Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
looks like its happening

https://www.nbcsandiego.com/news/local/costco-food-court-soon-to-be-exclusive-for-members/2268727/

communion only for True Believers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Gonna be interesting at all of the outdoor foodcourts around here.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
The Costcos by my work and my home (I'm less then 1 mile away from 2 different Costco stores yay for Socal) always have at least 20 people milling around at the food court. Going during Sunday there are 4 lines and it takes 15+ min just to get to the window.

The first day of the change over is going to suck bad for the concession employees. It would make more sense to have Club member price and non member price. The hot dog and drink for $3 is still a good deal for lunch.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
It makes sense. It's a loss leader so they only lose money on people without memberships.

Having a tiered system would suck. Then I'd need to swipe my card or something each time I want a dog.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

A Pack of Kobolds posted:

They really are gorgeous, and it's a mountain range named after boobs so that's pretty funny.

Last time I was at Costco I found these under-the-bed storage bins that have turned out to be really useful. I'm going to buy more next time I go. I should get more of those stacking bins, too. Great organization and storage options from church, PBUC.

The clear bins are my jam for project tools. I have two that are all drywall and paint tools and supplies and I can see what I need before digging around. Same with my plumbing and electrical bins, and those with car parts. Too bad the lid latches are garbage on them.

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

:blastu::dogcited:
Lipstick Apathy

I wonder why they would do this. Less people buying pizza and dawgs = less monies right? Plus my local Costco has an outdoor foodcourt so idk how that works.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

ShortyMR.CAT posted:

I wonder why they would do this. Less people buying pizza and dawgs = less monies right? Plus my local Costco has an outdoor foodcourt so idk how that works.

The outdoor ones are the reason Costco is even bothering with this.

graventy
Jul 28, 2006

Fun Shoe
Visited church today and if I die from eating it's probably going to be these milk chocolate almond toffee clusters. Goddamn!

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

ShortyMR.CAT posted:

Because it's losing them money. Pennywise was right with this:

Pennywise the Frown posted:

It makes sense. It's a loss leader so they only lose money on people without memberships.

Check out this post from earlier:

Chinatown posted:

Visited a Costco Business Center today for the first time. Its wild. Actually a great place if you want cooking equipment, pans, etc.

Also. UNGHF. BEEF

Look at the price on those dogs (they're basically the same ones they sell to us for $1.50) and do the math. 120 links for $1.05 is about $.80 per dog. Now, that's what they're selling them to businesses for in bulk, so they're making money on that. Cut some off that price. Then add in buns and most importantly employee labor and whatever pennies the pop costs and boom, they're losing money on selling them. MAYBE breaking even. Which they're fine with for the same reason they'll keep losing money selling us $5 roasters - it's one of the things that gets us in the door to buy the poo poo they make money on.

But they're not a food bank and if they're losing money on non-customers i can see why the are getting rid of it.

It sucks for the people who just want affordable food and can't afford a membership, but it's understandable.

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

astral posted:

The outdoor ones are the reason Costco is even bothering with this.

But! how lose money when people buy lotsa pizza! Costco makes money more that way?! YES?!

I was more surprised by the news that stopped being cash only so many years ago.

Dely Apple
Apr 22, 2006

Sing me Spanish Techno

graventy posted:

Visited church today and if I die from eating it's probably going to be these milk chocolate almond toffee clusters. Goddamn!

Someone evil keeps putting them in the break room fridge and everyone is eating them

The prime coronavirus vector, the hands in the drat cluster jar

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

ShortyMR.CAT posted:

But! how lose money when people buy lotsa pizza! Costco makes money more that way?! YES?!

I was more surprised by the news that stopped being cash only so many years ago.

The foodcourt makes Costco literally no money. It exists to draw members in and makes the whole "Costco experience" better.

Cyrano4747 posted:

Look at the price on those dogs (they're basically the same ones they sell to us for $1.50) and do the math. 120 links for $1.05 is about $.80 per dog. Now, that's what they're selling them to businesses for in bulk, so they're making money on that. Cut some off that price. Then add in buns and most importantly employee labor and whatever pennies the pop costs and boom, they're losing money on selling them. MAYBE breaking even. Which they're fine with for the same reason they'll keep losing money selling us $5 roasters - it's one of the things that gets us in the door to buy the poo poo they make money on.

But they're not a food bank and if they're losing money on non-customers i can see why the are getting rid of it.

It sucks for the people who just want affordable food and can't afford a membership, but it's understandable.

I noticed this too. When you factor in the bun, condiments, and worker pay its definitely a loss leader. PBUC for that.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Honestly the fact that the food court exists is kinda proof that Costco leadership isn't like normal companies. Most corporations would have seen that as an unnecessary expense and either raised prices to make a profit or just cut it out entirely.

