Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

veni veni veni posted:

Is channel zero worth watching and if so what's the best season? it's an anthology show right?

I've seen the first three seasons and they're all pretty drat well done, really drat good series and it's a god drat shame it's done with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

meat glitter
Nov 12, 2019

sigher posted:

I've seen the first three seasons and they're all pretty drat well done, really drat good series and it's a god drat shame it's done with.

yea :( part of the fun was trying to see what creepypasta they would adapt next. if we ever got more seasons which would yall have liked to see tackled? i can never remember the name of it but it's like 3 people driving around being hunted/stalked by things and they either scream/howl...at one point they end up in an abandoned town/lodge. GOD what was it called. anyway i remember thinking it would have made a good movie so probably would have made a good season of channel zero.

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

veni veni veni posted:

Is channel zero worth watching and if so what's the best season? it's an anthology show right?

I thought it was OK, but I only saw the first two seasons (well, part of the second season). Ignore that they're supposed to be based on anything and you'll be better off-I think there actually almost seems to be a fight between the story that they are telling and them cramming in references to the source stories. It would've been better IMO had they just went fully in either direction.

S01 had the feel of a poor-man's Stephen King story. I thought it had some really cool images that got overused so they lose their impact near the end. I liked it better than S02 though.

S02 I kinda felt was a bit of a mess-there's actually some good parts but a lot of the emotional weight didn't hit with me because a) I was still kinda upset it basically disregarded the source material and b) the acting was really meh to me and I thought the characters themselves weren't that compelling. Others have thought much better of it though so it's hard to tell how it will hit you. One thing I think works against it a bit is I don't think you'll really get a feel for what it's doing until maybe the 3rd or so episode, which means you've already committed a bit of time.

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

meat glitter posted:

yea :( part of the fun was trying to see what creepypasta they would adapt next. if we ever got more seasons which would yall have liked to see tackled? i can never remember the name of it but it's like 3 people driving around being hunted/stalked by things and they either scream/howl...at one point they end up in an abandoned town/lodge. GOD what was it called. anyway i remember thinking it would have made a good movie so probably would have made a good season of channel zero.

I only saw the first two seasons but I'm still waiting for them to adapt one creepypasta story. S1 they mostly hit the points of the story, but being that it took all of 20 minutes combined, I don't blame them for fleshing things out with basically a totally unrelated story. S2 I was seriously disappointed with in that they basically abandoned any similarity to the story ASAP. It kinda reminded me of those African movie posters where the artists painted them based solely on the name and whatever they knew from word of mouth without actually having seen the movie. I just don't think either of those seasons had the feel of what I think makes the (decent/good) creepypasta stories interesting. Although I tend to be a bit harder on series than on movies.

That said, although they're not based on them, Darknet has a lot more of the creepypasta "feel" imo. That's a show I wish they would've made more of.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Holy poo poo

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
Creepshow is really good and the dollhouse story is one of the best things I have ever seen in all of horror fiction

God bless

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!

married but discreet posted:

Hm, what's the thread opinion on The Blackcoat's Daughter? I really thought the initial setup would lead to something interesting but it's painfully average all around, the most by the A24 numbers I've seen in a while.

One of my favorites of the decade

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

Origami Dali posted:

One of my favorites of the decade

Holy poo poo why do I barely even know anything about this movie

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord
Saw The Lodge today and loved it. Creepy as poo poo. Similar in tone to Hereditary (and there are similarities in some of the themes and imagery too, although the story is very different). The actress who played Grace reminded me of Elisabeth Moss.

married but discreet posted:

Hm, what's the thread opinion on The Blackcoat's Daughter? I really thought the initial setup would lead to something interesting but it's painfully average all around, the most by the A24 numbers I've seen in a while.

It rules. I love the cold dreary atmosphere, the score, and I think Kiernan Shipka is great in it. I’d call it my third favorite A24 horror film, behind Hereditary and The Witch.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Hot take, there needs to be more Junji Ito adaptations

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Hot take:
Junji Ito stories are very well suited to their medium which makes adaptation a bit tricky without losing something along the way.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

FreudianSlippers posted:

Hot take:
Junji Ito stories are very well suited to their medium which makes adaptation a bit tricky without losing something along the way.

You're not strictly wrong but a lot of his short stories would make loving amazing segments in an anthology movie if they were done well

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

So that explains why he did not answer. He had no mouth to answer with. There is nothing left of him but his ears.

