Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
What happened to him? It looked all innocuous. Did someone stick the boot in?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

So I get the France 2 coverage for the game and I don't ever remember other coverage being so homerish. "Allez les bleus!" was getting yelled at the end of the first half, and oui oui oui at the end of the match.

Good match though.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
A gentle fracas at the final whistle.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

goatface posted:

What happened to him? It looked all innocuous. Did someone stick the boot in?

I think got flopped on during the Biggar try.

Still France don't release the tackler and get the pen, good win by them.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

IT CAN'T BE BARGAINED WITH.
IT CAN'T BE REASONED WITH.
IT DOESN'T FEEL PITY, OR REMORSE, OR FEAR.
AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry
That was one crazy game.

I think there was a couple of moments there where ref based decisions harmed Wales, but if you have two scrums 5m out and you don't score tries, plus the other times we just picked up and ran into a blue wall, then you didn't deserve to win anyway.

I kind of want to see a French Grand Slam now.

I'm also convinced Shaun Edwards is literally a wizard and it's magic that made the Welsh defence so good. So many times I saw the French just snuff out drives as if it was nothing, and that's what I'm used to seeing Wales do.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I'm wondering if they both just timed their exits perfectly. The Welsh regions are looking highly questionable this year, and while this test side was very experienced it's also quite old. It might be an end of a generation thing.

stavros880
May 2, 2005
I like monkeys

Kitchner posted:

That was one crazy game.

I think there was a couple of moments there where ref based decisions harmed Wales, but if you have two scrums 5m out and you don't score tries, plus the other times we just picked up and ran into a blue wall, then you didn't deserve to win anyway.

This. I get more frustrated about these games than when we just get battered. This game was there to be won, we just needed to take the points on offer and not give away dumb interceptions. If they just did that, even ignoring any moaning about the ref, we would have won the game fairly comfortably (but maybe not deservedly).

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry

goatface posted:

I'm wondering if they both just timed their exits perfectly. The Welsh regions are looking highly questionable this year, and while this test side was very experienced it's also quite old. It might be an end of a generation thing.

I think it's always easy to say this sort of thing with hindsight, but if we imagine for a moment Gatland and Edwards were still on the coaching team and Wales had it's recent performance, everyone would be talking about the fact the team is experienced but old players mixed with brand new players, and France has really come out of nowhere since the World Cup performances, and Ireland was just a poo poo game, they happen.

There's always welsh rugby regional drama, there's always poo poo games, but now the team is getting used to a new coach etc too.

I suspect performance would sink mentally a bit from the World Cup anyway seeing how Wales went into it very strong and performed very mediocre for a supposed potential champion.

stavros880 posted:

This. I get more frustrated about these games than when we just get battered. This game was there to be won, we just needed to take the points on offer and not give away dumb interceptions. If they just did that, even ignoring any moaning about the ref, we would have won the game fairly comfortably (but maybe not deservedly).

Yeah, I always feel blaming the ref is more appropriate for football than Rugby. Rugby makes big steps to reduce the possibility of referee error with the TMOs etc, and while there are still marginal clutch calls if the game revolves around one or two decisions you probably aren't playing well enough anyway.

If we had been given the penalty try and managed to scrape a win, it would have just been the World Cup redux: glad we won because obviously, but don't think we deserved it.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Not feeling overly confident about this to be honest

MyChemicalImbalance
Sep 15, 2007

Keep on smilin'

:unsmith:
Is the captaincy getting to Sexton? England look strong here but theres still a lot to play for.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
Sexton is having a shocker

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

That was nice

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Ireland? More like Scotland.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Send them both off you coward.

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;
Free hit to the ribs is fine, wrapping round the shoulder a high tackle penalty?

stavros880
May 2, 2005
I like monkeys
Farrell finally uses his arms and people still complain. The poor guy can do nothing right.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
Ireland's scrum is falling apart

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

gently caress off that’s a yellow

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
that's the most blatant obstruction I've ever seen

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Was Farrell legal in that maul? He just kinda slid up the edge with his hand on it and then stood in the way of the defenders so they could peel off behind him. I thought they were firmer on the "join at the rear" thing these days

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

Are any of Ireland’s ‘running lines’ legal?

Vaders Jester
Sep 9, 2009

:scotland:
Italy - Ireland game potentially called off/postponed due to the coronavirus outbreaks in the North of Italy.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/51631954

e: Officially postponed now.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/51641149

Vaders Jester fucked around with this message at 15:57 on Feb 26, 2020

stavros880
May 2, 2005
I like monkeys

Vaders Jester posted:

Italy - Ireland game potentially called off/postponed due to the coronavirus outbreaks in the North of Italy.

The Italy-England game on the final weekend will surely have to be cancelled as well right? Can't see it making sense to have thousands of supporters travelling to Rome.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry

Vaders Jester posted:

It would obviously be best if nothing was cancelled but I'm a little disappointed it wasn't a Scotland game that was effected just to see whether the SRU has learned their lesson.

Shane they can't just host the Italy game in another stadium really.

Vaders Jester
Sep 9, 2009

stavros880 posted:

The Italy-England game on the final weekend will surely have to be cancelled as well right? Can't see it making sense to have thousands of supporters travelling to Rome.

I'd imagine so.

Parisse's monkey paw curse of "never lose another rugby game" is a hell of a thing.

bigfoot again
Apr 24, 2007

How’s Joe Marchant doing in auckland?

