Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

zoux posted:

People who like shows have less to say, it's axiomatic that for pretty much everything, those who hate a thing will be louder than those who like a thing. So people who like the shows get tired of fighting with people calling stuff lazy grimdark hamfisted bad writing and give up. BUT! I will not sacrifice the new Trek thread. We've made too many compromises already, too many retreats. They took over the first Trek thread, and we fall back. They ruined the Disco thread, and we fall back. Not again. The line must be drawn HERE! This far, and no further. And I will make them pay for what they've done.

The fewer goons, the greater share of honor. He who sheds his sweat with me this day shall be my forums-brother. And gentlemen in GBS shall think themselves accursed they were not here, and hold themselves cheap while any speaks that fought in star trek thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Man why did they insist on getting JD and Elliot together when they were disastrous and lasted all of one episode together and then when they got together again JD realized he didn’t actually have feelings for her

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Calaveron posted:

Man why did they insist on getting JD and Elliot together when they were disastrous and lasted all of one episode together and then when they got together again JD realized he didn’t actually have feelings for her

NBC really loves will-they-won’t-they narratives.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Because of Moonlighting.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Zaphod42 posted:

The fewer goons, the greater share of honor. He who sheds his sweat with me this day shall be my forums-brother. And gentlemen in GBS shall think themselves accursed they were not here, and hold themselves cheap while any speaks that fought in star trek thread.

On this St Crisps day

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Most tv romances are bad.

I can think of like, two, that were any good.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

IRQ posted:

I kind of enjoy Picard, it's the movie Picard, not TNG Picard, and they've utterly destroyed what the Federation was and what Trek was about, but whatever.

I wish he'd kept the dog though.

I like the direction they went with the Federation. Its demonstrates that time doesn't make us any less hateful or dumb.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Open Source Idiom posted:

Sheridan and Delenn

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

I liked what they did with Peter and Olivia on Fringe.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
Fitzsimmons is the one true TV couple.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Crichton and Aeryn.

Man, Farscape really was an incredible show in so many ways. Shame they dont make things like it anymore.

Makes me sad to think back 20+ years to one of my favorite shows but I think its the "saw it between ages 12-20" thing where decades later you still regard it as better then the new stuff now regardless of quality.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Brad and Jane. Happy Endings.

Sumo
Jun 17, 2005

Zach Quinto’s hand + that kid’s face, NBC’s The Slap

EL BROMANCE posted:

Brad and Jane. Happy Endings.

Also this

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

swickles posted:

Fitzsimmons is the one true TV couple.

Truth

Also David and Patrick in Schitt's Creek is like, life goals

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe

zoux posted:

People who like shows have less to say, it's axiomatic that for pretty much everything, those who hate a thing will be louder than those who like a thing. So people who like the shows get tired of fighting with people calling stuff lazy grimdark hamfisted bad writing and give up. BUT! I will not sacrifice the new Trek thread. We've made too many compromises already, too many retreats. They took over the first Trek thread, and we fall back. They ruined the Disco thread, and we fall back. Not again. The line must be drawn HERE! This far, and no further. And I will make them pay for what they've done.

Sometimes when I just post a .gif (even though it takes more time) it's to avoid typing out why I like something only to be drowned by obsessive hate-watchers who can't let one nice comment go by.
I wonder if they do the same thing with food, like, "A few weeks ago, I went to a restaurant near another restaurant that I like. The food was sub-par, the prices outrageous and the service was non-existent. I hated it. So I've been going back for the past five weeks, and it's still terrible. And I'm going to go again next week, nothing anyone says will stop me!"

Croatoan posted:

That's kinda exactly what he tried and it still failed. That's why I mostly hang out in here. In here we usually only have one and a half posters who hate everything and just want to argue about everything. Other than those two, everyone seems pretty chill :shrug:

Maybe start a new thread called Zhat Vash and talk about the show from point of view of Romulans watching,

Binary Logic fucked around with this message at 00:47 on Feb 22, 2020

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Plenty of them are good! For, like, a bit. But a romance lasting multiple seasons? Yeah, forget it.

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe

Peggy and Al Bundy.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

zoux posted:

I will say that Star Trek fans hating whatever show isn't the one that was on when they were between 12-15 is as consistent as the rising sun. TOS people loving hated TNG when it was announced and aired.

To be fair when it first aired TNG was absolutely terrible.

A few months ago, I went back and rewatched Encounter at Farpoint for probably the first time since the 90s and uh... it sucks. The number of times Picard works in the phrase "Galaxy-class starship" to a conversation made me laugh.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

pentyne posted:

Crichton and Aeryn.

Man, Farscape really was an incredible show in so many ways. Shame they dont make things like it anymore.

That was one of the two I was thinking of. They had scorching chemistry.

hope and vaseline posted:

Truth

Also David and Patrick in Schitt's Creek is like, life goals

Literally the other couple. I'm gonna be gutted when the show ends.

Though FitzSimmons is also good, particularly now they've given them a dependent.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I think FitzSimmons is all that I remember of the X seasons of Shield I watched before Disney went full blown Marvel. They were real cute couple.

Pam & Jim's romance phase was good, but them actually together isn't remotely as fun and they tanked it at the end.

The best TV Romance I can think of is George Burns and Gracie Allen but only 90s kids remember that show so...

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Khanstant posted:

Pam & Jim's romance phase was good, but them actually together isn't remotely as fun and they tanked it at the end.