FreudianSlippers posted:

Hot take:

Agreed. I love Junji Ito but he's as hard (or harder) to adapt than Lovecraft. The bulk of that work needs to be left alone.

But I wouldn't mind seeing him collaborate with a director like Guillermo del Toro.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

Oh poo poo now I have to see this

Stink Billyums
Jul 7, 2006

MAGNUM
Reminder that there's a 4 episode Uzumaki anime airing on Adult Swim this year.

LemonLimeSoda
Jan 23, 2020

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Yes, probably season 3 but they're all very different so it's a matter of what you're looking for.

3 is a very unsubtle morality tale.

Hard disagree, I felt season 3 was weakest (the butcher one?) and recommend season 4, the dream door, the most

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Grant DaNasty posted:

I saw The Lodge tonight. I went into it blind and holy poo poo. To me it was like Hereditary in that it's really well made and nightmarish, and I never need to see it again.

Hard second on this review. It was exhausting but extremely good. I had a couple ideas of where it was going based on Goodnight Mommy but it kept me guessing for the whole thing. Easily one of the best of this year, I think.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
The Lodge: The moment my heart soared and then was shot out of the sky almost immediately, was on hearing the kids drive off in the car, and then 10 seconds later hearing the sound of stuck tires.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

The_Doctor posted:

The Lodge: The moment my heart soared and then was shot out of the sky almost immediately, was on hearing the kids drive off in the car, and then 10 seconds later hearing the sound of stuck tires.

Goddamit yes. There's about a hundred moments like this where the editing just shines.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
Never even heard of The Lodge. This is a theatrical release?

Gary the Llama
Mar 16, 2007
SHIGERU MIYAMOTO IS MY ILLEGITIMATE FATHER!!!
The Lodge was so unpleasant and I mean that in the best way possible. Not a perfect film but the best of the year so far. I predict it will be incredibly divisive with audiences as the audience groaned and grumbled at the end while I loved it, much like It Comes at Night. Also, a level of tension I haven’t felt watching a movie in years.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

The_Doctor posted:

Your heart should soar because they're going to get their brains blown out for being massive shitbirds. gently caress those stupid rear end kids.

Grant DaNasty
Jul 17, 2006

Gary the Llama posted:

The Lodge was so unpleasant and I mean that in the best way possible.

Funny enough, I was on a first date when I watched it this weekend. We wanted to go see a scary movie so I picked The Lodge because I saw it had a good RT score. After the first big shock, I was like "oh drat, I hosed up" because this movie was emotionally heavy. Luckily she liked the movie too, but it definitely killed the fun mood. :doh:

Debbie Does Dagon
Jul 8, 2005

Grant DaNasty posted:

Funny enough, I was on a first date when I watched it this weekend. We wanted to go see a scary movie so I picked The Lodge because I saw it had a good RT score. After the first big shock, I was like "oh drat, I hosed up" because this movie was emotionally heavy. Luckily she liked the movie too, but it definitely killed the fun mood. :doh:

I took my partner to see Pan's Labyrinth on our first date, and I had the same "oh poo poo" moment when the dad character began hitting thay guy in the face with a hammer. We're still together 14 years later though, so maybe it's a good omen for you :D

thrashingteeth
Dec 22, 2019

depressive hedonia
always tired
taco tuesday

Stink Billyums posted:

Reminder that there's a 4 episode Uzumaki anime airing on Adult Swim this year.

I hope it's not like the Junji Ito Collection, those totally fell apart for me. Like the "animated" manga dubs on youtube are more effective.

I think you'd have to reimagine them so much to make them effective in an animated form, the static-ness of the manga really works with the scares of his stories. Uzumaki might be the hardest one to adapt because it goes batshit at the end haha.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

zentigeist posted:

I hope it's not like the Junji Ito Collection, those totally fell apart for me. Like the "animated" manga dubs on youtube are more effective.

I think you'd have to reimagine them so much to make them effective in an animated form, the static-ness of the manga really works with the scares of his stories. Uzumaki might be the hardest one to adapt because it goes batshit at the end haha.

Maybe look it up before talking.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VDEQyK5ZH-E

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

sigher posted:

Your heart should soar because they're going to get their brains blown out for being massive shitbirds. gently caress those stupid rear end kids.

That’s what’s so weird and great about this movie. The ”bad guy” is a mentally ill cult survivor whose medication is taken away from her. I legitimately felt terrible for her once I realized what was happening.

