Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser
As a middle class, middle aged white man, the police have been unfailingly nice to me every time I’ve had contact with them, including the times I actually did crimes and got caught by them. Apparently this is not a universal experience?

:a privileged snipe

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

somepartsareme
Mar 10, 2012

Diggle Hell is a Real
(Swingin') Place
one time there was a cop behind me at a left turn lane and he pulled me over for going through the yellow light right before it turned red even though i was CLEARLY in the intersection in time

gently caress cops

Crespolini
Mar 9, 2014

Torquemada posted:

As a middle class, middle aged white man, the police have been unfailingly nice to me every time I’ve had contact with them, including the times I actually did crimes and got caught by them. Apparently this is not a universal experience?

:a privileged snipe

I guess, but doesn't like, literally everyone in this thread agree there's huge problems with law enforcement as an institution in the US? And the disagreement was more related to scepticism over whether full scale anarchism with no age of consent laws was the obvious solution to this?

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
Love that TV episode where a bunch of forum users start arguing about the ethics and morality of police forces in America.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

Crimpolioni posted:

I guess, but doesn't like, literally everyone in this thread agree there's huge problems with law enforcement as an institution in the US? And the disagreement was more related to scepticism over whether full scale anarchism with no age of consent laws was the obvious solution to this?

As a resident of the UK, I’m here to tell you that irrespective of age, colour or social class, the fact that you can’t be extrajudicially murdered at whim by the vast majority of police persons makes the whole situation a lot less tense. If you get killed by police in the UK, it’s assumed that something went badly wrong somewhere. In the US it’s business as usual.

Crespolini
Mar 9, 2014

Torquemada posted:

As a resident of the UK, I’m here to tell you that irrespective of age, colour or social class, the fact that you can’t be extrajudicially murdered at whim by the vast majority of police persons makes the whole situation a lot less tense. If you get killed by police in the UK, it’s assumed that something went badly wrong somewhere. In the US it’s business as usual.

That sounds kinda nice and seems like a good alternative to having no laws at all imo.

dads_work_files
May 14, 2008

important_document.avi

Reno 911 was pretty good

dads_work_files
May 14, 2008

important_document.avi

And the first scene of Super Troopers. And the Hong Kong police. Those are the only three good police

EDIT: VVVVVV yeah that's why they're good

dads_work_files has a new favorite as of 06:12 on Feb 23, 2020

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.
I regret to inform you the Hong Kong police are now an arm of the CCP.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

pentyne posted:

Love that TV episode where a bunch of forum users start arguing about the ethics and morality of police forces in America.

Isn't that an episode of Mr. Robot?

IshmaelZarkov
Jun 20, 2013

Torquemada posted:

As an outsider looking in at the US system, could the problem be the everything, and to fix it you should just... start again?

Also, I've been doing a rewatch of Arrested Development for the first time in ages. Just hit season 3. It's... uh... it's aged bad, guys. Like, real bad.

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...

IshmaelZarkov posted:

Also, I've been doing a rewatch of Arrested Development for the first time in ages. Just hit season 3. It's... uh... it's aged bad, guys. Like, real bad.

They thought the "Shemale" shirt was funny enough to bring back in season 4.

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

Olive! posted:

They thought the "Shemale" shirt was funny enough to bring back in season 4.

Ugh, that joke wasn't funny to begin with.

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

pentyne posted:

Yeah, let's put this topic to rest, please. I think we're all on the same side here, and this thread isn't the place to break that side down further.

re: Arrested Development, I was actually just thinking of the Steve Holt/Shemale shirt subplot the other day and ugh :whitewater: I couldn't believe they thought that deserved a callback.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Serious discussion of police abolition tends to talk about it in a gradual sense- not just suddenly “there are no laws”, but reducing the number of situations in which armed officers are present. Not using people with guns to enforce traffic stops or turnstile jumping, not having them be the people sent out for wellness checks, etc. There’s a transition involved, the idea being you reduce the power and presence of the entity that the modern police force is.

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

beep boop no more please

HairyManling
Jul 20, 2011

No flipping.
Fun Shoe

IshmaelZarkov posted:

As an outsider looking in at the US system, could the problem be the everything, and to fix it you should just... start again?
As an outsider to wherever it is that you come from, regardless of whatever issues your government faces, the social issues, inequality and so on, can you just.. not start over? These types of posts are so boring and and ultimately useless. And always sound like nothing more than ‘What’s wrong with you, you stupid dickhead for not being able to singlehandedly restart and change all that you feel is wrong within the system you’ve been born into?’

