Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

Railing Kill posted:

In VTES, table politics is much more baked into the game (as is it being multiplayer). The unwritten but universally used rule about deals is to hold up your end of the bargain. You can wheel and deal all you want, and you can even try to be sly about wording ("I agreed to two turns of no thrashing your minions, but we never agreed about your other resources"), but you can't outright break a deal.

We had a houserule that you *had* to keep your word.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

Gynovore posted:

A player went back on his word against me in a game of V:TES a long time ago. I was unhappy and told him as much, but oh well. It wasn't so much hurt feelings as "don't expect a deal ever again". It turned out that the game was nearing the end of the game's lifespan for our group (because frankly it is just not as good as Magic and 3 hour games are hard to justify when you're not in high school / college). We tried to resurrect it some 7-8 years later. It came down to siding between two players, and I made the decision to not help him because he'd gone back on his word so many years ago. People were impressed with my vindictiveness.

I would suggest the same solution here. No need for a house rule. You simply never make deals, and if they try to make one with the other player, kindly inform them of the story to hopefully undermine their future ability to get deals.

Smashing Link
Jul 8, 2003

I'll keep chucking bombs at you til you fall off that ledge!
Grimey Drawer

Railing Kill posted:

Unless you're playing heavy stax or prison control, decks simply can't pack enough counterspells and/or removal to control literally everything that might cause a problem. Instead, you hold up your counters to protect what is going to win you the game, or counter poo poo that will lose you the game. Doing that usually takes a bit of table politics, which shouldn't be too much to ask from a commander player. The format is multiplayer, and I've never understood people who try to bar it entirely. I can understand some folks being more adverse to it than others, but no one should act like it's against some kind of unwritten rule. There's a thousand 1v1 formats in this stupid game for idiots, so folks who get butthurt about table politics can go play Pioneer.

This is correct.

The Klowner
Apr 20, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
What the duck is vtes. No I will not Google it.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

The Clowner posted:

Vampire The Eternal Struggle. In my opinion one of the best multiplayer card games ever. Probably the reason I like EDH so much.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

The Clowner posted:

It was/is another Richard Garfield card game, specifically designed to be 5 player multiplayer, where you essentially attacked the person to your left and were attacked by the person to your right, which has some interesting perturbations, and you essentially used your life to buy resources to play the game, so you were constantly doing trade-offs.

For a long time, it was a very good game. It went on so long with so many printings they kind of ruined some of the intrinsic dynamics that made it a good game.

Railing Kill
Nov 14, 2008

You are the first crack in the sheer face of god. From you it will spread.

Gynovore posted:

That was functionally it for us too. The only time I ever saw a deal broken was at a national-level sanctioned tournament, at Gen Con. The understanding there was that there was thousands of dollars on the line, so do what you gotta do. I was at a table with a couple of the game's heavy hitters, and one of them hosed over the other by dropping his end of a deal. The other player was ok with it, though, as he understood the stakes and entered into the deal knowing that, given the stakes, such a thing could happen. They were both as good about it as can be expected, given the circumstances.

But, yeah, at regular kitchen tables or local tourney games, the universal rule was "don't break a deal." Everyone was fine with that and it was never a problem. There's no reason EDH needs to be any different about politics.

Magnetic North posted:

A player went back on his word against me in a game of V:TES a long time ago. I was unhappy and told him as much, but oh well. It wasn't so much hurt feelings as "don't expect a deal ever again". It turned out that the game was nearing the end of the game's lifespan for our group (because frankly it is just not as good as Magic and 3 hour games are hard to justify when you're not in high school / college). We tried to resurrect it some 7-8 years later. It came down to siding between two players, and I made the decision to not help him because he'd gone back on his word so many years ago. People were impressed with my vindictiveness.

I would suggest the same solution here. No need for a house rule. You simply never make deals, and if they try to make one with the other player, kindly inform them of the story to hopefully undermine their future ability to get deals.

Haha holy poo poo this is fantastic. :sickos:

I'm not sure how you'd have table politics at all without anyone being able to make deals. Unless you mean just the person who breaks a deal can no longer make them because everyone else will just agree not to deal with them.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

Railing Kill posted:

Haha holy poo poo this is fantastic. :sickos:

I'm not sure how you'd have table politics at all without anyone being able to make deals. Unless you mean just the person who breaks a deal can no longer make them because everyone else will just agree not to deal with them.

