Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MikeSevigny
Aug 6, 2002

Habs 2006: Cristobal Persuasion

morestuff posted:

Oh I'd kill for him to go back to regular reviews, he was the only guy I made a point of reading each week. I just don't see why he'd ever want to

He’s got the cubicle right next to Bret Stephens, you wouldn’t want to give that up for some internet job.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.
I'd wager that Morris gets to do all the cool poo poo AO Scott and Manola Darghis do, without having to review insipid Hollywood "shared universe" #7 every other week. They did a good three way reaction piece to the Oscar results on Monday.

His recent article list is here, and it looks like his stuff is getting published regularly. Including some film reviews.

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

Lockback posted:

Nah, seemed ok. It's not the best daily podcast of Wheat Futures but it's pretty solid for episode 1.

And goddamned if Paul F. Tompkins didn't show up for some reason.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

Mr. Funny Pants posted:

And goddamned if Paul F. Tompkins didn't show up for some reason.

That’s the law

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Spencer Hall has a great read on the XFL and if fans want more football so soon after the national championship and super bowl.

Hell of a finish to it:

quote:

I’m not sure people want football to be something with a personality. After all, if the bulk of football fans wanted personalities and faces, they would have picked something else. They’d watch a more refined product, something more humane, a sport where failure was just part of a long buildup to triumph and not a permanent judgment on character.

They’d be watching professional wrestling.

uggy
Aug 6, 2006

Posting is SERIOUS BUSINESS
and I am completely joyless

Don't make me judge you
Is half of being a wrestling fan telling people they should be a wrestling fan

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

uggy posted:

It's like a soap opera!

Jackie D
May 27, 2009

Democracy is like a tambourine - not everyone can be trusted with it.

uggy posted:

The other half is apologizing for being a wrestling fan

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
New Ringer podcast off to a good start

Cognac McCarthy
Oct 5, 2008

It's a man's game, but boys will play

That's a good take tbh

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Kaczynski isn't even in Mindhunter. He's thinking of Manhunt.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
If you are the exact kind of idiot as me who loves to navel gaze about something as simple as listening to music and reads music forums it's a good podcast.

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood
I know the best american sportswriting anthologies are issued in october, but does anyone know when the editor sends out acceptance emails? i haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaate waiting.

DildenAnders
Mar 16, 2016

"I recommend Batman especially, for he tends to transcend the abysmal society in which he's found himself. His morality is rather rigid, also. I rather respect Batman.”

morestuff posted:

Of course they're gonna talk about the manifesto of the goddamn Unabomber like it has some "interesting ideas." Ugh just such pseudoscientific nonsense. Like he was a very intelligent math professor and engineer of some sort, but was certainly not the philosopher he seemed to think he was. It's all just a mish mash of typical, white male aggrandizing drivel, suggesting all of societies ills are the fault of the white man stooping down to others. It's really stupid and boring and I wish people would stop giving it credibility. I'm sure there are significantly less racist and more informed opinions on the idea that technological progression maybe hasn't helped as much as we think.
The really interesting thing about the Unabomber story is what they did to that guy at Harvard, it's absolutely bonkers and isn't discussed nearly enough when the Unabomber comes up.
https://ahrp.org/1959-1962-harvard-and-the-making-of-the-unabomber/

morestuff posted:

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

DildenAnders posted:

Of course they're gonna talk about the manifesto of the goddamn Unabomber like it has some "interesting ideas." Ugh just such pseudoscientific nonsense. Like he was a very intelligent math professor and engineer of some sort, but was certainly not the philosopher he seemed to think he was. It's all just a mish mash of typical, white male aggrandizing drivel, suggesting all of societies ills are the fault of the white man stooping down to others. It's really stupid and boring and I wish people would stop giving it credibility. I'm sure there are significantly less racist and more informed opinions on the idea that technological progression maybe hasn't helped as much as we think.
The really interesting thing about the Unabomber story is what they did to that guy at Harvard, it's absolutely bonkers and isn't discussed nearly enough when the Unabomber comes up.

just lmao if you don't look at twitter, facebook, reddit, etc and don't think "man, uncle ted had some good points"

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

PHIZ KALIFA posted:

I know the best american sportswriting anthologies are issued in october, but does anyone know when the editor sends out acceptance emails? i haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaate waiting.

