Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
I couldn't beat Baba Is You they should make a version where every level is just Baba + is + you + win so I can feel smart for beating it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terminal autist
May 17, 2018

by vyelkin

Bruceski posted:

You don't need to but it's a valid criticism if you don't. Every game -- even a great game -- has flaws, and accessibility is a common one.

A lot of people will die on the hill of Sekiro so here's a different one. In The Witness there are puzzles that cannot be done if you're hearing-impaired, colorblind, or low-contrast sensitive. The creator's defense is that putting in options to accommodate those would have interfered with his artistic vision, and you don't need to do every puzzle area to reach an ending*. Is this a reasonable design philosophy?

*I will note that you DO need to do every puzzle area to reach the final puzzles, which include plenty that impaired folks could enjoy just fine.

I definitely worded my thoughts poorly but absolutely every game should have as many accessibility options as possible for disabled people. In regards to the ~~artistic vision of the witness that just seems lovely imo to make the game unbeatable for people with something as common as colorblindness. I feel like souls games are different in this regard as you mentioned all games can be better about accessibility but people have beaten dark souls using a banana or the quadriplegic who beat sekiro.

damn horror queefs
Oct 14, 2005

say hello
say hello to the man in the elevator
People, why would you play a fromsoft game for the story lmao come on

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
People make jokes about Baba Is You needing an easy mode, but the fact is that Baba Is You is the easy mode. It's actually a gold standard as far as I'm concerned. It could have a time limit, it could have some time-wasting bullshit when you a fail a puzzle, it could introduce mechanics that make the characters harder to control, or any number of other "difficulty" inducing features, but it doesn't. It's as streamlined as it can be, it does not waste your time, and it gives you a safe place to experiment and try things with no penalty. The only adversary is yourself.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Max Wilco posted:

What's the difference between having a 'story mode' for Dark Souls (a game where most of the 'story' is told via item descriptions and characters who only have a few lines of dialog), or just saving your money and watching playthroughs and lore videos online to understand the story instead of buying the game?

What's the difference between playing The Walking Dead for yourself and watching a playthrough on Youtube? (Even one that makes exactly the same choices you would?)

My original point is that different parts of the whole have different levels of appeal to different people. Clearly the story and lore resonate with people enough for them to never shut the hell up about it. So I don't think somebody being hooked in by that and merely putting up with the combat as a means to an end is that far-fetched.

While it sounds like the execution of those Infinity engine game Story Modes maybe isn't the best, I bet a lot of people still cherish them regardless because they are vastly more invested in the characters and world of those games than they ever were old, crappy D&D mechanics. Or maybe they last played the games when they were 10 and had all the time in the world to puzzle out how the gently caress THAC0 worked and nowadays that isn't something they care to worry about, they just want to hang out with *checks notes* Minsc and Imoen. See also: The number of people who still praise Mass Effect 1's story but simultaneously never want to play it again.

I do get where you're coming from - Mario certainly can't have a "story mode" - but clearly Dark Souls has enough meat on that bone that it actually probably could. Well, okay, it wouldn't be a Story Mode. It would be a Discovery Tour mode, ala Assassin's Creed Origins. And it would be dope as hell.

John Murdoch fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Feb 23, 2020

Lightningproof
Feb 23, 2011

I think they wrote articles about the quadriplegic guy who beat Sekiro because it's generally really loving hard for quadriplegic people to beat Sekiro, not because it's actually super doable for anyone with a debilitating handicap to trash the Guardian Ape.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Lightningproof posted:

I think they wrote articles about the quadriplegic guy who beat Sekiro because it's generally really loving hard for quadriplegic people to beat Sekiro, not because it's actually super doable for anyone with a debilitating handicap to trash the Guardian Ape.

