Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Should there even be a poll here???
This poll is closed.
Yes 106 15.84%
No 117 17.49%
Goku 446 66.67%
Total: 669 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

:hmmyes:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

I'm not a Hurricanes fan by any means, but that game was pure schad.

I imagine the rioters have burned Toronto to the ground by now.

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!

TotalLossBrain posted:

Remember Mad Mike Hughes, the flat Earth rocket guy who built his rockets out of RV parts?

His latest didn't go so well

I'm surprised this didn't happen sooner I guess :(

Flat earthing has officially killed a dude in 2020

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Prokhor Zakharov posted:

He misunderstood what flat earthing was though.

The General
Mar 4, 2007

Most Toronto fans I knew don''t have any tears. They know the Leaves suck.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Prokhor Zakharov posted:

The worst part is now Flat Earthers will claim he tried to expose the lie and was silenced by the Deep State.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

RatHat posted:

The worst part is now Flat Earthers will claim he tried to expose the lie and was silenced by the Deep State.

Some flat earth idiots were livestreaming the launch and immediately after Mad Mike crashed and died they started talking about how he'd finally found out for sure whether the earth was round or not during his flight but "he can't come back and tell us now"

Edit: there's an entire GBS thread about this dumb fucker if people want to keep the conversation going flat around

Snowglobe of Doom fucked around with this message at 11:35 on Feb 23, 2020

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE
His rocket was steam powered. Steam.

Why would anyone make a steam powered rocket?

Shut up Meg
Jan 8, 2019

You're safe here.

Field Mousepad posted:

To be fair, it did work.

The problem was, he didn't have a steam-powered parachute.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Shut up Meg posted:

The problem was, he didn't have a steam-powered parachute.

No no no, the problem was that he unexpectedly had a steam-powered parachute when it popped open during the launch and got caught in the steam from the rocket and was torn off. He apparently had three backup chutes but I'm guessing that he at least greyed-out or even blacked out because his "training" to be able to withstand the crazy Gs he would be experiencing was "try to take care myself, watch what I eat for three days before, get enough liquids, hang upside down almost every day and taking oxygen right before I get in the rocket" which is uhhhhhh somewhat lacking.

Hopefully he G-LOCed and wasn't conscious while he fell.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Dillbag posted:

He was somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when gravity began to take hold.

We can't stop here. This is flat country.

Korgan
Feb 14, 2012

BiggerBoat posted:

He did stop there though

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Field Mousepad posted:

I know right? I get crashes with steam all the time too

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Usually reverting to the VAB and fixing my staging corrects whatever my problem is :jeb:

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

This won't link properly because app but holy lol

https://twitter.com/bh13850/status/1231396406625292289?s=19

*edit: it did link properly, hooray!

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
Has someone informed the President of this steam-powered catapult take-off problem? Would this have happened with the Digital?

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

When you follow your dreams, the sky’s the limit.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
lmao, cross-post from that linked thread about his earlier shenanigans:

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Here's a few wacky gifs from that time Mike had to move his rocket to a different launch location at the last minute because the Bureau of Land Management told him he wasn't allowed to do it on public land:

https://i.imgur.com/tsCq2Fh.mp4

https://i.imgur.com/sg1vidj.mp4

https://i.imgur.com/ETJNntE.mp4

Not shown: the rocket falling off the trailer as they were driving down the road because they hadn't secured it properly, but no one noticed so it got dragged along the road for quite a distance.

He spent an entire week packing up all his poo poo and moving it a few miles away to a friend's property and setting it all up again only for the BLM to shut him down again because he'd set up 150 feet short of his buddy's property line and was still on public land. They tried moving that last 150 feet but it turned out the ground was really really sandy and the lovely old RV he'd bought off Craigslist and repurposed as a launch vehicle couldn't drive over it so they gave up.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day
It's hard to parse all the flat earth "logic". What did he expect was going to happen? Also I see I parachute that deployed early, was that supposed to be his back up incase the earth wasn't flat, cause LOL he still would have totally died.

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Splat Earth.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

LifeSunDeath posted:

It's hard to parse all the flat earth "logic".