BUT I also sympathized with the kids. My parents split under similar circumstances and my mom was depressed and suicidal. She only hung on because of us kids. I loving hated the woman my dad cheated on my mom with. I wanted her dead because my 7 year old brain blamed her for ruining my family.

Basically I felt bad for every single person in the movie except for the dad.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

Debbie Does Dagon posted:

I took my partner to see Pan's Labyrinth on our first date, and I had the same "oh poo poo" moment when the dad character began hitting thay guy in the face with a hammer. We're still together 14 years later though, so maybe it's a good omen for you :D

It was a bottle to the face! I only remember that because it's stuck with me so hard all these years.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

Grant DaNasty posted:

Debbie Does Dagon posted:

My first date film with my fiance was Devil's Rejects. At the time, he really hadn't watched much if any horror films and thought we were going to see some sort of women's film like The Notebook. Fast forward to now and Devil's Rejects is one of his favorite films, he's able to quote a fair amount of horror films, and can recognize Argento films from a still.

thrashingteeth
Dec 22, 2019

depressive hedonia
always tired
taco tuesday

Fair play.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

It's really the best/only way to do it, minimally animated, let Ito's original artwork do all the heavy lifting and just add interstitial frames. It looks more animated than something like Belladonna of Sadness but it still lets the illustrations shine through. The music and sound design seem good as well, I guess it all comes down to how everything meshes together along with the voice acting and overall direction.

I haven't even read Uzumaki, I just started reading Ito's short story collections, but I'm so looking forward to this.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Ehud posted:

That’s what’s so weird and great about this movie. The ”bad guy” is a mentally ill cult survivor whose medication is taken away from her. I legitimately felt terrible for her once I realized what was happening.

BUT I also sympathized with the kids. My parents split under similar circumstances and my mom was depressed and suicidal. She only hung on because of us kids. I loving hated the woman my dad cheated on my mom with. I wanted her dead because my 7 year old brain blamed her for ruining my family.

The dad is also to blame because he asked the kids if they were ok being left alone with her for a couple of days and they both emphatically told him no. They Did Not Want That. He failed to listen to his children, and ignored their wants because of his own selfish desires.

On top of that, he was super unethical in his relationship with Grace anyway. She was one of the subjects of his book about the cult, and to get involved in a non-professional relationship with someone you’re writing about is morally dark grey.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

The_Doctor posted:

The dad is also to blame because he asked the kids if they were ok being left alone with her for a couple of days and they both emphatically told him no. They Did Not Want That. He failed to listen to his children, and ignored their wants because of his own selfish desires.

On top of that, he was super unethical in his relationship with Grace anyway. She was one of the subjects of his book about the cult, and to get involved in a non-professional relationship with someone you’re writing about is morally dark grey.

The only blameless character in the movie is the dog :(

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Ehud posted:

I can't imagine watching this movie when you connect so much with that experience, goddamn. I kinda figured something was up with the kids after seeing Goodnight Mommy but wasn't sure what kind of angle it was going to take. Like that movie it plays masterfully with misdirection.

Ehud posted:

The only blameless character in the movie is the dog :(

:( :( :(

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
All the love is really making it hard for me to decide whether to see The Lodge or Portrait of A Lady On Fire today. What a waste of a great title on a non horror movie of course.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

There is an incredible horror game out now. It is currently in early access but you can download a demo on their website and see if you like it

https://panstasz.itch.io/world-of-horror

World of Horror is a roguelike horror rpg where you play an investigator looking into occult and hosed up mysteries.

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

So that explains why he did not answer. He had no mouth to answer with. There is nothing left of him but his ears.

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

There is an incredible horror game out now. It is currently in early access but you can download a demo on their website and see if you like it

https://panstasz.itch.io/world-of-horror

World of Horror is a roguelike horror rpg where you play an investigator looking into occult and hosed up mysteries.

Thanks for posting this. Brewing a fresh pot of coffee now so I have a warm beverage to sip while playing the demo.

Update: Okay, that was cool. Will definitely be looking for the final version when it leaves early access.

Sarchasm fucked around with this message at 18:06 on Feb 23, 2020

Debbie Does Dagon
Jul 8, 2005

COOL CORN posted:

It was a bottle to the face! I only remember that because it's stuck with me so hard all these years.

!!! I really wish my brain wouldn't trick me with these bootleg alternative cut memories

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > Cinema Discusso > Horror Thread: Macabre Memoir of Morbid Mermaids

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

Blackcoat's Daughter is fairly dull, but the trio of actresses are all very good and it's worth seeing for that reason alone.