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

bobjr posted:

It is kind of interesting since most other cop shows tend to have problems be the result of a bad seed only there for an episode rather than a bigger systemic issue.

I know The Wire has every cop except McNulty do some kind of corrupt action, but McNulty had way different problems in his life. Until season 5.

Does Lester ever so something crooked?

Aside from sleeping with a witness.

Shut up Meg
Jan 8, 2019

You're safe here.

FreudianSlippers posted:

Does Lester ever so something crooked?

Aside from sleeping with a witness.

Illegal wiretap and runs a fake taskforce to misappropriate resources to run a pet project.

Also spends half the first season running a small-scale manufacturing operation at his desk instead of doing his job.

And, as you say, bangs a vulnerable witness under his protection.

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Eat a dick unicycle boy!
Just watched Simpsons S1 E10 Homer's night out

The gist is that Bart uses a tiny (film) spy camera to clandestinely takes a photo of homer dancing with an exotic dancer. This photo spreads virally through the town and publicly shames homer and Marge's relationship. Homer is told to explain his behaviour to Bart (as Marge deemed it objectifying and a bad role modelling for bart) and after searching several strip clubs to find the stripper. After finding her ,he stumbles through an attempt at introducing Bart to her and eventually gives a speech to the club's audience. Shaming them for enjoying strippers instead of the company of their wives.

Firstly, the concept of a tiny film camera is horribly out dated and if an attempt at modernization were made the concept of a spy camera would not be needed in this age of iPads and tech

Secondarily, Homer's transgression is that he was dancing with a stripper and the fact he lied about attending the stag party is only given lip service. The issue with his attendance is that a stripper was present and he danced with her. (This may be early nineties code for more transgressive behaviour on Homer's part). It's a very sex negative attitude that comes straight out of the early nineties.
"Strippers can't have a positive work experience, it must be shameful by default

Thirdly, Homer's speech about enjoying your wife's comfort over that of stripper's reeks of a time where men would routinely lie about visiting strip clubs. Which is a cultural touchstone , that as a person that exists in 2020 in Australia I could just not connect with.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

IshmaelZarkov posted:

Season three was always bad. I've been saying ever since I first watched it that the show should have ended with the second season.

People would always respond "oh, it's not as good as the first two, but it's still good" and nope, they were wrong. It was bad.

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Didn't you see it!? Couldn't you see my "spirit"!?

Jestery posted:

The gist is that Bart uses a tiny (film) spy camera to clandestinely takes a photo of homer dancing with an exotic dancer. This photo spreads virally through the town and publicly shames homer and Marge's relationship. Homer is told to explain his behaviour to Bart (as Marge deemed it objectifying and a bad role modelling for bart) and after searching several strip clubs to find the stripper. After finding her ,he stumbles through an attempt at introducing Bart to her and eventually gives a speech to the club's audience. Shaming them for enjoying strippers instead of the company of their wives.

Firstly, the concept of a tiny film camera is horribly out dated and if an attempt at modernization were made the concept of a spy camera would not be needed in this age of iPads and tech

Secondarily, Homer's transgression is that he was dancing with a stripper and the fact he lied about attending the stag party is only given lip service. The issue with his attendance is that a stripper was present and he danced with her. (This may be early nineties code for more transgressive behaviour on Homer's part). It's a very sex negative attitude that comes straight out of the early nineties.
"Strippers can't have a positive work experience, it must be shameful by default

Thirdly, Homer's speech about enjoying your wife's comfort over that of stripper's reeks of a time where men would routinely lie about visiting strip clubs. Which is a cultural touchstone , that as a person that exists in 2020 in Australia I could just not connect with.

If I went to a strip club and my wife found out she would be mad that I didn't take her with me.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Tiggum posted:

Season three was always bad. I've been saying ever since I first watched it that the show should have ended with the second season.

People would always respond "oh, it's not as good as the first two, but it's still good" and nope, they were wrong. It was bad.

At least nobody is foolish enough to debate the failure of season 4. Anything from that season that isn't David Cross is terrible.