Somebody beat Dark Souls using a heartbeat sensor while sitting upside down in a Formula One car mid-race, therefore anyone can beat Dark Souls. :proof:

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

John Murdoch posted:

I do get where you're coming from - Mario certainly can't have a "story mode"
Counterpoint: I played Mario 1 from start to finish without warps for the first time since I was a little kid when NES Online came out, because I could just rewind if I died. It was fun, I played the whole thing in like an hour, and I would never have done that if rewind wasn't an option. I'm not saying that I couldn't have done it, or that I'm physically incapable of it. I just...wouldn't have done it. Jumping on Goombas and running fast is fun, shooting fireballs is fun. I really struggle to understand the mindset that a game has to present you with real stakes and have tension and frustration in order to be fun (or even be considered a game at all). Hell, I even find it fun to turn on God Mode and run around in Doom 2 blasting enemies. It's still fun to try to kill things while running as fast as possible. I also like to play on no-saves Ultraviolence when I want some real tension, but I mostly play video games to relax so usually I'm save scumming shamelessly and noclipping back up a ledge if I accidentally fall off and whatever.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

drat horror queefs posted:

People, why would you play a fromsoft game for the story lmao come on

Metal Wolf Chaos

Ningyou
Aug 14, 2005

we aaaaare
not your kind of pearls
you seem kind of pho~ny
everything's a liiiiie

we aaaare
not your kind of pearls
something in your make~up
don't see eye to e~y~e

exquisite tea posted:

New idea for a Soulslike: Variable difficulty, but at the end of each boss fight you have to correctly answer several short essay questions identifying the central themes and relevance to the narrative or restart the whole chapter.
unironically here for English Major Souls

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Volte posted:

Counterpoint: I played Mario 1 from start to finish without warps for the first time since I was a little kid when NES Online came out, because I could just rewind if I died. It was fun, I played the whole thing in like an hour, and I would never have done that if rewind wasn't an option. I'm not saying that I couldn't have done it, or that I'm physically incapable of it. I just...wouldn't have done it. Jumping on Goombas and running fast is fun, shooting fireballs is fun. I really struggle to understand the mindset that a game has to present you with real stakes and have tension and frustration in order to be fun (or even be considered a game at all). Hell, I even find it fun to turn on God Mode and run around in Doom 2 blasting enemies. It's still fun to try to kill things while running as fast as possible. I also like to play on no-saves Ultraviolence when I want some real tension, but I mostly play video games to relax so usually I'm save scumming shamelessly and noclipping back up a ledge if I accidentally fall off and whatever.

That was strictly in reference to the fact that Mario simply doesn't have enough narrative to support a "story mode" where you can de-emphasize the core gameplay in favor of something else. It's nothing but core gameplay.

I actually totally agree with you when it comes to playing games however the hell you want to.

damn horror queefs
Oct 14, 2005

say hello

Hwurmp posted:

Metal Wolf Chaos

I withdraw my objection

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Why can't I fight Capra Demon by challenging him to a friendly game of Gwent instead

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
Capra Demon is easy once you get rid of the dogs. But getting rid of the dogs is hard.

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

The tracks go off in this direction.

ymgve posted:

Capra Demon is easy once you get rid of the dogs. But getting rid of the dogs is hard.

JM is right. I’d rather ask ol Capra if he plays Gwen. He nods sadly, and we get down to it.

I’ll play the dogs too.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

Volte posted:

It's because your singular reason for playing a game seems to be the challenge and the challenge alone, and some people play games for other reasons. Some people play games just to exist in a space, control a character, play out a particular sequence of events, try to gently caress around with the mechanics, hear a story, see some numbers go up, or any other reason. My video games are my toys and I play with them how I see fit, just like if it was a Hot Wheels set or something. If someone told me I had to play Hot Wheels the right way or I'm not getting the core experience, I'd whack them with a piece of track.

Well, that's kind of what I was getting at with my debug/practice mode thing with Bloodborne. I thought it would be fun to have all the weapons and freely adjustable stats at the beginning, so you could play around with some of the other weapons in the game that you might otherwise not use because of how you built your character. When you get right down to it, I wouldn't necessarily mind an Easy Mode in Dark Souls, because while I enjoy the challenge, there are times where I'd like it'd to be more lax and laidback.

I remember someone saying that Will Wright didn't consider SimCity or other similar Maxis products as 'games', but rather 'software toys', and that makes sense. You don't always have a goal in something like SimCity or the Sims; rather, you're given a sandbox to mess around with things to see what works and what doesn't. It's why one of the more enjoyable things is when you try to build and city, and it going bad, you can just unleash a tornado to destroy it.

My point wasn't to say that challenge is paramount. There's still a lot of games I play on Easy difficulty because I know I'd struggle with them otherwise. I'm trying to complete a Total Warhamer 2 campaign on Easy difficulty, and even now I still feel like I'm doing poorly.

