Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

married but discreet posted:

It felt like I was watching someone else play a video game.

With the popularity of let's plays and streaming today I'm sure that was a major reason it even got made today.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grant DaNasty
Jul 17, 2006

I saw The Lodge tonight. I went into it blind and holy poo poo. To me it was like Hereditary in that it's really well made and nightmarish, and I never need to see it again.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Man just doing a quick first run at Letterboxd... I have seen a great many films in my life.

https://letterboxd.com/zwabu/films/genre/horror/

Also, watched Gretel and Hansel today and really liked it. The IMBD ratings for it are garbo, though, what I'd expect for a really bad B movie, wassup with that?

Zwabu fucked around with this message at 05:46 on Feb 22, 2020

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
IMDB is not as useful for horror/sci-fi stuff imo. Basically everything is in the 4-6 range even if it's kind of decent, but we equate those ratings with "bad."

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Grant DaNasty posted:

I saw The Lodge tonight. I went into it blind and holy poo poo. To me it was like Hereditary in that it's really well made and nightmarish, and I never need to see it again.

Yeah, that about sums it up for me too. It’s very creepy, and you spend a lot of time waiting for the other shoe to drop, and then oh god.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
gently caress, The Lodge wasn't even on my radar?? But now I have to see it!

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
Come to Daddy was weird and poo poo and good as hell. I'm not sure what I expected from the premise but it was so much fun. Between this and Maniac, Elijah Wood is becoming one of my favorite genre actors.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!

Zwabu posted:

Man just doing a quick first run at Letterboxd... I have seen a great many films in my life.

https://letterboxd.com/zwabu/films/genre/horror/

Also, watched Gretel and Hansel today and really liked it. The IMBD ratings for it are garbo, though, what I'd expect for a really bad B movie, wassup with that?

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

Rotten Tomatoes should be taken with a grain of salt (no pun intended), especially where horror films are concerned. They play with their algorithms too much and one's much better off relying on a few trusted friend's opinions.

Irony.or.Death
Apr 1, 2009

King Vidiot posted:

Heck yes, and on that note...

Leatherface = barbecue nachos
Freddy = roasted nuts
Michael = pumpkin seeds
Chucky = any sugary kids' cereal, dry
Jason = cocktail weenies
Angela = pigs in a blanket

I didn't actually make it last time I was in home for the holidays, but I feel like I have to give these guys a shout out now.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!

M_Sinistrari posted:

Rotten Tomatoes should be taken with a grain of salt (no pun intended), especially where horror films are concerned. They play with their algorithms too much and one's much better off relying on a few trusted friend's opinions.

I was referring to the disparity between the critic consensus scores and user ratings, which are basically the same as imdb user ratings. The reason Gretel and Hansel is a fine film but has lovely imdb ratings is because general audiences don't like slow moody things.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

It felt like I was watching someone else play a video game.

I would understand this if it actually showed him killing the monsters, but it doesn’t.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Origami Dali posted:

I was referring to the disparity between the critic consensus scores and user ratings, which are basically the same as imdb user ratings. The reason Gretel and Hansel is a fine film but has lovely imdb ratings is because general audiences don't like slow moody things.

IMDB ratings have never been any kind of reliable thing to go by. They're as much of a mess as their forums were when they were around. Rotten Tomatoes used to be somewhat okay but over the years falls into the same issue any ratings section is prey to with trolls, bots, and shills muddying the results of honestly given ratings. Attempts to counteract this by playing with the algorithms is a crapshoot which generally makes things even more unreliable and just gives to something anyone can point to to say either critics don't know their rear end from a hole in the ground and/or the average moviegoer's an idiot.

I know I'm very likely coming across bitterly cynical, but I've been burned too many times going by ratings given (Amazon Prime's the worst) so I favor going by friend recommendation/opinions since they've rarely steered me wrong. Not to mention I feel box office numbers are a skosh of a better indicator even though those too can be inaccurate when you factor in how much of a release a film got.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
I'm not sure what you're trying to argue, because I don't rely on them either. I was just telling dude that user ratings are unreliable as hell.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Origami Dali posted:

I'm not sure what you're trying to argue, because I don't rely on them either. I was just telling dude that user ratings are unreliable as hell.

I think we might be arguing over how much we're agreeing.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

The Lodge doesn't have a release date in the UK :(

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
I have a couple hours to myself at home today, what should I watch

Oh wait Tammy and the t Rex, I never watched the unrated version

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Tarnop posted:

The Lodge doesn't have a release date in the UK :(

I think that’s also true of Gretel and Hansel?

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord

COOL CORN posted:

yes, Tammy is always the right answer

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.
I randomly looked up what Alicia Silverstone has been up to in the last 15 years and thought The Lodge looked interesting.

Then I check this thread and it’s all the hubbub.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

COOL CORN posted:

TAMMY

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

Tanny and the Teenage Tyrannosaurus

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Finally sat through Fury of the Demon and Antrum last night. Both were good in different ways.

Fury's presented as a documentary that's also legitly informative about Georges Melies and early silent film. I was expecting it to be a bit longer than an hour, but it does make the full use of it's time without feeling truncated or needing to be longer.

