Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

She likes carrots

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Yes, IIRC its core is basically a unicorn horn inscribed with an elaborate treatise written by The Holy Church that can be summed up as "Reincarnation is Bullshit and here is Why". Its an absolute rejection of the concept of Reincarnation/Immortality.

just to make sure i'm understanding this correctly:

ordinarily, reincarnation exists in the nasuverse (broadly speaking), but if you get the poo poo stabbed out of you with an essay on why that's stupid, you can't reincarnate.

that loving owns :lol:

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Well she got it for a guy who can control his own reincarnation (and was previously reincarnated as her), so it may not destroy your reincarnation outright but the idea is it'll stop that at least.

The materiality of souls is something of an open question in Nasu

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

When youre born in the nasuverse your soul comes from a specific concept wrapped up in the swirl of creation. In a way everyone is a conceptual being.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Conceptual Weapons are crazy poo poo and its even better when they interact.

Gaé Bolg is a demonic spear that reverses causality. The thrust spear strikes you because it has already pierced your heart.
Fragarach is a divine sword that cannot unleash its true power until the enemy attacks first, it then reverses time and strikes down the enemy before they can launch their attack.

What happens when the two weapons are used against eachother? Awesome/Stupid Nasu Bullshit.

Galaga Galaxian fucked around with this message at 07:25 on Feb 18, 2020

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

just to make sure i'm understanding this correctly:

ordinarily, reincarnation exists in the nasuverse (broadly speaking), but if you get the poo poo stabbed out of you with an essay on why that's stupid, you can't reincarnate.

that loving owns :lol:

Reincarnation does not, in fact, ordinarily exist in the nasuverse. Powerful beings and some mages are able to achieve it, or at least something similar, but the rule is that the metaphysical fabric of the world unravels the souls of the deceased - even ghosts aren't actual disembodied spirits, but more like psychic echoes destined to eventually fade out.

The Church's sacred scriptures are a form of thaumaturgy, and it makes perfect sense to use magic to disrupt whatever mechanism is allowing a being to reconstitute itself in contravention to the laws of the world.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Rho aias vs gae bolg anti personal would have been a very interesting sight to behold (the conclusion would be foregone of course barring extreme edgecases like emiya being summoned as a caster)

Luceid
Jan 20, 2005

Buy some freaking medicine.

AlternateNu posted:

Sorry. But Seihai Grand Prix (in Fuyuki) is the best CF episode.

It's canon, and it's the best grail war.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Stairmaster posted:

When youre born in the nasuverse your soul comes from a specific concept wrapped up in the swirl of creation. In a way everyone is a conceptual being.

And of course, you can weaponize your own concept or utilize it as a force to warp the material world around you. :psyduck:

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

AlternateNu posted:

And of course, you can weaponize your own concept or utilize it as a force to warp the material world around you. :psyduck:

Also, don't forget that long term exposure to powerful magical crap can also alter your concept from what it started out as into something completely different.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

unrelated note, but is Oath Under Snow worth checking out if Prisma Illya otherwise makes me instinctively recoil?

like I hate basically everything about that series for very obvious reasons, but it sounds like Oath Under Snow is 99% about alternate Shirou, doesn't have any weird pedo bait in it at all, and is more or less a perfectly cromulent Fate thing. and the Shirou vs Zombie Shinji fight loving whips rear end.
Oath under snow is okay but its mostly 'what if someone who thinks mind of steel is badass rewrote hf.' Its an okay action thing but dont expect any characterization from it

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

https://twitter.com/GrandOrderBot/status/1229819570762002433

acpi also wrote the melty manga that actually adapted the game, and they seem to generally trust them to handle melty related stuff. doesnt confirm anything but still, its interesting

Logical1234
Dec 3, 2013

Endorph posted:

Oath under snow is okay but its mostly 'what if someone who thinks mind of steel is badass rewrote hf.' Its an okay action thing but dont expect any characterization from it

It's not Mind of Steel. Shirou literally opposes the character who's trying to be mind of Steel.

He's a Shirou raised by the Magus Killer and found it wanting.

Though I would recommend reading the manga arc it's adapting before watching the movie.oh

Oh god. Ive become one of those fans.

Kill me

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
If you just want some Shirou action flick it's not bad to watch without context.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Rody One Half posted:

Well she got it for a guy who can control his own reincarnation (and was previously reincarnated as her), so it may not destroy your reincarnation outright but the idea is it'll stop that at least.