As a fan of The Office, I have to say that there are a few times during the first three seasons (especially the second season) where, at least in retrospect, Jim comes across a little creepy. Especially during the chunk when he's ostensibly dating the Amy Allen character.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Jim was always a creep and Pam was right to reject him initially. You don’t get to just foist that emotional baggage on someone because you think you’re better than the person they’re with. He sat there listening to his friend vent about her troubles for years and then turned around and used that to scheme his way into her life. Yeah, it’s just a sitcom, but if someone did that in real life they’d be a loving creep.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Joe and Sarah on Joe Pera are the perfect couple.

Sumo
Jun 17, 2005

muscles like this! posted:

Bob and Linda Belcher are the perfect couple.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
Hands down the healthiest relationship portrayal in a sitcom was Eleanor and Chidi

Prove me wrong. I cannot think of a negative thing about their relationship.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Jim was always a creep and Pam was right to reject him initially. You don’t get to just foist that emotional baggage on someone because you think you’re better than the person they’re with. He sat there listening to his friend vent about her troubles for years and then turned around and used that to scheme his way into her life. Yeah, it’s just a sitcom, but if someone did that in real life they’d be a loving creep.

It's also weird because, as someone's friend, I think you have a certain obligation to them to let them know if they're in an unhealthy relationship.

Eleanor and Chidi are a great couple! I'm not sure how to factor in the contrived circumstances that even allow them the opportunity to have a relationship, but within those circumstances they are fantastic.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

No stds and can’t get knocked up. Pretty great tbh.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Ron McLarty, known for stuff like Spenser for Hire but indelibly imprinted into my brain as Judge William Wright on Law & Order (the one McCoy freaks the gently caress out on after he overturns a jury verdict in the Season 10 premiere, "Gunshow") has died at 72. McLarty had been diagnosed with dementia a few years ago.

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

the series finale of Fresh Off the Boat was tonight. it was... underwhelming. but not surprising since it was just circling the drain this season after constance wu's twitter thing.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Croatoan posted:

I looked at the aforementioned poster from the Watchmen thread's post history and I don't think we were even much of a blip on his radar.

Speaking of Westworld I'm finally diving back in. I forgot so much in the past few years that I'm picking up on episode 3 of season one. Should I just skip season 2? I bet you can't answer because we don't know much of season 3 but still.

Skip season 2, it's miserable.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Okay, she's no Erin Hayes but...

https://deadline.com/2020/02/annie-murphy-star-amc-series-kevin-can-f-himself-rashida-jones-will-mccormack-valerie-armstrong-1202865729/

Love this journey for her.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
The first 10 minutes of episode 2 of Hunters are fuckin wild. The characters getting Tarantino style intro cards was so fuckin well done

bou
Aug 3, 2006

Westworld season 3 Trailer looks like they want to turn Maeve and Dolores into GitS-Scarlett Johansen vs. Resident Evil Milla Jovovich and i don't know how to feel about that.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Is everyone done bellyaching about being wrong about Star Trek and getting chased out of actual Trek threads while going "no, it is the children literally everyone else who is wrong" now? Because there's clearly more important TV developments to discuss.

lol nah, I just wanted to bask in your wrongness some more

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
The new Trek thread loving sucks. I like you guys here better.

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe
TV's most romantic couple: Jeff and Susie

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AccvGbf42C4

McSpanky posted:

Is everyone done bellyaching about being wrong about Star Trek and getting chased out of actual Trek threads while going "no, it is the children literally everyone else who is wrong" now? Because there's clearly more important TV developments to discuss.

lol nah, I just wanted to bask in your wrongness some more

Picard is the best Trek since DS9, including the movies.
Everyone else is wrong, and guessing the fate of Stranger Thing's Chief Hopper, or whether the new season of Westworld will be good, are not more important developments!

But that's not even the main point of contention with the thread. It's the ideological stridency and Sheldon Cooper-level obsession of the haters that chases fans out. They're like 'keepers of the faith' or religious police who go around enforcing orthodoxy and punishing 'heretics' over any and all canonical or opinionated transgressions, ad loving nauseum.

Binary Logic fucked around with this message at 13:11 on Feb 22, 2020

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
I just noticed that a few show that I watch went on break in early/mid december, and are now coming back to air their last 3-4 episodes in late february. I understand going on a break over the holidays, but why would a show go on break for 2½ months?

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

muscles like this! posted:

Joe and Sarah on Joe Pera are the perfect couple.

Gomez and Morticia are the perfect couple

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

Oasx posted:

I just noticed that a few show that I watch went on break in early/mid december, and are now coming back to air their last 3-4 episodes in late february. I understand going on a break over the holidays, but why would a show go on break for 2½ months?

I don't have an answer but I'm OK with it. Allows me to catch up on other things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

This is bonkers awesome and a huge leap forward in TV production.

https://www.engadget.com/2020/02/21...l&utm_source=dl

The Mandalorian used virtual sets, which is nothing new. That's been happening in TV production for the past 15 years or so. What is new is the virtual sets were done in loving camera.

The actors were surrounded by gigantic high resolution LED screens. The environment was rendered in real time using Unreal Engine and shown behind the actors that moved in parallax with the camera.

So, actors could actually react to what was going on behind them, directors could see the final product in real time since it was happening in camera. It also made for more correct reflective lighting. They could change things on the fly for different takes. On top of that, they eliminated the need to composite in the set in post and only had to focus on small elements of the scene for post SFX.