Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alien Sex Manual
Dec 14, 2010

is not a sandwich

Eda plots rule, Luz and friends plots are kinda meh. More Owl Lady please.

Also that little gremlin that’s all nose - I don’t care if that’s Dana Terrace’s avatar, I hate it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Alien Sex Manual posted:

Also that little gremlin that’s all nose - I don’t care if that’s Dana Terrace’s avatar, I hate it.

:same:

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I think I'm caught up on Tangled for now. It's a bit of a shame for Eugene to really put to rest the whole debonair rogue bit by becoming Captain of the Guard, but I get that there isn't really much of anywhere else that the show would go with him. Lance is just kinda useless.

It's weird that for all of these confrontations with Cassandra to talk her down, they never bring the one other character who has an emotional connection with her, her adoptive father, who genuinely cares for her, even though he's not great at expressing it. The owl seems like it could also have a place, although Cass never seemed to have any real emotional connection with it.

One thing that seems shallow to me is that whatever Cass actually thinks is her destiny, whatever lines Xintiri is feeding her, she doesn't really seem to have any real goals of her own beyond rejecting Rapunzel. Her whole bit about not believing that she's doing anything wrong would probably fit better if she had something she was striving for beyond the evil machinations of a creepy ghost child.

cant cook creole bream posted:

I really like these reviews. Also, you still have the best song in front of you.
I love this series and I am sad that it is over next week. I hope they stick the landing.

Dunno what you're talking about there. Lost is good, but I still love Line better. Coordinated duets like that are very impressive, but I'm not as good at appreciating them in the moment since it's hard to split my brain between the separate dialogue. I really go more for faster tempos and weirder chord progressions anyways.

Varian as a character is fun and makes a good foil to both characters of higher status like Cassandra and of lower status like Lance, but after they wrapped up the deal with his dad (who still hasn't said much of anything all season, I wonder if there's some issue with his VA), he's got nothing personal going on. I vaguely expected a reveal that he was actually Cassandra's brother from the shared streaky hair.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Alien Sex Manual posted:

Eda plots rule, Luz and friends plots are kinda meh. More Owl Lady please.

Agreed...except for the little gremlin whom I think is hilarious.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Taear posted:

It's even Mae Whitman and I doubt they'd cast someone so famous to be in it so...little? Especially considering the others aren't in many things.

And yea I'm enjoying it but at the same time it's a bit flat.

I mean, her name's Amity, and everything.

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

SlothfulCobra posted:

Episode 16 of Tangled: Plot sighted off the starboard bow! Also the first proper musical numbers.

I know that the fantasy of being a princess is a big part of media targeted at young girls, and a big part of Disney's branding, but I still have a weird antimonarchist gut reflex. It's easier to ignore when there's real plot happening though. The friendship between Rapunzel and Cassandra is weird, since there's such a power disparity from Cassandra being basically a servant half the time.

It's neat that the castle is on a logistically hard to access island, since that's pretty accurate to actual castles.

Yeah, I'm always rooting for someone to bring up democracy. I'm on this episode, and it was a great town musical number. The early episodes featured some villains who all seemed a lot a like, but most of the rest of the season after episode 5 has been great.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I liked that in the latest Tangled episode, it was Cassandra trying to fix things, before Zhan Tiri hosed it up

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
Man someone linked this in the Ducktales thread and now I'm real miffed we aren't getting it (read the thread)

https://twitter.com/FrankAngones/status/1231805331304407040

Frank Angones is the co-creator of the Ducktales reboot.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
I don't even like Rescue Rangers and that sounds like a great idea

tribbledirigible
Jul 27, 2004
I finally beat the internet. The end boss was hard.

Seriously, it's a means to revive 3 dormant IPs from a pure money perspective, which is the Mouse's only perspective.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!
I'm sad that Owl House hasn't got a song at the start. It really feels like it needs one.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

Taear posted:

I'm sad that Owl House hasn't got a song at the start. It really feels like it needs one.

:confused:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BqE6KiijtH0

Edit: That's an unfortunate freeze frame for poor Luz.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

:confused:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BqE6KiijtH0

Edit: That's an unfortunate freeze frame for poor Luz.

Song. That's theme music.

Whiz Palace
Dec 8, 2013
I like The Owl House, but not its theme music. The music kind of goes nowhere and ends in the wrong place.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Whiz Palace posted:

I like The Owl House, but not its theme music. The music kind of goes nowhere and ends in the wrong place.

Especially when you compare it to adventure time or she-ra and etc.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011

Taear posted:

Song. That's theme music.

Well, as far as I am aware theme music is still a song, even without lyrics. But I understand what you're talking about now.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Well, as far as I am aware theme music is still a song, even without lyrics. But I understand what you're talking about now.

I don't know if it's a british/american thing here but I'd never say theme song if there's no singing. Or call anything a song with no singing, honestly.

Even wikipedia says it:

quote:

A song is a musical composition intended to be vocally performed by the human voice. This is often done at distinct and fixed pitches (melodies) using patterns of sound and silence. Songs contain various forms, such as those including the repetition and variation of sections.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

if a band has an instrumental on their album they're not going to say "we have 11 songs on this one, and one that's not a song"

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

The 7th Guest posted:

if a band has an instrumental on their album they're not going to say "we have 11 songs on this one, and one that's not a song"

No but they'll call it an instrumental like you just did!

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Only completely insane people would think that "instrumental" and "song" are two different things.

Amorphous Abode
Apr 2, 2010

We may have finally found unobtainium but I will never find eywa.

Instrumentals are definitely songs, but I have brain problems so if a piece of music has somebody singing lyrics in it, that's not a song, that's garbage.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Funky Valentine posted:

Only completely insane people would think that "instrumental" and "song" are two different things.

