Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Suspect A
Jan 1, 2015

Nap Ghost
Are you contending for the neet throne?? A power move for sure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

Zazi posted:

Sister Make, I love you and you're doing god's work, but "I'm a sex offender" was the pro-tier translation of 痴漢 even if molester is more technically correct

maybe sister should fix a typo. Thanks for pointing it out.

Anomalous Amalgam
Feb 13, 2015

by Nyc_Tattoo
Doctor Rope
I should just learn Japanese is what I'm picking up here...

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

The daily lives of certain posters

Mr. Steak
May 9, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Anomalous Amalgam posted:

I should just learn Japanese is what I'm picking up here...

you should!!!

Mr. Steak
May 9, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
it was the best choice i ever made. cuz you dont have to wait for stuff or depend on other people to read what you want

Anomalous Amalgam
Feb 13, 2015

by Nyc_Tattoo
Doctor Rope
Not to further derail, but how many years did it take before you felt competent reading?

Sister Make
Feb 5, 2020

neet NEET NEET NEET

Straight White Shark posted:

time spent translating margin notes is time that could have been spent on MORE NEET

Fair point. Just for this you can have a little extra post, as a NEET.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Someone just got dumped

Mr. Steak
May 9, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Anomalous Amalgam posted:

Not to further derail, but how many years did it take before you felt competent reading?

to read with considerable effort, about a year. to get the most out of reading and truly feel i'm getting the original experience, between 3 and 4 years

note: the first 2-ish years were intense study. the following has been only reading a ton and no formal study whatsoever. i wouldn't exactly recommend this approach because formal study is good, but im lazy. you'll improve from reading but slower than if youre also studying

Mr. Steak fucked around with this message at 01:10 on Feb 22, 2020

Mr. Steak
May 9, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
also, i'll paste this because i've already written it out for a discord server im in.

Here is the necessary progression to Japanese comprehension, in my personal opinion, where each step makes the next one easier.
(note: you should naturally be learning vocab in the course of studying these things)

Step 1: learn the kana (both hira- and kata-) enough so you can read entire kana sentences.
Step 2: understand basic Japanese sentence structure + how nouns and adjectives work.
Step 3: understand the basic usage of the particles と, に, の, な, は, and を
Step 4: understand the 3 (arguably 7) types of verbs and how to conjugate them in ます and て form.

(now is when you can start studying kanji if you like. they're not as scary as they look!)

Step 5: understand the rest of the verb conjugations, including the 3 types of conditional.
Step 6: understand the concept of nominalizing clauses.

Now you can start reading Japanese!!

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Step 7:

dirby
Sep 21, 2004

Helping goons with math
For help learning Japanese, see the Japanese thread. Note: SAL has very different rules than GBS.

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

If to live in this style is to be eccentric, it must be confessed that there is something good in eccentricity.

Grimey Drawer
I personally love the Japanese language, and I encourage anyone to learn it. It's just a lot of fun to use!

Steak and Make are much higher level than me, so I'm sure they have better tips (or they just work harder), but my recommendation is to try to think in the language you want to learn and try to talk to people or even just yourself throughout the day! You'll quickly run into grammar or vocabulary walls, and that's your chance to look things up.

It takes a lot of repetition. I have to look up words many times before they stick, but eventually you pick up on things and things stick, and you'll be able to talk to people fluidly before you know it!

It's really about making sure you put in the effort. Just a little bit over a long period of time.

If you get a chance to take a class, that is very helpful, but don't expect to see the results right away.

I'd say my biggest advice is to know it will be frustrating at first and you'll never feel the progress, but it'll be there. Just make sure you're setting aside at least a couple of minutes a day.

When you get high enough level, there are apps for finding speaking partners, though the majority of Japanese tend to be excessively shy.

dirby posted:

For help learning Japanese, see the Japanese thread. Note: SAL has very different rules than GBS.

Edit: Whoa, I did not know we had this, thanks!

