CPAs realized and upped their bill for all the extra time that'd take, and he cheaped out and decided to do it himself. There's no way the bill from the IRS is right, but now he's gonna have to shell out even more to fix his filing, or risk getting destroyed by the IRS because he doesn't know what he's doing.

His responses in that thread are pretty fantastic, my favorite is the series of events where everyone tries to puzzle out how he's now penniless after netting $220,000 after-tax at the close of 2017...

"What happened to all the money you made?"
bought a house
"So take out a loan against the house to pay for a CPA/tax attorney"
can't, don't have a house
"... what happened to the house you just bought?"
sold it
"... what on earth happened to the money from selling the house?!?"
spent it

...!
Oct 5, 2003

https://mobile.twitter.com/RealRossU/status/1230905323143086080

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK
that`s stdh.txt, froosty

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Weatherman posted:

that`s stdh.txt, froosty

You would know.

Adbot