Like. . . . have any of you been to a Sams Club?

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
It requires a big picture view, which no, most people do not seem to have

Unlike a fair number of people in this thread, I often go to Costco and do not purchase anything in the store. I'll only buy something if they have what I want. However, I will usually get a nonfat yogurt on my way out, which makes me feel like it wasn't a complete waste of my time. Without that, I'm just going there and leaving without buying anything and then I just feel kind of pissed off

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Chinatown posted:

The foodcourt makes Costco literally no money. It exists to draw members in and makes the whole "Costco experience" better.

This isn't necessarily true for all locations or all periods, but yes generally. There's a reason they've been trying to introduce higher profit items. Granted most of those have done extremely poorly because why would you buy a five dollar sandwich when you can get a dog and drink for a third of that. But yeah I've definitely noticed a trend lately of them trying to cut back on the membership services and push bigger profitability.

Cyrano4747 posted:

Honestly the fact that the food court exists is kinda proof that Costco leadership isn't like normal companies. Most corporations would have seen that as an unnecessary expense and either raised prices to make a profit or just cut it out entirely.

Like. . . . have any of you been to a Sams Club?

Maybe it wasn't but now they're really going whole hog on automation and high ticket items to stop the cash loss

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
I was actually pretty close to dropping the whole exercise because on my way out from an unsuccessful excursion, I tried to get a nonfat yogurt, and I was standing there for close to 10 minutes because they were busy and they had to refill the machine or whatever. I ended up crumbling up my receipt and throwing it in the trash.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Pick posted:

It requires a big picture view, which no, most people do not seem to have

Unlike a fair number of people in this thread, I often go to Costco and do not purchase anything in the store. I'll only buy something if they have what I want. However, I will usually get a nonfat yogurt on my way out, which makes me feel like it wasn't a complete waste of my time. Without that, I'm just going there and leaving without buying anything and then I just feel kind of pissed off

We make a point of just going there when we need to do a stock up of poo poo. We never have firm things that we have to get, just as the first stop in the general grocery run. Like, we're low on meat so let's see what Costco has going. Is it going to be pork this week? Or steak? Or a fuckload of stew meat? Who knows, let's see what's there and cheap. Then we fill out the random lazy meals and the random poo poo that we just need to have (see: my crippling sparkling water addiction) and get out.

I don't think I've ever gone to costco just to browse.

Maybe once in a blue moon I'll see a specific thing in the email and go there for that. LIke. .. . I dunno, a jacket or a cheap sherpa or something.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
To help contextualize a bit, I live about three minutes away from one, so that part is not very difficult.

Also I am a very frustrating customer, in that even if I go to buy something and it turns out the price has since increased, I'll just turn around and leave. Also if the line is too long, I'll go put my stuff back and leave.

seance snacks
Mar 30, 2007

Pick posted:

if I go to buy something and it turns out the price has since increased, I'll just turn around and leave.

This must burn you all the time with how often prices change just due to market factors.

The long line bit is understandable though. I've totally gotten back in my car and drove somewhere else for what was probably longer than waiting in line to not have to deal with a crowded store.

I get the same way though with unmet expectations when I'm really in the mood for something. Like, if I order takeout hot wings and they're regular when I get home, those fuckers are going straight in the garbage and I'm ordering a pizza, regardless of how hungry I am.

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

I used to have a membership for work but let it expire. I still go there for work purposes a couple times/year to check prices because their website is such poo poo. now I won't be able to get a dog or slice which sucks, but my "shopping" habits are clearly unusual.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

If I go to buy something and the price has increased
I’m more likely to buy it as the price increase indicates that this item is of quality and desirable and in high demand.

seance snacks
Mar 30, 2007

Crusty Nutsack posted:

I used to have a membership for work but let it expire. I still go there for work purposes a couple times/year to check prices because their website is such poo poo. now I won't be able to get a dog or slice which sucks, but my "shopping" habits are clearly unusual.

They sell costco gift cards at pharmacies and stuff, just put some money on that they'll let ya in

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
I took a picture of my membership page in the app and sent it to a few employees so that they could enjoy communion.

Praise be

Argyle
Jun 7, 2001

The other day while I was being rung up, an employee with a clipboard ran up to the checkout and was like ARE YOU AN EXECUTIVE MEMBER? BASED ON YOUR SPENDING YOU SHOULD BE AN EXECUTIVE MEMBER.

I already am an executive member. So my question is: why doesn't their system indicate that I'm an executive member? Like they're already tracking my spending, and it set off some alarm to send over a Clipboard Lady, but it doesn't know that I already have executive?

