Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jink
May 8, 2002

Drop it like it's Hot.
Taco Defender

orcane posted:

Yeah this. Some cases are more "small form" than others, sometimes you can fit a small tower cooler that will stay relatively quiet (unless you're trying to run overclocked Ryzen 3950X or i9 9900Ketc. CPUs),

hahahaha, I am called out. I am running a custom made case, Compact Splash, which is around 14L. I have a i9 9900k that I have been battling temps with. Picture attached from water block swap a couple weeks ago.

With a 240 on top and 120 in front I am able to keep the i9 and 1080ti cool and very quiet with Noctua A12 fans. This is after extensive testing at different LLC values and ratios, settling on all core 49 and LLC 5 (LLC 'high' on Asrock, lowest over/under volting) and a +40 offset.

AVX loads are around 90C and non AVX loads are usually around 70-80C. I set the fans to sit around 40% speed until ~73C and then start ramping up. The DDC pump stays at ~1200rpm until temps rise above 80C and then it ramps up to combat flow restrictions in the Optimus block, fittings, etc. Plenty quiet at almost all loads, games are near silent. Benchmarks are the time I hear the machine, usually.

It was not easy, but I can help with guides or advice if anyone else is trying to cool down some of these super hot components.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
Maybe this will help...

As of today, I have a i7-8600 paired with a EVGA GeForce GTX 1070 SC GAMING ACX 3.0 housed in a Fractal Design Define Nano S. With some generic 92mm heatsink on the cpu and everything else is stock.

I don't want the current noise to increase beyond what is already which is ideal even under load. I'd migrate all of this to a small ITX Case, motherboard and with a new fancy high end CPU Cooler.

What kind of load noise would I see with the following options? I was thinking of picking up a 3x fan and 3-slot RTX 1070 with the suspicion this along with a large CPU heatsink should be able to allow me to have want I want while still in a smaller package. Is the NCase M1 my best bet here?

Is there any "reasonable" way I could jam this all into an even smaller case like the Dan A4 while keeping everything on air?

Gucci Loafers fucked around with this message at 00:30 on Feb 11, 2020

LordAdakos
Sep 1, 2009
I've got a 9900k and 2070 in an NCaseM1 running on air. No undercoating. It's super quiet.and fairly cool under load. Running noctua fans. Case sits about three feet away from me on my desk.

It's doable.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Really tempted to get a Xbox One X just to have IMO the perfect SFF layout even if it can't run a desktop OS.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Speaking of the M1, I got my tracking number today. I still need to decide if I'm doing this build as AMD or Intel though.

Happy_Misanthrope
Aug 3, 2007

"I wanted to kill you, go to your funeral, and anyone who showed up to mourn you, I wanted to kill them too."

ughhhh posted:

so got the new Lian Li TU 150, which is like a bigger Ncase m1 clone that is actually in stock and can be got off of new egg etc. its slightly larger than 20L so not really sff, but since i really like the aesthetics of large heat sinks i couldn't really use those sff cases with sandwich layouts.

How are noise levels/temps at load?

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

LordAdakos posted:

I've got a 9900k and 2070 in an NCaseM1 running on air. No undercoating. It's super quiet.and fairly cool under load. Running noctua fans. Case sits about three feet away from me on my desk.

It's doable.

What fans and heatsink are you using?

ughhhh
Oct 17, 2012

Happy_Misanthrope posted:

How are noise levels/temps at load?

So far its been great. Pretty sure the rubber feet and tempered glass help alot with keeping the noise at bay. Under load things run stable at around 68f cpu and 71f gpu. The most audible component in the build is the GPU which ramps up to around 60~70% at around 70f under load. I don't know if the bottom fans do anything wrt the gpu and might just be making unnecessary noise and turbulence.

Happy_Misanthrope
Aug 3, 2007

"I wanted to kill you, go to your funeral, and anyone who showed up to mourn you, I wanted to kill them too."

ughhhh posted:

So far its been great. Pretty sure the rubber feet and tempered glass help alot with keeping the noise at bay. Under load things run stable at around 68f cpu and 71f gpu. The most audible component in the build is the GPU which ramps up to around 60~70% at around 70f under load. I don't know if the bottom fans do anything wrt the gpu and might just be making unnecessary noise and turbulence.

Cool, thanks. Perfectly fine temps.

LordAdakos
Sep 1, 2009

Tab8715 posted:

What fans and heatsink are you using?

It's actually a 9700k, my bad. Running at 4.8Ghz

Running Noctua NH-U9S as my heatsink and a couple of Noctua NF-A12x15 on the bottom for intake and Noctua NF-A12x25 for intake.

