Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum

Antigravitas posted:

The gently caress is that in response to, and why do I get the feeling that :ironicat: is appropriate?

Cloud Vision API will not return gendered labels such as 'man' and 'woman'

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

growlist 14 days ago [-]

I'm a fan of Hayek on this - I believe the market is one of the most incredible things every created by humanity, phenomenally complex and information rich, and it stands to reason that there is no way a group of people can ever hope to come close to the market's capability of communicating information about desires from people to producers.
And the best practical evidence we have is that every significant attempt at communism has produced dreadful outcomes, up to and including actual genocide. Communism can only work when every country in the world is Communist, because otherwise people will always want to leave for the Capitalist country where things are better. Draw your own conclusions about where highly visible activists really want to take the world.

seems like a charmer

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe

Xik posted:

Cloud Vision API will not return gendered labels such as 'man' and 'woman'

"but how am I supposed to clumsily wrap this and middleman-sell it to other companies for Computer Aided Discrimination" :qq:

dads friend steve
Dec 24, 2004

lol that guys beef is that he needs an API to validate his identity as a cis guy

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
the computer is the absolute Source of Truth

Facts Dont Care About Your Feelings

suffix
Jul 27, 2013

Wheeee!

quote:

I work in the blockchain space (the blockchain I work on doesn't use Merkle trees) and I still don't understand why there is so much hype around Merkle trees. My understanding is that they allow you to quickly check if an element is part of a potentially large set? Isn't this 'fast lookup' problem already solved by database indexing?

quote:

My point stands that if each block ID is computed from:

1. A hash of all the transactions inside the block. AND

2. The hash from the previous block.

Then you can verify that the block is legit without a merkle tree.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Vomik posted:

first year all in comp is about 150-160k. where is a 23 year old going to make 300-320k anywhere else in the world easily

a 23 year old who has an ivy league degree and good enough connections to get hired as a junior banker

these are not exactly "regular joes"

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

PCjr sidecar posted:

play cravath games, win capitalism prizes

i loled

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

a 23 year old who has an ivy league degree and good enough connections to get hired as a junior banker

these are not exactly "regular joes"

its ibanking, management consulting, vc and tech majors (and oil majors)

not exactly the most moral bunch, these

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum
onetimemanytime 31 minutes ago | parent | favorite | on: Slavery in Early Austin: The Stringer’s Hotel and ...

>>Here's just a few of the corporations that exploit prison (slave) labor

Apples and mangoes:

Would it be better if prisoners didn't work at all or is $1 a day better for them?

Is this forced labor?

Did these companies set the salaries or did the Government?

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

when you definitely know computer

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
Reinventing things badly is a HNs raison d'être, non?

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

thu2111 22 hours ago [-]

Haha yeah -4, that's pretty far out. Lots of people who hate tax credits out there!
It's really hard to defend libraries though. They're not just an inefficient use of space. They're bad for the environment too, as people have to travel back and forth all the time to swap books, discover the book they want isn't returned yet, etc. They're often badly maintained. Their books get damaged, lost or stolen. Their selection is really, really limited.
Buying a book online is a great replacement except for the buying part. For most people books aren't a big part of their expenditure. For people for whom it is it'd be reasonable to effectively give them the money back instead. Especially now the marginal cost of the "book" is near zero, like with software. If the admin systems were good enough you'd never have to think about it: it could be integrated with the booksellers checkout system so the cost is literally zero. Of course that's not how tax credits really work today, but it could be done that way.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
I really, really hate that person.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Antigravitas posted:

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum
thu2111 9 hours ago [-]

Collaboration and production?

I think your local libraries are very different to the sorts of libraries I used to use as a child. What you're describing there sounds more like a community centre of some sort.

Libraries are traditionally silent for example. You don't collaborate in them or else you get shushed. You definitely don't run 3D printers in them!

But I can see that if that's what you associate with modern libraries then replacing them with book purchase credits would seem a poor trade.

thu2111 4 hours ago [-]

Maybe so. But is it still a library if its primary cited uses isn't reading books? Why not just rename it to what it really is, some sort of community/maker centre?

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum

Antigravitas posted:

He hasn't been to a library since he was a kid, probably 30 years ago or whatever.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Antigravitas posted:

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Xik posted:

He hasn't been to a library since he was a kid, probably 30 years ago or whatever.

it's because he's rich, op

books are "not a major expenditure," because he doesn't read, and because $20 for a book is like buying a banana, to him`

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

it's because he's rich, op

books are "not a major expenditure," because he doesn't read, and because $20 for a book is like buying a banana, to him`

Xik posted:

It’s both

tracecomplete
Feb 26, 2017

I have a terminal case of computer touchery and I just got a library card this week because I can borrow books from anywhere in the state and get access to a bunch of academic journals from the comfort of my home.

One book I'm picking up Monday is $55 on Amazon. I make good money but I'm not stupid.

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

my partner is wrapping up a degree remotely and the local library is able to proctor his exams, including receiving the exam from the university and then scanning and emailing back the result, for free

mystes
May 31, 2006

Progressive JPEG posted:

my partner is wrapping up a degree remotely and the local library is able to proctor his exams, including receiving the exam from the university and then scanning and emailing back the result, for free
Unless there was a missing "take out a $500,000 loan and flush the money down the toilet" step you left out, that sounds dangerously like a degree in communist brainwashing, comrade.