In the other thread I posted links to some of Mad Mike's recent podcasts (filmed on his phone in the booth a cafe and broadcast by his flat earth buddies who can't even figure out how to hide all their tabs at the top of the screen) and the dude was really genuinely dumb and crazy but also totally convinced that he was a smart guy who had it all figured out. He also bought into every conspiracy theory under the sun and was making up new ones as he went along (is the moon transparent? MAKES U THINK) but also trying real hard to inflict as much damage on his 'enemies' as possible via frivolous lawsuits and attempting to get elected to local positions of authority.
Edit: he was also SovCit

Snowglobe of Doom fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Feb 23, 2020

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

Please keep the death videos to the OSHA/Spaceflight threads.

It's fun to laugh at this guy's gimmick but it's not cool to feel good about someone augering into the ground at terminal velocity, no matter how dumb they are.

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

I kind of respect the dude in that it appearantly did work multiple times, and for the balls you have to have to try something like this. A steam powered homemade rocket is kind of badass.

I am also not going to feel too bad about him dying while willfully, and in full control of his faculties, attempting to disprove something that has been proven again and again, using a homemade apparatus that launches him hundreds of meters into the air with badly thought out safety measures.

Son of Rodney fucked around with this message at 17:51 on Feb 23, 2020

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

I’m just glad that his arrogance and final stunt didn’t wind up taking anyone else with him.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Regalingualius posted:

I’m just glad that his arrogance and final stunt didn’t wind up taking anyone else with him.

He very nearly killed one of his groundcrew in a previous attempt when the rocket unexpectedly launched itself early while his friend was up a ladder working on it

Edit: unlike all his previous attempts where the rocket was pointed straight up, this time the rocket was canted at a 79 degree angle so there was less chance it'd come back down on top of anyone

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Yeah, THAT part of the earth was certainly flat enough.

What a god damned idiot. Was that the parachute that flew off the thing during take off?

All it made me think about was Evel Knievel's Snake River Canyon fiasco except all Evel was trying to prove was...well...actually I'm not sure. Pretty sure he thought the earth was round though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GzIptcAqUDE

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

I'm pretty sure rocket guy was trying to kill himself with rockets. Like he would just keep on building crazier and crazier rockets until one of them finally killed him. He only said he was a flat earther because they're the only ones dumb enough to fund his last suicide rocket.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

BiggerBoat posted:

Yeah, THAT part of the earth was certainly flat enough.

What a god damned idiot. Was that the parachute that flew off the thing during take off?

All it made me think about was Evel Knievel's Snake River Canyon fiasco except all Evel was trying to prove was...well...actually I'm not sure. Pretty sure he thought the earth was round though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GzIptcAqUDE

He was trying to prove that Evel Knievel is the raddest dude in the universe.

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

NEVER play "Lady of Spain" AGAIN!

Dillbag posted:

He was somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when gravity began to take hold.

:vince:

This is probably the best thing I'll read all day.

The Butcher
Apr 20, 2005

Well, at least we tried.
Nap Ghost

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

Today's news totally made me reinstall KSP by the way

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti

BiggerBoat posted:

gschmidl posted:

Splat Earth.

:vince:

Asmodai_00
Nov 26, 2007

:pusheen:

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

That's just the way he rolls.
Okay. So you want to find out if you can see the curve of the planet by gaining height via rocket. That I understand.
What I don't understand is that we have roads higher than his intended height. He could have just drove up there. That's what confuses me.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Ak Gara posted:

Okay. So you want to find out if you can see the curve of the planet by gaining height via rocket. That I understand.
What I don't understand is that we have roads higher than his intended height. He could have just drove up there. That's what confuses me.

Government roads

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Ak Gara posted:

Hell, he could have used balloons and a cheap GoPro (or perhaps a cheap smart phone with GPS so it could be hunted down).

At the end he wanted to ride rockets. He became a late “convert” to Flat Earth poo poo because he found that he could get them to finance his dreams if he couched the whole thing as “scientific experiments” to prove the earth was flat.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Push El Burrito posted:

He was trying to prove that Evel Knievel is the raddest dude in the universe.

Well then mission accomplished I suppose and I'm not prepared to argue anything to the contrary.

klafbang
Nov 18, 2009
Clapping Larry

Proteus Jones posted:

Hell, he could have used balloons and a cheap GoPro (or perhaps a cheap smart phone with GPS so it could be hunted down).

At the end he wanted to ride rockets. He became a late “convert” to Flat Earth poo poo because he found that he could get them to finance his dreams if he couched the whole thing as “scientific experiments” to prove the earth was flat.

Part of the flat earther argument is that cameras are no good because lenses distort things. The only acceptable proof is viewing it with your own eyes. So, "need to build rockets" is very sellable.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

His name was Jeb