Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

I'm still irrationally angry about The Lodge.

I really liked everything about that movie, but drat does it make me angry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

dorium posted:

Did you feel same way about Goodnight Mommy? I need to rewatch that one

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

I was very angry that they showed a trailer for Invisible Man before my screening of The Lodge that apparently gives away the entire movie? What the hell.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

COOL CORN posted:

One Cut of the Dead, how the credits rolled like 30 minutes into it

Oh duh. Of course.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

dorium posted:

This is kind of how I rate movies now. If it awakens any emotion in my cold, dead soul then it gets an A!

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

General audiences like that more.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

The Invisible Man is a 90 year old movie based on a 120 year old book, so uhhhh

Were you upset that Peter Jacksons king kong trailer said thered be a giant monkey?

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Shrecknet posted:

Were you upset that Peter Jacksons king kong trailer said thered be a giant monkey?

This version is clearly not a direct adaptation of either of those though, so I assume the trailer gives away more of the plot than just "there's an invisible man and he's crazy".

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Universal really, really wants me to see that movie. They want me to see it so badly that between trailers and Hulu commercials I've seen the entire thing, so I'm not going to bother going to the theatre to see it.

Shrecknet posted:

It's very really obviously nothing like the original. Shush.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Shrecknet posted:

This trailer seemed to give away almost every plot beat. Maybe no one should see this new movie at all, since they can just go read their grandmother's copy.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Shrecknet posted:

What if it's actually a normal sized monkey, and everyone else is just very small?

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

Did you feel same way about Goodnight Mommy? I need to rewatch that one

I have vague recollections of Goodnight Mommy, I'd need to rewatch that at some point, but maybe not so close to having just seen The Lodge.

Ehud posted:

This is kind of how I rate movies now. If it awakens any emotion in my cold, dead soul then it gets an A!

Basically where I'm at. The Lighthouse has also been stuck in my brain since I saw it. If someone were to actually take me up on my chats about the movie I dont think I'd ever stop talking.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

the new invisible man was given his powers by xenu LMAO

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

So that explains why he did not answer. He had no mouth to answer with. There is nothing left of him but his ears.

flashy_mcflash posted:

I was very angry that they showed a trailer for Invisible Man before my screening of The Lodge that apparently gives away the entire movie? What the hell.

There's been a lot of talk about this trailer being too revealing, so you're definitely not alone. I don't think it's a great trailer but I don't feel like it quite crosses the line into spoiler territory.

And even if I was spoiled I'd still want to check it out because Elisabeth Moss is awesome in everything.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I mean, you know that it's not going to turn out that it was all in her head. But they're telegraphing things to the point where I can predict every plot point and the final tense action sequence beat-for-beat. The pessimist in me says that they gave away every interesting effect with the invisibility gimmick, too.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Sarchasm posted:

There's been a lot of talk about this trailer being too revealing, so you're definitely not alone. I don't think it's a great trailer but I don't feel like it quite crosses the line into spoiler territory.

And even if I was spoiled I'd still want to check it out because Elisabeth Moss is awesome in everything.

I didn't know this as I've been avoiding trailers/discussion of it, but it seems valid to me. Id much prefer a more minimalist approach like the posters seemed to be going with.

I'm seeing it Wednesday and it looks like it'll be great but if rather not know about the mental institution in particular. Personal preference, I guess.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
I'll be seeing The Invisible Man in theaters because, as a true fan of horror, I don't let lame trailers scare me away. It's also 2 hours of movie and 2 minutes of trailer, so I doubt it's spoiling too much.

Plus, this is Leigh Wannell's follow-up to Upgrade, which was also lambasted for having a too-revealing trailer, and was awesome. And also, the last few movies I saw with "revealing" trailers had purposefully misleading trailers. (Come To Daddy, especially.)

edit: Also, The Invisible Man mixed with #MeToo movement themes and PTSD of abuse? With Elizabeth Moss at the center? Yeah, sign me up.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

just bought a ticket for the early bird showing of The Invisible Man.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Get ready for Price Time, Bitch

Someone needs to watch the new Invisible Man and let me know how intense it is. It looks incredible.

Also all horror movies are gay hth.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

what does hth mean

The Senator Giroux
Jul 9, 2006
Dead Ringer

Kvlt! posted:

what does hth mean

Hope that helps

hth

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

On another topic, I was browsing the film permit section on my municipal government's website, as I am wont to do, and there's a production called Luz shooting here in Toronto over the summer. That was pretty fast if they're already doing a remake.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

I havent even watched the original yet for there to be a remake already.

what a shame.

tho there needs to be a US remake of the remake because I wont watch foreign films. :colbert:

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

dorium posted:

tho there needs to be a US remake of the remake because I wont watch foreign films. :colbert:

Any particular reason for that?

