Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tremek
Jun 10, 2005

Residency Evil posted:

Yeah, I could get an e63 for that price, but my wife prefers the look of BMW/Audi wagons to the Mercedes. :shrug:

Whatever car shell be getting will be doing 30k miles/year, so theres also that. :suicide:

That's a pile of miles. Rep car? Does she get subsidized by work?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Tremek posted:

That's a pile of miles. Rep car? Does she get subsidized by work?

Hah, fortunately not a rep, but no, this is just commuting.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Residency Evil posted:

Yeah, I could get an e63 for that price, but my wife prefers the look of BMW/Audi wagons to the Mercedes. :shrug:

Whatever car shell be getting will be doing 30k miles/year, so theres also that. :suicide:

I know this is the MB thread, but your only modern BMW wagon option just disappeared so might be a good time to pick up a left over '19 328i for a discount.

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee

Russian Bear posted:

I know this is the MB thread, but your only modern BMW wagon option just disappeared so might be a good time to pick up a left over '19 328i for a discount.

I just searched Autotrader on my phone for a new 3 series wagon and got no results even after changing the distance to all. Where are you seeing this?

Im in the market for a relatively new wagon and am considering an E class wagon. However, people seem to dislike the COMAND infotainment - are there different generations of it between 2016-2017 models? I have only been able to test drive a 2016 but the 2017 does seem potentially more modern in photos.

Tremek
Jun 10, 2005

If you're in the US the W212 refreshed E-class wagon was sold from 2014-2016. 2017 onward is the new W213 wagon, and yes it's much different inside. No AMG model for 2017, 2018+ for AMG.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
Saw a matte silver GT cackling and burbling away from a light, and the V12 snob in me thought, hmm, that motor is a bit rough.

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee

Tremek posted:

If you're in the US the W212 refreshed E-class wagon was sold from 2014-2016. 2017 onward is the new W213 wagon, and yes it's much different inside. No AMG model for 2017, 2018+ for AMG.

Yes Im in the US. And yes I realize there was a refresh. However both systems appear to be COMAND prior and after. Is the W213 COMAND better or nontrivially different compared to the 2016 one?

Frank Dillinger
May 16, 2007
Jawohl mein herr!
The COMAND is pretty straightforward to use, if lacking in some features. Mercedes was never on the cutting edge of infotainment until 2019+ which is a big step in connectivity and interface design (MBUX, which replaces COMAND)

I personally like the dial knob interface, its got good feedback and is pretty intuitive. The later cars (2016? and up) also can have CarPlay/Android Auto which may or may not of interest to you.

Really, just go sit in a car if you can and try it out. Interfaces are pretty subjective.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Is the wheel still set up to spin onscreen letter dials opposite to the direction you turn, with no option to reverse that?

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Welp, radiator side plastic cracked. Yay. At least it has finally been found. drat mystery coolant leak has been a nuisance for years. Long story behind that.

Had to have a laugh when I needed to show the SA a missing bolt and nut when they did the tandem pump. Saw that the side marker light was starting to fall out.

Then they told me when they went to top off the washer fluid around half came out.

Ah the joys, at least the above is "while you're in there".

Oh yeah, front brakes as well. Which I know where about due.

Frank Dillinger
May 16, 2007
Jawohl mein herr!

kimbo305 posted:

Is the wheel still set up to spin onscreen letter dials opposite to the direction you turn, with no option to reverse that?

Tested a 205 today, spinning the wheel clockwise moves the cursor to the right, which seems correct to me.

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

Frank Dillinger posted:

The COMAND is pretty straightforward to use, if lacking in some features. Mercedes was never on the cutting edge of infotainment until 2019+ which is a big step in connectivity and interface design (MBUX, which replaces COMAND)

I personally like the dial knob interface, its got good feedback and is pretty intuitive. The later cars (2016? and up) also can have CarPlay/Android Auto which may or may not of interest to you.

Really, just go sit in a car if you can and try it out. Interfaces are pretty subjective.

COMAND was good, I found it really easy to use and intuitive

Haven't tried MBUX yet, even though we have a 2020 that somehow still has COMAND ?

Also finding Mercedes is stil quite behind in infotainment, as their in car wifi is still slow as molasses, and the rear screens do nothing aside from show whatever the front screens will (map, music, etc) and it will play DVD's from the rear player.

