Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

internet celebrity
Jun 23, 2006

College Slice
I don't have any experience with Cherry whites but you might like Kailh box navies - higher actuation force, super tactile and satisfying. It's definitely more of a high pitch click than a thock though, it sounds almost exactly like a clicky pen to me and they click twice per keystroke. AFAIK no one is making pre-built boards with them but you can get something like a hot swappable Drop or GMMK barebones board and put them in yourself without soldering.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Decided I was tired of my super-cheap keyboard with "outemu" browns (having typed on a few other keyboards from more reputable manufacturers, I'm convinced those switches were knockoffs of knockoffs) and bought a Durgod K310 with Cherry Blacks.

Much better overall. Getting much fewer inadvertent keys with the higher actuation force.

bub
Apr 9, 2001
ffffffffffff

iddqd posted:

Anyone know what cap set this is, or maybe something similar? It looks so clean.

The board is the Conone 65.

these are good if you don't need the japanese legends, more colors available too https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07HC9B9C9/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&th=1

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

MOOD: BURNING - MUSIC: DISCO INFERNO BY THE TRAMMPS
Grimey Drawer

Mistikman posted:

I made the mistake of falling in love with the Cherry MX White switches, since I guess they tend to have had some major quality control issues from the beginning, so everyone avoids them, leading to very few boards being made with them.

I got a board that feels beautiful using them, and I was wondering what switches out there feel closest to the Cherry MX Whites for future purchases.

I have so far experienced Cherry MX Blue, Brown, Green, and obviously White.

The white doesn't have a 'click' sound, but more of a 'thock' at the bottom of the press, but is tactile with a high actuation force. I figured the green should be close, but it's a lot less satisfying when typing.

I am happy to try other brands, but I have never built my own board so a brand that has pre-built boards that look good would be ideal.

You could always get a prebuilt keyboard with hotswap sockets so you can just put whatever you want in there...

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

trip report of using a ducky 80% cherry mx blue for the past month or so, after proooobably a decade of using rubber-dome $10 logitech boards after my last Model-M failed-

its good

it's not as CHONKY-feeling as a model m, of course, but it reminds me very fondly of computers I used when I was a kid in the late 80s/early 90s, like the VIC-20

I wanna take it everywhere with my laptop, which has keys like lil raised plates and sucks- so much slower typing on this thing than on my desktop

I can't afford a buncha rad keyboards, so this is gonna be my main one for some years; missing a tenkey, but not as much as I thought I would

also it looks so slick, not being covered in gamer greeble

11/10

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Folks I've decided that I'd like to pick up a new keyboard and you all seem like a decent bunch to pester with questions. If you have any general guidelines as to what would best fit my situation I'd certainly be happy to hear them.

Past preference: The only mechanical keyboard I've ever used is an old Razer Blackwidow from around 2013 or so. It's been fine, but that's all the reference I have for this sort of thing.

Size: I travel for work all the time so while I do prefer having a numpad, 80% seems the most practical for having to mix and match with client machines (read: no macros), but I'd be down for 60%/75% as well. A travel case/cover would be nice as well so I could just shove it into my backpack/carryon.

Switches: I enjoy a bit of click and clack, but I'm going to be working in open office environments 99% of the time, so quiet as possible switches are going to be a must.

Misc: Bluetooth and/or USB-C would be ideal. I'd settle for microUSB as well. I'll most often be using this on machines that I don't have elevated rights on, so no crazy firmware stuff would be preferable. Also readily cross platform as I use every OS under the sun.

A coworker had some model of Vortex keyboard and I thought it seemed pretty neat. Good weight and profile to it; the carrying case was nice as well. I think he had some dumb (good dumb) custom made cord for it as well. Not sure what model it was. He apparently got it off Massdrop some time ago, but that appears to have changed a great deal since I was last there; I wasn't able to find any past drops with Vortex but I've never been able to find anything on there anyway. I'll go look around for one of those switch demo mini keyboard dohickeys in the meantime.

