Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

i travel for work and have generally been pretty happy with delta. they're still an american airline though so you can only expect so much

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Blame it on the misfortune of your bark!
Fun Shoe

PokeJoe posted:

Alaska is ok but their hq is where I live so there's lots of decent flights. ymmv

I've been flying with them a lot in the last couple years (out of SFO) and they're so much better that United it's comical

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
90% of my air travel is up and down the west coast so southwest works for me. low price, low frills, they get you where you need to go without too much hassle. im a fan

dont fly them cross country though. oof.

FMguru fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Feb 21, 2020

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

CrazyLittle posted:

at least you're good until they smash your head into an armrest and drag you off the plane by your feet

srs question though - is there a non-poo poo airline at this point?

all US carriers are bad and United is the worst of them

also re star alliance, silver is watered down plebe poo poo and you don’t get any real bennies until you hit gold

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008
delta is pretty good except for the union busting stuff

alaska is pretty good if you're on, or going to, the best coast

southwest is pretty great if you're traveling on your own (or don't mind getting split up) and just want to get somewhere cheaply and effectively

I've heard good things about jetblue but they're east coast and i never go there

Icelandair is pretty good for getting between US and EU. Canadair is... fine, I guess, not great not terrible, but I've only flown with them once

united is garbage, frontier is garbage for clowns, I think american and spirit are also awful but I've avoided them so long I'm not 100% sure anymore.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

union busting aside delta gets some props for telling the state of georgia to gently caress off with the anti gay and transphobic legislation as well as when the state gov made a stink about delta cutting off the NRA's old travel deals.

as a result new and existing transpacific and transatlantic routes are going to SEA/LAX/MSP and DTW/JFK/BOS respectively

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

frontier is so bad I've paid double for an alaska ticket on the same route and it's only a 2 hour flight

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

qirex posted:

frontier is so bad I've paid double for an alaska ticket on the same route and it's only a 2 hour flight

i'll say the same re: jetblue. they've stranded me twice at long beach because they do zero preventative maintenance on their planes so poo poo is always broken

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I like southwest because I mostly fly alone and I pay the $15 to skip to the front of the line

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice
alaska wouldn’t let me apply a fare difference to a change fee, is that a normal thing

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

I like southwest because I mostly fly alone and I pay the $15 to skip to the front of the line

paying to sit in the aircraft for longer?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

on southwest it matters because then you get to choose a seat you want. on other airlines it matters because you can get an overhead bin near your seat

Poopernickel
Oct 28, 2005

electricity bad
Fun Shoe
proest move for Southwest is to board after 40% of passengers have boarded, then you can pick who's going to be next to you

that way we can all be sure we're sitting next to a f u c c b o i

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

improve the lives of everyone

Turnquiet posted:

getting pretty loving tired of genuflecting before executives

Corla Plankun fucked around with this message at 15:10 on Mar 5, 2020

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Corla Plankun posted:

in my first 1-on-1 meeting with the new cto they asked me how i was and I said I was frustrated and (calmly) told them why and it was painfully obvious later that theyre definitely not okay with me speaking candidly at all lol

jokes on them though 'cause i found a new dang job already

whoever claims speaking truth to power is good career advice is either a complete moron or a very smart man (but not b/c it's a good advice)

I just wanted to make that joke I don't necessarily believe that as with everything it goes both ways depending on how much of a dick your boss is

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
speaking truth to power is a quick way to find out whether your boss can handle the truth

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

thats why FAE/sales is a great job, you can phrase everything as "our customers think our products are poo poo"

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Jabor posted:

speaking truth to power is a quick way to find out whether your boss can handle the truth
narrator voice: he couldn’t

Poopernickel
Oct 28, 2005

electricity bad
Fun Shoe

Jabor posted:

tbh, speaking truth to power is really bad advice unless the "truth" is "things are great, boss"

Your boss is a person too and has feelings, and probably is partly to blame for whatever bullshit you're complaining about. You can crap on them a couple of times and get away with it, but do it too often and you'll find yourself sidelined or fired.

Poopernickel
Oct 28, 2005

electricity bad
Fun Shoe
Imagine if you had an intern who did nothing but criticize your work - that's probably not an intern you'd want to spend time around.

Poopernickel fucked around with this message at 16:38 on Feb 22, 2020

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice
there are options between “everything is great” and “you suck”

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

yeah don’t just walk in and be all “this sucks, you suck and you should feel bad”. come with constructive ideas and options to fix the thing you don’t like.

if you walk in looking to complain and don’t have ideas to fix it then just don’t say anything.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki
there is only one appropriate opinion of your work conditions when speaking to management in our glorious union-free capitalist joyscape:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=StTqXEQ2l-Y

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry
awww sheeeeit this dude should have lit the yosbeacon like two weeks earlier

Computer Serf posted:

So I asked for a raise and now management is aggressively asking me to document a handbook on my responsibilities and common procedures etc, is it a bad idea to negotiate?