Going back to Platinum games like Bayo/DMC, when said games come up in conversation, I say that I'm interested in them, but always do really poorly. One of the things I was told is that those games are built around the idea that you play through them multiple times and master the movement and combos. DMC5 (which I've not played yet) has a mode where you can enable easy combos, and so I think maybe I should toggle that on to give myself an easier time. At the same time, though, I think it would be a bad idea, because I'd also like to play the previous games in the series, where there is (to my knowledge) no option to do that.

I ask myself, "Is my problem that I like this game, but would prefer it was easier; or is my problem that I want to game to be easier so that I can finish it." In the case of the latter, I wonder if the issue is that I just don't care for the game, and I just want to strike it out of my backlog. I could turn on Easy Mode or use cheats (assuming there's an option for either), but I feel remiss in doing so, because if someone comes along and asks what I thought of the game, I feel like I can't give an accurate appraisal.

John Murdoch posted:

While it sounds like the execution of those Infinity engine game Story Modes maybe isn't the best, I bet a lot of people still cherish them regardless because they are vastly more invested in the characters and world of those games than they ever were old, crappy D&D mechanics. Or maybe they last played the games when they were 10 and had all the time in the world to puzzle out how the gently caress THAC0 worked and nowadays that isn't something they care to worry about, they just want to hang out with *checks notes* Minsc and Imoen. See also: The number of people who still praise Mass Effect 1's story but simultaneously never want to play it again.

I mean, when I went to complain about my issues with Baldur's Gate, someone pointed out that my issues lied more with 2e D&D than the game itself.

Volte posted:

I beat Super Mario Land a couple of months back using emulator save states, and I'm not ashamed of that (well, okay, maybe a little).

I've also played Doom with god mode and cheats on and enjoyed it, though it's usually when I'm trying out mods. When playing normally, I usually tend to play on 'Hey, Not Too Rough' or "Hurt Me Plenty' because 'Ultra-Violence' throws a lot more enemies at me than I like, but 'I'm Too Young to Die' doesn't throw enough.

ymgve posted:

:yeah:

Max Wilco fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Feb 23, 2020

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

Volte posted:

People make jokes about Baba Is You needing an easy mode, but the fact is that Baba Is You is the easy mode. It's actually a gold standard as far as I'm concerned. It could have a time limit, it could have some time-wasting bullshit when you a fail a puzzle, it could introduce mechanics that make the characters harder to control, or any number of other "difficulty" inducing features, but it doesn't. It's as streamlined as it can be, it does not waste your time, and it gives you a safe place to experiment and try things with no penalty. The only adversary is yourself.

I would argue the same for Sekiro. The only penalty is death and a short run to get back where you were. People just don't want to put in the necessary time to reach the skill that the game requires.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

Max Wilco posted:

I ask myself, "Is my problem that I like this game, but would prefer it was easier; or is my problem that I want to game to be easier so that I can finish it." In the case of the latter, I wonder if the issue is that I just don't care for the game, and I just want to strike it out of my backlog. I could turn on Easy Mode or use cheats (assuming there's an option for either), but I feel remiss in doing so, because if someone comes along and asks what I thought of the game, I feel like I can't give an accurate appraisal.
:yeah:
I think it goes back to the concept of "difficulty" meaning more than one thing. Sorry to further harp on Sekiro, but if you took that game and made it so that you couldn't die, but that enemies regained their entire health bar every time they landed a hit, does that make the game easier or harder? On one hand, you can't die, but on the other hand, you need to be absolutely perfect to beat a boss. The stakes are lower because you're not suffering the full consequences of a death and all the downtime associated with it but progression is tougher because the level of technical excellence required goes up. Frankly I could see myself sitting and fighting the Ape for hours on such a mode without becoming frustrated, because I'd be free to experiment with no or minimal consequences, and in the end I believe I would be a far better Sekiro player, and I would have had a far better time getting there. So I don't think it is about difficulty, as much as it is about perseverance.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
There are minimal consequences to dying in Sekiro, though. There's a waypoint in front of every boss.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

anilEhilated posted:

There are minimal consequences to dying in Sekiro, though. There's a waypoint in front of every boss.
Having to sit through a load screen at all is a waste of my time. Having to sit through 85 load screens to beat one boss is a form of torture.

edit: To be clear I'm not talking about in-game consequences, I just mean the result of having died (i.e. the battle ends and you have to do some routine poo poo to re-initialize it). If at the point of death to a boss, every consequence remained the same except you just instantly reset back to the starting moment of the battle, I would not find it nearly as unbearable. I'm not looking for "easy mode", I'm looking for "don't waste my time mode". I don't believe there's much merit in having to "put time" into a game like you'd put quarters into an arcade machine. I don't want to earn the right to play by pissing away one minute increments, and I'm perfectly willing to put time into the actual meaty bits of the game in order to actually practice and get better. I just don't want the punishment for a mistake to be another minute wasted.