Yes, sorry, that is what I meant. You shut out that player from any explicit deals. Like, there is always room for the 'time of need' situation where everyone needs to alpha-strike someone where you don't need to explicitly make a deal.

TheKingslayer posted:

In my opinion one of the best multiplayer card games ever.

While we're talking old games, Shadowfist is/was/is? better, though that game really only shines at 3. Sadly I didn't discover it until after V:TES.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

pseudanonymous posted:

It was/is another Richard Garfield card game, specifically designed to be 5 player multiplayer, where you essentially attacked the person to your left and were attacked by the person to your right, which has some interesting perturbations, and you essentially used your life to buy resources to play the game, so you were constantly doing trade-offs.

For a long time, it was a very good game. It went on so long with so many printings they kind of ruined some of the intrinsic dynamics that made it a good game.

VteS had probably the best multiplayer structure of any CCG. I'm gonna catch flak for this, but in many ways it was better than Legend of the Five Rings, which was the granddaddy of multiplayer at my LGS for quite some time. The only other CCG that always had good multi was Illuminati, and that's because it tended to attract the beer-and-pretzels crowd and repel the tryhards.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

Gynovore posted:

VteS had probably the best multiplayer structure of any CCG. I'm gonna catch flak for this, but in many ways it was better than Legend of the Five Rings, which was the granddaddy of multiplayer at my LGS for quite some time. The only other CCG that always had good multi was Illuminati, and that's because it tended to attract the beer-and-pretzels crowd and repel the tryhards.

It was definitely better than lot5r the whole declare attack and then have the player to your left go as ally so they would untap immediately was stupid. And games where you “win” are worse multiplayer in general rather than ones where you kill people off.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

pseudanonymous posted:

It was definitely better than lot5r the whole declare attack and then have the player to your left go as ally so they would untap immediately was stupid. And games where you “win” are worse multiplayer in general rather than ones where you kill people off.

Yeah that was a thing, but what annoyed me most was the kingmaking. A guy who couldn't win would go "eh gently caress it" and throw all his forces at the guy to his left in a futile battle, thus giving him 30+ honor, game over with no interaction possible. L5R was a very good game overall, though.

EDIT: although I do disagree with the killing off bit. It's really no fun to be knocked out of a game after half an hour and have the game run for another 2.5.

Sorry for derailing. I would start a thread but I think we're the only goons interested in 20+ year old nerd cardboard.

Gynovore fucked around with this message at 23:21 on Feb 22, 2020

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

Gynovore posted:

Yeah that was a thing, but what annoyed me most was the kingmaking. A guy who couldn't win would go "eh gently caress it" and throw all his forces at the guy to his left in a futile battle, thus giving him 30+ honor, game over with no interaction possible. L5R was a very good game overall, though.

EDIT: although I do disagree with the killing off bit. It's really no fun to be knocked out of a game after half an hour and have the game run for another 2.5.

Sorry for derailing. I would start a thread but I think we're the only goons interested in 20+ year old nerd cardboard.

Good and fun are not necessarily the same thing. To me, a good game is one where your choices have a meaningful impact on the outcomes that determine the game. Cards Against Humanity can be "fun" but it's not a "good" game.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
I loved me some L5R (obviously), but multiplayer L5R was God awful and we gave up on that rapidly.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

Toshimo posted:

I loved me some L5R (obviously), but multiplayer L5R was God awful and we gave up on that rapidly.

We must have pretty different tastes (or very different playgroups). Even with its flaws, back in '98 I would much rather sit down to 6-man L5R than 6-man Magic.

One on one L5R was pretty good too, although from what I heard, at the tournament level, ultra-fast Lion aggro was the only way to go.

Gynovore fucked around with this message at 07:44 on Feb 23, 2020

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Magnetic North posted:

While we're talking old games, Shadowfist is/was/is? better, though that game really only shines at 3. Sadly I didn't discover it until after V:TES.

YES! I've never seen anyone else bring up Shadowfist. That game was badass.

