Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
I predict that you will love the game up until the point where something causes you to break your daily streak and then you will suddenly stop playing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

The Repo Man posted:

As far as my understanding goes, and I could certainly be wrong, anything beyond a clean kill lowers pelt/carcass quality. I've never had a 3 star get killed in any manner that wasn't a headshot or lasso and have it's pelt remain a 3 star. Well, except for land animals that you can kill with the varmint rifle. Shoot a squirrel in the tail? 3 stars! Shoot a rabbit in the foot? My friend, that's 3 stars for you!

Is it possible to mercy kill an animal and not reduce it's pelt rating?

Varmint rifles definitely drop 3-star squirrels down to 2-stars, same for any bird. Maybe if you manage to headshot them? I never succeeded, they're too drat small and skittish to get close and aim properly.

I so want to get perfect carcasses of small animals, but hell if I'm paying 350$ to learn how to make small game arrows... btw since 3-star small carcasses are absolutely useless in Online (you'll always want to bring Cripps bigger ones and it's not worth bothering with perfect squirrels and birds), I don't even see what the point is in gating small game arrows behind an expensive pamphlet, just make it 50$ drat it

Sleekly
Aug 21, 2008

i dont give a gently caress about the streaks. i just want an hour or two without any disconnects or game loving glitches. seems like thats not a lot to ask but apparently :rockstar: thinks otherwise

Dragonstoned
Jan 15, 2006

MR. DOG WITH BEES IN HIS MOUTH AND WHEN HE BARKS HE SHOOTS BEES AT YOU
by Roger Hargreaves

The Repo Man posted:

As far as my understanding goes, and I could certainly be wrong, anything beyond a clean kill lowers pelt/carcass quality. I've never had a 3 star get killed in any manner that wasn't a headshot or lasso and have it's pelt remain a 3 star. Well, except for land animals that you can kill with the varmint rifle. Shoot a squirrel in the tail? 3 stars! Shoot a rabbit in the foot? My friend, that's 3 stars for you!

I've hosed up a bunch of shots that I thought for sure would lower the pelts down to 2* but when I got to the wounded animal it was still 3* and then I just have to stand there awkwardly waiting for it to bleed out.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Downloading a 3.15 GB patch. Excited to see what :rockstar: managed to break this time.

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

SplitSoul posted:

Downloading a 3.15 GB patch. Excited to see what :rockstar: managed to break this time.

Well, when I boot up the game on PC it now starts by giving me an error message about how the game requires an NVIDIA driver version that doesn't actually appear to be available yet, so I can tell you it's not a great sign.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

CarlCX posted:

Well, when I boot up the game on PC it now starts by giving me an error message about how the game requires an NVIDIA driver version that doesn't actually appear to be available yet, so I can tell you it's not a great sign.

Launched regardless with the most recent drivers. Can't immediately tell what's changed and there don't appear to be any patch notes yet.

Hakarne
Jul 23, 2007
Vivo en el autobús!

Oh God please tell me I can dual wield in free roam events again it's been so long

Ygolonac
Nov 26, 2007

pre:
CLUTCH  NIXON

The Hero We Need
Oh hey, Bootlegger event just across the bridge from Thieve's Landing! Still poisoning! I poison wih lead, friend. :clint: Kill a bunch of moonshiners, almost ready to loot'n'scoot... and the Del Lobos come swarming over, and I have to kill like 25-30 enemies. :smithicide:

So you wanna do a bounty? You're in Valentine? OK, go get this fool - she's at the meatpacking plant outside St Denis. :pwn:

Also, the "Visit Colter" daily was apparently broken - went there three time (2 fast travel, one hardway) and never got the daily, or even the announcement that I'd gotten to a new town.

OK, may was well make a long delivery. O'Driscolls keep rolling up on me, mostly two to a horse - except the one, where I keep shooting dudes off, but the horse didn't empty. That was four dudes before I said fuckit and capped the gluebait.

Ygolonac fucked around with this message at 01:28 on Feb 21, 2020

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
If a daily is dumb just don't do it. The gold will come and the streak is the important thing. It's not worth doing them all for the bonus if you're going to be spending over an hour on one.

Freudian slippers
Jun 23, 2009
US Goon shocked and appalled to find that world is a dirty, unjust place

Ygolonac posted:

Oh hey, Bootlegger event just across the bridge from Thieve's Landing! Still poisoning! I poison wih lead, friend. :clint: Kill a bunch of moonshiners, almost ready to loot'n'scoot... and the Del Lobos come swarming over, and I have to kill like 25-30 enemies. :smithicide:

So you wanna do a bounty? You're in Valentine? OK, go get this fool - she's at the meatpacking plant outside St Denis. :pwn:

Also, the "Visit Colter" daily was apparently broken - went there three time (2 fast travel, one hardway) and never got the daily, or even the announcement that I'd gotten to a new town.

