Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

American McGay posted:

Yeah, Sony charged people for it.

Not according to my receipts they didn't, I paid once for some PS3/PS4 cross-platform games, and not just indies. Off the top of my head, rear end Creed Black Flag, Destiny, CoD Ghosts and CoD Advance Warfare all did this, with the latter even also doing it on 360. #wow #whoa #nextgen

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Perhaps check your receipts again.

Red Warrior
Jul 23, 2002
Is about to die!
Going to be interesting to see who follows suit but CDPR being onboard is a promising sign, it's going to start being a real bad look for any third party publishers trying to get people to double dip or even charge for the update.

But I do remember Microsoft pricing their 360 launch titles at $50 trying to get publishers to stick with that price point and them all deciding nah going to go to $60.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

univbee posted:

Off the top of my head, rear end Creed Black Flag, Destiny, CoD Ghosts and CoD Advance Warfare all did this, with the latter even also doing it on 360.

This is absolutely not true

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

American McGay posted:

Perhaps check your receipts again.

The launch titles worked a bit differently, I just re-discovered, where they cost $10 to get the PS4 version as well, although if you pre-ordered back in I think August you got a $10 voucher for every $50 you spent on the store anyway.

Destiny, NBA 2K14 and Advance Warfare were all games you bought once and got them on both platforms for free, though.

I'm sorry Microsoft is bragging about features that were available on the better console seven years ago.

univbee fucked around with this message at 17:42 on Feb 24, 2020

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

univbee posted:

Destiny, NBA 2K14 and Advance Warfare
Quite a list.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

American McGay posted:

Quite a list.

There weren't that many AAA-budget cross-gen games anyway (there were a ton of indies that were PS3-PS4-PSVita cross-buy), the numbers will definitely shake out differently this time, provided publishers don't decide to get weird and just not do it (which is basically what happened with the major PS3-PS4 titles that weren't cross-buy).

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

A slow paced Bungie shooter, yearly iteration of a sports game and CoD are exactly the Series X launch lineup as well.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!

American McGay posted:

Say what you will about their naming conventions or first party offerings, but Microsoft has been at the forefront of pushing for consumer friendly practices in the industry. Unless you view software subscription services as inherently consumer unfriendly then they're also leading the pack in that aspect as well, lol.

We're still talking about the company that thought they had everyone who bought a 360 locked into an ecosystem and then did an entire E3 presentation about how they were going to destroy the concept of owning a videogame, yeah?

Bullying works

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

Intel&Sebastian posted:

We're still talking about the company that thought they had everyone who bought a 360 locked into an ecosystem and then did an entire E3 presentation about how they were going to destroy the concept of owning a videogame, yeah?

Bullying works
I agree.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

American McGay posted:

Unless you view software subscription services as inherently consumer unfriendly then they're also leading the pack in that aspect as well, lol.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc

This is a hilarious testament to how bad xbox got beat this gen because every single active xboner has gamepass and the only people I've ever heard even talk about PSNOW have been some posters here.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Nobody actually pays regular prices for Gamepass.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

This is the SuperData chart that was based on an estimated 2 million+ psnow subscribers before they got shamed with the end of 2018 announcement from Sony that they had just reached 700k subscribers.

Edit: Updated to reflect it used SuperData and as noted their math required somewhere between 2-9 million people using psnow. The entire math basis of this 2 year old data was complete bunk even at the time

Barudak fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Feb 24, 2020

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

Dammit American McGay you've triggered Univbee again

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
It's like ordering pizza from a big chain, the normal prices are only there to scam rich people who are too lazy to click a link to a coupon.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

9.5 million subscribers to Gamepass is like $50.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Is this like how Apple TV+ technically has more subscribers than Disney+ because they gave away a year of it to everyone who so much as walked past a cell phone kiosk in the past 3 months?

Red Warrior
Jul 23, 2002
Is about to die!
One thing about the last generation transition was people switched way faster than anyone had expected. Like immediately in the NPDs the 'next-gen' versions were outselling the current 360/PS3 versions of games. A lot of publishers got caught flatfooted still investing in 360/PS3 versions of games that really didn't sell.

If we get something close to the majority of games supporting cross generation for free that may smooth things out and people might stick with the current gen consoles longer.

The question is going to be how many next-gen only titles we end up getting for the next year or two. Microsoft committing to supporting both gens for a while, third party publishers I'm guessing will largely hedge their bets also, so will Sony really try to differentiate themselves with a slate of first party PS5 only titles or not. I think the answer there for Sony is going to be yes, so how will that shake out.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Sony might have some exclusive games that mainly leverage the insanely fast load times from their storage solution, but that's to be determined. I suspect most third parties will be doing cross-gen for a while, especially if these next consoles are quite pricey, as the PS4 has a ridiculously large install base. Also, if you're not leveraging the increased storage speed in a way that ties into your game's design, there's no reason a 4K60 next gen game couldn't also be made to run on a PS4 at 1080p30 or 900p30 or something.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

im sure lots of devs are going to do cross buy this time even though they didn’t last time on the very popular platform, this generation they will do it on the platform no one bought for sure when everything is backwards compatible

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Stux posted:

im sure lots of devs are going to do cross buy this time even though they didn’t last time on the very popular platform, this generation they will do it on the platform no one bought for sure when everything is backwards compatible

Hell, they already did that this gen.