Volte fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Feb 23, 2020

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

Look Sir Droids posted:

I more or less agree with your point, but the book and movie analogy is really poor. You can read a book or finish a movie. The book isn’t stopping you from turning the page and the movie isn’t making you press pause or watch the same scene over and over again.

Video games might be the only art or media form that in most instances tries to stop you from experiencing them. You still can if you watch a Let’s Play, but you don’t need that for books and movies.

I think the point was that nobody would refund a movie ticket for a lovely movie, let alone a movie you just didn't like.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Ningyou posted:

unironically here for English Major Souls

Ouch. Turns out the spider boss transitioning into a bullet hell shooter during Phase 2 was an example of mise-en-abyme, not metonymy. Reload from last checkpoint? (Y/N)

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

YOU MISREAD

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

Amazing subtext ahead

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Too Shy Guy posted:

Amazing subtext ahead

:lmao:

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

"Don't give up, essayist!"

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

guys, i'm stuck on frank herbert's description of the golden path - it just seems no matter what i do halfway through the paragraph the text explodes and i have to restart from the previous page. is there like a trick to this prose? don't just tell me to red gud because that's not loving helpful and i've already completed gormenghast so i know it's not just me.

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

The tracks go off in this direction.

PantsBandit posted:

I would argue the same for Sekiro. The only penalty is death and a short run to get back where you were. People just don't want to put in the necessary time to reach the skill that the game requires.

Back a few pages to my original point a few pages back. I play games for fun, not to practice skills that are only of use in one videogame. It’s one thing if the game gives you options to your approach, but it’s disrespectful to my time the way Sekiro is set up.

caldrax
Jan 21, 2001

i learned it from watching you
To the guy who said nobody expects music or movies to be "accessible" - people absolutely do this, having worked in a music store and a movie theater, people will say they want a refund because they didn't like the movie, or didn't like the album. People are entitled everywhere. It's entirely the developer's choice whether to make something accessible, and it should be the responsibility of the individual to do their own work to find out if it will be something for them or not, but people are way too lazy to do that.

Also I do think that The Witness' approach is totally acceptable, as long as people are able to learn that information before they buy the game. Devs shouldn't have to design for every eventuality, it's like parents blaming games for being violent when they couldn't bother to read a warning label. We could have accessibility/difficulty warnings as well, but developers should not be made to change their game so everyone can play it, that's an absurd notion. What's the skill floor? A new gamer at 30 years old can't function through the basic controls of something like Grand Theft Auto at first. Most gamers have been playing since childhood, you can't design every game to cater to people who have barely figured out object permanence.

As for respecting your time, a game doesn't have to do that either, you're in charge of your own self, stop blaming everything else. Look at some reviews first or something.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
Why do people keep trying to bring it back to an "entitled" or "accessibility" argument? I'm not outraged that Sekiro isn't "for me", I'm disappointed that such a fantastic set of gameplay mechanics is wrapped in a game loop that involves so much wasted time. Disrespecting my time is absolutely the number one reason I stop playing games.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
I can't wait to have strong opinions on DS2, 3, and Sekiro. And maybe even Bloodborne...someday....

caldrax
Jan 21, 2001

It's not a game's job to respect your time, your idea of what does or doesn't respect your time is totally subjective, it could even change with your mood on a given day. A game's only job is to deliver what it set out to deliver, it's entirely on you whether you end up finding that enjoyable or "worth your time" or not. You're in charge of how you use your own time, not the game. There's a pretty cool resource called "how long to beat" that will tell you approximately how much time you can expect to spend on a game, maybe consult that before you buy something? I've spent a lot of time getting frustrated by Sekiro, and I haven't even finished it, but all that time I've spent was of my own volition, the developer can't account for that, they're just making a game, they're not Dr. Who or something.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

it's also not your job to respect a game.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

Ghostlight posted:

guys, i'm stuck on frank herbert's description of the golden path - it just seems no matter what i do halfway through the paragraph the text explodes and i have to restart from the previous page. is there like a trick to this prose? don't just tell me to red gud because that's not loving helpful and i've already completed gormenghast so i know it's not just me.