I’m pretty sure they could just pay a consultant to figure out most of what needs to be documented?

Computer Serf posted:

It might be because I mentioned I had an offer elsewhere but was open to staying if they gave me a raise.

Sickening posted:

Do you actually have an offer somewhere else?

Computer Serf posted:

:smugbert: lol no

but i would be okay taking time off and going back to university

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

:lmao:

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

“document your responsibilities” can in the least likely scenario be “we need ammo to go gunning for your raise”, or “we have no idea what you’re doing but we’re ready to bet we can find someone to do it all (once you tell us what it is) for cheaper”, which is far stupider but also far likelier

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

if your boss needs ammunition for your raises they will tell you (if they're a good boss)

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

bad bosses don't try very hard to get their reports raises anyway

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

You missed the part where he admitted to reading his bosses e-mail.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

The Fool posted:

You missed the part where he admitted to reading his bosses e-mail.

lol what

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Computer Serf posted:

Okay well to add to this they did give me a little bump in salary, and I randomly found an email printed out where the main department boss suggested I get the rate I asked for but the new VP was like “I’ll bet we can get away with 1/2 the difference”

And someone else (main department manager) apparently recently pulled this off saying they were moving out of state in two weeks, and then they changed their mind, as if

Computer Serf posted:

it’s almost like (cool) main boss guy wanted me to see that because both him and the VP have their own printers but they do both compulsively print everything out and sometimes they’ll use the shared printer because it’s faster.

or maybe the gangster computer god was throwing me a bone on that one :worship:

Basically, he found the printed out e-mail, "went, oh my boss did this on purpose and wants me to ask for a raise" then pretended to have another offer.

The Fool fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Feb 24, 2020

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

lomarf

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

had a phone tech screen again today and got the rare pleasure of using an ide. i think they're gonna move me forward

drunk mutt
Jul 5, 2011

I just think they're neat
What is with companies these days wanting one to write NodeJS bullshit all the while maintaining the entire infrastructure and the CI/CD pipeline?

I recently walked out of an interview that literally wanted me to write a complete API that responded to four URI's with different requirements, then write the Ansible/Terraform to deploy the solution AND (get this AND) the entire CI/CD pipeline with a build job that ensured the URI's responded correctly.

I'd like to think I exited that one nicely, but I'm pretty sure I was irritable as gently caress while I found the nicest way possible to just leave.

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

They want free work OP

drunk mutt
Jul 5, 2011

I just think they're neat

Not a Children posted:

They want free work OP

That's what I imagined.

It's very tiresome to be borderline management (just haven't been deemed the title in the last decade) and get these types of time sinks.

I'm starting to think that when I see "DevOps" I should just steer clear? Just sucks as I'm really good at what was once the definition, and would be a nice comfy position for me to take the time to learn me up on some management skills.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

devops has the same curse as javascript

it’s flavours of the month all the way down

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki
[quote="drunk mutt" post="502748889"]
What is with companies these days wanting one to write NodeJS bullshit all the while maintaining the entire infrastructure and the CI/CD pipeline?

I recently walked out of an interview that literally wanted me to write a complete API that responded to four URI's with different requirements, then write the Ansible/Terraform to deploy the solution AND (get this AND) the entire CI/CD pipeline with a build job that ensured the URI's responded correctly.

I'd like to think I exited that one nicely, but I'm pretty sure I was irritable as gently caress while I found the nicest way possible to just leave.
[/quote

the oft-complained about union rules requiring that an electrician and no one else plug in a thing sounds more and more appealing.

you want someone to do all your deployment poo poo you hire someone to do it. poo poo's a full time job. sure you have someone take time out from their other job to do a half-assed version based on a 3-minute read of a tutorial and a few stackoverflow answers, but gently caress that poo poo. do it right.

double lol at someone asking that for an interview.

buttchugging adderall
May 7, 2007

COME GET SOME
I have found that most people who ask for a DevOps guy are either:

1. Not aware of what it even is and are just aware that you're supposed to have it. These people CAN be ok to work for if they're willing to listen but it's a crap shoot and I avoid them.

2. Know they need a dev, know they need an operations person (system engineer), but either have budget for one role or are too cheap to pay for the two people they need. They figure hiring a DevOps guy means you get both! These people are awful and I avoid them even harder.

Neither of these people understand that DevOps isn't a job role, it's a work culture thing, and it frustrates the hell out of me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chopstick Dystopia
Jun 16, 2010

lowest high and highest low loser of: WEED WEE
k

buttchugging adderall posted:

Neither of these people understand that DevOps isn't a job role, it's a work culture thing, and it frustrates the hell out of me.

This might have been true when the term was coined but now DevOps means the Infrastructure & CI/CD pipeline guys and gals.

Operations Engineer, SRE, DevOps, Release Pipeline Engineer, these can mean exactly the same thing or different things depending on the who you're talking to. In my experience it's mostly the same thing though.

Either way I agree with CMYK BLYAT! that they should all form a powerful union so that I have a good excuse to not do that stuff.