Not being able to cast to the screens or at least plug in your phone and carplay to the screens is a huge downside, why bother HAVING screens in the rear if you can't even use them to do things people have been doing for the past 5 or more years

Rant aside, I hear MBUX is nice and the AI is pretty smart. No longer do you need to talk like a robot for it to understand you and do things

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Frank Dillinger posted:

Tested a 205 today, spinning the wheel clockwise moves the cursor to the right, which seems correct to me.

Is this on a display where the selection / focus stays in place, and the letters move underneath it as you rotate the dial?
So the letters move left when you move the selection to the right? If so, I could never get the hang of that. I expect the letters to spin along with the rotation of the dial.

Frank Dillinger
May 16, 2007
Jawohl mein herr!

kimbo305 posted:

Is this on a display where the selection / focus stays in place, and the letters move underneath it as you rotate the dial?
So the letters move left when you move the selection to the right? If so, I could never get the hang of that. I expect the letters to spin along with the rotation of the dial.

Nah, the letters are all laid out and the wheel moves a cursor back and forth. Also locks you out while driving, boooooo.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Mandalay posted:

I just searched Autotrader on my phone for a new 3 series wagon and got no results even after changing the distance to all. Where are you seeing this?

Im in the market for a relatively new wagon and am considering an E class wagon. However, people seem to dislike the COMAND infotainment - are there different generations of it between 2016-2017 models? I have only been able to test drive a 2016 but the 2017 does seem potentially more modern in photos.

Oh woops, I'm a year behind looks like. I guess 2018 was the last year it was offered.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
https://bringatrailer.com/listing/2007-mercedes-benz-s65-amg-25/

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/2005-mercedes-benz-e500-wagon-4/

This guy lives 20 minutes away and always posts the best stuff. :ohdear:

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

I dunno how bruce_m seems to have 80% of the V12 supply.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

kimbo305 posted:

At least he funnels them out to the masses and doesn't hoard. I'm looking at you, EAG for BMW.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

kimbo305 posted:

I emailed him. Apparently his hustle is camping out at Manheim auctions to pick up the good stuff, then selling it. He also offers a car buying service.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

I asked him about the Renntech tuning and also if he'd ever take my basketcase S65. He sounded pretty disinterested in the latter.

Tremek
Jun 10, 2005

My car is from Bruce M and it was a little rougher than described when it showed up.

It came to me on lovely/heavy repro wheels painted black with the paint flaking off and severely stretched 275 Nankangs on the rear, active curve headlamp error that he didnt mention but I havent dealt with although he sent a replacement headlight by mail but said fixture is chipped and open to the elements, he took pics of the car with floor mats but then none came with the car, weird poo poo happening with interior lights etc due to a dead second battery, 2.5 quarts(!) low on oil in spite of him claiming in the listing that he had the oil changed, only one key and it isnt a Keyless Go key, tilt steering adjustment doesnt work, it will need brakes on all 4 corners very soon, etc.

Not that I expect a 12 year old car to be perfect but it wasnt quite the car he listed it as.

Re: your 220 kimbo, no one wants em but I guess I can thank horrid DC era S class cars for eviscerating the secondary market for the 221.

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски
About to clock 9k miles on my hooptie. Almost been a year since I bought it. I love this loving car.

Anyway I just moved out of a crazy rear end roomate situation and im digging through my poo poo and cannot find my spare key.
There might be a chance crazy ex roomie stole it. Can I purchase another fob and reprogram my current key along with the new fob so that the key roomie may or may not have wont work anymore?

Frank Dillinger
May 16, 2007
Jawohl mein herr!
Yep, no problem. Even a star knockoff should be able to block keys.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Good luck on the fobs. Used ones are beat to poo poo. I only have one and it looks like hell. New ones are around $400.

Radiator replaced, tad less than $800. Yee haw. OEM at least. No way I could/would do it in the snow when it is 20F out.

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
I test drove a loaded 2018 GLE 63S the other day (not the coupe). It was fun and fast. Don't care for the interior though and it already lost $43,000 in value in 20,000 miles with more absurd depreciation sure to come.

Tremek
Jun 10, 2005

heated game moment posted:

I test drove a loaded 2018 GLE 63S the other day (not the coupe). It was fun and fast. Don't care for the interior though and it already lost $43,000 in value in 20,000 miles with more absurd depreciation sure to come.

We went and drove a 17 GLS 63 last weekend and my youngest boy threw a fit when we didnt stroll right out of the dealership with that specific car right then and there because he had decided that was his new car. Hes 5.

Also yeah GLE interiors arent as good as they ought to be, its weird.

