Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

"Science is not only compatible with spirituality; it is a profound source of spirituality."

-Carl Sagan

chernobyl kinsman posted:

read more aickman

kiernan sucks bad im sorry. just bog standard lovecraft fanfic with some truly repellant prose

yeah evenson is really good

langan also sucks sorry. balingrud rules tho

ligotti is of course prince of this thread

e: actually read kiernan and langan because i think theyll make you mad and ill enjoy reading your posts about them

I loving loved the fisherman if only for the scene on the primordial coast- it was so vivid.

He short stories though were mostly meh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
While I’m not done reading The Elementals, I am definitely done reading it before bed.

Anomalous Blowout
Feb 13, 2006

rock
ice
storm
abyss

It makes no attempt to sound human. It is atoms and stars.

Also wasn't a fan of Ghosts and kept waiting for the good, meaningful parts to show up because people kept saying they were there. Also I felt like the weird dad stuff needed more foreshadowing to not feel like a twist for the sake of a twist.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
ghosts did nothing for me as well, the framing device (devices? they kind of nested into one another) was tedious

Growing Things was better, though the only story from the collection that still sticks out in my head is "___________"

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

a friend of the friendly atom

Soiled Meat

sephiRoth IRA posted:

I loving loved the fisherman if only for the scene on the primordial coast- it was so vivid.

He short stories though were mostly meh.

that poo poo sucked dude it was just tryhard dark fantasy garbage. the book tries to position itself as though its A Story About the Hudson Valley like stephen king's books are Stories About Maine but it could have been set in any vaguely wooded place on earth without any loss at all. also the frame narrative flashback bit where the narrator is like "Wow its so spooky that i remember verbatim every word this guy at a bar said to me" sucked poo poo

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Chernobyl were you the one who rec'd Twenty Days of Turin way back?

yea

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

20 Days in Turin rocked

Fisherman was meh. Had good points destroyed by affected try hard prose

I would suggest Laird Barron's Imago Sequence because I want to see your posts about the Black Sloth

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

"Science is not only compatible with spirituality; it is a profound source of spirituality."

-Carl Sagan
Eh, I admit a lot of that story wasn’t great, but that scene on the beach of a giant serpent chained through the sheer grief-fueled will of a sorcerer was beautiful. I am very fond of the pacific nw coasts though, so maybe the bleakness of the scene played on my nostalgia.

hallelujah
Jan 26, 2020

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
i am, myself, a coast of great desolation

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Bilirubin posted:

I would suggest Laird Barron's Imago Sequence because I want to see your posts about the Black Sloth
Actually this is a great idea.

Anyhow, is there any other must read McDowell other than Blackwater and The Elementals? I tried The Amulet and honestly wasn't too impressed, felt a bit too like Stephen King. Then again, it was his first novel, so any other recommendations?

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Ok, putting together a list

Night Film by Marisha Pessl
The Drowning Girl by Caitlin R. Kiernan
Fever Dream by Samanta Schweblin
White is for Witching by Helen Oyeyemi
The Fisherman by John Langan
Song for the Unraveling of the World by Brian Evenson
The Toll by Cherie Priest
A Lush and Seething Hell by John Hornor Jacobs
Songs of a Dead Dreamer and Grimscribe by Thomas Ligotti
North American Lake Monsters by Nathan Ballingrud

The Red Tree by Kiernan is supposed to be good (She's never gelled with me)

The Blind Owl by Sadegh Hedayat is a Iranian classic

Michael Cisco's work is more weird than horror but still worth tracking down, The Wretch of The Sun is him working in the horror mode.

Kathe Koja's The Cipher is a classic for a reason

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Get rid of The Drowning Girl which is boring deranged rambling and get

fez_machine posted:

Kathe Koja's The Cipher

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

anilEhilated posted:

Actually this is a great idea.

Anyhow, is there any other must read McDowell other than Blackwater and The Elementals? I tried The Amulet and honestly wasn't too impressed, felt a bit too like Stephen King. Then again, it was his first novel, so any other recommendations?

Cold Moon Over Babylon is cool but its weird because it is definitely his most superficial novel. I enjoyed it, but it has no ambition greater than to read like a spec script for an episode of Tales From the Crypt. It has a really cool twist halfway through though that simultaneously briefly elevates it but then also kind of leaves it with little to move the story forward.

It also exposes my one genuine problem with McDowell, which is that his villains are terrible. His characters are so well written and so human and so meditated but when there is a "bad guy" in his stories they are always just "bad dudes".

Like, every character in the Elementals is really well written and really great to read about and then Lawton pops up and is just such a superficial "bad guy"

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

Has anyone mentioned Bartlett's The Stay-Awake Men? It's a fantastic collection, up there with Evenson's short story collections.

EDIT: Or Jeremy Robert Johnson's Entropy in Bloom?

a foolish pianist fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Feb 21, 2020

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
i like JRJ but the original request was for literary horror and he's pulpy as the day is long

been a while since he's published anything, now that i think about it

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming
Someone recommended The Ruins to me. I haven't read it yet, but I came across a Scott Smith story in an anthology and thought it was fantastic.