Warbird fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Feb 14, 2020

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
I got a Logitech with Romer G switches and it was the worst 'mechanical' keyboard Ive ever tried.

Here is a review: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5xNFQJJR1Zw

TLDR never buy this thing. Get a rubber dome or something.. yikes.

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

redeyes posted:

I got a Logitech with Romer G switches and it was the worst 'mechanical' keyboard Ive ever tried.

Yeah, Romer-G are Logitech's proprietary switch and when I tried them in the store, the keypress felt so light that I was 99% sure I was accidentally triggering keypresses just by resting my fingers on the home row.

I get what they were going for - something light, fast, and response enough for MAXIMUM GAMING - but I came away from the experience relatively certain that they weren't for me.

I'm not sure what I'll do when this G510 eventually follows its predecessor G15 to the graveyard - hopefully they'll have reintroduced something with a similar layout and not-Romer-G by then.

Constellation I
Apr 3, 2005
I'm a sucker, a little fucker.

redeyes posted:

That's what happens when the priority is to have the switch emit as much RGB as possible with the hollow center column of the stems. Hilariously enough it's not even a factor on that keyboard with it's printed-on legends.

LuckyCat
Jul 26, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Warbird posted:

Folks I've decided that I'd like to pick up a new keyboard and you all seem like a decent bunch to pester with questions. If you have any general guidelines as to what would best fit my situation I'd certainly be happy to hear them.

Past preference: The only mechanical keyboard I've ever used is an old Razer Blackwidow from around 2013 or so. It's been fine, but that's all the reference I have for this sort of thing.

Size: I travel for work all the time so while I do prefer having a numpad, 80% seems the most practical for having to mix and match with client machines (read: no macros), but I'd be down for 60%/75% as well. A travel case/cover would be nice as well so I could just shove it into my backpack/carryon.

Switches: I enjoy a bit of click and clack, but I'm going to be working in open office environments 99% of the time, so quiet as possible switches are going to be a must.

Misc: Bluetooth and/or USB-C would be ideal. I'd settle for microUSB as well. I'll most often be using this on machines that I don't have elevated rights on, so no crazy firmware stuff would be preferable. Also readily cross platform as I use every OS under the sun.

A coworker had some model of Vortex keyboard and I thought it seemed pretty neat. Good weight and profile to it; the carrying case was nice as well. I think he had some dumb (good dumb) custom made cord for it as well. Not sure what model it was. He apparently got it off Massdrop some time ago, but that appears to have changed a great deal since I was last there; I wasn't able to find any past drops with Vortex but I've never been able to find anything on there anyway. I'll go look around for one of those switch demo mini keyboard dohickeys in the meantime.

For work I use the Keychron K4. It's a Bluetooth/USB-C 96-key. Basically, it has almost all the buttons of a full-size keyboard (I need numpad for my job) but in a more compact form factor. You can get it with Gateron Red switches which are decently quiet.

I also have a Leopold keyboard sleeve I pack it in every day that it fits perfectly in.

Next to a full-size Ducky One 2:

LuckyCat fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Feb 15, 2020

Warbird
May 23, 2012

iddqd posted:

For work I use the Keychron K4. It's a Bluetooth/USB-C 96-key. Basically, it has almost all the buttons of a full-size keyboard (I need numpad for my job) but in a more compact form factor. You can get it with Gateron Red switches which are decently quiet.

I also have a Leopold keyboard sleeve I pack it in every day that it fits perfectly in.

Next to a full-size Ducky One 2:

Thanks for the suggestion! I’ll take a look at it. I assume most folks source from Mechanicalkeyboards.com?

LuckyCat
Jul 26, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Warbird posted:

Thanks for the suggestion! I’ll take a look at it. I assume most folks source from Mechanicalkeyboards.com?

