Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

grate deceiver posted:

It's the best sci-fi show of, I don't know, the last 20 years?

I'm sorry but Battlestar Galactica would like to have a word with you

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Try watching BSG again. Most of the actors are bad and it just doesn't hold up anymore. Expanse is like if scifi was actually good.

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

Mu Zeta posted:

Try watching BSG again. Most of the actors are bad and it just doesn't hold up anymore. Expanse is like if scifi was actually good.

I have and this isn't true. I love the expanse but lol if you think the main character, Holden, is a good actor.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
It makes sense PM officers cant go on strike because they are military and subject to military law

Im totally in favor of demilitarizing the police, though. And then they could strike all they want

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

The 20+ episode seasons they decided to go with for the early 2000s BSG made for some really terrible stories.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

D-Pad posted:

I have and this isn't true. I love the expanse but lol if you think the main character, Holden, is a good actor.

Holden sucks but expanse succeeds despite him

Expanse is waaaaaaaay better than BSG sorry

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
I'd recommend watching the amazing first episode of BSG and just stopping there. There are some other ok moments but that's the highest ROI play.

No Wave fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Feb 21, 2020

Antifa Poltergeist
Jun 3, 2004

"We're not laughing with you, we're laughing at you"

Technically dark and black mirror are sci-fi, so the expanse is nearly the best sci-fi show in the last 20 years

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

phosdex posted:

The 20+ episode seasons they decided to go with for the early 2000s BSG made for some really terrible stories.

I agree that is a a major issue with BSG. My take I The Expanse overall is a better quality show than BSG, but I still prefer BSG when picking favorites. Biggest reason for me is the highs of BSG are much higher than The Expanse so far (to be fair the lows of BSG are lower). Honestly I would take the ‘The Adama Maneuver’ or even the final five reveal over anything I have experienced with The Expanse.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Mary McDonald is a better actor than any regular on the Expanse. No one even comes close.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

Open Source Idiom posted:

Mary McDonald is a better actor than any regular on the Expanse. No one even comes close.

100% agree.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
I think BSG is still better in spite of all its glaring faults. I watched only a year ago and it was a blast. The plot was a mess and only got messier as it advanced, but still it was always so fun to watch and it had lots of memorable moments

Expanse is pretty great too and the best in the genre currently airing

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

I liked how hard BSG committed to its tone/style, I really lost interest once they started going outdoors.

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL
I loved BSG. Went to public showings of the final season (or two?) in a theater and the Adama Maneuver will likely never be topped in terms of badassery. BUT The Expanse is better in almost every way as far as I'm concerned. But that might just be that the Expanse maybe never got as dumb as BSG, I agree that the highs are higher in BSG though.

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe
I'm in the mood for a good comedy series. Anyone have any suggestions?

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Silucon Valley's first few seasons were great. I watched the whole thing but the first 2 or 3 were the best of em.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

DaveWoo posted:

Toast of london
What we do in the shadows

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
I've been binging a lot of Schitt's Creek recently. It's the best feel good show I know of.

In terms of pure laughs, big fan of recent shows The Detour and What We Do In The Shadows. I Think You Should Leave is very good too.

Avenue Five is the best currently airing comedy, but I say that with the caveat that it's not as funny as many other comedies. It's just very very good and super super hosed up. (Also the trailers give a really bad impression of what the show is actually like).

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug

I've been binging a lot of Schitt's Creek recently. It's the best feel good show I know of.

In terms of pure laughs, big fan of recent shows The Detour and What We Do In The Shadows. I Think You Should Leave is very good too.

Avenue Five is the best currently airing comedy, but I say that with the caveat that it's not as funny as many other comedies. It's just very very good and super super hosed up. (Also the trailers give a really bad impression of what the show is actually like).

Avenue 5 is pretty interesting, but you need to understand what you're going into. If you expect a wacky parody of disaster stories like Airplane! with lots of jokes, sight gags, and riffs on specific media you'll be really disappointed. It parodies the disaster genre like Veep does political dramas, with a bunch of bickering assholes digging themselves ever deeper into difficult situations.

I think what made me turn the corner from just watching it to looking forward to it was when I realized that every episode adds a bit more horror strings to the theme and everyone's clearly acting more stressed and irrationally than the week before. It makes me wonder where they're going.

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL

Zaphod42 posted:

Toast of london
What we do in the shadows

Antifa Poltergeist
Jun 3, 2004

"We're not laughing with you, we're laughing at you"

The good place, Brooklyn 99, fleabag, aaaaaaannnnnnd letterkenny

Raspberry Bang
Feb 14, 2007

DaveWoo posted:

Corporate is great and should not be missed.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Oh yeah, seconding Corporate. The fact that the show foresaw the "warpaint" = "makeup for men" trend is hilarious.

Also Harley Quinn's first season just finished airing and it's genuinely really funny.

Stabitha
Mar 11, 2005

You lookin' at me? Don't.

DuhSal posted:

finished all of Schitt's Creek that was available on Netflix and I adored it front to back. now to find a way to watch the final season..

Schitt’s Creek is my all-time favorite show. I’ve binge watched through seasons 1-5 at least 6 times since January. 😂

If you have cable that includes PopTV, you can use your cable login to access season 6 through the PopTV app or their website.

If you don’t have the Pop channel, you can buy access to Schitt’s Creek through Amazon or YouTube.

It’s also available through YouTube TV if you subscribe to that.

And the last place you can watch season 6 is Hulu Live but not regular Hulu.

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

Oh yeah, seconding Corporate. The fact that the show foresaw the "warpaint" = "makeup for men" trend is hilarious.