OK, may was well make a long delivery. O'Driscolls keep rolling up on me, mostly two to a horse - except the one, where I keep shooting dudes off, but the horse didn't empty. That was four dudes before I said fuckit and capped the gluebait.

Yeah, the bugs were strong yesterday. I visited Colter twice with no luck, also both my camp AND moonshiner shack just up and disappeared.

PoultryHammock
Oct 23, 2011
Just got the game on sale through green man, was looking forward to trying out the game that apparently burnt down standing relationships and led to dumb-asses losing their jobs (according to r/relationships). But the reactivity just feels super bad around a lot of things, like its seems to be arbitrary as far as how missions respond to actions, or even normal open-world stuff were a town hates me for I don't know what. I'm not even trying to min-max but things like tracking rabbits in story mission led me outside the mission zone, so I had to reload from the checkpoint, which just restarted the whole mission. It seems there are a bunch of rules I'm not given that I end up breaking, and it's kinda turning into a chore. Does it get better about this sorta stuff, or is this just more coming my way?

Sleekly
Aug 21, 2008

PoultryHammock posted:

Just got the game on sale through green man, was looking forward to trying out the game that apparently burnt down standing relationships and led to dumb-asses losing their jobs (according to r/relationships). But the reactivity just feels super bad around a lot of things, like its seems to be arbitrary as far as how missions respond to actions, or even normal open-world stuff were a town hates me for I don't know what. I'm not even trying to min-max but things like tracking rabbits in story mission led me outside the mission zone, so I had to reload from the checkpoint, which just restarted the whole mission. It seems there are a bunch of rules I'm not given that I end up breaking, and it's kinda turning into a chore. Does it get better about this sorta stuff, or is this just more coming my way?

wut

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Hakarne posted:

Oh God please tell me I can dual wield in free roam events again it's been so long

What does your heart tell you? :rockstar:

Can't tell the difference aside from the driver warning, I assume it's just new modes that nobody plays and possibly as yet undiscovered bugs, so exactly like GTAO.

Ygolonac
Nov 26, 2007

pre:
CLUTCH  NIXON

The Hero We Need
Change in camp stuff, anyway - go off and crime a little (lasso/drag NPC enemy) and move off a ways to ditch the laws. Return to camp and oh hey, gone, what a surprise. Guess I can pick the thyme that's here now... and as I go to grab the plant, camp respawns around me.

And despawns my thyme.

Otherwise seems OK, for the time I was playing. Went to Lagras before the daily change, to go gatoring and see if I could get an egret, and almost immediately had a hideout spawn across the muck in Dutch's old camp. Clear that, and a revenooer roadblock spawns to the east before I can even finish looting, so I go take care of that. Oh, and as I was rolling back to Lagras with ten minutes until the changeover, I found an egret!

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
Well you know what they say, thyme flies when you're having fun

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Ygolonac posted:

Change in camp stuff, anyway - go off and crime a little (lasso/drag NPC enemy) and move off a ways to ditch the laws. Return to camp and oh hey, gone, what a surprise. Guess I can pick the thyme that's here now... and as I go to grab the plant, camp respawns around me.

Had that happen before the patch, so not new.

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

"It's J is for...you know what? Fuck it, jizz it is"

PoultryHammock posted:

Yeah the singleplayer is modern Rockstar; beautiful immersive world but completely unflinchingly strict mission structure.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
Seems like it either SUPER clicks with you and you are mega ultra immersed (as I was) or you find everything to be weirdly boring and repetitive. After playing this I'm wondering if my opinion would change about some of the older Assassin's Creed games.

weg
Jun 6, 2006

Reassisted Retrogression

Ygolonac posted:

And despawns my thyme.

Imagine four camps on the edge of a cliff...

Thyme works the same way.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

weg posted:

lol goddamnit

Freudian slippers
Jun 23, 2009
US Goon shocked and appalled to find that world is a dirty, unjust place

weg posted:

:perfect:

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

weg posted:

Fucccck

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

weg posted:

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 15 days!

weg posted:

New thread title right here

Also the update still didn't fix my problem of being unable to session hop in online, or go from online to single player and vice versa. Just get infinite loading screens :(

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Oh nice I got a new and exciting error: error FFFFFFFF!

