Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

pospysyl posted:

I forget, did they have DVD players in Mad Max?

They worshipped the power of cars and fuel so I guess the Fast & Furious movies became their new religion?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

pospysyl posted:

I forget, did they have DVD players in Mad Max?

People really do forget a whole movie where the theme is the descendants of surviving children do 'Tellings' while holding square frames in front of their head as the closest analogue they can come up with to loose memories of television.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

They worshipped the power of cars and fuel so I guess the Fast & Furious movies became their new religion?

A child Furiosa decides to become a driver after watching The Fate of the Furious.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Chairman Capone posted:

A child Furiosa decides to become a driver after watching The Fate of the Furious.

Every day at noon, The Children of Dom wait with bated breath and empty buckets for the Corona waterfall.

Antifa Poltergeist
Jun 3, 2004

"We're not laughing with you, we're laughing at you"

Screw you guys, skurge's last stand at the bridge of gjallebru will be a mythos for 10000 years

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

People really do forget a whole movie where the theme is the descendants of surviving children do 'Tellings' while holding square frames in front of their head as the closest analogue they can come up with to loose memories of television.

The people who don't forget rightfully point out how awful that part was.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Grendels Dad posted:

The people who don't forget rightfully point out how awful that part was.

I didn't think it was terrible when I rewatched it a few years ago. It felt out of place, as if it should have been a separate movie, but it wasn't that bad.

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

*Solemnly chanting in robes with the rest of my cult* Yer a wizard, Harry

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MqQW0xKU0PM

Feldegast42 fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Feb 22, 2020

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NCBA1wii70o

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Chairman Capone posted:

She only betrayed joe because she wanted to be cipher

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
i'm gonna also throw out there that comic books, being paper, are probably gonna survive the apocalypse in some form.

like i don't specifically think Smith is right about the MCU (and I sort of doubt he's actually specifically talking about the movies anyways, all of his work has been with DC so shilling for Disney would be off-brand)

but i think he's generally right about superhero comics likely filling that role, and DC's been in dire enough straits for long enough that Marvel's probably gonna be the winner in that regard

e: also, yeah, this is an idea that comes up all over post-apoc fiction, Beyond Thunderdome, The Postman, Fallout and Riddley Walker all have some sort of allusion to the idea of modern culture becoming myth. it seems like something that's more or less inevitable, and the only question is what specifically will survive and get passed down.

it seems most likely that existing myth will end up getting garbled with modern popular depictions of that myth. people will pass down Thor fighting a robot and Thanos as part of Norse mythology, people passing down Slavic stories will be under the impression that Baba Yaga went on a gun-wielding rampage to avenge her dog, Arthurian myth will either suddenly involve Batman and Superman or suddenly be about a waif-y blonde woman who can shoot laser beams out of Excalibur. it sounds absurd until you consider that, in effect, this was how myths mutated over time in the first place; weird new takes are written or told, and the originals become either outright lost or rare enough that any knowledge of them gets the telephone-game treatment.

WeedlordGoku69 fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Feb 22, 2020

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
On another note, It just occurred to me that in Demolition Man, MurderDeathKill may be a classification in three parts. The crime, the intent, the effect. Like if the guy had survived having his eye removed it may have been "MurderAttemptedTrauma"

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

i'm gonna also throw out there that comic books, being paper, are probably gonna survive the apocalypse in some form.

like i don't specifically think Smith is right about the MCU (and I sort of doubt he's actually specifically talking about the movies anyways, all of his work has been with DC so shilling for Disney would be off-brand)

Uh, what. He specifically mentions Cap wielding Moll... Myoln... Thor's hammer in the twit that started all this.

I rather like though how in your scenario people in Mad Max World will just assume that Thanos vs. Trinity is a part of the Bible, Edda or what have you. The fundamental flaw in Smith's observation that I think people are reacting so strongly to is that people in Hellscape 2090 will somehow still worship the brand instead of, like, a screenshot. And the screenshot could be a part of whatever.

bows1
May 16, 2004

Chill, whale, chill

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

but i think he's generally right about superhero comics likely filling that role, and DC's been in dire enough straits for long enough that Marvel's probably gonna be the winner in that regard

e: also, yeah, this is an idea that comes up all over post-apoc fiction, Beyond Thunderdome, The Postman, Fallout and Riddley Walker all have some sort of allusion to the idea of modern culture becoming myth. it seems like something that's more or less inevitable, and the only question is what specifically will survive and get passed down.

it seems most likely that existing myth will end up getting garbled with modern popular depictions of that myth. people will pass down Thor fighting a robot and Thanos as part of Norse mythology, people passing down Slavic stories will be under the impression that Baba Yaga went on a gun-wielding rampage to avenge her dog, Arthurian myth will either suddenly involve Batman and Superman or suddenly be about a waif-y blonde woman who can shoot laser beams out of Excalibur. it sounds absurd until you consider that, in effect, this was how myths mutated over time in the first place; weird new takes are written or told, and the originals become either outright lost or rare enough that any knowledge of them gets the telephone-game treatment.