The Keychron K4 can be had from Amazon (linked in post above). As much as I'd prefer to buy from MK.com, Amazon was able to get it to me in 1 day. I also bought some 1.5mm thick PBT keycaps to put on the board which gave it an overall thicker tone. Finally, the keyboard stab was not lubed correctly from factory and sounded like a dying chipmunk every time I hit it, so I ordered some dialectric grease and used an earwax remover tool and a pair of pliers to get it where it needed to be to stop the squeak.

Overall I am satisfied enough with the K4 that I have the new Keychron K6 pre-ordered for home use. I'm stoked because I have bags of Holy Panda switches and Kaihl BOX Jades sitting here unused.

LuckyCat fucked around with this message at 01:41 on Feb 16, 2020

Warbird
May 23, 2012

Any reason why MK would have been preferred over Amazon? Also, it seems some folks say that it’s a bit too tall for their liking, do you use it with a wrist pad? I don’t type all the time so I’m not too worried about it.

LuckyCat
Jul 26, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Warbird posted:

Any reason why MK would have been preferred over Amazon? Also, it seems some folks say that it’s a bit too tall for their liking, do you use it with a wrist pad? I don’t type all the time so I’m not too worried about it.

I just prefer to support specialty/niche businesses that are smaller. Amazon is just so drat convenient.

I don't use a wrist pad. Maybe I'm strange but I don't find it too tall at all. I have tiny hands (I'm a 5'5" manlet with the hands of a toddler) and it's fine. It helps that at home I'm just using WASD and mouse for gaming, mainly. At work I have a standing desk so my angle of attack is from above.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

I've been doing a fair bit of looking around and I'm torn between the Vortex Tab 90 and 90M. The 90 is perfect, but I'm not a fan of the plastic frame and lack of adjustable feet. The 90M is also great, but lacks bluetooth with I can get over, but would really prefer to have as an option. Is it safe to assume I could just swap in "taller" feet at the top of the board to get a more angled feel?

Head Bee Guy
Jun 12, 2011

Retarded for Busting
Grimey Drawer
So I got a unicomp model m, what custom key caps can i get? looking to get something like

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06XG97HXR/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_2VktEb7PVR94A

Dr. Capco
May 21, 2007

Pillbug
Does anybody have a keyboard suggestion that has the same type of switches/key feel as the Logitech g815 clicky? I don't really like the keyboard/software itself but the feel of the keys are amazing and not super clakity like the blackwidow ultimate I have now.

HappyCapybaraFamily
Sep 16, 2009

Roger Baolong Thunder Dragon has been fascinated by this sophisticated and scientifically beautiful industry since childhood, and has shown his talent in the design and manufacture of watches.

Head Bee Guy posted:

So I got a unicomp model m, what custom key caps can i get? looking to get something like

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06XG97HXR/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_2VktEb7PVR94A

Not a lot of options out there for Model Ms because they're not nearly as ubiquitous as Cherry MX-compatible boards. You might have to get a custom set made by a place like this to get what you're looking for above: https://www.fentek-ind.com/keys.htm (scroll to the bottom; they can allegedly custom print a set for your Model M).

Unicomp also has a few options, though nothing quite like what you're looking for: https://www.pckeyboard.com/page/category/Buttons

Happy_Misanthrope
Aug 3, 2007

"I wanted to kill you, go to your funeral, and anyone who showed up to mourn you, I wanted to kill them too."
As I swap constantly between my PC and my Mac I need a keyboard with BT multi-device connectivity, but drat all the affordable wireless mechanical models with this functionality are 71-keys without a dedicated function key row which is a no-go for me. This Drevo would be absolutely perfect, save for the lack of F keys.

Are there models like this with function keys that I'm missing, that are also under $100?

Exit Strategy
Dec 10, 2010

by sebmojo
I've been working.

A friend commissioned me - two years ago - to design a custom gaming board for him. He hates his Logitech, mostly because of those stupid loving Omron Romer-G switches. He wanted something better. Something repairable, that uses standardized keycaps and can store macros. Something that doesn't need software on the machine end. AT90USB1286, USB-C, fixed-color per-key backlight, an OLED display for lock and layer status, and toggle switches for things like muting Discord or in-game voice chats.