Shadow0 fucked around with this message at 02:11 on Feb 22, 2020

Mr. Steak
May 9, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Shadow0 posted:

my recommendation is to try to think in the language you want to learn and try to talk to people or even just yourself throughout the day! You'll quickly run into grammar or vocabulary walls, and that's your chance to look things up.

great advice. one of the most annoying things for me, in the context of helping people with japanese study, is when they try to force japanese into their (usually english) mindset. the goal is to, for example, see the word "mizu" and NOT think "water", but instead think of water. and when it comes to grammar, it's even worse. my recommendation is to really try to understand why things work the way they do. one of the things that endears me to the japanese language so much is how drat polished it feels. like, compared to my native english which is practically a baby in the language world and changes on a daily basis, compared to Japanese which has been in its current form (more or less) for thousands of years, it's night and day. for example, classes don't generally teach you (at least mine didn't) that じゃ is a slur of the particles では in literally every instance. now, it's a fundamental part of grammar, but you can tell it evolved from a less formal mode of communication. there are a TON of things like that in japanese and it feels really cool. once you sort of... vibe with how japanese grammar works, a lot of it comes super easily. like, there are a lot of verb conjugations, but they all relate to each other in very particular ways. it might be confusing at first when the literal only difference between two tenses is a single changed vowel, but very quickly you'll start to notice you're instinctively associating that vowel sound with that tense. and that's good! so many grammar rules mesh together like a huge perfect web, and its awesome. you can tell a lot of it simply came from the need to speak more conveniently, and so they chose the easiest way to say things, and over so many years the most streamlined version won.

quote:

It takes a lot of repetition. I have to look up words many times before they stick, but eventually you pick up on things and things stick, and you'll be able to talk to people fluidly before you know it!

It's really about making sure you put in the effort. Just a little bit over a long period of time.

I'd say my biggest advice is to know it will be frustrating at first and you'll never feel the progress, but it'll be there. Just make sure you're setting aside at least a couple of minutes a day.

yes, yes, and yes. my reading experience is essentially a suuuuper long drawn out spaced-repetition study lol. i'm sure it takes me about 10 times looking up a new word before im confident enough to not second-guess myself. and yes, it is VERY hard to gauge your own progress in japanese. well, it's easy at first: you've learned x more kana today, you learned x new words today, etc. but when it comes to comprehension, it's a verrryy gradual journey. and it's extremely demotivating. i had more moments than i can count, when i thought it was literally impossible for me to improve. my suggestion for those struggling with this would be to find some cold, hard evidence to show yourself that you are indeed improving, even if you can't feel it day-to-day. what i mean by that is, something like "i tried reading this manga 5 months ago and didn't get very far, but last month i understood it perfectly." that kind of thing. just focus on that, because you cant trust your own feelings lol.

quote:

Edit: Whoa, I did not know we had this, thanks!

me neither lol. but now im too nervous to post my controversial japanese opinions there.

Mr. Steak
May 9, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
ahem... i mean,

POST NEET

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

If to live in this style is to be eccentric, it must be confessed that there is something good in eccentricity.

Grimey Drawer

Mr. Steak posted:

me neither lol. but now im too nervous to post my controversial japanese opinions there.

Osaka-ben is not real Japanese.

Oh wait... Controversial...

quote:

one of the things that endears me to the japanese language so much is how drat polished it feels. like, compared to my native english which is practically a baby in the language world and changes on a daily basis, compared to Japanese which has been in its current form (more or less) for thousands of years, it's night and day.

I feel like this is very much not true.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Mr. Steak posted:

ahem... i mean,

POST NEET

Mr. Steak
May 9, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Shadow0 posted:

I feel like this is very much not true.

maybe i was exaggerating to express how the contrast feels with english, but its extremely true that a modern japanese person would be able to reasonably communicate with a japanese person from the 10th century. it would sound like HEAVILY accented japanese, but it'd be understandable enough. that cant be said for english at all. it's misleading because the writing system has gone through so many insane changes, but the spoken language has been around MUCH longer than the writing system. we don't actually know how far back it goes, and scholars still don't have much of a clue where the language originated.

from encyclopedia brittanica:

"Through the centuries, Japanese grammatical structure has remained remarkably stable, to the degree that with some basic training in the grammar of classical Japanese, modern readers can readily appreciate such classical literature as the Man’yōshū (compiled after 759; “Collection of Ten Thousand Leaves”), an anthology of Japanese verse; the Tosa nikki (935; The Tosa Diary); and the Genji monogatari (c. 1010; The Tale of Genji)."

