Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...

Phlegmish posted:

It's always interesting to me that people will go through the effort of creating a graph or whatever while not bothering to look up how to spell the handful of words on it. Testicle is not even an obscure word

The statesticals don't lie :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic

Somfin posted:

Another one advertising the same bad scatter plot site. I don't think it's meant to be understandable but even so this is something else.

Tag yourself; I have 9.8 diabeteses for 30% of my obesity.

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?

Watermelon Daiquiri posted:

Presented without comment

Man I had forgotten about this masterpiece

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret

Blue Moonlight posted:

Tag yourself; I have 9.8 diabeteses for 30% of my obesity.

Whoa 9.8 diabeteses!?! That's getting close to 9.4 diabeteses!

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

Are diabeteses on a logarithmic scale?

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

Somfin posted:

Another one advertising the same bad scatter plot site. I don't think it's meant to be understandable but even so this is something else.

Are those all created as parodies? Third one in a similar style and two have the X axis messed up in the same way (for the third the X axis doesn't have value labels).

I get what they are going for but I don't think that graph really maps out what the commentary says...

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Munin posted:

Are those all created as parodies? Third one in a similar style and two have the X axis messed up in the same way (for the third the X axis doesn't have value labels).
I have been really struggling that the world would let these charts exist as advertising. I've had to come to the conclusion the advertiser man responsible is actually several babies in a suit in constant fear other functions in the company are going to find out he got hired without knowing how plotting works, because he is actually several babies.

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

Captain Hygiene posted:

WaPo's infographics aren't so much awful as they are just weird. I can't think about anything except Bernie hiding from the old folks while Joe sneaks up for a little peep.

That kind of shenanigans always reminds me of this.

https://youtu.be/-h3evMfrxpI

(At last they didn't cut anyone's head off, I gotta admit having them peek up like that made me giggle.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

https://youtu.be/wJs3Tsx-3Ak

those guys are obviously swedish not german but I don't care

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
Remember that thing a little while ago where a bunch of news outlets were reporting about the massive carbon footprint of streaming videos?

https://twitter.com/DrSimEvans/status/1232311458144362503

The graph is fine but the original analysis turned out to be truly reprehensible. Shift Project saw a figure of "3Mbps" and decided that meant "3 megabytes per second".

The whole article is worth reading, Factcheck: What is the carbon footprint of streaming video on Netflix?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Memento posted:

The graph is fine but the original analysis turned out to be truly reprehensible. Shift Project saw a figure of "3Mbps" and decided that meant "3 megabytes per second".

That’s a stunning display of tech illiteracy.

That’s like losing the oil cap on a car and asking for a replacement “710” cap.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Memento posted:

Remember that thing a little while ago where a bunch of news outlets were reporting about the massive carbon footprint of streaming videos?

https://twitter.com/DrSimEvans/status/1232311458144362503

The whole article is worth reading, Factcheck: What is the carbon footprint of streaming video on Netflix?

This came up on BBC4's excellent More or Less programme as well. Well worth a listen if you like stats in the media in general.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
https://twitter.com/felixsalmon/status/1233083731101069314?s=19

:hmmyes:

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

I knew something was wrong because the chart obviously didn't map to rich/poor states, or to the states that refused Medicaid expansion. It took me a minute to finally see it :psyduck:

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

i think right angles might be an abomination against nature you guys
Lipstick Apathy

Lutha Mahtin posted:

I knew something was wrong because the chart obviously didn't map to rich/poor states, or to the states that refused Medicaid expansion. It took me a minute to finally see it :psyduck:

UT on Texas got me.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
poo poo never mind. I swear I scrolled through to the end looking for it.

Phanatic has a new favorite as of 21:35 on Feb 27, 2020

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

I thought this was now the third thread it showed up in but nah it's just 3 posts after it was already in this thread

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

quote:

Correction: A map in a previous version of this story contained incorrect information.

But this doesn’t answer the “huh wuh how?” question that keeps going through my head.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
Just for the curious, here's the correct states, and I drew a line around states that did not implement medicaid expansion.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
I'm wondering how the initial map happened. They probably had some automatic scripting thing that hosed up the labelling but it's more fun to think that it was just someone trying to label all the states from memory, but they had never actually seen a map of the US before.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

it's probably a boring reason like somebody clicking the wrong sort button in excel and then not proofreading the chart output

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Lutha Mahtin posted:

it's probably a boring reason like somebody clicking the wrong sort button in excel and then not proofreading the chart output
Yeah most of the states are one off, starting with DE or FL as far as I can tell. FL is the first state alphabetically showing the wrong postal abbreviation, and DE isn't included.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

CannonFodder posted:

Yeah most of the states are one off, starting with DE or FL as far as I can tell. FL is the first state alphabetically showing the wrong postal abbreviation, and DE isn't included.

