Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

i dunno saying you need to get angry from losing is pretty stupid imo

just makes me think of that helmuth guy from the poker episode of pretty good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008

watho posted:

i dunno saying you need to get angry from losing is pretty stupid imo

just makes me think of that helmuth guy from the poker episode of pretty good

As long as you can turn that anger into motivation to improve, :shrug:

If you just get angry and pissy and don't do anything with that, then yeah. Its pretty stupid.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

no i agree with that but he didn’t say you need to channel your anger into bettering yourself or anything like that, just that if you don’t get angry you’ve lost

RobotsLoveSpectres
Dec 29, 2008
Anger isn't necessary to self reflect about how to improve

watho
Aug 2, 2013

RobotsLoveSpectres posted:

Anger isn't necessary to self reflect about how to improve

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Honestly I think that, at least in a fighting game context which is what I'm most familiar with, anger at a loss is a pretty good motivator. Obviously not the only one, there's a lot of motivation you can draw from, but it does feel like, if you are truly interested in playing a game on a competitive level, just writing it off as only a game or just something silly is def the wrong attitude to take. Not to say you should like, go around punching walls or yelling or whatever, but resignation or dismissal just kinda nosells what you're trying to accomplish.

That's not to say that you can't take things from a loss that are good and you can channel that into positive stuff. Learning what to do in certain situations, figuring out that a thing you're doing isn't working, etc, are all fine things to take away and help improve. There's just a spectrum between yelling and throwing stuff and 'I don't care, I'm not invested'.

Bakeneko
Jan 9, 2007

As long as you don’t throw a tantrum about it or otherwise act like a sore loser, there’s nothing wrong with getting angry. It’s a perfectly normal reaction.

RobotsLoveSpectres
Dec 29, 2008
Nothing wrong with not getting angry either despite ninjas claim

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
It's the difference between being upset and being angry, I guess. If you're competitive, losing should upset you. It's just that being angry evokes images of throwing controllers and punching walls, and that's not really a good thing, because you're not channelling the frustration into getting better and instead you're unleashing it on external factors - worst case scenario, an actual human being on the other side of the screen.

Dias fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Feb 24, 2020

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Iirc, Suzi/The Sphere Hunter was recently approached by the Raid Shadow Legends guys and was so blown away she had to talk about it on twitter, because they offer absolutely loving insane rates - she said they gave her an offer for seven thousand dollars an ad, which explains both why they're on so many channels and why they're probably going to crater within a year, because God drat that's a lot of money to throw around for I imagine not a lot of return.

E: found the tweet, I was slightly mistaken in that it wasn't her who was offered 7k, that was someone else in the comments, but it lines up with a lot of other stuff said:

https://twitter.com/thespherehunter/status/1230162042817933312?s=21

Babysitter Super Sleuth fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Feb 24, 2020

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
Keen on the hygiene and on the mission like a super technician.

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

Iirc, Suzi/The Sphere Hunter was recently approached by the Raid Shadow Legends guys and was so blown away she had to talk about it on twitter, because they offer absolutely loving insane rates - she said they gave her an offer for seven thousand dollars an ad, which explains both why they're on so many channels and why they're probably going to crater within a year, because God drat that's a lot of money to throw around for I imagine not a lot of return.

E: found the tweet, I was slightly mistaken in that it wasn't her who was offered 7k, that was someone else in the comments, but it lines up with a lot of other stuff said:

https://twitter.com/CinnamonGhoul/status/1230164417851150336

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

the best part of quinton's video was the juxtaposition of his ending screed about how advertisements should just go away forever and then immediately launching into an extremely over-the-top raid shadow legends ad. it was perfect.

stillvisions
Oct 15, 2014

I really should have come up with something better before spending five bucks on this.

bobjr posted:

The NFL kicker take was way dumber, because this could have just been said a little better it clarified because there are a number of ways to take it.

There are people who suffer from a complete inability to estimate the difficulty of things that they aren't doing. Or more accurately, they assume everything they don't do must be easy.

I remember watching the NBA finals with a guy who was beside themselves that nobody on the NBA had come up with the strategy of "shoot from well behind the half-court while they're not being aggressively defended". When it was pointed out that wasn't easy, his reaction was "well, they're professional basketball players, they should practice until it becomes easy".

Part of being really good at something is often making a normally difficult action appear relatively effortless to an outside observer, leaving them open to making dumbass remarks about it.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Bakeneko posted:

As long as you don’t throw a tantrum about it or otherwise act like a sore loser, there’s nothing wrong with getting angry. It’s a perfectly normal reaction.

I think it’s more the assertion that it‘s a problem if you don’t get angry that makes the statement off-putting to basically everyone.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

It was cartoon reviewer Saberspark that was offered a stupid amount of money, which I think he brought up in a video or tweet or something. It was just absurd.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Yeah, anger is not the proper way to react to a loss in a fighting game. Apart from stress being unhealthy, it'll narrow your perspective. Treating failure as a learning opportunity in a fun, difficult puzzle is a way healthier attitude. Every problem has a solution, and you've just been presented with a new problem that you need to figure out through trial and error.

I think games like the Soulsborne series are excellent teachers in this regard. Failure will be your constant companion, but every failure teaches you something you can learn from and grow past.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

stillvisions posted:

There are people who suffer from a complete inability to estimate the difficulty of things that they aren't doing. Or more accurately, they assume everything they don't do must be easy.