As far as VTES I liked all the different ways to interact with other players and cheeky ways to sneak points out of people in the tournament format. It was totally valid to deflect an attack to your own prey and reap the rewards from it and that was fun.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

Gynovore posted:

We must have pretty different tastes (or very different playgroups). Even with its flaws, back in '98 I would much rather sit down to 6-man L5R than 6-man Magic.

One on one L5R was pretty good too, although from what I heard, at the tournament level, ultra-fast Lion aggro was the only way to go.

It depended on the block but generally, lion was like #1 or 2 military deck and then #2 or 3 honor runner deck, and at the same time could have wacky stuff like the Kolat thing. So you never quite knew what a lion deck was going to be.

I was a "scorpion main" which meant being far better at the game than almost anyone else at a given lgs or tourney but struggling to go 3-1 because of how bad the clan almost always was. I heard other scorpion players argue we should just cheat, they were intentionally handicapping us to force us to rp wins by cheating. And I certainly saw some of that.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

TheKingslayer posted:

YES! I've never seen anyone else bring up Shadowfist. That game was badass.

As far as VTES I liked all the different ways to interact with other players and cheeky ways to sneak points out of people in the tournament format. It was totally valid to deflect an attack to your own prey and reap the rewards from it and that was fun.

Sorry for the double but... just imagine they put something like the predator prey dynamic in to EDH. Suddenly if you win your game via labman, you get 1 vp, and your prey gets 1 vp, etc.. so suddenly "winning" like that isn't good anymore. Would solve some of the problems. Though it'd be important to go to a 5 player pod instead of 4 player to fix the aggro dynamics.

Infinite Karma
Oct 23, 2004
Good as dead

pseudanonymous posted:

Sorry for the double but... just imagine they put something like the predator prey dynamic in to EDH. Suddenly if you win your game via labman, you get 1 vp, and your prey gets 1 vp, etc.. so suddenly "winning" like that isn't good anymore. Would solve some of the problems. Though it'd be important to go to a 5 player pod instead of 4 player to fix the aggro dynamics.
If a game includes a card that says "you win the game", it seems like a pretty lovely house rule for it to be "you lose/tie the game" instead. If you want Labman victories to stop existing, just propose banning them instead of making a house rule to make them useless. If you have to farm victory points in a certain way, it would just make certain decks and combos the only ones left. You'd still win the game, just by turning a different combination of cards sideways.

pseudanonymous posted:

It depended on the block but generally, lion was like #1 or 2 military deck and then #2 or 3 honor runner deck, and at the same time could have wacky stuff like the Kolat thing. So you never quite knew what a lion deck was going to be.

I was a "scorpion main" which meant being far better at the game than almost anyone else at a given lgs or tourney but struggling to go 3-1 because of how bad the clan almost always was. I heard other scorpion players argue we should just cheat, they were intentionally handicapping us to force us to rp wins by cheating. And I certainly saw some of that.
Also LOL at this "being far better at the game" and then complaining about losing anyway. Scorpion was a niche deck, that's all. Dishonor and control strategies were always hard to execute in the ruleset. Phoenix was so good they errata'd their stronghold twice to be worse. Crane was almost unstoppably fast honor runs, along with Phoenix. Among later sets, Toturi's Army and Fox Clan were both broken military decks. As the game aged, they had different constructed formats, and different stuff was strong at different points in the metagame.

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

my dumb idea is that "you win the game" in multiplayer should just remove you from the game. if it's a tournament, you came in first and get points accordingly, now the rest of em can work out who's in second

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

pseudanonymous posted:

Uhhhhh what

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken

LordSaturn posted:

my dumb idea is that "you win the game" in multiplayer should just remove you from the game. if it's a tournament, you came in first and get points accordingly, now the rest of em can work out who's in second

I've heard this from a few places that are very anti-combo. To me, it seems better that a definitive end is reached so that nobody has to sit out from the game--everyone just gets to shuffle up and start the next game. Eliminating people one at a time leads to someone sitting around waiting for the game to end or they get bored and wander off (depending on the setting and who you're playing with).

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

Aranan posted:

I've heard this from a few places that are very anti-combo. To me, it seems better that a definitive end is reached so that nobody has to sit out from the game--everyone just gets to shuffle up and start the next game. Eliminating people one at a time leads to someone sitting around waiting for the game to end or they get bored and wander off (depending on the setting and who you're playing with).

it may surprise you to learn that making the combo guy sit around on his hands is actually my intention

or at least make him play a combo that makes other players lose

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
So there was a huge 60 man cEDH tournament in Phoenixville, PA on the 1 of February. There were 60 entrants.