I hate to be the bearer of bad news but I got my acceptance letter last week for my 2019 post entitled "Real Badrid" published on Something Awful dot com.

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

DildenAnders posted:

I just learned about that a few weeks ago. It's loving incredible. Kaczinksi should be in a secured hospital, not prison. For that matter, he should be allowed to sue Harvard into the loving ground.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

BWV posted:

I hate to be the bearer of bad news but I got my acceptance letter last week for my 2019 post entitled "Real Badrid" published on Something Awful dot com.

gotta keep it up for another 2 months and you'll see that sweet posting money come in

Pozload Escobar
Aug 21, 2016

by Reene

DildenAnders posted:

Sir this is a Wendy’s

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

DildenAnders posted:

suggesting all of societies ills are the fault of the white man

Maybe not all but for the most part, yeah

DildenAnders posted:

stooping down to others.

Oh.

DildenAnders
Mar 16, 2016

"I recommend Batman especially, for he tends to transcend the abysmal society in which he's found himself. His morality is rather rigid, also. I rather respect Batman.”

A Buff Gay Dude posted:

Sir this is a Wendy’s

If I can't note the "Genetic Hygiene" advocacy lurking inside the most popular Neo-Luddite manifesto of our time, then I will happily take my business elsewhere, fascist. 4 for 4 is overrated anyway.
In other news, any word on how well UTSB did/ if there's any chance Deadspin returns?

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

DildenAnders posted:

if there's any chance Deadspin returns?

G/O Media owns the rights to the Deadspin name, has severed its communication with the GMG union and is moving Deadspin's "offices" (lol) to Chicago, where they'll share office space with The Onion, The AV Club, The Takeout and a few other sites. They have a new editor-in-chief, Jim Rich, who's a dipshit whataboutist meathead who farted out a bunch of bullshit at HuffPo and the New York Daily News.

In short, no, Deadspin is dead. No one's going to put together the amount of funding it would take to get people like Magary, Roth and others back into a full-time fold.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel
Bear Friday

https://mobile.twitter.com/wingoz/status/1231053449317486592

Aggro
Apr 24, 2003

STRONG as an OX and TWICE as SMART
I just want a Drew and Roth podcast again

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Aggro posted:

I just want a Drew and Roth podcast again

Can't they set up a Patreon or something?

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009

Timby posted:

In short, no, Deadspin is dead. No one's going to put together the amount of funding it would take to get people like Magary, Roth and others back into a full-time fold.

Will Leitch wrote that he was part of a group that tried to buy Deadspin from G/O but they were turned down out of spite.

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

not sports journalism, but deadspin adjacent: David Roth wrote a good article about Bernie and Trump https://newrepublic.com/article/156639/bernie-sanders-no-donald-trump

Cognac McCarthy
Oct 5, 2008

It's a man's game, but boys will play

God, he is such a good writer

Akileese
Feb 6, 2005

Jon and Kofie put out their new fumble dimension where they built a golf course and played it (with reader input).

Jon and Kofie: golf commentators is beautiful.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rQYaRJ7RIvc

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

it is better if you keep saying I'm fat, as I will continue to score goals
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/RobTornoe/status/1231962362640556034
:thunk:

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

Why’d they buy it if they’re just gonna shut it down?

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

Oh poo poo, Barstool is shutting down?
e;fb

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

Is this the case of a bizzaro-Deadspin?

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

I wouldn't buy that with someone else's money.

it's either pure lip service or they're just deleting comments on articles or something minor like that

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.

Mahoning posted:

:hmmyes:

Stoole Presidente has some questions to answer!

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it

The sports website wont cover smoke shows anymore??? Where am I supposed to look at attractive women on the internet???

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Mahoning posted:

The thought of money people buying a sports website, only to gut it of its most popular content and signature characteristics, is just ridiculous.

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One

FMguru posted:

The thought of money people buying a sports website, only to gut it of its most popular content and signature characteristics, is just ridiculous.

It reminds me of how Sports Night was advertised as being about sports but not really.

Unfortunately, money people aren't good at subtext but :capitalism:

HMS Beagle
Feb 13, 2009

No.

https://twitter.com/jon_bois/status/1232367292220088320?s=20

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Hope he talks about Ruppert Jones