I believe it's short for FFFFFFFFUCK THIS GAME TO HELL AND BACK

but my stream is safe for now, I managed to pick 5 common bulrush or whatever between Cripps packing my camp yet again and a crash. Lovely! :rockstar:

also I bought the collector saddle because why not, at this point it's not like I need the money for anything. I despise having to rebuy stirrups/saddlebags/lanterns, it got me to like 5$ (which brings the question: what happens if I can't afford to pay camp maintenance / stable fee? Does it just become "free" if I have 0$?) but them's the breaks and now I'm fully decked out in Collector gear: camp theme, best tent, most expensive outfit, compass belt ornament, top tier horse, collector saddle with best stirrups and lantern. Worth losing the extra 1 bar accel/speed from the Nacogdoches saddle in the name of aesthetics? I think so, for now at least.

When is the new outlaw pack coming out? I remember something about the current one expiring mid-March or so? I want new trinkets...

TorakFade fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Feb 21, 2020

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

They released patch notes.

https://support.rockstargames.com/articles/360042861654/RDR2-Title-Update-1-17-Notes-PS4-Xbox-One-PC

quote:

- Improvements to reduce issues with ambient wildlife populations in certain Red Dead Online sessions
- Improvements made to performance optimizations that should prevent some stuttering/hitching issues that occurred when using Vulkan on systems with NVIDIA graphics cards
- Fixed an issue that caused the “Rockstar Games Launcher exited unexpectedly” error when launching the game on some systems with specific types of audio hardware
- Fixed several crashes that occurred on systems with multiple monitor/adapter configurations when launching the game or entering fullscreen mode
- Fixed several crashes that occurred during loading screens when launching the game or switching between Story Mode and Red Dead Online
- Fixed several crashes that occurred when using Vulkan drivers on systems with NVIDIA graphics cards
- Fixed several crashes that occurred when using Vulkan drivers on systems with Intel integrated graphics processors
- Fixed issues with lighting quality and benchmarking tool accuracy on some systems using multiple graphics cards
- Fixed several random crashes that occurred during gameplay in Story Mode and Red Dead Online
- Fixed an issue that caused a crash and prevented the game from launching when switching between different Graphics API options on some hardware configurations
- Fixed a crash that occurred when changing resolution via Windows’ display settings while the game was running
- Added a warning that informs the player of outdated graphics cards drivers when launching the game
- Added ‘-noDPIAdjust’ launch argument - Users encountering aspect ratio issues when using an AOC AG241QX monitor through DisplayPort should manually add this argument through Rockstar Games Launcher / Epic Games Store / Steam

SdeeeL
Jan 24, 2020
Nice, mabye I can run it now without crashes

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

quote:

- Fixed several crashes that occurred on systems with multiple monitor/adapter configurations when launching the game or entering fullscreen mode

Is this why the game keep stealing focus? I have two monitors and always keep a map/wiki open and often look for stuff... It worked great until the patch, since yesterday I can't keep the mouse pointer outside the game for more than 5 seconds

:rockstar:

PlisskensEyePatch
Oct 10, 2012
Update reset my 185 day streak.

Nash
Aug 1, 2003

Sign my 'Bring Goldberg Back' Petition
Played last night for a few hours on Xbone. Definitely noticed an increase in wildlife population.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

SdeeeL posted:

Nice, mabye I can run it now without crashes

haha. I definitely got disconnects and crashes yesterday.

Oberst
May 24, 2010

Fertilizing threads since 2010
Wildlife are back baby

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Oberst posted:

Wildlife are back baby

I want to believe this but I just don't trust rockstar

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back
Is the wildlife back? I deleted the game because that made it so frustrating

PoultryHammock
Oct 23, 2011

jisforjosh posted:

Yeah the singleplayer is modern Rockstar; beautiful immersive world but completely unflinchingly strict mission structure.

Cool, thanks, I haven't played a Rockstar game in forever. I'm just bouncing off stuff super hard.

SdeeeL
Jan 24, 2020

Zesty posted:

haha. I definitely got disconnects and crashes yesterday.

Nice, so it's getting worse.. Will try it tomorrow maybe i have luck :P

Professorjuggalo
Oct 22, 2019

by Cyrano4747
SP RDR2 was still the best thing I played all of 2019 and I’m mad PC players never talked about it in the thread because there’s new bugs every other day in MP

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 15 days!
I just want the Navy revolver in single player :argh:

And a way of porting my Online character over with all her outfits and some of the perks you get from the different routes, like having your horse grab herbs for you

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

Can i just play in singleplayer with my player character. give them arthurs voice, i dont care.