The materiality of souls is something of an open question in Nasu

Isn't the whole 3rd magic thing supposed to be about making the soul into something material that you can interact with? Like move them around to revive people and stuff.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Iirc the end goal of the third magic is that you turn your soul into a semi-physical vessel that can exist on its own outside of a body, which basically turns you into an immortal godling with near-infinite magical energy at your command for reasons, but the one time illya used it was in an extremely limited form that only worked for just long enough to keep shirou's soul from evaporating.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

I got the impression that the near-infinite energy was more of a side effect.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
IIRC somewhere I don't recall points out the world inside the moon cell is an application of third magic (not longer considered a true magic, at that) in that it's a world where a naked soul can exist without being attached to a mind or body. Extella (or its side materials?) mention that when Hakuno split itself into Mind, Body and Soul only Soul would be able to keep existing if they didn't merge.

A perfectly third magic'd soul is supposedly classified as a perpetual motion device, my guess is because it can use its own essence as fuel without depleting itself.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
(KnK spoilers! Do not read if you haven't watched the movies/read the novels!) Didn't Touko more or less achieve 3rd magic in spirit, if not in letter already? I mean, doesn't Cornelius freak the gently caress out at the thought that Touko has become effectively immortal and that she cannot be killed by any conventional means or that individuality is kinda like "meh" to her? Can even Ryougi themselves even kill her?

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!
Hmm, can I read the spoilers if I watched KnK 10 years ago and don't remember any of it except that Ryougi Shiki is cool

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

are you literate

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

nrook posted:

Hmm, can I read the spoilers if I watched KnK 10 years ago and don't remember any of it except that Ryougi Shiki is cool
It's more of a general thing I try to do to keep away from spoiling goons on stuff across ADTRW as a whole. Because, while I don't mind/care getting spoiled because I'm of the general idea that, if a work has strong enough writing to make you still have a reaction, then the spoiler doesn't matter, but I completely understand and respect if other people don't want to get spoiled; and I'm sure that a number of thread regulars haven't watched/read/played/heard a good chunk of works from the franchise/verse/whatchamacallit.

In other news, Fate/Hollow Ataraxia has been a fun romp so far!

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Wark Say posted:

(KnK spoilers! Do not read if you haven't watched the movies/read the novels!) Didn't Touko more or less achieve 3rd magic in spirit, if not in letter already? I mean, doesn't Cornelius freak the gently caress out at the thought that Touko has become effectively immortal and that she cannot be killed by any conventional means or that individuality is kinda like "meh" to her? Can even Ryougi themselves even kill her?

Is that from her ability to perfectly clone herself through her dolls? I’ve watched the movies a bunch of times but if that’s the reason Cornelius is freaking out, that’s pretty baller.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

My understanding is that she's not transferring her soul around, she's just making perfect copies with all of her memories (updated remotely) and doesn't care if she herself actually dies. Like, the copies will live on with her memories but the continuity of consciousness that is a person is still dead. So it's not the 3rd magic at all, in any sense that might matter to a mage.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

AlternateNu posted:

Is that from her ability to perfectly clone herself through her dolls? I’ve watched the movies a bunch of times but if that’s the reason Cornelius is freaking out, that’s pretty baller.
Indeed! From the conversation from a few pages ago about how maguses/magi in TM are in general pretty loving ruthless and... beep-boopy, if I had to use a somewhat silly term? It still strikes me as a very special sort of "Holy poo poo!" moment.

Clarste posted:

My understanding is that she's not transferring her soul around, she's just making perfect copies with all of her memories (updated remotely) and doesn't care if she herself actually dies. Like, the copies will live on with her memories but the continuity of consciousness that is a person is still dead. So it's not the 3rd magic at all, in any sense that might matter to a mage.
Huh. Well, nevermind then. Silly me for jumping to conclusions. :sweatdrop:

Well if the magus is content with the end-result, more power to 'em.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this

Wark Say posted:

Touko is functionally immortal sure but that's not the actual point of the third magic.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
You know, I guess with yours and Clarste's explanations, plus the fact of what constitutes the 3rd Magic, while it wouldn't qualify, it does sorta make that one scene way more understandable, especially for a "traditional" magus.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day
Transferring consciousness between bodies is something magi have accomplished, some even fairly successfully, but there's always an accompanying degradation of the soul in the process regardless of method. This is common sense among magi.

Touko has completely overturned this by creating perfectly identical copies of herself, who carry on her consciousness with only the loss of the last few hours worth of memories. Its implied they're not even programmed to activate in the classical sense, rather, if she dies the closest one awakens because clearly Aozaki Touko is still alive - there's one right here!

Her method has turned her into a Mystery all of her own.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

It's really crazy when you realize that Touko's pulling all this nonsense without access to her family's Magic Crest. So this is all just her work,.

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

:colbert:

Dr Pepper posted:

It's really crazy when you realize that Touko's pulling all this nonsense without access to her family's Magic Crest. So this is all just her work,.
She did way more than that. :ssh:

In Mahou, she captures all the bad mages, and lock them in a comfortable place with nice amenities that some prefers to stay there forever. She have access to all their family crest powers.

