Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Kangaroos hate Hasselblads

drunkill posted:

Bulldogs pride guernsey is wild.

It doesn't even feature one of their main colours, white.

https://twitter.com/7AFL/status/1229993943762255872

Don't late night phone post tired kids

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Let's get a little crazy. Let's have some fun.
In any family of Collingwood supporters, there will always be the one rebel who follows St Kilda.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
Carl v Coll praccy is on now.

Fourth quarter just ended, two more quarters to come... sixths?

CARL 14.9.93

COLL 9.3.57

Everyone available to play on the list is getting a run, so lots of rotations with about 10 players on the bench. Even the 4 players training with Carlton for the final list spot are getting gametime.

Edit: It turned into an 8 quarter match, with the last 4 to be 10 min quarters. They then abandoned that idea and didn't play the final 10 minutes, I think collingwood gave up and wanted to go home.

Final scores after 7 quarters (x4 20min, x3 10 min)

CARL 16.10.106

COLL 11.8.74

drunkill fucked around with this message at 08:54 on Feb 20, 2020

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
filthy

https://twitter.com/AFL/status/1230778183168843776

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS
The bombers touched up Melbourne's VFL side in an unofficial practice match today, and Ambrose did his PCL or something.

snaeksikn
Feb 28, 2010

:qq::qq::qq::qq::qq::qq::qq:

Can't say the Bulldogs don't accurately represent Footscray

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
1900- first win in the VFL happens against Melbourne by under a goal

2020- first win in the AFLW happens against Melbourne by under a goal

At least it didn't take the Saints 3 years to win one... (technically it took 4 :v)

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.
Lol lose by one goal after kicking 1.8 and cop another ACL

AFLW more like AWFL

Solemn Sloth fucked around with this message at 11:27 on Feb 21, 2020

thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

Let me start off with a basket of chips. Then move on to the pollo asado taco.
Was at Nandos this evening, sitting eating my meal ... I hear from the table next to me "oi look, its Anthony McDonald-Tipungwuti" one guy says to his mate. I look up and look around and see a guy standing ordering his food ... about 6'3, 6'4 ... skinny as a rake, African dude with braided hair and wearing a red and black hoodie (not Essendon). I'm actually impressed they didn't go up and ask him for a photo.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

thepokey posted:

Was at Nandos this evening, sitting eating my meal ... I hear from the table next to me "oi look, its Anthony McDonald-Tipungwuti" one guy says to his mate. I look up and look around and see a guy standing ordering his food ... about 6'3, 6'4 ... skinny as a rake, African dude with braided hair and wearing a red and black hoodie (not Essendon). I'm actually impressed they didn't go up and ask him for a photo.

Wow didnt know Basil Zempilas went to Nandos

monolithburger
Sep 7, 2011

Solemn Sloth posted:

Wow didnt know Basil Zempilas went to Nandos

Yeah, he shoos off all the homeless folks sleeping outside William St. Nandos every morning because "...they're a blight on the city, and the single biggest impediment to progress and rejuvenation."*

*this is an actual quote from Basil.

edit: go saints!

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

At least we don't hear much from Basil in the east these days because of his commitment to the local racist breakfast show.

snaeksikn
Feb 28, 2010

I think he's planning on running for Mayor

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

The Deadly Hume posted:

At least we don't hear much from Basil in the east these days because of his commitment to the local racist breakfast show.

Just be glad the eastern side of the country wasn’t subjected to Basil’s own footy variety show in the 90/00’s. Think the footy show but with Western Australian “personalities”, on a Sunday afternoon.

https://youtu.be/10JANEbillo

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

I don't think it's nice, you laughing.
Basil "PM deserves a holiday" Zempalis is a colossal fuckwit.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
Great game by the Dogs and Blues this arvo. Fantastic weather for it too.

Both teams had a quarter with no score made, but Carlton was able to charge home in the 4th against the strong wing and kick a few goals.

Georgia Gee is the goat, with a great performance kicking 3 goals, coulda kicked 4 or 5 too.

And in the other match, the first womens Q-clash, they drew!

Sing the song!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WJtaCryzL20

cmndstab
May 20, 2006

Huge Internet Celebrity!
Freo vs Collingwood was a pretty good game too.

I caught the first half of the Crows vs Melbourne AFLM trial match, which was pretty scrappy. Didn't get to see much of the second half but it looks like Adelaide got blown away a bit.

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

The Giants seem good. Privitelli is having herself a decent game.

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

LOL, West Coast had a free kick and one of their players kept going and dribbled it towards goal. GWS defender ignored it because the whistle had been so long ago, refs called advantage even though the GWS defender watched it go past her in slow motion because of the whistle.

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Oof, WC player got kicked in the throat.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Chairchucker posted:

Oof, WC player got kicked in the throat.

Why is Toby Greene playing?