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

Red Warrior posted:

One thing about the last generation transition was people switched way faster than anyone had expected. Like immediately in the NPDs the 'next-gen' versions were outselling the current 360/PS3 versions of games. A lot of publishers got caught flatfooted still investing in 360/PS3 versions of games that really didn't sell.

If we get something close to the majority of games supporting cross generation for free that may smooth things out and people might stick with the current gen consoles longer.

The question is going to be how many next-gen only titles we end up getting for the next year or two. Microsoft committing to supporting both gens for a while, third party publishers I'm guessing will largely hedge their bets also, so will Sony really try to differentiate themselves with a slate of first party PS5 only titles or not. I think the answer there for Sony is going to be yes, so how will that shake out.

Cross-generational purchases are meant to make upgrading sting less since people won't need to re-buy their favorite games, but you're right that it might backfire and cause people to stick with old hardware longer. I expect Sony to take the same approach as Microsoft and and have most/all of their upcoming games be playable across both generations and give third parties the option to do the same.

At the very least I expect Ghost of Tsushima and Last of Us II to be cross-generational.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

ErrEff posted:

Cross-generational purchases are meant to make upgrading sting less since people won't need to re-buy their favorite games, but you're right that it might backfire and cause people to stick with old hardware longer. I expect Sony to take the same approach as Microsoft and and have most/all of their upcoming games be playable across both generations and give third parties the option to do the same.

At the very least I expect Ghost of Tsushima and Last of Us II to be cross-generational.

theyll be "cross generational" in that theres a good chance they get a "4k remaster" a year later or whatever. i think only microsoft wants to do that because sony and nintendo are too busy doing things like using their studios to make games instead

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

I think it's a safe bet digital copies of the big upcoming games we know about will be free cross-gen (i.e. have a proper upgrade for PS5/Series X that's free for current owners). Final Fantasy VII Remake, Watch_Dogs Legion, Gods and Monsters, Ghost of Tsushima, Last of Us Part II, Cyberpunk 2077...

And I could see games that are already Pro/X enhanced being further enhanced, possibly offering even nicer textures and stuff like that.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

univbee posted:

I think it's a safe bet digital copies of the big upcoming games we know about will be free cross-gen (i.e. have a proper upgrade for PS5/Series X that's free for current owners). Final Fantasy VII Remake, Watch_Dogs Legion, Gods and Monsters, Ghost of Tsushima, Last of Us Part II, Cyberpunk 2077...

And I could see games that are already Pro/X enhanced being further enhanced, possibly offering even nicer textures and stuff like that.

i dont think its a safe bet and i think most games wont do this.

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

Platform wars are stupid. XBox have some pros and cons and PS4 . have some pros and cons.

Has about the news... I like the idea of consoles supporting dynamic refresh rates. It may be interesting for running some games at 40 FPS if they can't deliver 60 FPS.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I believe that saying "oh games will be cross buy ofer the generations" or whatever is only done so people who cant buy a console day one feel better about investing later even though they wont use it and ultimately such programs probably lose money/have no impact on early adopters.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Actually I could see this being pushed a little more as a trojan horse of sorts to get more people on the digital purchasing train. What I think IS a safe bet is that you won't get the proper upgrade if you're using a disc version of whichever game, you'll be stuck with only the code base for the specific gen that disc is for.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Tei posted:

Platform wars are stupid. XBox have some pros and cons and PS4 . have some pros and cons.

Has about the news... I like the idea of consoles supporting dynamic refresh rates. It may be interesting for running some games at 40 FPS if they can't deliver 60 FPS.

dunno if they can do dynamic refresh, do any TVs support that or rates that arent multiples of 24/25/30?

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

theres no more generations did u all miss the email? this is/was the last xbox xbox forever

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

univbee posted:

Actually I could see this being pushed a little more as a trojan horse of sorts to get more people on the digital purchasing train. What I think IS a safe bet is that you won't get the proper upgrade if you're using a disc version of whichever game, you'll be stuck with only the code base for the specific gen that disc is for.

i dont think there is any incentive to do anything, the consoles will already be backwards compatible. microsoft is specifically doing it because they need to regain market share, there is negative incentive to do it if you arent in that situation and its the exact same reason that the ps4 did it coming off the ps3.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

ethanol posted:

theres no more generations did u all miss the email? this is/was the last xbox xbox forever

Even the last generation is a generation. :colbert:

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

Stux posted:

dunno if they can do dynamic refresh, do any TVs support that or rates that arent multiples of 24/25/30?

I have counted 2 technologies in the Xbox SX that support that, so I guess yes?

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Tei posted:

i mean, just because its in the big expensive xbox doesnt mean there is TV support, more likely there for people using it on a computer monitor with opensync

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Tei posted:

That's not how it works. Except for weird niche products like the nvidia one, a TV has 1 specific output refresh rate.

That feature is for monitors.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

Aphrodite posted:

That's not how it works. Except for weird niche products like the nvidia one, a TV has 1 specific output refresh rate.

That feature is for monitors.

I thought the newer LG OLEDs did VRR.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Huh, so they do.

Everything I'm seeing says it's G-Sync though, so it might not actually work with the XbonX? This seems like a univbee question.