DDMGaming wrote up a pretty impressive coverage page for the event, including Top 30 Decklists, and interviews with the Top 4:

https://www.ddmgaming.com/ddm-phoenixville

One of the Top 4 was HELIOD and they posted a full trip report.

Some cool stuff going on in EDH gang.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

don't pretend you've never sacrificed a live animal in the bathroom at a tournament to gain an advantage as mono-black

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken

LordSaturn posted:

it may surprise you to learn that making the combo guy sit around on his hands is actually my intention

or at least make him play a combo that makes other players lose

I also enjoy unironically punishing people that I sit down to play games with.

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

Aranan posted:

I also enjoy unironically punishing people that I sit down to play games with.

I know, that's why you play combo

EDIT: vvv in my experience monoblack vampire tribal has a pretty low ceiling, but Drana combos well with being your commander and a heaping pile of black mana, and you're the one person most likely to get value out of Vampire Nocturnus

LordSaturn fucked around with this message at 05:37 on Feb 24, 2020

Keret
Aug 26, 2012

Soiled Meat
Hey y'all, I haven't played this game in like 5 or 6 years, but some friends invited me to play some casual Commander games with them so I thought I'd put a deck together. I sold pretty much all of my cards but still have a Necropolis Regent lying around because I like the art, so I was thinking of doing a mono-black vampires beatdown kind of deal to make use of my Purple Dress Death Lady.

Anyone have suggestions for inexpensive but fun mono-black vampires? It doesn't need to be super competitive or anything.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

LordSaturn posted:

I know, that's why you play combo

If you’re gonna be salty about people playing combo then why not just have a no combo rule in your games then you can have fun not playing against combo and combo players can have fun not playing against you

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Keret posted:

Hey y'all, I haven't played this game in like 5 or 6 years, but some friends invited me to play some casual Commander games with them so I thought I'd put a deck together. I sold pretty much all of my cards but still have a Necropolis Regent lying around because I like the art, so I was thinking of doing a mono-black vampires beatdown kind of deal to make use of my Purple Dress Death Lady.

Anyone have suggestions for inexpensive but fun mono-black vampires? It doesn't need to be super competitive or anything.

It's pretty late, but here's a framework: https://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/purple-dress-lady/?cb=1582526047

Needs about 3 less dorks and 3 more pieces of removal.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Better casual Nayasour tribal Commander: Gishath or Dr. Eggman?

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
https://twitter.com/channelfireball/status/1232002512896565248?s=21

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
i really want to get a playmat with mark tedin's new sol ring art

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
If they're going to print Sol Ring in every set they should do a bunch of variant artworks like they do for Terramorphic Expanse and Evolving Wilds

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
"I only have 1 game-ending combo. I'll mark myself down as a 5."

5 turns later...

"Consultation naming Thassa's Oracle."

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Toshimo posted:

"I only have 1 game-ending combo. I'll mark myself down as a 5."

5 turns later...

"Consultation naming Thassa's Oracle."

I mean. If they're not running any tutors or major card selection (outside Consultation). :shrug:

I'm guessing they did, though. :v:

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken
Looks like some friends and I are going to make the trip down to Magicfest in Palm beach in April, and we'll be buying the Command Zone passes. If any of you folks will be there and want to game, let me know. :)

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Yeah I’m seriously debating going to the one in Charlotte, but spending $100 to drive to Charlotte for 2 days just to play EDH with strangers feels like perhaps bad value.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Bust Rodd posted:

Yeah I’m seriously debating going to the one in Charlotte, but spending $100 to drive to Charlotte for 2 days just to play EDH with strangers feels like perhaps bad value.

the promo sol ring you get is worth like $80

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken
I'm probably just going to sell it to a vendor on site day one to make up for a chunk of the cost. I've also never been to a GP/Magicfest/whatever their names are and thought it'd be nice to try it out at some point. In general, I'd prefer to just game with friends but who knows.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Klowner
Apr 20, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Why da fuk do they not do magic fests in New York. What is this