Antrum's presented as a documentary wrapped around the film in question. It's an interesting angle to take as they did do a good job making the Antrum film look like an appropriately artsy film of the late 70s, but it does open the avenue for criticisms about the deadly film not seeming particularly scary, or at least not particularly scary to people like us who've watched loads of horror films and makes one look at the documentary part and wonder what the hell is this poo poo? Looking at it from the angle of exploring the nature and impact of storytelling is where I feel the film shines. In the deadly film, Oralee creates the spellbook and takes her brother out to the woods to try to help him get over his grief and nightmares from his dog being put to sleep and their mother saying the dog didn't go to heaven because she was bad. The story Oralee crafted completely pulled her brother in to the degree she's even pulled into it as well despite being the creator. Expanding that to the documentary aspect of the film, it becomes a question of does the storytelling playing up the film's deadliness become a self fulfilling prophecy that feeds back into the storytelling? A real world example would be the reputation of Evil Otto from Berzerk being so deadly he could kill you in real life because two guys who racked up a high score in the game died right after killing Otto. The truth being that while the two guys who played the game did die, both were from existing health issues and that many others had beaten Otto and being okay fell to the wayside until the story became a video game character could kill you in real life which made it more scary when he'd bounce into the maze beyond what the appearance of a boss character normally would.

The deadly events surrounding the Antrum screenings are similar where tragic events that happened around the screenings end up feeding into the pitch the film's deadly. It fits that a film that gets rejected from multiple festival screenings gets tweaked with some subliminal stuff which was getting public attention back then with it being used in advertisements. Anything bad that ends up happening with a screening will feed back into the pitch the film's deadly while anything else falls to the wayside. That we as viewers are unaffected by the film's 'deadliness' essentially proves the storytelling pitch became a self fulfilling prophecy.

Overall, I enjoyed both, but I'd definitely want Fury of the Demon's poster framed on a wall.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

TheBizzness posted:

I randomly looked up what Alicia Silverstone has been up to in the last 15 years and thought The Lodge looked interesting.

Then I check this thread and it’s all the hubbub.

She was in Killing of a Sacred Deer too!

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

whoops i watched anime instead

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

I highly recommend The Lodge. Well made movies with religious elements tend to hit me hard and this was no exception.

The moment where Grace was walking in the darkness as Nearer My God to Thee played made my skin crawl. I’m curious if those religious elements hit folks who weren’t raised in fundamentalist churches in the same way.

thrashingteeth
Dec 22, 2019

depressive hedonia
always tired
taco tuesday
I've had an emotional roller coaster in this thread, hearing about The Lodge for the first time, finding out that it looks incredible then seeing the UK doesn't have a release date yet.
This is true horror.

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

Grace spent all that time in the fundie church and never learned that adultery is a sin. :v:

meat glitter
Nov 12, 2019

saw the lodge today and there was a "point" the guy behind me jumped so hard he spilled his popcorn all on the floor lol. i was a little bit worried for 2020 after the grudge sucked so bad but between this and the color out of space things are looking up! also it seems all the kids from IT are now just doing more horror stuff (gretel and hansel, the turning, are you afraid of the dark, the lodge) which is good, i think for the most part they're good kid actors.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Is channel zero worth watching and if so what's the best season? it's an anthology show right?

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

meat glitter posted:

saw the lodge today and there was a "point" the guy behind me jumped so hard he spilled his popcorn all on the floor lol. i was a little bit worried for 2020 after the grudge sucked so bad but between this and the color out of space things are looking up! also it seems all the kids from IT are now just doing more horror stuff (gretel and hansel, the turning, are you afraid of the dark, the lodge) which is good, i think for the most part they're good kid actors.
Oh my loving god, this made me IMDB the kid from The Lodge (who was also in It) and I realized that he was also Henry from The Book of Henry hahahahahahaha

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
Hm, what's the thread opinion on The Blackcoat's Daughter? I really thought the initial setup would lead to something interesting but it's painfully average all around, the most by the A24 numbers I've seen in a while.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

veni veni veni posted:

Is channel zero worth watching and if so what's the best season? it's an anthology show right?

Yes, probably season 3 but they're all very different so it's a matter of what you're looking for.

3 is a very unsubtle morality tale.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

cool thanks

Hm, what's the thread opinion on The Blackcoat's Daughter? I really thought the initial setup would lead to something interesting but it's painfully average all around, the most by the A24 numbers I've seen in a while.

The Blackcoat's Daughter loving rules.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Rageaholic posted:

Oh my loving god, this made me IMDB the kid from The Lodge (who was also in It) and I realized that he was also Henry from The Book of Henry hahahahahahaha

He was also the Nazi child in Knives Out, which I completely failed to realise.

meat glitter posted:

saw the lodge today and there was a "point" the guy behind me jumped so hard he spilled his popcorn all on the floor lol.

First 5 minutes with the mother or last 5 with the dad?

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Channel Zero is great and they're all worth watching. They don't all hit home runs but they all do something interesting or freaky and the 6 episode run time is kind of perfect that nothing every wears out its welcome or gets too lost in the weeds.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
Season 2 or whichever is the no end house is good as all hell

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

teefs man

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

No End House is like the most personal and affecting.
Candle Cove is a bit of a mess of a story but the visuals are some of freakiest/scariest stuff I've seen in recent memory.
Butcher's Block is probably the best combination of affecting story and horrifying visuals.
The Dream Door is the one that stuck with me the least but that could just be because it was the last one and I only saw it after it had been cancelled.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

meat glitter
Nov 12, 2019

The_Doctor posted:

He was also the Nazi child in Knives Out, which I completely failed to realise.

First 5 minutes with the mother or last 5 with the dad?

whoa i didn't realize that was him in knives out too...little guy is out here building up some kind of resume

and first...it is like such a effective AHHH moment i think everyone in the theatre flinched at least a little bit