HappyCamperGL
May 18, 2014

Kitchner posted:

It would obviously be best if nothing was cancelled but I'm a little disappointed it wasn't a Scotland game that was effected just to see whether the SRU has learned their lesson.

Situations aren't really comparable. They'll probably just replay the postponed matches later like during foot and mouth.

Vaders Jester
Sep 9, 2009

Kitchner posted:

Already had the Italy - Scotland women's game cancelled at the weekend due to the outbreak so they probably have.

Ataxerxes
Dec 2, 2011

What is a soldier but a miserable pile of eaten cats and strange language?
Could you folks recommend me a place that sells very large size rugby headguards? My head circumference is 63cm/ around 25 inches and Amazon etc don't seem to be carrying headguards that big. A seller somewhere within the EU would be preferred. Thanks in advance!

Vaders Jester
Sep 9, 2009

Ataxerxes posted:

Could you folks recommend me a place that sells very large size rugby headguards? My head circumference is 63cm/ around 25 inches and Amazon etc don't seem to be carrying headguards that big. A seller somewhere within the EU would be preferred. Thanks in advance!

https://www.decathlon.co.uk/r500-adult-scrum-cap-id_8395677.html#v2345745

This one is the only one I could find on a wee bit of a look around but I never wore a scrum cap so not sure what the brand is like. Get decent reviews from the look of it.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

I think my mass effect is broken

bigfoot again posted:

How’s Joe Marchant doing in auckland?

Doing really well, and is a bright spot in an otherwise dysfunctional team.

Tyma
Dec 22, 2004

I love Leinster and I couldn't be happier that Jordie Barrett has signed with them on a short term deal.

Vaders Jester posted:

This one is the only one I could find on a wee bit of a look around but I never wore a scrum cap so not sure what the brand is like. Get decent reviews from the look of it.

I switched to this brand recently, because the elastic on my current scrum cap was starting to die, and I wanted to save what little life it had left for special matches and media appearances. I haven't tried the R900, but I'm probably going to buy a couple more of the Offload 500 before the summer. I don't think you can go wrong with either, if they have them in your size.

The only real sticking point for me was that the cap covers much less of my forehead than my older (Kooga, Gilbert) scrum caps. This scared the poo poo out of me when I first started playing in it, because I'd taken a stud to the eye a few weeks prior, but the more I wore it, the more I realized just how little contact is made the forehead, compared to the back of the head in an average game situation. One benefit of this is that there's no chance the cap will ever block your vision of an 8 pick-up, if you get a chance to look for it.

There's no padding at all around the ear. I kind of prefer this to caps which have random panels in that area, because I'd rather feel my head brushing against someone's thigh, than have a piece of padding pushed into part of my ear, whenever my head gets too close in a tackle.

Ataxerxes
Dec 2, 2011

What is a soldier but a miserable pile of eaten cats and strange language?

Vaders Jester posted:

Thanks! Looks like that one should fit, I need one for my HEMA gear and finding one big enough has been a pain in the arse.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Those games don't matter though since France is going to grand slam anyway

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry

ilmucche posted:

I'm OK with this.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

ilmucche posted:

I think France could actually do this in the least convincing slam of all time? If they do it will be entirely down to Shaun Edwards and him somehow making France care about having an organised defence, for the first half at least. I was curious so I looked at the post match stats.

In 3 games they've given up 19 points in the first half, most to Italy of all people. and 43 points in the second half. They have the second highest points against of all teams.

They've had the minority of possession in each game, between 41% and 47% which results in them putting in far far more tackles than their opponents up to twice as many. They're just giving up the ball and saying, come at us.

For me the difference comes from what seems to be a 15 man game. If you're England you're looking to Jonny May, Manu Tuilagi, maybe Underhill and Curry, for Wales you've got to keep an eye on Josh Adams and Dan Bigger etc. France who you going to markup Ntamack yeah, Fickou yeah, Vakatawa absolutely, Dupont yeah, Ollivon and Alldritt yeah they're threats, Bouthier is having a good tournament, Teddy Thomas don't want to give him too much space. Not that many players are just hitting the ball up in midfield for another set, all looking to do something, which is probably why they've scored 11 tries so far.

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO
We should celebrate their commitment to entertaining rugby

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry

Aramoro posted:

For me the difference comes from what seems to be a 15 man game.

To be fair the only reason Wales best them in the WC was because of a 1 man game, so it seems only fair to swing the other way.

France has always been a good attacking team and pretty unpredictable, if Shaun Edwards is making their defence as good as it was against Wales without losing the attacking and unpredictability, I think France are going to have a really good few years.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Kitchner posted:

To be fair the only reason Wales best them in the WC was because of a 1 man game, so it seems only fair to swing the other way.

France has always been a good attacking team and pretty unpredictable, if Shaun Edwards is making their defence as good as it was against Wales without losing the attacking and unpredictability, I think France are going to have a really good few years.

I think they have to be worried about their second half performances. It's all well and good giving the back back and absorbing pressure, just see South Africa they won a world cup with 43% possession. But it means doing that defensive effort for 85+ mins. Then again look at the England game, England were on their 5m line and they just pushed them back out of the 22 with just solid defence, in the modern game that's quite a thing.

They're really fun to watch though. Love how unbothered Ntamack looks all the time, like he's out for a stroll.

Aramoro fucked around with this message at 12:58 on Feb 28, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry
Another point to consider, is that as of today I think it's been 5 years since Italy won a 6 Nations game.