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

Basebf555 posted:

Any particular reason for that?

because i dont like to read :colbert:

JOKES

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

dorium posted:

:catstare:

Where's my ban button...

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
Is it a hot take if I think Hollow Man is good? Because it is.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

The Senator Giroux posted:

Hope that helps

hth

it did thank you.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

Origami Dali posted:

I remember thinking when I watched it as a kid that I was definitely too young to be watching that movie as valentine from termors rapes a woman. that kinda hosed me up.

havent revisited it since.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Origami Dali posted:

I haven't seen it, but if there's anything I know about Paul Verhoeven, it's that you have to watch the movie and decide for yourself if it's Good.

I technically hear/read people say Showgirls is bad, but then I watch Showgirls and it rules. So it goes for each of his movies (although no one says anything bad about RoboCop).

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Origami Dali posted:

Nope Hollow Man was pretty popular when it came out but for whatever reason it's mostly forgotten. It made almost 200 million, which was still a good haul in 2000. It's a Verhoeven film too, you don't hear that mentioned very often.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Started out with season 3 of Channel Zero and it was pretty good. The surrealist imagery and themes kind of clashed with the basic cable style and structure sometimes, and ultimately I didn't find it particularly spooky as much as quirky. It was still a pretty fun watch though with some cool imagery and mostly entertaining story.

Moved on to season 4 and I'm finding the story more interesting so far. Still not particualrly scary or anything though. Is this whole show themed around doors? Season 3 was about mystery doors, Season 4 is about mystery doors, and one of the seasons I haven't watched is called "the Dream Door"

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I'm pretty sure Dream Door is Season 4.

There is a door thing in No End House though. I can't remember if doors are important in Candle Cove. I guess "what's behind that strange door" is just an easy horror go to.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007
I remember seeing Hollow Man in theaters and thinking it was kinda dumb and I remember laughing at the cg gorilla and the skinless cg peen. That’s a 20 year old memory though so :shrug:

Franchescanado posted:

I haven't seen it, but if there's anything I know about Paul Verhoeven, it's that you have to watch the movie and decide for yourself if it's Good.

I technically hear/read people say Showgirls is bad, but then I watch Showgirls and it rules. So it goes for each of his movies (although no one says anything bad about RoboCop).

I also saw this 20+ years ago and all I can remember is boobs, really clunky dialog, and boobs. Also the poster, which is Jessie Spano’s leg.

Drunkboxer fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Feb 24, 2020

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
I watched Dead Birds (2004), I noticed a lot of reviews of it on Letterboxd were very positive about the performances selling it but it fell pretty flat for me despite a pretty good and moody first act with some nice lighting and stuff. The digital effects are very rough too which is a shame as the few practical moments in the movie are nicely executed. Folks here might want to give it a chance for being a haunted house movie set during the US Civil War. The plot summaries online make it sound like a zombie movie and there is a creature at times but it's a ghosts/haunted house thing to the end.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Drunkboxer posted:

I remember seeing Hollow Man in theaters and thinking it was kinda dumb and I remember laughing at the cg gorilla and the skinless cg peen. That’s a 20 year old memory though so :shrug:

I also saw this 20+ years ago and all I can remember is boobs, really clunky dialog, and boobs. Also the poster, which is Jessie Spano’s leg.

Sounds like you've found your double feature for this week.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

Franchescanado posted:

Sounds like you've found your double feature for this week.

I don’t know. I don’t want to erase these precious boob and peen memories with newer “accurate” ones.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

STAC Goat posted:

I'm pretty sure Dream Door is Season 4.

There is a door thing in No End House though. I can't remember if doors are important in Candle Cove. I guess "what's behind that strange door" is just an easy horror go to.

Oh yeah you are right. I was mixing the titles up

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Drunkboxer posted:

I don’t know. I don’t want to erase these precious boob and peen memories with newer “accurate” ones.

There is a very funny pool sex scene that honestly plays out almost like a shark attack, followed almost immediately by a really graphic and upsetting violent rape

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Shrecknet posted:

There is a very funny pool sex scene that honestly plays out almost like a shark attack, followed almost immediately by a really graphic and upsetting violent rape

You're right about both of these, except there's about 30-40 minutes in between these moments. The terrible rape happens during a party scene that is full of dark comedy before it takes a horrible, disturbing turn.

Really, the sexual assault is a horrible scene and a disturbing mark on an otherwise darkly comedic satire, but the movie would be worse without it. It's like how The Neon Demon would be a weirder film if it didn't end in cannibalism and necrophilia. Completely understandable to not want to watch the film for those reasons.