PsychedelicWarlord
Sep 8, 2016

Just finished Teatro Grottesco. Did Ligotti have some sort of stomach ailment IRL

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
Didn't he think one up during surgery on his guts or something?

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
He said the only time he ever felt happy in his life was when he almost died during abdominal surgery

So uh

hallelujah
Jan 26, 2020

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

PsychedelicWarlord posted:

Just finished Teatro Grottesco. Did Ligotti have some sort of stomach ailment IRL
yes lol

hallelujah
Jan 26, 2020

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
all of ligotti's writing is autobiographical, just like ulililia's masters of the universe is autobiographical

it's all about the incomprehensible eldritch horror of being thomas ligotti

PsychedelicWarlord
Sep 8, 2016

I love him :3:

remigious
May 13, 2009

Destruction comes inevitably :rip:

Hell Gem

Oxxidation posted:

i like JRJ but the original request was for literary horror and he's pulpy as the day is long

been a while since he's published anything, now that i think about it

He has a new book coming, The Loop, this September :)

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

Soiled Meat
david tibet wrote a piece called Soft Black Star: On Knowing Tom Ligotti which you can find on google books and which isn't very interesting except for two things: 1) ligotti loves surf rock, the moody blues, and my bloody valentine and 2) this

quote:

Tom once wrote to me that he was working towards achieving an effect in his prose style that would make his stories read as if they had been awkwardly translated from some Eastern European language into English.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
Good I fuckin love our boy Tom

Also Jesus of fuckin course he and David Tibet are friends

hallelujah
Jan 26, 2020

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
the moody blues omg they're my dad's favourite

hallelujah
Jan 26, 2020

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
ligotti's grandmother was polish and he said that being told horrifying polish fairytales was a major part of his childhood

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
Thomas Ligotti seems like the kind of dude I would force to get drunk and watch Wrestlemania

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

I would give Thomas Ligotti extreme noogies and probably a zerbert.

hallelujah
Jan 26, 2020

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

hallelujah posted:

ligotti's grandmother was polish and he said that being told horrifying polish fairytales was a major part of his childhood
and the other side of his family

hallelujah
Jan 26, 2020

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
(i have no evidence that guy is related to doleful tom. but look inside your heart)

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

I hope Ligotti gets kicked in the head by a horse a year before his death and it cures his anhedonia so he can experience something other than existential dread before he goes. :unsmith:

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

Black Griffon posted:

I hope Ligotti gets kicked in the head by a horse a year before his death and it cures his anhedonia so he can experience something other than existential dread before he goes. :unsmith:

might help that but it might also interfere with his ability to pass the salt

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

Soiled Meat
the least surprising thing to me about ligotti's background is that he's ex-catholic. only catholics and jews can manage that kind of existential despair

Conrad_Birdie
Jul 10, 2009

I WAS THERE
WHEN CODY RHODES
FINISHED THE STORY
Was hungover as poo poo this morning and had an hour+ train ride to my apartment but I read Ligotti’s “Vastarien” on the way back and he rocks so much it made the trip bearable and I lol’d when he called the little guy a “human crow.”

the_enduser
May 1, 2006

They say the user lives outside the net.

Horror Thread: Gotti gang, Gotti gang, Gotti gang (Gotti gang!)

dms666
Oct 17, 2005

It's Playoff Beard Time! Go Pens!

sephiRoth IRA posted:

I enjoyed a lush and seething hell by John Horner Jacobs. The first novella was extremely effective. The second wasn’t great, too cliched with the writing too stilted, but it’s worth it for the first one.

I actually just finished this as well and agree with your review as well. Have you read anything else by him? If so, any recommendations?

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

-Carl Sagan

dms666 posted:

I actually just finished this as well and agree with your review as well. Have you read anything else by him? If so, any recommendations?

That was my first one, unfortunately! Although I will say, I picked up evensons “song for the unraveling of the world” and it’s fuckin great

The only dud so far is “glistening world”- can someone explain that one to me because I’m apparently a dummy?

Fav stories so far are cardiacs and room tone, although hole and tower were good too.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
Two interesting Ballingrud news tidbits:

- Monsterland season 1 (the Hulu adaptation of NALM) wrapped filming on 2/10, so hopefully there's some sort of official announcement soon?
- He's nearing completion on his next book, "The Strange", and it's a "dark Martian fantasy" novel.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

dms666 posted:

Southern Gods is an alright book, it's a cosmic horror book set in the US south in the '50s. It's not revolutionary or anything and leans more into action than creeping dread kind of horror but I enjoyed it. I also liked The Incorruptibles but that's not really horror at all. A lot of what Hornor has out right now isn't really explicitly horror honestly, a lot of it falls in the "weird fiction" camp or something adjacent. Incorruptibles is sort of an alternate-history western where the Holy Roman Empire controls early America, devil summoning exists, and guns are basically powered by hellfire.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

COOL CORN posted:

- He's nearing completion on his next book, "The Strange", and it's a "dark Martian fantasy" novel.

What the gently caress hell yes?