What edition are you reading? That's not a design choice, but a formatting flaw that was common in the 1984 Berkley printing. The 1999 Ace printing addressed that problem, but you might not like the 'enhanced' typesetting they used.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

caldrax posted:

It's not a game's job to respect your time, your idea of what does or doesn't respect your time is totally subjective, it could even change with your mood on a given day. A game's only job is to deliver what it set out to deliver, it's entirely on you whether you end up finding that enjoyable or "worth your time" or not. You're in charge of how you use your own time, not the game. There's a pretty cool resource called "how long to beat" that will tell you approximately how much time you can expect to spend on a game, maybe consult that before you buy something? I've spent a lot of time getting frustrated by Sekiro, and I haven't even finished it, but all that time I've spent was of my own volition, the developer can't account for that, they're just making a game, they're not Dr. Who or something.
Who the gently caress are you talking to? Did I miss somebody claim that Fromsoft forced them to buy and complete Sekiro against their will?

caldrax posted:

A game's only job is to deliver what it set out to deliver
Its job is its only job :hmmyes:

Volte fucked around with this message at 00:45 on Feb 24, 2020

caldrax
Jan 21, 2001

Volte posted:

Who the gently caress are you talking to? Did I miss somebody claim that Fromsoft forced them to buy and complete Sekiro against their will?

You just said Sekiro didn't respect your time. It's a nonsense concept. You're responsible for your own time.

quote:

Its job is its only job :hmmyes:

That's not what that means. The statement means that they create something to the best of their ability, to meet the goals they set. If every developer tried to cater to every player, games would either never get made, or have their edges so sanded down that they backfire and no one likes them. They've gotta stick their neck out somewhere and release something that they themselves would like. They're never going to land every opinion on their side.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

caldrax posted:

You just said Sekiro didn't respect your time. It's a nonsense concept. You're responsible for your own time.
85 loading screens is not being respectful to my time, it's pretty cut and dried.

I'm not even saying they owe it to me. I can easily just not play Sekiro. I'm just saying it's low hanging fruit that would make it palatable to more people. But that would only happen if people voice their displeasure about the status quo. You seem to think that I thought that I wanted to play Sekiro, but it turned out I don't want to. Actually, I really want to play Sekiro, and I like everything about it, except all the wasted time that comes with trying to get better at it.

Volte fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Feb 24, 2020

damn horror queefs
Oct 14, 2005

say hello
I challenge this dishonourable video game to martial combat for disrespecting my time

While u complied code, I studied The Blade

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

caldrax posted:

Developers can make mistakes. I haven't played Sekiro so I'll speak generally, but there's a difference between a game making something take a bunch of time because it's part of what they're trying to do, and making something take a bunch of time because the devs didn't consider it being something people would deal with or because it doesn't bother them or because they didn't think of it, or because they couldn't find a way to make it better or...

A lot of the ways games don't respect time aren't about the things they expect you to do in gameplay, but rather the way they deal with structure and interface (reloading, inventory management, walking speed, mapping, controls, etc) All of those can be intentional, but most of the time they're just imperfect design or execution.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

caldrax
Jan 21, 2001

Volte posted:

85 loading screens is not being respectful to my time, it's pretty cut and dried.

I'm not even saying they owe it to me. I can easily just not play Sekiro. I'm just saying it's low hanging fruit that would make it palatable to more people. But that would only happen if people voice their displeasure about the status quo. You seem to think that I thought that I wanted to play Sekiro, but it turned out I don't want to. Actually, I really want to play Sekiro, and I like everything about it, except all the wasted time that comes with trying to get better at it.

Loading screens? You realize that until the last few years this has been entirely a limitation of technology right? And if they were going to avoid this they'd be having you crawl through a thin corridor like God of War, are you complaining of all the time wasted every time you have to crawl through a duct or something? Games could entirely be construed as a waste of time if you choose to, or you can think fondly on them for what they gave to you or taught you, but again, that's all on you.