Behold:

Prototype run has been started up, and I've also ordered a run of these:

Which are a version of my 64-key board, with a similar featureset. Fifteen WS2812Bs on the underside of the PCB provide RGB underlight instead of per-key backlight. This new model is also compatible with MX, Alps, and Choc switches.

Anyone interested in either?

Exit Strategy fucked around with this message at 00:50 on Feb 22, 2020

mewse
May 2, 2006

Exit Strategy posted:

I like the MAXIMUM KEYS board but is there an existing case and plate?

Exit Strategy
Dec 10, 2010

by sebmojo

mewse posted:

I like the MAXIMUM KEYS board but is there an existing case and plate?

I'd be more than happy to throw the cost of me laser-cutting a steel or aluminum plate case in. Or, perhaps, a big-rear end acrylic block with a steel plate.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:
:popeye:
Do you have a laser that can cut steel and aluminum plate? How much power do you need to do it?

Exit Strategy
Dec 10, 2010

by sebmojo

taqueso posted:

:popeye:
Do you have a laser that can cut steel and aluminum plate? How much power do you need to do it?

Let's say that I have access to such a laser at my hackerspace.

dick traceroute
Feb 24, 2010

Open the pod bay doors, Hal.
Grimey Drawer
I wish I lived in a town cool enough to have one of those

Maybe should start one, hm

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:
Could you share the footprint / info on how to make the board compatible with all the switch types?

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

Please tell me more about this keyboard i can bludgeon a man to death with.

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

MOOD: BURNING - MUSIC: DISCO INFERNO BY THE TRAMMPS
Grimey Drawer

Deviant posted:

:yeah:

Warbird
May 23, 2012

Throw some bluetooth in that monster and let's get stoopid

Exit Strategy
Dec 10, 2010

by sebmojo

taqueso posted:

Could you share the footprint / info on how to make the board compatible with all the switch types?

Sure. I made that one, but it turns out I just duplicated work by bakingpy from keeb.io. The footprint's available at his GitHub: https://github.com/keebio/Keebio-Parts.pretty

Deviant posted:

Commissioned by a wretched gamer long ago in the distant past, the Sweet Business keyboard exists as a replacement for Logitech's inarguably lovely gaming boards. It runs QMK and therefore has macro functionality, with 128kb of storage in its MCU for features and macros. It also supports an innovative feature that I found extremely useful for doing things like muting Discord or ingame voice chats: Toggle switches, worked into the matrix as F13 through F16. An organic LED display shows lock states, layer transition state, and configuration information as well as providing an interface for QMK's Terminal Mode, where you basically disconnect the keyboard from the computer and talk to the MCU directly. Prototypes are being manufactured in China, but if I move to production runs they'll be made right here in the US.

Warbird posted:

Throw some bluetooth in that monster and let's get stoopid

INTERIOR, OFFICE

Warbird opens up the duffel bag that contains his keyboard. He removes the hulking behemoth, its steel-and-acrylic case gleaming in the pale light of the IT department. As he sets the board down, the particle board of the desk creaks and settles. Plugging the board into the car battery in the duffel, he opens the missile switch on the side and energizes the board's hardware. A Bluetooth sync transmission detectable on cell phones in Bangladesh is fired from the board, ending all life within a thirty-foot radius.

DoctorOfLawls
Mar 2, 2001

SA's Brazilian Diplomat
Hi goons. My 11-year old asked me for a 60% keyboard - he suggested an Anne Pro 2 or a Ducky One 2 Mini. As I have always used full keyboards, I am not sure what to get him. Do you recommend either of those, or something else entirely? He will be playing Fortnite and other shooters - currently he has a full gaming keyboard as a hand-me-down from one of my earlier builds. Thank you.