Frank Dillinger
May 16, 2007
Jawohl mein herr!
Hey, any of you guys own a Benz with the new Me Connect features? ie, remote start? Its having some real functional issues here in Canada but I was wondering if its better in the states.

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I, I took the one to Flavortown, and that has made all the difference.

Frank Dillinger posted:

Hey, any of you guys own a Benz with the new Me Connect features? ie, remote start? Its having some real functional issues here in Canada but I was wondering if its better in the states.

Outside of hating the way its implemented, with half the features being hidden in the website and not in the app, I havent had any issues. I mostly use it for the remote locking though.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

From what understand, unlike most other remote starters where you have to put your foot in the brake and push that start button after entering the car when it was started remotely, the MB system just turns the car off after you open the door.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

Mr. Apollo posted:

From what understand, unlike most other remote starters where you have to put your foot in the brake and push that start button after entering the car when it was started remotely, the MB system just turns the car off after you open the door.

If they get their act together, they can do key hand-off. The first remote starter in my wife's Mazda did this, but a quick re-flash and now it's perfect.

morothar
Dec 21, 2005

So the discussion in the BMW thread got me thinking about other V12 options (your fault Tremek!) than 8 series BMWs.

Because there is something wrong with my brain, I have now been looking at C216 CL600 and CL65 options instead of the more reasonable W221 offerings. Any thoughts on trade-offs between the two CLs? Or is it just the usual one kidney for MB stuff, both for AMG?

Then, in terms of W221s vs C216s, Im thinking the tech should be similar enough, unless its some coupe-specific part or trim, at which point the lower volume will result in a hefty premium?

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

With AMG you pay the "tax" which basically means brakes when you are looking at wear items. And some of the oddball stuff that might pop up which is rare.

Frank Dillinger
May 16, 2007
Jawohl mein herr!
Much like an 8-series, any parts specific to the CL or S-class are very speedy. Any parts AMG are even more expensive.

The 8-series is way better looking and may even appreciate in value, but the Benz V12 and transmission are waaaaay better than the 8-series (saying this as someone who has owned an 850Ci and drives various V12 benzes now and then)

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

morothar posted:

So the discussion in the BMW thread got me thinking about other V12 options (your fault Tremek!) than 8 series BMWs.

Because there is something wrong with my brain, I have now been looking at C216 CL600 and CL65 options instead of the more reasonable W221 offerings. Any thoughts on trade-offs between the two CLs? Or is it just the usual one kidney for MB stuff, both for AMG?

Then, in terms of W221s vs C216s, Im thinking the tech should be similar enough, unless its some coupe-specific part or trim, at which point the lower volume will result in a hefty premium?

IIRC the special fancy door hinges on the coupes will fail and the dealer charges about $1,800 a piece to fix. I'm sure there are cheaper solutions though

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

What model are you talking about in regards to door hinges? Googling the C216 I don't see much of anything.

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

Colostomy Bag posted:

What model are you talking about in regards to door hinges? Googling the C216 I don't see much of anything.

https://www.benzworld.org/threads/can-not-open-either-door-more-than-4-inches-was-fine-last-night.1690676/

The tech at the MB dealership was the first person who told me about the door issue while I was admiring a CL63 or something a few years ago. Due to how long and heavy the doors are they have a complex hinge. Other than that the issues are going to be similar to the S-classes of the era, for example the ABC system.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

heated game moment posted:

https://www.benzworld.org/threads/can-not-open-either-door-more-than-4-inches-was-fine-last-night.1690676/

The tech at the MB dealership was the first person who told me about the door issue while I was admiring a CL63 or something a few years ago. Due to how long and heavy the doors are they have a complex hinge. Other than that the issues are going to be similar to the S-classes of the era, for example the ABC system.

LOL BENZ OWNER posted:

I have the same issue with my 2001 CL500, left door will open only about 4" and seems like something is not releasing the door to open...
Took it to MB dealer - they want to remove the fender, the door and replace hinges ... $3,600....!
Naturally the diagnostic for this complex problem was $275...

Looking for solution ....which will cost less - all ideas are welcomed

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
https://bringatrailer.com/listing/2013-mercedes-benz-e350-4matic-wagon/?utm_source=dailymail&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=2020-02-24

I bid on this but Jesus Christ this went for a lot right?

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

Leading us to the promised land (i.e., one tournament win in five years)
loving wagon prices on the used market.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tremek
Jun 10, 2005

Even as a wagon nerd myself I wouldnt have predicted a clean but pedestrian e350 wagon with 131k miles would bring $20k. Thats nuts.