She is very ethical.

super-redguy
Jan 24, 2019
Touko cares naught for the traditional magus lifestyle.

The climax of Case Files 3 just being everybody getting increasingly fed up with her bullshit (like burning Siegfried's leaf) was amazing.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Kyte posted:

If you just want some Shirou action flick it's not bad to watch without context.

Sold.

Any other one off Fate stuff I can watch/play without needing context or background in?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

the secret is all fate stuff

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Furnaceface posted:

Sold.

Any other one off Fate stuff I can watch/play without needing context or background in?

while i haven't watched Oath Under Snow yet, i can pretty much tell you right off the bat it's not actually stand-alone and you need to have at least some familiarity with FSN (and specifically Heaven's Feel) first. the whole reason i was interested in it is because, by all appearances, it's essentially a wonky alternate version of HF that goes about as pear-shaped as humanly possible for Shirou without outright killing him (and, in the process, he gets to turbo-murder a zombie version of the worst character). i was asking about watching it without the rest of Prisma Illya, since Prisma Illya is loving awful (it's a pedobait magical girl spinoff).

there's basically three good starting points for Fate; you've got the VN (obviously), the DEEN anime (which is bad and you shouldn't watch it), and Zero. those are, to my knowledge, the only three parts of the franchise where you're not going to miss something big if you lack outside context; even if all the events logically track without you having any "wait, huh" moments, pretty much every other Fate thing builds on other Fate things thematically and you're gonna miss at least some of the point if you're not familiar.

(starting with Zero is complicated, and while I'd suggest it as your starting point if you're very definitely not going to read the VN, if reading the VN is on the table at all you should do that first. the best way I can put it is, Zero spoils the living gently caress out of the VN version of Heaven's Feel, but doesn't spoil the HF movies, which just kind of assume you already know the relevant twists from either Zero or the VN.)

e: as far as a general "what's the good Fate poo poo" lineup, this is the stuff I can personally rec, in a rough viewing order:

- Fate/stay night VN
- Fate/zero anime
- Unlimited Blade Works anime (NOT the movie, the movie sucks)
- Heaven's Feel movies
- Lord El-Melloi II Case Files (watch anytime after Zero)
- Today's Menu for Emiya Family (non-canon, no real spoilers, but you might want to hold it off until you're familiar with the FSN cast just because it's more fun if you know everybody)
- Carnival Phantasm (non-canon, has spoilers for literally everything including non-Fate TM stuff, watch dead last and probably also read Tsukihime first)

this is stuff other people seem to like, but i can't personally vouch for:

- Fate/extra (PSP game, works fine on PPSSPP afaik)
- Oath Under Snow (you probably wanna hold this off until after Heaven's Feel)
- Fate Grand Order (alternate timeline phone game, from what I gather this has spoilers for the main FSN/Zero stuff scattered around so maybe hold it off)
- Fate/strange fake (light novel series)

this is That poo poo I Don't Like:

- Fate/Kaleid Liner Prisma Illya, excluding Oath Under Snow (pedobait bullshit, avoid like it's emitting loving cherenkov radiation)
- Fate/apocrypha (pretty and dumb in equal measure, and also has several extremely unfortunate character designs)
- Fate/extra Last Encore (what the gently caress)

WeedlordGoku69 fucked around with this message at 07:50 on Feb 22, 2020

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

i started with five eps of the deen anime and it didn't seem bad because this was like a decade ago, then i spent years ignoring fate until i watched zero, and then apocrypha. i think watch order might be fake

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Ive tried to watch Zero a few times and it just never sticks. :smith:

VN I will eventually give a go, but it wont be any time soon. FGO seems to be pretty sufficient when it comes to getting a Fate fix.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
I will say this, as long as you basically know who everyone is in Zero and the broad strokes of what goes down, you can pretty much just jump to UBW if you're getting bored of it. Zero was hype as gently caress to watch weekly, but it's an absurdly draining binge, especially when you know how it ends. My fiancee and I started binging it as part of me trying to get her into TM, and we've been pretty much stuck at the season break for a little while now because it's just hard to find the motivation to watch a show that's kind of just horrible people being horrible to each other forever until the end of time.

Darox
Nov 10, 2012

I watched Carnival Phantasm with Tsukihime being my only Type-Moon experience and with only the faintest notions of who the FSN cast was via cultural osmosis, and I say watch it first because it's great.

You don't need to know who bone-of-my-sword guy and blue invisible-sword knight girl are to enjoy it.

dogsicle posted:

i think watch order might be fake

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Start with The Argonautica IMO.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

astr0man
Feb 21, 2007

hollyeo deuroga
watch the cooking show

e:

quote:

- Today's Menu for Emiya Family (non-canon)
this is weird to me given that it's basically just the slice of life bits from hollow ataraxia in manga/anime form