Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Living room furniture is out, patio furniture is in at my local Costco.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

EVG posted:

Anyone ever used the Costco travel rewards? Looking at their Hawaii vacation packages.

We booked our Ireland trip through them last year. What’s your question?

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

EVG posted:

Anyone ever used the Costco travel rewards? Looking at their Hawaii vacation packages.

I JUST got back from Hawaii after booking through Costco Travel this week. Excellent experience all around. Family of 5 from Detroit for 8 days for $6K for airfare and lodging (ON Waikiki beach) plus I have a $215 costco card coming my way. Also included transport to/from the airport to the hotel. Make sure to pick up the Go Oahu 4-day pass from Costco as that saved us a ton of money on activities, and we did activities we wouldn't otherwise had.

Amazing trip!

Goofball
Apr 4, 2019

Noslo posted:

Pretty sure they're trained to say that to everyone, I got pitched with "our system flagged you, you should upgrade to executive blah blah" a few weeks ago

I told him I ran the numbers already and would need to spend 3k annually to break even, which I don't do, so no thanks

I'm sure I'd hit 3k if I bought gas there too, but I don't because I'm not going to drive 30 miles there and back to save $0.10 per gallon

Gas station spend doesn't count towards Executive rewards. Had that conversation multiple times with the person trying to get me to sign up.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
We did three Costco vacations and all were lovely. The first one I actually had to call in to coordinate and the rep was very knowledgeable about the hotels and everything. Now that I'm more comfortable with international travel I haven't used it but the coordination they did was incredible. Te first one to England Scotland and Ireland I couldn't beat the price at all and the second was to Italy and I could get close on price elsewhere with lower quality of service, so I stuck with Costco.

You know it's going to be a classy trip with a guy holding a sign with your name picking you up at the airport.

Or the guy that meets you in your hotel lobby who walks you to a taxi boat, then to his car to the airport in Venice.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

StormDrain posted:

You know it's going to be a classy trip with a guy holding a sign with your name picking you up at the airport.

Or the guy that meets you in your hotel lobby who walks you to a taxi boat, then to his car to the airport in Venice.

now thats how u do it

Jingleheimer
Mar 30, 2006

Gaius Marius posted:

Nope the system is just sort of broken. They're a rewards for getting renewals and upgrades so the warehouses go crazy trying to get as many as possible. The whole computer information aspect of Costco is ancient though so I'm not surprised it's flagging accounts that aren't actually benefitting

It's not so much that they flag accounts that won't benefit. The way they choose which accounts get flagged is based on more factors than just spending habits, and those other factors change every time. Most cashiers don't know that though and just assume that the machine flags the account of an 80 year old lady because she's obviously spending $3k a year at Costco.

The computer system is very ancient though and probably does make mistakes.

EVG
Dec 17, 2005

If I Saw It, Here's How It Happened.

TraderStav posted:

I JUST got back from Hawaii after booking through Costco Travel this week. Excellent experience all around. Family of 5 from Detroit for 8 days for $6K for airfare and lodging (ON Waikiki beach) plus I have a $215 costco card coming my way. Also included transport to/from the airport to the hotel. Make sure to pick up the Go Oahu 4-day pass from Costco as that saved us a ton of money on activities, and we did activities we wouldn't otherwise had.

Amazing trip!

Wow, that’s similar to I was looking at, Oahu and Kauai. But for 2 from Chicago. If you’d like to weigh in on which hotel you picked and activities were the best, I’d love the input. (ALSO how was the Costco there??). Because our 2 island trip was coming out to around 5-6k for the 2 of us, it sounds like you managed to book more cost effectively.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

EVG posted:

Wow, that’s similar to I was looking at, Oahu and Kauai. But for 2 from Chicago. If you’d like to weigh in on which hotel you picked and activities were the best, I’d love the input. (ALSO how was the Costco there??). Because our 2 island trip was coming out to around 5-6k for the 2 of us, it sounds like you managed to book more cost effectively.

Time of year may be a factor, we got back this week so February. We only did one island and stayed at the Outrigger Reef for 7 nights. Unfortunately, we didn't make it to the Costco there as we only had the car for two days and were at the north shore too long before they closed.

Activities/Highlights:
- Rent a convertible for a few days and drive to the North shore. This is an experience on its own. There were five of us so I had to upgrade my reservation (also through Costco) for a Mustang at $165 to a Jeep Gladiator for $240 for two days.

- North Shore: Check out Lanakai beach and go to the Beach House Grill in the primary town area of Waimea.

- Visit the Waimea Valley and hike to the waterfall there. Tons of movies filmed in this area

- DO NOT MISS the Polynesian Cultural Center, this can be your one 'big' activity that you get to pick with the Go Oahu card. This place was so undersold to me we didn't spend enough time there. It's like Epcot for the Polynesian islands without being exploitative and actually providing a rich cultural experience for the 7 or so islands. The Luau was decent but still worth doing the but the show at night was top notch

- Pearl Harbor - USS Arizona: Get your tickets 30 or 60 days in advance and spend the $1 per to reserve them, there isn't any extra cost. If you don't get them or the window is too short they release another batch of tickets 24 hours in advance. This is a great tour. We also swiped our Go Oahu cards and took the audio tour of the USS Bowfin submarine which was very cool and my kids loved it. I would've never spent $50 for it otherwise