Yep, it took some thinking but WY->AL, WI->WY, and ID->IL were the ones that jumped out. Not sure what's up with the empty ones.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Lutha Mahtin posted:

I am definitely prepared to blame Excel for this.

Unperson_47
Oct 14, 2007

A book of chess puzzles but it's puzzles to figure out why chart and graph data make no sense, excluding ones that straight up try to deceive for further an agenda. (those go in another puzzle book)

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

ultrafilter posted:

I am definitely prepared to blame Excel for this.

PYF Awful/Funny Graphs and Charts: I Am Definitely Prepared To Blame Excel For This

SerialKilldeer
Apr 25, 2014

Reminds me of this:

Unperson_47 posted:

A book of chess puzzles but it's puzzles to figure out why chart and graph data make no sense, excluding ones that straight up try to deceive for further an agenda. (those go in another puzzle book)

I've done exercises like that in data visualization/statistics courses. I recall one featuring that "hole left by the Christian Dark Ages" chart.

SerialKilldeer has a new favorite as of 11:33 on Feb 28, 2020

HerStuddMuffin
Aug 10, 2014

YOSPOS
Certainly you mean the Finnish-Korean hyperwar?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Principal components (PC) analysis of sensory data rating ‘Minnie Finger Lime’ over four harvests (H1, 25 June; H2, 16 July; H3, 6 Aug.; H4, 4 Sept.) and at three ripeness stages: green, mottled, and yellow. Circles around the means (10 panelists) represent 95% confidence intervals.

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

im Pops_In_Mouth

jeebus bob
Nov 4, 2004

Festina lente

from the Kaiser Family Foundation https://www.kff.org/global-health-policy/fact-sheet/coronavirus-tracker/

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
If you want to take a shot at me get in line, line
1 2 3!
Baby, I've had all my shots and I'm fine
nnnng yet another map where French Guiana is dumbly separated from France. Not to mention Svalbard and Norway.

All of this not taking away from the fact that this map is horrible.

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

Svalbard is safe but stay away from October Revolution Island.

HerStuddMuffin
Aug 10, 2014

YOSPOS

Golbez posted:

nnnng yet another map where French Guiana is dumbly separated from France. Not to mention Svalbard and Norway.

All of this not taking away from the fact that this map is horrible.
I don’t know, I think it makes its point very clearly, if the point is that there’s a small outbreak in China and the rest of the world is freaking out over nothing (ok, over a common cold.)

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
If you want to take a shot at me get in line, line
1 2 3!
Baby, I've had all my shots and I'm fine

HerStuddMuffin posted:

I don’t know, I think it makes its point very clearly, if the point is that there’s a small outbreak in China and the rest of the world is freaking out over nothing (ok, over a common cold.)

Only because the scale is warped by making it linear. Iran, Italy, and South Korea are colored to have the same number of cases as Sri Lanka, despite having thousands of times more cases. But because China has 15x as many as those countries, it's crowding out the top of the scale.

It's a useless map.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Ornamental Dingbat posted:

Svalbard is safe but stay away from October Revolution Island.

I was asked to list countries I had visited recently today, Svalbard was a menu choice for some reason.

Albino Squirrel
Apr 25, 2003

Miosis more like meiosis

Elviscat posted:

I was asked to list countries I had visited recently today, Svalbard was a menu choice for some reason.
Svalbard has a somewhat weird status - it's not part of any Norwegian county (though it is part of the Kingdom of Norway) and is an entirely visa-free zone. Hence the former Soviet mining colonies on Norwegian land. Although it's not a dependency and I'd count it as part of Norway if I was listing countries I'd visited.

By contrast the Russian Arctic islands are attached to one of the 85 federal subjects of the Russian Federation broken up into five types you will learn in our explanation and are more 'normal' bits of land.

Edit: also Svalbard apparently has no representation in the Storting, because the constituencies are equivalent to Norwegian counties.

Albino Squirrel has a new favorite as of 00:34 on Mar 4, 2020

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Better than the original.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Carbon dioxide posted:

Better than the original.

I've had the goddamn original song popping up in my head since it was linked in the maps thread a few days ago. This may help clear it out.