I'm just trying to save Clipboard Lady some unnecessary steps, that's all.

a very large fish
Oct 18, 2012
Went to church on a Monday at like 1030 am and I basically had the store to myself minus a few soccer mom's and retired boomers. It was amazing but when I left the food court was absolutely flooded with people on lunch break.

seance snacks
Mar 30, 2007

Argyle posted:

The other day while I was being rung up, an employee with a clipboard ran up to the checkout and was like ARE YOU AN EXECUTIVE MEMBER? BASED ON YOUR SPENDING YOU SHOULD BE AN EXECUTIVE MEMBER.

Pretty sure they're trained to say that to everyone, I got pitched with "our system flagged you, you should upgrade to executive blah blah" a few weeks ago

I told him I ran the numbers already and would need to spend 3k annually to break even, which I don't do, so no thanks

I'm sure I'd hit 3k if I bought gas there too, but I don't because I'm not going to drive 30 miles there and back to save $0.10 per gallon

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Went to costco at lunch for a quick dog and a slice then did a wander thru the snack aisle and they have the peanut butter pretzels back and I bought two, one for home and one for work :3:

Can’t eat any now too full of hot dog and pizza

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
Just got my gift cert for last year. The item I really want is a couch but none of their fabrics are good for cats, so I guess I'll just cash out and go somewhere else.

Unless someone here says they have one of the fabric couches and the claws don't stick. My boys are hellions though, and hit the current couch at top speed in a chase across the place.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Noslo posted:

Pretty sure they're trained to say that to everyone, I got pitched with "our system flagged you, you should upgrade to executive blah blah" a few weeks ago

I told him I ran the numbers already and would need to spend 3k annually to break even, which I don't do, so no thanks

I'm sure I'd hit 3k if I bought gas there too, but I don't because I'm not going to drive 30 miles there and back to save $0.10 per gallon

The upside is that if you sign up and don't break even they'll refund you and let you cancel it.

We just did that with our executive membership. We did the math and we spent something like 70% of what we'd need to break even on it.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Noslo posted:

Nope the system is just sort of broken. They're a rewards for getting renewals and upgrades so the warehouses go crazy trying to get as many as possible. The whole computer information aspect of Costco is ancient though so I'm not surprised it's flagging accounts that aren't actually benefitting

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Chinatown posted:

I noticed this too. When you factor in the bun, condiments, and worker pay its definitely a loss leader. PBUC for that.
Guess that makes sense. I was thinkin more along the lines of them $9.99 pizzas instead of the dogs, but I'm sure it'd be the same.

Oh well, more dawgs n pizza for me!

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL

Pick posted:

To help contextualize a bit, I live about three minutes away from one, so that part is not very difficult.

Also I am a very frustrated customer, in that even if I go to buy something and it turns out the price has since increased, I'll just turn around and leave. Also if the line is too long, I'll go put my stuff back and leave.

Ftfy. Why do you think they give a poo poo if you turn around and leave and/or restock items for them?

seance snacks
Mar 30, 2007

Cyrano4747 posted:

The upside is that if you sign up and don't break even they'll refund you and let you cancel it.

We just did that with our executive membership. We did the math and we spent something like 70% of what we'd need to break even on it.

True, but one thing I want to add to this is that my buddy was told a pitch of "all the money your account has spent so far this year will carry over into the executive plan" and then when he did it, turns out that wasn't true and it started at zero.

Gaius Marius posted:

Costco is ancient though so I'm not surprised it's flagging accounts that aren't actually benefiting

I figured it was just a generic sales pitch they say because he was standing by the checkout hitting up everyone, and I don't see how he could have pulled up my buying history on his clipboard...

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

https://www.bizjournals.com/seattle/news/2020/01/23/costco-dishes-on-most-popular-items-of-2019.html

151 million dog + soda combos last year.

:wink: 69 million chickens.

ohnobugs
Feb 22, 2003

Inspector 34 posted:

Ftfy. Why do you think they give a poo poo if you turn around and leave and/or restock items for them?

Hi this is the Costco thread where we post about Costco

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
I love Costco.

Bigchops
Mar 13, 2005
Biggus Choppus

TraderStav posted:

I took a picture of my membership page in the app and sent it to a few employees so that they could enjoy communion.

Praise be

Make sure they know they can't buy anything with it. The QR codes change to prevent duplication.

ohnobugs
Feb 22, 2003

Going tomorrow and I hope they have Baby Bels on sale. They're on sale frequently at my store, so what I'll do is wait for them to go on sale, give up, and then buy a bunch of cheese elsewhere. Then I will go back to the store and they will be on sale.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

Bigchops posted:

Make sure they know they can't buy anything with it. The QR codes change to prevent duplication.

10-4. Good to know!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EVG
Dec 17, 2005

If I Saw It, Here's How It Happened.
Anyone ever used the Costco travel rewards? Looking at their Hawaii vacation packages.