Did you read the tweet? It’s about a specific moment in a movie being the new Jesus.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

Chairman Capone posted:

Star Wars (OT) and Lord of the Rings are both self-contained stories based on mythological narratives and structures. MCU is an endless parade of action-figure smashing with no character development, story development, overarching plotline or lesson, and no ending.

Have you read the Old Testament? because you just described it to a T.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

In the future people will look at the fast and furious movies as old testament lore and try to steal a truck full of DVD players

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009

galagazombie posted:

Will Iron Man 3 and The Manchurian be the equivalent of when Jesus hosed up a fig tree for being out of season?

The tweet has strong old man swearing that his life was important energy. I'm picturing someone insisting that Buster Keaton almost getting crushed by a house will start a religion. Or those guys who are obsessed with old goofy animation and swear that "real" cartoons that are funny if they're muted will be back any day now.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
You lost me on that last one

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Classic animation is kind of all the rage lately, with Cuphead and Bendy and the Ink Machine, Disney made a bunch of old-styled Mickey Mouse shorts.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

galagazombie posted:

Good thing the Bible, which Smith specifically brought up as the comparison to the Cult of MCU, also has the New Testament, which not only has a definitive ending, but a big chunk of American politics (and therefore modern world history) can be explained by elites trying their best to make the world fit the specific ending to complete the narrative of existence.

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Classic animation is kind of all the rage lately, with Cuphead and Bendy and the Ink Machine, Disney made a bunch of old-styled Mickey Mouse shorts.

I was thinking more of the John K fanatics and whatever you want to call that style, but fair point.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Besides, the big thing now is that literally everyone working on cartoons right now has always desperately wanted to make anime.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
And everyone working on anime right now desperately wants to be dead.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

And the one anime studio that tried to treat its animators like human beings had their main offices burned down by a psychopath, with many of them trapped in it.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

ruddiger posted:

Erik Larsen introduced a version of Thor in his comic, Savage Dragon, that has a Mjolinir that can only be picked up with a certain glove.

That's not something that Larsen invented. In the original norse mythology Tor had wear iron gloves to wield Mjølner (in fact he had several hammer related paraphernalia).

The Klowner
Apr 20, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
yollner.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

The future is less likely to have people telling each other the events of Infinity war and much more likely that people will be more open to ridiculous ideas like god sending his chosen son to our planet who is both fully human and fully divine, and stands with us as we falter while only ever asking that we endeavor to uphold a single simple commandment to guide our actions.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Xarbala posted:

And the one anime studio that tried to treat its animators like human beings had their main offices burned down by a psychopath, with many of them trapped in it.

:smith:

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Simplex
Jun 29, 2003

I think there's a much better argument to be made that we would see pseudo religions forming around The Room or Troll 2 or something than with the MCU or Star Wars.

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

Simplex posted:

I think there's a much better argument to be made that we would see pseudo religions forming around The Room or Troll 2 or something than with the MCU or Star Wars.

I can definitely see Tommy Wiseau becoming some sort of religious figure/prophet in the post-apocalyptic future.

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

So the Guns Akimbo director Jason Lei Howden has been using the official twitter account to harass people

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
I feel like future people will have superstitions surrounding creepypasta than anything else, with people being terrified of sewer clowns.

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

Iron Crowned posted:

I feel like future people will have superstitions surrounding creepypasta than anything else, with people being terrified of sewer clowns.

I watched the Lifetime movie version of the Slenderman stabbings and they basically turned it into this (except with their fake version of Slenderman.) The kids spent all their time watching videos of creepypasta stories to the point where it absorbed their lives and they built up a fake mythology around it.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

I think future people would probably still understand the concept of fiction tbh

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Iron Crowned posted:

I mean this already exists. They're called 'urban legends'. Every once in a while I think about the fact that the first stories of El Chupacabra are from like, 1996.

The Klowner
Apr 20, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Chuck Buried Treasure posted:

I think future people would probably still understand the concept of fiction tbh

Sure, but the future people's great grandkids might not. It's all in the retelling. (Assuming we're taking about a post apocalypse scenario here.)

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Chuck Buried Treasure posted:

Atlantis and king Arthur was written as fiction and today some people believe they are historical facts.

The Klowner
Apr 20, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Conversely I bet at least a few people alive before modern science existed quietly thought religion was horseshit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

People thought Robinson Crusoe was a true story when it first came out, but they didn't base a whole religion around it.