CPU cores idle around 40C and GPU Idles around 36. CPU tmps about 72-74 under load. I can hear the fans a little at this point but its smoooooth.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

LordAdakos posted:

It's actually a 9700k, my bad. Running at 4.8Ghz

Running Noctua NH-U9S as my heatsink and a couple of Noctua NF-A12x15 on the bottom for intake and Noctua NF-A12x25 for intake.

CPU cores idle around 40C and GPU Idles around 36. CPU tmps about 72-74 under load. I can hear the fans a little at this point but its smoooooth.

What's the heatsink on the GPU? I am I wrong in thinking that a 3-Slot and 3-Fan GPU is going to give me that much of a silent system?

ughhhh
Oct 17, 2012

Tab8715 posted:

What's the heatsink on the GPU? I am I wrong in thinking that a 3-Slot and 3-Fan GPU is going to give me that much of a silent system?

I'll say that even a 2 fan fe nvidia gpu does a good job of keeping things quite when well ventilated, but you have to be lucky in getting one without any fan whine. To be safe a 3 fan gpu from a good vendor with 0rpm idle should be good.

Its gonna be audible at 60~70% fan speed but not terrible

LordAdakos
Sep 1, 2009
I ended up with a gigabyte 2070 super with 3 fans taking up 2.5 slots. I set custom fan curves for both my CPU, gpu, and case fans to limit the noise best I can. I'm not a pro at this by any means, and I'm sure there are plenty of people with substantially better fan curve profiles, but it seems to work for me.

I had a tu150 with no window (aluminum vented side panel instead) that gave me slightly higher temps than the M1. I think this was because I could mount more fans on the M1.

I am running all fans on intake. Two slim bottom to cool the GPU and one side intake. I have no top or rear or front fans. The CPU cooler is helping exhaust air.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
Number of fans is not really a good benchmark because two larger ones can be just as effective at lower RPM. The high-end models with 3 fans usually also come with a huge heatsink that frequently doesn't fit into SFF cases. On the other hand, tiny coolers with 3 fans might still be annoyingly loud if built poorly.

orcane fucked around with this message at 14:48 on Feb 15, 2020

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

orcane posted:

Number of fans is not really a good benchmark because two larger ones can be just as effective at lower RPM. The high-end models with 3 fans usually also come with a huge heatsink that frequently doesn't fit into SFF cases. On the other hand, tiny coolers with 3 fans might still be annoyingly loud if built poorly.

My thinking here is the the bigger heatsink with three fans and three slots would fit into the M1.

If I'm just going for 2-Fan 2-Slot Card I might as well looking at something even smaller like the Dan A4 Case.

hypnophant
Oct 19, 2012
Getting the M1 down to the noise levels you're currently experiencing is not going to be possible. The noise-deadening material in the Define is very effective, and high-end air won't be able to make up for it, especially at load.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

hypnophant posted:

Getting the M1 down to the noise levels you're currently experiencing is not going to be possible. The noise-deadening material in the Define is very effective, and high-end air won't be able to make up for it, especially at load.

Is there a way to get away with it using just a AIO CPU Cooler or another custom custom?

Using watercooling with a GPU seems like a huge pain.

hypnophant
Oct 19, 2012
Arctic extreme and a large cpu cooler are going to give you the best results with the M1, it's just not going to be near-silent the way a Define or similar noise-deadened case are. The M1 is a nice case, don't get me wrong. It just won't be able to provide the same degree of noise control.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

How good are the little prebuilt mini systems with a J5005 processor for general web browsing, point and click games, maybe 10+ year old other titles?

Looking at this type of machine: (but not necessarily exactly this unit)

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B07XSZN81Y/ref=ox_sc_saved_title_2?smid=AMSFF11DD0K5A&psc=1

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

I cannot wait for the IO version of this case, but calling it a DAN clone just because it痴 a sandwich layout is kind of lame. It痴 had a lot of thought put into it and the adjustable frame to fit 3-slot cards is such a good idea.

Happy_Misanthrope
Aug 3, 2007

slidebite posted:

How good are the little prebuilt mini systems with a J5005 processor for general web browsing, point and click games, maybe 10+ year old other titles?

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B07XSZN81Y/ref=ox_sc_saved_title_2?smid=AMSFF11DD0K5A&psc=1

I don't see why it wouldn't perform very well for those type of tasks. I was going to recommend a Nuc but seeing as this includes 8gb and a 2GB ssd for $400 CAD that's actually decently priced.