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

kragen 3 hours ago [-]

Mathematicians are perfectly capable of doing all those self-care things, as monks do in every monastery. (By contrast, non-mathematicians are unable to build anything larger than a small hut without help from mathematicians in the form of geometry.)
I don't know of a single mathematician who has ODed on amphetamines, although of course amphetamines have been popular with mathematicians since they were discovered; and I know of only one who voted for Trump (Dan Kleitman), although undoubtedly others exist. The doses of amphetamines conducive to doing mathematics are about two orders of magnitude lower than the lethal doses, so it seems unlikely that someone who takes them to improve concentration rather than for euphoria would OD accidentally, as heroin users frequently do.
Funding is only necessary to the extent that it helps keep the torch-wielding villagers away from the gate. To the extent that it subjects mathematical research to political tests, it is not only unnecessary, but counterproductive.
If my filter bubble includes Bruno, Socrates, Mozi, Gödel, Turing, and Archimedes, I think its radius is adequate.
I think the downvoting of my "tirade" to -2 has shown that non-mathematicians hate and fear mathematicians, think that all those killings of mathematicians I listed were reasonable and justified, and would like to silence any criticism of them.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

AFashionableHat posted:

I have a terminal case of computer touchery and I just got a library card this week because I can borrow books from anywhere in the state and get access to a bunch of academic journals from the comfort of my home.

One book I'm picking up Monday is $55 on Amazon. I make good money but I'm not stupid.
ive heard of a browser plugin that every time you view an amazon page it shows you if the book/dvd/whatever you are looking at is available in your local library system

libraries kick rear end. hoopla, kanopy, overdrive, free lynda subscription - youve already paid for it, might as well use it

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

fritz posted:

kragen 3 hours ago [-]

Mathematicians are perfectly capable of doing all those self-care things, as monks do in every monastery. (By contrast, non-mathematicians are unable to build anything larger than a small hut without help from mathematicians in the form of geometry.)
I don't know of a single mathematician who has ODed on amphetamines, although of course amphetamines have been popular with mathematicians since they were discovered; and I know of only one who voted for Trump (Dan Kleitman), although undoubtedly others exist. The doses of amphetamines conducive to doing mathematics are about two orders of magnitude lower than the lethal doses, so it seems unlikely that someone who takes them to improve concentration rather than for euphoria would OD accidentally, as heroin users frequently do.
Funding is only necessary to the extent that it helps keep the torch-wielding villagers away from the gate. To the extent that it subjects mathematical research to political tests, it is not only unnecessary, but counterproductive.
If my filter bubble includes Bruno, Socrates, Mozi, Gödel, Turing, and Archimedes, I think its radius is adequate.
I think the downvoting of my "tirade" to -2 has shown that non-mathematicians hate and fear mathematicians, think that all those killings of mathematicians I listed were reasonable and justified, and would like to silence any criticism of them.

how can you post about tweaker math nerds and not mention erdos

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

AFashionableHat posted:

Ahh this sounds amazing. Where I live you can only access the academic papers from their network, so I just use sci-hub and my VPN instead

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

Nomnom Cookie posted:

how can you post about tweaker math nerds and not mention erdos

Or Kolmogorov

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

fritz posted:

kragen 3 hours ago [-]

Beep boop

BLORT

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016

fritz posted:

kragen 3 hours ago [-]

:psyduck:

this is why you never let the nerds interact with the customer

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

alexandriao posted:

Or Kolmogorov

ooooh look at me im andrey im gonna define conditional probability in terms of unconditional probability im such a smarty man *snorts a fat line*

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Sapozhnik posted:

Beep boop

BLORT

I'm my thesis is also named BLORT

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

spectramax 3 hours ago [-]

At the risk of sounding "out of touch with reality" and "retro nostalgic", I strongly believe that a lot of clean, sterile work took place in the 1965-1985 era. From UNIX to SR-71, everything mankind did in the technical space was minimal, purposeful, clean, legible, durable, maintainable, modular and many other adjectives that would compound on the idea of creating a truly better product or service. Marketing took a backseat, science and data mattered and advertisement was truthful.
Today's world seems broken, fragile, noisy and unmaintained. May be that humanity needs to unwind, rewind back a couple of decades and try again. If you play the scenario of human evolution multiple times, I am sure a large scale system such as global society would end up in a different state... every time.
Reminds me of the story that Kyoto, Japan didn't get ruined because one of the military commanders in charge of the nuclear bomb drop locations, had a soft spot for Kyoto... and instead chose Nagasaki and Hiroshima. [1]
If we were to replay human progress, I want us to go back to that era and relive the engineering life. Must have been amazing to work in a technical field in the 70's and 80's. Now we have AI and Quantum and all these loving buzzwords, largely perpetuated by people who have no clue - marketing and PR folks.
[1] https://www.theatlantic.com/international/archive/2015/08/hi...

SRQ
Nov 9, 2009

i am pretty sure kyoto got passed because of cloud cover

mystes
May 31, 2006

If only I could go back in time to help develop horrible weapons of mass destruction that were going to be used to kill tens of thousands of civilians. That was truly the pinnacle of engineering.

dads friend steve
Dec 24, 2004

it’s me, the guy who’s never heard of survivorship bias

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

gold from the hn comments:

quote:

madeofpalk 1 hour ago [-]
> language of choice for the working class dev
What an incredibly strange framing.

quote:

FillardMillmore 1 hour ago [-]
So are you implying that you're not filled with the spirit of the proletariat when you program in PHP?

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

Achmed Jones posted:

ooooh look at me im andrey im gonna define conditional probability in terms of unconditional probability im such a smarty man *snorts a fat line*

Look,

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum

alexandriao posted:

gold from the hn comments:

every now and then there is a good post on hn

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DaTroof
Nov 16, 2000

CC LIMERICK CONTEST GRAND CHAMPION
There once was a poster named Troof
Who was getting quite long in the toof

AFashionableHat posted:

:agreed:

my city's library is fantastic. i still spend decent money on books/ebooks, but poo poo i get from the library instead probably saves me a couple hundred dollars a year