Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
Is it more or less ridiculous than Charles Bronson shooting criminals with a rocket launcher in Death Wish 3? or was it 4? Maybe it was both.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

MrBling posted:

Is it more or less ridiculous than Charles Bronson shooting criminals with a rocket launcher in Death Wish 3? or was it 4? Maybe it was both.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KRAT1-c7q98

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
I feel like holding the barrel of a big machine gun like that while shooting it constantly is probably a good way to get your hand burned.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

MrBling posted:

I feel like holding the barrel of a big machine gun like that while shooting it constantly is probably a good way to get your hand burned.

In HBO's Pacific, this is shown on screen because it actually really happened in WW2 and yeah, the guy burned his hand really badly. They show him afterwards getting treated.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

In HBO's Pacific, this is shown on screen because it actually really happened in WW2 and yeah, the guy burned his hand really badly. They show him afterwards getting treated.

And a jury rigged solution for the next time he goes out. The Pacific generally wasn't that good, but the good bits are so loving good.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer
I watched Point Break for the first time this weekend, and I've been thinking about this scene ever since.

Steen71
Apr 10, 2017

Fun Shoe

TheOmegaWalrus posted:

When you realize that Bennet was also Wez from Road Warrior, it adds just a whole new level of absurdity.

And let's not forget his prosthetic hand vibrator in the PG rated Innerspace.

TheOmegaWalrus
Feb 3, 2007

by Hand Knit
A man of that breed could've only existed in the crazy cocoon of cold war and cocaine known as the 80's.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

So the Raid remake isn't exactly a Raid remake anymore...

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Honestly, I'm okay with this? It sounds like it'll be a rad movie, and not having the Raid baggage attached to it is probably a good thing.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

Honestly, I'm okay with this? It sounds like it'll be a rad movie, and not having the Raid baggage attached to it is probably a good thing.

Yeah I agree, it sounds like the script evolved away from a remake pretty organically. What makes Raid special is the fighting style and choreography and I don't see how anyone besides Iko and the boys could pull it off.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

It should be illegal to remake movies that soon anyway.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Lurdiak posted:

It should be illegal to remake movies that soon anyway.

The ring and infernal affairs both got remakes released 4 years after the original, the raid was centuries ago in comparison

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer
Not to go too far off the rails, but HBO is remaking Parasite for American audiences, so...

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

Franchescanado posted:

Not to go too far off the rails, but HBO is remaking Parasite for American audiences, so...

I think REC is still the king, the US remake of it, Quarantine, dropped IIRC less than a year after REC was released.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Neo Rasa posted:

I think REC is still the king, the US remake of it, Quarantine, dropped IIRC less than a year after REC was released.

I don't even mind it so much for something like REC that didn't get a ton of mainstream attention, but Parasite just swept the Oscars. A remake right now would just be redundant. Maybe it's just in the early stages of pre-production and they don't actually plan to release it for another 2-3 years, who knows.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Franchescanado posted:

Bong is involved and I don't know if it's a remake so much as a separate story with the same themes. So much of Parasite seems specifically Korean so I don't see how that works with Mark Ruffalo (rumoured to be attached) anyhow.

flashy_mcflash fucked around with this message at 15:48 on Feb 13, 2020

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

:stat:man
Speaking of Korean thrillers, I watched The Villainess again and was surprised that I've enjoyed it more each time I've sat through it. I think I was a victim of my own expectations the first time. Like many, many Korean thrillers, it has pacing issues, but this bothers me a lot less now that I've learned to accept the movie on its own terms. I'm curious about other people's experiences with it.

FancyMike
May 7, 2007

dokmo posted:

Speaking of Korean thrillers, I watched The Villainess again and was surprised that I've enjoyed it more each time I've sat through it. I think I was a victim of my own expectations the first time. Like many, many Korean thrillers, it has pacing issues, but this bothers me a lot less now that I've learned to accept the movie on its own terms. I'm curious about other people's experiences with it.

I've only watched it once, but liked it a lot. Felt a little long and maybe too much plot that got a bit tiresome to follow at times (aren't there flashbacks too that are confusing the first time?), but the action is great and it stands out in a year that was stacked with good stylish action movies.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

flashy_mcflash posted:

Bong is involved and I don't know if it's a remake so much as a separate story with the same themes. So much of Parasite seems specifically Korean so I don't see how that works with Mark Ruffalo (rumoured to be attached) anyhow.

Yeah like, there's the artistically-bankrupt "just xerox this previously successful thing so we don't have to take risks" remake and then there's the audience-conscious "reinterpret the material to speak to a different culture while communicating the same essential themes" remake.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Why y'all giving the bourgeois the benefit of the doubt

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Crossposting.

Lurdiak posted:

What's up CD, I'm doing a Rudy Ray Moore stream night tonight, starting at 7 PM EST. I'll be showing

• Dolemite
• The Human Tornado
• Petey Wheatsraw
and capping off with
• Dolemite is My Name

The stream will be here, don't forget to install this extension to be able to actually view the features.

Everyone's welcome, especially if you join the horror discord to chat during the movies.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

https://twitter.com/GenreFilmAddict/status/1230876384538525697?s=20

GoodyTwoShoes
Oct 26, 2013
Found Ninja Assassin at my local Dollar Tree. I think I got my dollar's worth, despite the clash between "grim, serious acting" and "ludicrous amounts of red koolaid posing as blood." I'm pretty sure the big guy he killed in the men's room bled two persons' worth all by himself. :D

I watched the special feature about training Rain, a singer who dances a bit, into the exceedingly cut Raizo. The two comments that stood out to me were "he could be a real stuntman!" and "we kept having to redo the choreography because he kept getting better." Also, apparently the whole stunt crew (and Rain) trained 6 hours/day for 6 months.