Lodin
Jul 31, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Mr. Steak posted:

maybe i was exaggerating to express how the contrast feels with english, but its extremely true that a modern japanese person would be able to reasonably communicate with a japanese person from the 10th century. it would sound like HEAVILY accented japanese, but it'd be understandable enough. that cant be said for english at all. it's misleading because the writing system has gone through so many insane changes, but the spoken language has been around MUCH longer than the writing system. we don't actually know how far back it goes, and scholars still don't have much of a clue where the language originated.

from encyclopedia brittanica:

"Through the centuries, Japanese grammatical structure has remained remarkably stable, to the degree that with some basic training in the grammar of classical Japanese, modern readers can readily appreciate such classical literature as the Man’yōshū (compiled after 759; “Collection of Ten Thousand Leaves”), an anthology of Japanese verse; the Tosa nikki (935; The Tosa Diary); and the Genji monogatari (c. 1010; The Tale of Genji)."

NEET!

Anomalous Amalgam
Feb 13, 2015

by Nyc_Tattoo
Doctor Rope
@steak, dirby - many thanks! I think I might seriously endeavor in this.

Ok!

NEET!

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Mr. Steak posted:

from now on, emptyquoting is not allowed.

i decree it

gently caress

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Mr. Steak posted:

great advice. one of the most annoying things for me, in the context of helping people with japanese study, is when they try to force japanese into their (usually english) mindset. the goal is to, for example, see the word "mizu" and NOT think "water", but instead think of water. and when it comes to grammar, it's even worse.

This was basically the idea that popped up to me when I was learning English (from Portuguese), and that made my progress in learning it a million times faster.

Sister Make
Feb 5, 2020

neet NEET NEET NEET

Mr. Steak posted:

You dont have to wait for stuff or depend on other people to read what you want
Yea. Everyone here should learn Japanese so then no one has to post neet. そして、日本語でコミュニケーションはnowだ!

Grevling
Dec 18, 2016

Good thing she gave him an opportunity to explain the conviction was for murdering his parents in cold blood, everything really is coming up NEET lately.

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

to be fair, strictly speaking the conviction was for killing his father

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4
I can't wait for this to blow up in scumbag Tohru's face. Hopefully his father and mother are haunting him from beyond the grave

Edgar Allan Pwned
Apr 4, 2011

Quoth the Raven "I love the power glove. It's so bad..."
I'm sure it's not but that smile looks dangerous

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

Time to make something up and desperately cling to the lie while it poisons everything.

Sophy Wackles
Dec 17, 2000

> access main security grid
access: PERMISSION DENIED.

Edgar Allan Pwned posted:

He’s going to :neet: that poor woman.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Edgar Allan Pwned posted:

NEET reveals his true form!

2 penny bottle imp
Jun 11, 2008

I KNOW WHAT YOU DID LAST SCUMMER

Grevling posted:

Good thing she gave him an opportunity to explain the conviction was for murdering his parents in cold blood, everything really is coming up NEET lately.

Explaining his conviction is Nii's new fetish!

BigBadSteve
Apr 29, 2009

2 penny bottle imp posted:

Explaining his conviction is Nii's new fetish!

:neet:

Anomalous Amalgam
Feb 13, 2015

by Nyc_Tattoo
Doctor Rope
Hopefully he tells the truth which is he was an insufferable poo poo whose selfishness drove his parents to suicide, but he has changed!

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

middle-aged tohru on his belly with his legs kickin in the air is so :kimchi:

Sister Make
Feb 5, 2020

neet NEET NEET NEET

Fantastic Flyer
Aug 9, 2017
Tohru has got some insane texting game for a guy who's been behind bars for a decade

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

Fantastic Flyer posted:

Tohru has got some insane texting game for a guy who's been behind bars for a decade

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

The secret is the hair dye