Anything graphics intensive though, even 10 year old titles above 720p may be a ittle difficult though as that's an awful IGP. This is one area I hope AMD moves into with their 4000 laptop APU's, they could absolutely decimate the Intel NUC's from a price/performance perspective in at least the lower-end models, especially the GPU.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Has there been any word on AM4 motherboards in development that support USB 3.1 gen 2 headers? So far, the only thing I've seen is the Crosshair 7, and I'm trying to stick to the mini-ITX form factor. And also not spend more money on the mobo than I plan to spend on the processor.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Happy_Misanthrope posted:

I don't see why it wouldn't perform very well for those type of tasks. I was going to recommend a Nuc but seeing as this includes 8gb and a 2GB ssd for $400 CAD that's actually decently priced.

Anything graphics intensive though, even 10 year old titles above 720p may be a ittle difficult though as that's an awful IGP. This is one area I hope AMD moves into with their 4000 laptop APU's, they could absolutely decimate the Intel NUC's from a price/performance perspective in at least the lower-end models, especially the GPU.

Thanks for that. Thinking of a mom machine. Agree with amd giving some competition, would be nice.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

Warmachine posted:

USB 3.1 gen 2 headers?

In the ever-changing USB specification, USB 3.1, later USB 3.1 Gen 2 is now USB 3.2 Gen 2, BTW.

Lambert fucked around with this message at 13:40 on Feb 23, 2020

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Lambert posted:

In the ever-changing USB specification, USB 3.1, later USB 3.1 Gen 2 is now USB 3.2 Gen 2, BTW.

:psyduck:

The 20-pin one!

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
What's the point of using version numbering if you reset the numbers even retroactively every new release :psyduck:

USB 3.0 / 3.1 / 3.2 for the different Gbps variants would have been absolutely fine and clear so I guess that would have been too easy.

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

I've posted this before but the USB-IF should be disbanded.

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

People don't appreciate the substance of things...
objects in space.

Oven Wrangler

slidebite posted:

If this one data point helps any, Classic WoW runs fine at 540p (scaled to native res) on a Surface 3 which I'm pretty sure is lower performance in every meaningful way.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Eletriarnation posted:

If this one data point helps any, Classic WoW runs fine at 540p (scaled to native res) on a Surface 3 which I'm pretty sure is lower performance in every meaningful way.

I'm surprised your processor hasn't melted its way through the backplate.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6TaQ7KV0KuI

Case looks cool as hell! If I wasn't addicted to my 3.5" 4tb HDD I would consider swapping from my H200i.

owls or something
Jul 7, 2003

SalTheBard posted:

Case looks cool as hell! If I wasn't addicted to my 3.5" 4tb HDD I would consider swapping from my H200i.

They lost me with the $350 price tag and special included PSU & CPU cooler.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

Fallen Rib
Did you see them actually break the price down comparing similar AIO, PSU and case? It's high but not absurd.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

SalTheBard posted:

It's a cool looking case but I hate the I/O on the bottom, and there's no way to put a bigger AIO in there.

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

People don't appreciate the substance of things...
objects in space.

Oven Wrangler

Warmachine posted:

I'm surprised your processor hasn't melted its way through the backplate.

The 2W processor that uses the whole aluminum chassis as a heatsink? No problems at all.

owls or something
Jul 7, 2003

SalTheBard posted:

Did you see them actually break the price down comparing similar AIO, PSU and case? It's high but not absurd.

Yeah, I just (personally) would rather pick my own PSU or cooler. Kind of the point in building your own system?

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

Fallen Rib

owls or something posted:

Yeah, I just (personally) would rather pick my own PSU or cooler. Kind of the point in building your own system?

Yes I understand that!

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

owls or something posted:

It wouldn't be nearly as compact though. You are still deciding on your own CPU, Mobo, RAM, drives and graphics card.

I would be thrilled to roll my own Corsair One, to be honest.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

Fallen Rib
Yeah one thing I thought was cool was that all the cables were pre routed so it was literally, drop the motherboard in, connect everything, plug in graphics card, boot up computer. I spent hours cable managing my system to make it look as nice as possible.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
Is anyone able to spot check my re-build? I知 just picking up a new Power Supply, Case and Motherboard. The only thing that would eventually change is video card - that値l likely get swapped out for something better when new architectures come out in Fall 2020. I知 trying to see if can grab a Dan A4 from Overclockers.co.uk since they ship to the US.

PC Part Picker

My only question, what should I go with for a Power Supply? Am I really able to get away with just a 450W Power Supply? I知 a little surprised I知 getting such low numbers but maybe it値l work out?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arzachel
May 12, 2012
I have a Corsair SF450 powering a 2600 + 1070ti system with no issues.