I heard they were making a season 5. I legit don't know if it actually every came out, because I lost all interest in the show. Didn't even watch the chronologically reedited season 4 when it came out.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

rydiafan posted:

At least nobody is foolish enough to debate the failure of season 4. Anything from that season that isn't David Cross is terrible.

I heard they were making a season 5. I legit don't know if it actually every came out, because I lost all interest in the show. Didn't even watch the chronologically reedited season 4 when it came out.

Season 5 came out a couple of years ago. I think I watched two episodes and was bored to tears.

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood
a fun game to play while watching, really any police themed TV show, is figuring out which 40% of the cast are the ones who beat their wives.

PHIZ KALIFA has a new favorite as of 16:10 on Feb 23, 2020

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Jeffrey Tambor got #metoo’ed and Jessica Walter and Maeby called him a piece of poo poo during an interview, so that might be where season 5 went.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Jestery posted:

Belly Dancer sho shows up to the stag party dinner and Burlesque Show at the end, if I remember correctly. So it's even more tame than "went to titty bar" as you could hear about on Married with Children.

It is definitely from the era when men didn't talk about going to strip clubs with their wives, and when that was just seen as seedy and gross.

There's at least an attempt to make it about treating the dancer as a person and not an object, so that was pretty new.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Got interesting given the whole thing with the burlesque house later on, which I'm pretty sure was anachronistic even for the time.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Got interesting given the whole thing with the burlesque house later on, which I'm pretty sure was anachronistic even for the time.

I'm pretty sure 'burlesque houses' were never a thing, and the writers hodgepodged together a concept that would work for the story they wanted to tell without being too racy, since 'racy' wasn't the point.

Burlesque was a thing, but not very big at the time, I think. It's having a resurgence now among the generations that I'm realizing probably grew up with that episode, so... good job seeding that one, The Simpsons?

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood
if a supercriticality of roller derbyists dwell within the same area, it becomes by default a Burlesque House.

aardwolf
Apr 27, 2013
They do call out the possibility of it being code for something in-episode:

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Quite a contrast to the episode with the old western town which appeared to have been populated in its day primarily by prostitutes.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Cleretic posted:

I'm pretty sure 'burlesque houses' were never a thing, and the writers hodgepodged together a concept that would work for the story they wanted to tell without being too racy, since 'racy' wasn't the point.

Burlesque was a thing, but not very big at the time, I think. It's having a resurgence now among the generations that I'm realizing probably grew up with that episode, so... good job seeding that one, The Simpsons?

There’s definitely burlesque houses in NYC right now, and they are absolutely full of pretty much exactly who you would expect. It’s great if you want to go hang out with the most tiresome motherfuckers to walk the earth.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Ugly In The Morning posted:

if you want to go hang out with the most tiresome motherfuckers to walk the earth.

Clearly I do, I’m here aren’t I.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Captain Monkey posted:

Clearly I do, I’m here aren’t I.

Goons have nothing on Burlesque Enthusiasts, let me tell you. I would chew my own arm off before I go to anyone else’s burlesque show. I would rather go to improv than go to a burlesque show.

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

how dare you guys disrespect C O P S

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iR-4mhUg6Jw

TheKennedys
Sep 23, 2006

By my hand, I will take you from this godforsaken internet

man I used to watch this as a kid, I forgot it existed for a minute there :allears:

I have the entirety of Mighty Max sitting on my hard drive and remember it being one of the more clever and Actually Decent of the lovely 90s cartoon glut, I ought to rewatch it and see how it held up.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

TheKennedys posted:

man I used to watch this as a kid, I forgot it existed for a minute there :allears:

I have the entirety of Mighty Max sitting on my hard drive and remember it being one of the more clever and Actually Decent of the lovely 90s cartoon glut, I ought to rewatch it and see how it held up.

There were so many poo poo cartoons in the 90’s. I shudder to think of how badly something like Street Sharks holds up.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

TheKennedys posted:

The series finale was...unsatisfying to me. I remember that. I was on the edge of my seat while everyone is getting killed off left and right, and then the big twist at the end kicks in and I'm all "that's it!?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Goons have nothing on Burlesque Enthusiasts, let me tell you. I would chew my own arm off before I go to anyone else’s burlesque show. I would rather go to improv than go to a burlesque show.

I’ll take your word for it.