Song is lyrics
Instrumental is just music

I dunno, that's....how anyone would see it and how the definition of it comes up too. Owl House has theme music, She-Ra has a theme song.

And I wish that Owl House had a song, because music is boring.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I am mostly just kinda confused, because I never had thought about that distinction. You are technically right. By dictionary terms and by the actual origin of the word, a song is something that's sung. Interestingly, the German word "Lied" seems to work exactly the same.

But I can't really see that topic comming up in actual conversations. If you were having a nice chat with a friend about old movies and he told you that he really loves the Jurassic Park theme song, would you just agree and continue on, or woukd you kill the conversation by arguing that such a thing does not exists?

Also, I am curious. You define a song as having lyrics, so is this a song? There's certainly singing involved.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=i3Q8h-fDfEI

cant cook creole bream fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Feb 26, 2020

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
Instrumentals are a subcategory of Songs.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Music is music, regardless of lyrics. Songs are music with lyrics. instrumentals are songs that usually have lyrics, but the lyrics are missing for a variety of reasons. The overture at the start of every opera? That's an instrumental, a small medley of the tunes that the characters will later sing to.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

thia conversation gave me a stroke

Amorphous Abode
Apr 2, 2010

I only listen to VG BGM and I will fight about it.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
I'm going to keep using song to refer to pieces of music both with and without lyrics because in thirty years this is literally the first time I've seen anyone try to make the distinction.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

The idea was meant to be conveyed was gotten across even if the specific connotations different people have with the word do not jive with eachother.

I think the theme evokes a bit of a harry potter feeling,. If it had a song with lyrics, I don't really know what they'd be about.

BioEnchanted posted:

I liked that in the latest Tangled episode, it was Cassandra trying to fix things, before Zhan Tiri hosed it up

Is that how it's supposed to be spelled? Weird.

The dramatic irony is killing me, and I think Cassandra was probably more effective with just her sword.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

But I can't really see that topic comming up in actual conversations. If you were having a nice chat with a friend about old movies and he told you that he really loves the Jurassic Park theme song, would you just agree and continue on, or woukd you kill the conversation by arguing that such a thing does not exists?

Honestly I've never once heard a person call something a song that hasn't got lyrics.
Jurassic park theme
Star wars theme

Etc.

Amorphous Abode
Apr 2, 2010

Taear posted:

Honestly I've never once heard a person call something a song that hasn't got lyrics.
Jurassic park theme
Star wars theme

Etc.

When people mention Beethoven, do you think they're referring to the soundtrack from the big dog movie

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

The Silver Snail posted:

When people mention Beethoven, do you think they're referring to the soundtrack from the big dog movie

Yea people are always talking about "the songs of beethoven".

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Sometimes the colloquial meaning of a word differs from its definition when used as jargon.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!

SlothfulCobra posted:

The dramatic irony is killing me, and I think Cassandra was probably more effective with just her sword.

100%. I like that Rapunzel and Cassandra both admit that, while Cassandra was in the wrong, she did have legitimate points and it wasn't just black and white. It makes Cass's fall even sadder.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

I loved the Play scene. Just "I don't get it, who's the bad guy?" "IT'S COMPLICATED!"

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I liked that the little girls were going to play those rocks. :3: Also I love the way Cass fights. It's super dynamic and she keeps flipping around. To be honest, I am not a big fan of Zhan Tiri. She's such a central character on the whole history of that world, but seems to lack any real motivation. Just generic primordial evil. I still don't really see an endgame for her shenanigans. Those minions (except Gothel, I guess) tried so hard to bring her back. But for what exactly? I feel like one final long episode is a bit short to establish that.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

I liked that the little girls were going to play those rocks. :3: Also I love the way Cass fights. It's super dynamic and she keeps flipping around. To be honest, I am not a big fan of Zhan Tiri. She's such a central character on the whole history of that world, but seems to lack any real motivation. Just generic primordial evil. I still don't really see an endgame for her shenanigans. Those minions (except Gothel, I guess) tried so hard to bring her back. But for what exactly? I feel like one final long episode is a bit short to establish that.

She's mentioned that by playing the Sundrop and Moonstone against each other, she's going to somehow steal both of their powers while they are distracted. She said that in the Gothel's House episode

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

With her it's less that her goals are unclear and more that she's purposefully keeping secrets. Secrets leading to trouble is either a theme of the show or it's just the key to all farce.

I've been more confused at what exactly Cassandra expects to get out of all of this. She's been really sold on the idea of "having a destiny" that she's given up just about everything for, and even when she knows that she's being manipulated, she's prone to getting carried away by her emotional reactions and her fighting instincts. In theory maybe she could get talked down, but between her aggression and confusion, it's hard to know what might work. Maybe that's also the stone loving with her head.

I like that the owl was a better friend to her than she was to it.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011

SlothfulCobra posted:

I like that the owl was a better friend to her than she was to it.

She didn't even bother to name the poor thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!

SlothfulCobra posted:

I've been more confused at what exactly Cassandra expects to get out of all of this. She's been really sold on the idea of "having a destiny" that she's given up just about everything for, and even when she knows that she's being manipulated, she's prone to getting carried away by her emotional reactions and her fighting instincts. In theory maybe she could get talked down, but between her aggression and confusion, it's hard to know what might work. Maybe that's also the stone loving with her head.

Honestly, I think that she doesn't have any real plan. Her goal was to make Rapunzel sad, and Zhan Tiri basically twisted that into helping her do what she did. She was just lashing out wildly, and Zhan Tiri directed it in a way that kept her angry and also under control.