- Makani Catamaran ride: This was a real fun thing to do in the morning, 2 hours and got to see Whales, Dolphins, and Sea Turtles as we cruised the high seas with drinks (not included)

- Diamond Head Crater: On a clear day, this is about an hour walk to the top (not easy though) for some breathtaking views of the island, don't miss this

- Go down past the Sheraton from the Outrigger Reef and post up at that beach during the day. One day we spent the money ($63) for a couple chairs and an umbrella, but I'd recommend going to ABC Stores (you'll go two dozen times, very convenient!) and just buy a couple beach chairs to save some money

Food
- Dukes: If for nothing else, get the Hulu Pie. Good gravy I'm addicted to Macadamia nut ice cream now
- Island Vintage Shaved ice: Right on the main commercial strip, eat this daily
- Cafe Glace: Gelato, but just amazing stuff
- Marakume Udon: Still thinking about this place
- Poke Bowls, I had an amazing one at Yard house.
- Leonards Bakery, when you get your car, go straight there and get a dozen Malasadas. :homer simpsons drool:
- Island Vintage Coffee: Long wait, but the breakfast here is worth it

There's my brain dump, enjoy!

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

do you flash your card when you walk in or do you stride in like you own the place?

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

BONGHITZ posted:

do you flash your card when you walk in or do you stride in like you own the place?

Both.

It's digital though, and they scan it. In most cases you need reservations ahead of time.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Went to the Co today and amassed an impressive $560 bill despite not having any tech or furniture on the tab. The only non-grocery item was a nice $10 beach towel. Our freezers and fridge were empty so a lot of stocking up.

The street tacos are legit as hell. Get them!

sandball
Jan 6, 2006

Noslo posted:

True, but one thing I want to add to this is that my buddy was told a pitch of "all the money your account has spent so far this year will carry over into the executive plan" and then when he did it, turns out that wasn't true and it started at zero.

When that sort of thing comes up it's because they generally prorate the upgrade instead of crediting the amount into a rebate check.

large hands
Jan 24, 2006

cursed offering... :whitewater:

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
thats extremely blessed actually

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Yeah, just gonna go to Costco to pick up some... Guy! Guy Fieri Kansas Style Style Kansas Sauce BBQ Sauce.

It could be good, but wtf is with that label.

pacerhimself
Dec 30, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
Homie don't know bout flavortown

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

Yeah, just gonna go to Costco to pick up some... Guy! Guy Fieri Kansas Style Style Kansas Sauce BBQ Sauce.

It could be good, but wtf is with that label.

Anglais et francais

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

pacerhimself posted:

Homie don't know bout flavortown

Anglais et francais

Wow, Flavortown is such a multicultural melting pot

pacerhimself
Dec 30, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
Oui, mais aussi Canada.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Hating on Guy Fieri is old and passe, embracing Guy Fieri is the new hotness.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_HGLcIXte00

The best Guy Fieri

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

gonna buy out Costco before coronavirus hits

large hands
Jan 24, 2006
$700 tithe today, but got $100 cash back thanks to the rebate cheque. Always feels like a shopping spree :pray:

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Chinatown posted:

thats extremely blessed actually

Guy's "Dragon's Breath" chili recipe is loving delicious IMO. 4.9 stars and 468 reviews on foodnetwork.com and it has ground beef, italian sausage, and boneless chuck in it (and beans!).

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Costco tri tips today. They're 4.69 a pound IIRC but they're trimmed really well so that puts them on par with $2.99 or so you can occasionally get at grocery store sales prices and I'm guessing it'll be better quality meat.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
Some of you needed the last line.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Cyrano4747 posted:

The upside is that if you sign up and don't break even they'll refund you and let you cancel it.

We just did that with our executive membership. We did the math and we spent something like 70% of what we'd need to break even on it.

There's probably a subset of executive members that don't meet the minimum then fail to do that which works out in their favor.

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug
Air AND nitrogen?!

Carrion Luggage
Nov 24, 2006

air is just low budget nitrogen

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

:blastu::dogcited:
Lipstick Apathy

large hands posted:

cursed offering... :whitewater:

Bitchin!

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Seeded buns on the dogs now?

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

FogHelmut posted:

Seeded buns on the dogs now?

What kind of seeds?

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
I ate a costco hot dog today

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Pick posted:

Same

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

Pick posted:

a Monday dog. blessed.

Woodsy Owl
Oct 27, 2004

TraderStav posted:

- DO NOT MISS the Polynesian Cultural Center, this can be your one 'big' activity that you get to pick with the Go Oahu card.

The place has an excellent mission statement but it’s really boring. You will learn very little about the history of the cultures. The shows are incredibly poorly produced as well; if you have to go, save your hearing and skip the show at the end of the night.

Edit: also the new and improved Costco paper towels are inferior to the old

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

Anyone else pick up some of those beef sticks that are on sale? Not bad, but still seem overpriced even with the discount.

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

Went to my local Costco and got a mug rack. I got props from the cashiers as apparently it's a popular item in my area.

Carrion Luggage
Nov 24, 2006

Minto Took posted:

Went to my local Costco and got a mug rack. I got props from the cashiers as apparently it's a popular item in my area.

you live in a retirement area?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

Anyone else pick up some of those beef sticks that are on sale? Not bad, but still seem overpriced even with the discount.

If these are the refrigerated slim Jim's, they suck.