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Richmond seem real bad

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I LOVE SEEING DEAD BABIES ON 𝕏, THE EVERYTHING APP. IT'S WORTH IT FOR THE FOLLOWING TAB.

quote:

The Tigers ran out to ABBA's "Gimme! Gimme! Gimme!" for the start of the second half, and the vocal Richmond contingent could be forgiven for rewriting the next line to "a goal after half-time"

snaeksikn
Feb 28, 2010

Surely North just racked up the highest score record today

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Media acting like that goal line decision cost the cats the game, when it was just the difference between the Crows winning by 1 goal or 2

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib

snaeksikn posted:

Surely North just racked up the highest score record today

Nah. Bulldogs 2 years ago today, scored 12.14 (86)

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib

NTRabbit posted:

Media acting like that goal line decision cost the cats the game, when it was just the difference between the Crows winning by 1 goal or 2

Not even the worst decision of the match.

https://twitter.com/Browndogg_30x/status/1231485406320836608?s=19

realbez
Mar 23, 2005

Fun Shoe

What the gently caress??

snaeksikn
Feb 28, 2010

Watching the Australian Dream and sure, Andrew Bolt and Eddie McGuire come across like the idiots they are but eeeshh, Bucks is usually pretty on point with his read on stuff but he's consistently got the wrong spin during this

cmndstab
May 20, 2006

Huge Internet Celebrity!
The umpiring in that Geelong vs Crows AFLW match today was a deadset disgrace. When is the AFL going to wake up and start paying umpires a decent loving wage and then holding them to a reasonable standard?

Those two bizarre decisions aside, the match was littered with ridiculous HTB calls with absolutely no prior opportunity, or my other favourite, the one where someone tackles a player, causing the ball to get knocked out, and so the tackler is immediately pinged for holding. There were also two absolutely terrible high contact free kicks right in front of goal.

thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

Let me start off with a basket of chips. Then move on to the pollo asado taco.
Not really sure why (well, I mean I know why, but I don’t know why now) but walking down the street adjacent to my house and there is a giant cut out face of Toby Greene plastered onto a light post with tears drawn streaming down its face and its beautiful

Windmill Hut
Jul 21, 2008

The Melbourne pre-season documentary, 'To Hell and Back', has been short and not all that insightful until last night, especially the training component in the second half of the ep.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M5dz78U9IEU

It was exhausting just watching them. The hill sprints in Episode 2 were pretty gnarly as well.

snaeksikn
Feb 28, 2010

My hot take on State of Origin jerseys is that the All Stars tops should all share the same colour scheme but have the origin state design of the individual player.

eg WA players would have the black swan sash, SA players have the chevrons, Tasmanians have the map of Tassie, but all of them in white and gold.

Might actually get interstate supporters interested in the non-Vic jumpers that way.

gabensraum
Sep 16, 2003

LOAD "NICE!",8,1

snaeksikn posted:

My hot take on State of Origin jerseys is that the All Stars tops should all share the same colour scheme but have the origin state design of the individual player.

eg WA players would have the black swan sash, SA players have the chevrons, Tasmanians have the map of Tassie, but all of them in white and gold.

Might actually get interstate supporters interested in the non-Vic jumpers that way.

I like it!

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Just do shirts v skins

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

They had an important person from Champion Data on SEN this morning, interesting to hear them defend their garbage analytics.

They have the Tigers at the top and Geelong near the bottom of their defensive rankings, and were asked to explain it. The reasoning is that they rank the defence in an individual basis, and don't take into account a team defence style of play, so the Tigers get ranked high as they run it out of defence and don't kick backwards, while the Cats get "penalised" as they are more structured out of their backline being happy to kick backwards/sideways if needed. The CD guy basically just said, the Cats backline is bad according to their algorithm, and wouldn't admit that maybe the algorithm is a bit poo poo instead.

I somehow have less confidence in CD stats now than I did before.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
The AFL now owns 49% of CD. Of course you should be wary.

They are trying to expand into american sports leagues too. They won't do much in terms of afl except raise the prices for access to stats, or have telstra onsell them via the afl app.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Give us the loving data you fucks :argh:

ssmagus
Apr 2, 2010
Assmagus, LPer ass-traordinaire
I work as a basketball statistician, and I've heard the horrors of being a AFL statistician. It's not a job that people want to do. If being locked in a room with working hours from 3 hours before the game to 5 hours after for poo poo pay and a really poo poo stats program (as they tell me). A far larger problem with being a stats professional is laws make these high professional stats jobs count as volunteer work, even if it's basically a full time/casual (depending if they want you to do stats for the non top level games). I do state/wnbl and u20s down, And I'll tell you, doing u20s and under pay far more because laws treat that as paid volunteering.

I can't really tell you what goes in those "stat analysts" heads, But I can tell you they get paid a gently caress ton more for saying random bullshit that's just mainly pleasing to what the media wants to hear.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

*Mutters darkly about the unholy alliance between the AFL, CD and :airquote:betting partners:airquote:*