I remember watching the NBA finals with a guy who was beside themselves that nobody on the NBA had come up with the strategy of "shoot from well behind the half-court while they're not being aggressively defended". When it was pointed out that wasn't easy, his reaction was "well, they're professional basketball players, they should practice until it becomes easy".

Part of being really good at something is often making a normally difficult action appear relatively effortless to an outside observer, leaving them open to making dumbass remarks about it.

Doing the thing by yourself under no pressure and having only that as your focus is easy, the hard part is doing it consistently under pressure, while tired and having to make split second decisions about whether doing this thing now is for the best.

The kicker thing is weird because aren't NFL kickers very consistent nowadays from FG range?

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

Being an NFL kicker can suck because it’s only the misses that people tend to remember, and you’re often put in at crucial game winning moments.

The added part to that was someone making a joke about it except with Fortnite and Ninja going off about how there’s a ton of micro details that are needed in the moment, which almost made me thin I it was a parody instead of just missing the point that badly.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
What does Ninja think about the whole Wide Right situation?

ItWasMoida
Jan 31, 2019

I only come out when it is wet.
I... think I'm over MovieBob.

I can't find it, but he recently did a Big Picture episode about his 39th birthday. I don't know much about him other than his videos and that his Twitter feed makes him sound really annoying, but his birthday vid was just so bitter.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
He's only 39?

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

I used to like Bobs escapist stuff but his slide into eugenics and other social media idiocy lost my interest for anything but the train wrecks.

ItWasMoida
Jan 31, 2019

I only come out when it is wet.
Okay, so I knew nothing about the eugenics thing. I've only seen a few examples here of Twitter people pretty much asking/begging Bob to stop throwing his opinion at stuff he has no business throwing his opinion at.

But this video just came off as so complaint-ridden and ungrateful (for a guy in film reviews, culture editorials, also rehired on the Escapist). Maybe it's the head cold, but he just came off really whiney, because he's not "more successful."

Stickfigure
Sep 4, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Must be them dumb backwards rednecks holding him down

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

Them dumb rednecks, them dumb jocks, or as both he and his SA doppelganger rkajdi would say "The dregs of society, whom coincidentally should not be able to vote or reproduce".

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
Not to be the dude that constantly defends MovieRobert but isn't his weird take from 2012? He's definitely the type of dude to think that everyone in rural America is a bigoted idiot (there are more people like this in progressive circles than you'd think too) but he's backtracked from eugenics and settled on a more...moderate type of classism.

Anyway, I got this dude's videos recommended to me, his channel is basically videos of him talking about unknown games and eventual gushing over more well-known ones. The Rule of Rose one is the one I watched first and it's pretty good:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I3yGE_VHN4M&hd=1

so now i'm looking forward to learning he's a nazi or something

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

I hope RagnarRox is cool, his videos are really interesting and well made.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Mr E posted:

I hope RagnarRox is cool, his videos are really interesting and well made.

He seems cool from the videos I watched, at least.

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
The Ninja thing is funny because he literally said "if you're not mad about losing you've lost twice" when in reality the guy mad about not wining the game designed for literal children is in fact the double loser.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Dias posted:

Not to be the dude that constantly defends MovieRobert but isn't his weird take from 2012? He's definitely the type of dude to think that everyone in rural America is a bigoted idiot (there are more people like this in progressive circles than you'd think too) but he's backtracked from eugenics and settled on a more...moderate type of classism.
i mean, i just opened his twitter and it's been a whole 15 hours since an unironic tweet about using the cia to murder people based on their political beliefs.

Ash Crimson
Apr 4, 2010
MovieBobs eyes are dead, they're like a shark's. No humanity, no soul and they glaze over everytime he talks about other human beings

Pharohman777
Jan 14, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Yeah, moviebob does stuff like blame 'rural republican hicks' for why the promised technocratic utopia hasn't arrived and that they are the reason America hasn't colonized a planet yet.

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!
Movie Bob's final video, entitled "Sherman should have salted the Earth so nothing in the South could grow again" causes concern for all as he adopts a final rantsona, General Jay Sherman.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Also why he can't be in a robotic body and have an android waifu.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I'm playing DOOM and that makes me envision Samuel Hayden with Bob's petulant voiceover

Big Bob Pataki
Jan 23, 2009

The Bob that Refreshes

Viewtiful Jew posted:

Movie Bob's final video, entitled "Sherman should have salted the Earth so nothing in the South could grow again" causes concern for all as he adopts a final rantsona, General Jay Sherman.

Lmfao this is incredibly good. Not blank quoting.

FriedMyBrain
Dec 31, 2019

by Cyrano4747
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=el_4eZQG2Gw

Todd in the shadows reviews the most recent song from Justin Berber called Yummy. And yet he didn't even mention the music video has references to sex trafficking

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

Dias posted:

Anyway, I got this dude's videos recommended to me, his channel is basically videos of him talking about unknown games and eventual gushing over more well-known ones. The Rule of Rose one is the one I watched first and it's pretty good:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I3yGE_VHN4M&hd=1

so now i'm looking forward to learning he's a nazi or something

Rule of Rose is dope.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Arcsquad12 posted:

He's only 39?

It's all that hard living and hard loving.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I mean I love the power glove too but it's so bad for you.