Also Harley Quinn's first season just finished airing and it's genuinely really funny.

The what trend now?

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

D-Pad posted:

The what trend now?

https://warpaintformen.com

Corporate made the joke and then real life was like psyche!

Mrenda
Mar 14, 2012
The Expanse is a really bad and really silly show. The acting, with a few (actually quite good) exceptions, is awful, and it obviously suffers from being something based off an RPG campaign. The characters keep getting in bigger and badder hijinks, completely centering on them, and despite adding more and more people to the show they all become the most super duper important people in the universe. It's entirely run by nerds who think adding bigger, flashier more excitement, excitement after excitement, ramp up the bullshit excitement is the be all and end all of drama.

It's a pointless show that offers zero humanity and is just as much nerd bait trash as the worst of superhero films.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Mrenda posted:

The Expanse is a really bad and really silly show. The acting, with a few (actually quite good) exceptions, is awful, and it obviously suffers from being something based off an RPG campaign. The characters keep getting in bigger and badder hijinks, completely centering on them, and despite adding more and more people to the show they all become the most super duper important people in the universe. It's entirely run by nerds who think adding bigger, flashier more excitement, excitement after excitement, ramp up the bullshit excitement is the be all and end all of drama.

It's a pointless show that offers zero humanity and is just as much nerd bait trash as the worst of superhero films.
I disagree

Prairie Bus
Sep 22, 2006

Killer robot posted:

I think what made me turn the corner from just watching it to looking forward to it was when I realized that every episode adds a bit more horror strings to the theme and everyone's clearly acting more stressed and irrationally than the week before. It makes me wonder where they're going.

I really thought they were going to space Karen’s husband. I kinda wish they had done that. Still hoping the show gets that dark.

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

https://warpaintformen.com

Corporate made the joke and then real life was like psyche!

Oh so it's just regular makeup with bro branding. I thought you meant like actual war paint was becoming a thing.

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer

Mrenda posted:

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Mrenda posted:

While I do enjoy The Expanse, there are some good points here I cant disagree with

DuhSal
Aug 16, 2004

I will, brother. I promise.

Pillbug

Stabitha posted:

Schitt’s Creek is my all-time favorite show. I’ve binge watched through seasons 1-5 at least 6 times since January. 😂

If you have cable that includes PopTV, you can use your cable login to access season 6 through the PopTV app or their website.

If you don’t have the Pop channel, you can buy access to Schitt’s Creek through Amazon or YouTube.

It’s also available through YouTube TV if you subscribe to that.

And the last place you can watch season 6 is Hulu Live but not regular Hulu.

I'm watching the new season on CBC Gem here in Canada. So good. I've only watched the show once so far but I can easily see myself watching it over and over. Just a highly addictive feel good show.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Mrenda posted:

I don’t know if you know this but you just described most Sci fi

anatomi
Jan 31, 2015

I want to like the Hunters. I really do. But it misses its Tarantino-esque mark 90% of the time.

The dialogue is horrible. And the humor is juvenile as hell. It's like a gaggle of teenage boys wrote this poo poo.

That said, it's a good-looking and occasionally very well-acted poo poo.

Rain Brain
Dec 15, 2006

in ghostlier demarcations, keener sounds
Is anyone watching Beforeigners? I checked out the first couple episodes this weekend (the whole first series is on HBO) and am enjoying it. It's a Norwegian production about a world where ~15 years ago people started appearing from the past (going back at least 10,000 years) and we're following two cops, one a former Viking shieldmaiden, as they solve a murder. Really good production design and I'm torn between wanting more information about how the world now works and being happy with just what I can infer.

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

Rain Brain posted:

Is anyone watching Beforeigners? I checked out the first couple episodes this weekend (the whole first series is on HBO) and am enjoying it. It's a Norwegian production about a world where ~15 years ago people started appearing from the past (going back at least 10,000 years) and we're following two cops, one a former Viking shieldmaiden, as they solve a murder. Really good production design and I'm torn between wanting more information about how the world now works and being happy with just what I can infer.

If you like this check out Occupied on Netflix. It is also a really great norwegian what if show.

CeeJee
Dec 4, 2001
Oven Wrangler

Rain Brain posted:

I just started on it and it's like the anti-Leftovers with people appearing instead of vanishing and none of the existential dread of a world where science and religion are at a loss to explain what happened. The elevator pitch for this must have been 'A washed out cop has a new partner.... Lagertha !'

D-Pad posted:

If you like this check out Occupied on Netflix. It is also a really great norwegian what if show.

Occupied is cool but suffers from some weak performances, apart from Sidorova, who is amazing, I couldn't name or accurately describe anyone from the show. I need to see season 3 and listen to the excellent podcast on the show from some fans.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
I watched The Dark Crystal: Age of Resistance this week and man I really love puppets. The amount of craft that went into this things is amazing and I really hope there's a second season.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sourdough Sam
May 2, 2010

:dukedog:

anatomi posted:

I want to like the Hunters. I really do. But it misses its Tarantino-esque mark 90% of the time.

The dialogue is horrible. And the humor is juvenile as hell. It's like a gaggle of teenage boys wrote this poo poo.

That said, it's a good-looking and occasionally very well-acted poo poo.

Yeah this show is pure dogshit. I'm only two episodes in but they seriously pulled a Suicide Squad style character namecard thing after opening with yet another cartoonish and weightless depiction of the holocaust. This show is absolutely written by film school Tarantino wannabes who read the Wikipedia page on Judaism.