I was also pleased that the damsel in distress managed to injure three ninjas. She shot one in the foot while he stood on her car's sunroof, whacked another with her bumper, and shot another during the finale. Damsels are usually limited to shooting a single bad guy.

SimonCat
Aug 12, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice
Rewatched Fury Road today and it struck me that Immortan Joe must have been a big fan of Thulsa Doom.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

That's because it takes place in the Commandoverse, where such things are common.

Hang on, a rocket launcher in a gun shop is a Commando thing? That must mean that Falling Down takes place in the same universe. The Neonazi gun shop guy in that has a rocket launcher too.

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

That was just the 80s - rocket launchers and ninjas were a dime a dozen. My dad bought a rocket launcher at the True Value one time, hired some ninjas from the parking lot to take care of the Sandanista problem we had in the backyard.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

BioEnchanted posted:

Hang on, a rocket launcher in a gun shop is a Commando thing? That must mean that Falling Down takes place in the same universe. The Neonazi gun shop guy in that has a rocket launcher too.

Sure, and you got to put on a Speedo to row a boat. Michael Douglas would have done that as well in his movie if the situation arised. This is all standard stuff. ;)

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

GoodyTwoShoes posted:

Found Ninja Assassin at my local Dollar Tree. I think I got my dollar's worth, despite the clash between "grim, serious acting" and "ludicrous amounts of red koolaid posing as blood." I'm pretty sure the big guy he killed in the men's room bled two persons' worth all by himself. :D

I watched the special feature about training Rain, a singer who dances a bit, into the exceedingly cut Raizo. The two comments that stood out to me were "he could be a real stuntman!" and "we kept having to redo the choreography because he kept getting better." Also, apparently the whole stunt crew (and Rain) trained 6 hours/day for 6 months.

I was also pleased that the damsel in distress managed to injure three ninjas. She shot one in the foot while he stood on her car's sunroof, whacked another with her bumper, and shot another during the finale. Damsels are usually limited to shooting a single bad guy.

That was a movie that really didn't know what it was trying to do. The whiplash between crazy fun action scenes and grim serious scenes was really disconcerting, but what i mainly remember is how much i had to fiddle with my TV's brightness and contrast settings to see anything.

henpod
Mar 7, 2008

Sir, we have located the Bioweapon.
College Slice
Rewatched The Rock yesterday. It still kicks rear end. Having a domestic terrorists with a noble motive is actually quite refreshing. Also, burst out laughing when Sean Connery told Cage 'I'm amazed you got past puberty'.

TheOmegaWalrus
Feb 3, 2007

by Hand Knit
The Rock is on a short list of timeless action movies. Whatever magic Michael Bay stumbled across, he should have kept with it instead of making a series of trite and derivative cartoon movies.

Instead he lived long enough to become the villain.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

TheOmegaWalrus posted:

The Rock is on a short list of timeless action movies. Whatever magic Michael Bay stumbled across, he should have kept with it instead of making a series of trite and derivative cartoon movies.

Instead he lived long enough to become the villain.

If you go back and watch Bad Boys, it's really visually interesting and The Rock is in a similar zone where yea it's clearly identifiable as Bay's style but it doesn't quite have that ridiculous over the top sheen to it that Bay settled on in his later work. They feel like real movies, much moreso than what came after. Only two years after The Rock he did Armageddon and that was all she wrote.

Basebf555 fucked around with this message at 17:10 on Mar 4, 2020

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

Regarding The Rock, I think about the way Cage says “Oh well why NOT” when he guns the car through the plate glass window a lot.

fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

This doc is worth checking out: In Search of the Last Action Heroes

Also available for for rent on iTunes streaming for $1.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

Splint Chesthair posted:

Regarding The Rock, I think about the way Cage says “Oh well why NOT” when he guns the car through the plate glass window a lot.

He has some truly fantastic line deliveries in that film. So does Tony Todd.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
I wonder if Michael Bay ever sits in his enormous mansion and reflects sadly that he peaked almost a quarter of a century ago and will never make anything as good as The Rock again.

He doesn't.

Also holy poo poo that The Rock is almost a quarter of a century old. :stare:

TheOmegaWalrus
Feb 3, 2007

by Hand Knit
If he has any artistic integrity, he would.

Taking bloodmoney to debase your craft so that it could be marketed to authoritarian, genocidal countries would keep most people up at night.

No amount of money in the world can wash away that shame.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

TheOmegaWalrus posted:

If he has any artistic integrity, he would.

Taking bloodmoney to debase your craft so that it could be marketed to authoritarian, genocidal countries would keep most people up at night.

No amount of money in the world can wash away that shame.

Er... it wouldn't keep you up at night if you support authoritarian, genocidal countries, which Bay very clearly does. Dude's a good director but I haven't gotten any indications that he's not a god awful human being.

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause

LesterGroans posted:

He has some truly fantastic line deliveries in that film. So does Tony Todd.

"You like Elton John?"

"I don't listen to soft rear end poo poo!"

I crack up every single time. And that's BEFORE Cage shoots him with a rocket and says "You're the rocket man!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
It's a grunge thing.