.Z.
Jan 12, 2008

DoctorOfLawls posted:

Hi goons. My 11-year old asked me for a 60% keyboard - he suggested an Anne Pro 2 or a Ducky One 2 Mini. As I have always used full keyboards, I am not sure what to get him. Do you recommend either of those, or something else entirely? He will be playing Fortnite and other shooters - currently he has a full gaming keyboard as a hand-me-down from one of my earlier builds. Thank you.

Honestly, either one would be fine for him.

One suggestion I would make is to have him look at the Durgod Hades 68: https://smile.amazon.com/Durgod-Hades-68-Mechanical-Keyboard/dp/B07V5ND18H/
It's the same price as the Ducky, but comes with arrow keys. The arrow keys do make it slightly larger, but I've found I hate not having dedicated arrow keys.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Exit Strategy posted:

I've always wanted something like this but I suspect it's going to cost a bundle?

runaway dog
Dec 11, 2005

I rarely go into the field, motherfucker.
Holy poo poo these Gateron brown optical switches on this gk-61 are the most buttery switches I've ever used, so smooth! Coming from mx browns on Filco Majestouch and romer-g tactile.

Also not having the metal bar stabilizers on the big keys is a huge improvement.

peepsalot
Apr 24, 2007

PEEP THIS...
           BITCH!

peepsalot posted:

BTW, has anyone had any luck with breakaway/magnetic usb-c adapter dealies?
I tried one of these: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07Z7XKP76
But it seems the magnetic connection is not quite strong enough to avoid intermittent connection when keyboard is shifted around.
I use the keyboard in my lap from the couch often, and results in me moving keyboard on/off lap frequently(mainly due to 2 needy kitties), and so any small movement jiggles the port enough that backlight flickers etc. so I gave up using that particular adapter for this purpose.

Hey just bumping a silly question i had a whi...
Oh, what's that you say? Nope, no particular reason...

Exit Strategy
Dec 10, 2010

by sebmojo

~Coxy posted:

I've always wanted something like this but I suspect it's going to cost a bundle?

With Goon discount you're looking at about $250 shipped for a prototype. Once we get up to full-scale production I'll have better numbers, especially if we move to an injection-molded case instead of CNC acrylic.

The parts for the prototypes will be in next week or the week after - When that happens and I've got the first unit assembled I'll take pictures.

e: Sweet Business now features a rotary encoder with a huge, chunky aluminum knob. It's delightful.

Exit Strategy fucked around with this message at 16:37 on Feb 25, 2020

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

peepsalot posted:

Hey just bumping a silly question i had a whi...
Oh, what's that you say? Nope, no particular reason...

drat dude that's impressive. Those cables are resilient as gently caress.

I don't know if you're going to find an adapter that will fit in that little slot the Durgod has for its USB-C connection.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Here’s what I hope is a dumb problem, I have a Logitech g610 and all of a sudden it don’t register the same key more than once in a row.

Like q is fine, but I can’t type qq. And it’s making me qq. Any idea how I can fix that?

E : I’m a dumbass but I got it working nm

E2 here’s a cat to make up for it

Snowy fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Feb 25, 2020

SoftNum
Mar 31, 2011

Snowy posted:

Here’s what I hope is a dumb problem, I have a Logitech g610 and all of a sudden it don’t register the same key more than once in a row.

Like q is fine, but I can’t type qq. And it’s making me qq. Any idea how I can fix that?

You turned Filter Keys on. hold right-shift for a while.

e: e;fb

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Takkaryx
Oct 17, 2007

Bunnies (very useful) Scientific Facts: Bunnies never close doors
I'm making my first foray into custom mechanical keyboards! I have a steelseries mechanical at home with linear switches close to MX Reds that I have fallen in love with. So much so that my typing at work has started to suffer because of the super slim chiclet keys on my work keyboard. I love the look of this base:

Specifically the aluminium frame, 10 key and the non-existent bezel. But, I'm not sold on the key caps. I know this is a non-standard layout, but the caps themselves look to be standard? What keywords should I be searching for to get a full set replacement?