Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ovenmaster
Feb 22, 2006
I am the master of ovens for some reason.
Finally finished Locke & Key. It was alright, maybe even good. I steered clear initially because I thought it was for a younger audience, but it's perfectly watchable as an adult.

What lowers its overall score for me is that plot progression relies too much on character incompetence, especially in the third act. I'm willing to give it a bit of leeway because the protagonists are 2 teenagers and a kid, but even then there were lots of moments I couldn't suspend my disbelief. Plenty of things happened less because of characters reacting naturally to a situation and more because it was in the script that it had to happen a certain way. The most egregious was Ellie going alone to get the Crown of Shadows while carrying the key for it! Right after it's explicitly stated it's their only weapon against Dodge, where the outcome was so obviously spelled out a toddler could probably guess what was going to happen. The rest of the climax to the seasonal arc the characters also have poor decision making that strains belief, all to reach an entirely predictable end of season stinger.

Honestly I would have preferred things to have been wrapped up in this season, but I still think I'll catch the next one when they release it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

RC and Moon Pie posted:

Forensic Files II debuted tonight.

The first one has some pacing problems - it's 10:27 and we're just now getting to the trial in a 30-minute episode and they're rushing over trial coverage.

Still, it's new Forensic Files and they're not screwing with the formula too much. Episode 1 also ended with a memorium to the original announcer. Looking forward to more episodes.

Oh my god! I love Forensic Files. One of my favorite shows.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
I still really like Avenue 5 but it's so goddamn weird! The structure of the narrative is just so non-obvious.

It is really loving throwing me. Especially since they're very slow about telling you who fits where and how/why.

However, the worldbuilding feels second to none.

Still 100% voting that Ethan Phillips is the guy making the poo poo go wrong. drat you neelix!

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Better Call Saul is still the best show on television. Stoked that there is another new episode tomorrow night too.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Seriously, I like Avenue five, but what the gently caress is it actually doing??

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

The overwhelming sense of dread and chaos always threatening to peek around the corner is pretty amazing.

A beep almost unwound the whole ship. A beep.

Other fun things, 2nd president that's an AI (or virtual assistant) of some sort.

I heard mention of "Pennsylvania Fires."

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

tk posted:

I have been watching an embarrassing amount of Forensic Files recently, and am really looking forward to this.

The pacing in the second one also needed work. CODIS found the perpetrator. They explained the connection he had with the victim, but didn't detail it well. The trial was also rushed in the episode.

It's a minor quibble, really. I'm just happy to see something they haven't aired 4,000 times already.

Before then, Headline News aired some of the fan favorite episodes. #1 was B.J. and Erika Sifrit. It's the one with the unforgettable hot tub scene, if you've seen it. Details are :nms: if you haven't.

RC and Moon Pie fucked around with this message at 06:38 on Feb 24, 2020

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Better Call Saul status: Still Good. You could even say it’s all good, man.

I am extremely pumped to see “Gene” starting to re-embrace the Saul/Jimmy attitude. The only way this show could end satisfyingly is if Saul stops running and returns to Albuquerque proud and ready to defend himself in court, possibly with Kim helping. I know we’ve still got a whole season after this, but man it’s nice to see it stay so consistently great.

And there’s another episode tomorrow :woop:

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Pick posted:

Seriously, I like Avenue five, but what the gently caress is it actually doing??

Tonight's episode was doooooope

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

precision posted:

Tonight's episode was doooooope

Yeah, again, I'm super into it, I'm eating it for breakfast, but it is absolutely unpredictable.

My only true complaint is I hate the separated couple and think they're useless and not funny. Space 'em.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Pick posted:

Yeah, again, I'm super into it, I'm eating it for breakfast, but it is absolutely unpredictable.

My only true complaint is I hate the separated couple and think they're useless and not funny. Space 'em.

Nah, theý're the only thing that will keep Rav tethered to the show when Judd loses all his money, and Rav owns.

I've been low key hoping that Rav was secretly the one who broke up their marriage in the first place, and not that well hung tennis instructor.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
This is never the type of comment I usually make, but god whoever plays her is beautiful as gently caress :psyduck:

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

As someone who has been jolted awake in the middle of the night (it’s ALWAYS the middle of the night) by a chirping smoke detector many times, this ep of Avenue 5 gave me massive anxiety

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

Is anyone talking about The Outsider anywhere? The story is pure schlock but it’s beautiful like True Detective and treats its characters seriously. I get serious whiplash imagining the shot-in-Vancouver version of the story that would have appeared syndicated on Saturday afternoon in 1998.

We need to have a national conversation about the definition of schlock

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
The Outsider has slowed down these last few episodes. If I didn't know better I would think that it started off as a detective show, that was suddenly changed to be a horror/supernatural show, and that is why all these characters are just sitting around awkwardly talking about a monster.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

I'm okay with that, just not okay with Scully taking all the time in the world fighting against the truth.

Although I haven't watched last nights episode yet.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Haven't checked the thread because I'm not finished with it but I'm watching last night's Better Call Saul (on Youtube TV) and at the scene with the stash house all of a sudden the sound is out of sync. Did that happen to anyone else?

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I haven't started Outsider yet but I mean "starts off real hot and kind of slows down to a lot of people talking about the monster" is Stephen King 101.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

muscles like this! posted:

Haven't checked the thread because I'm not finished with it but I'm watching last night's Better Call Saul (on Youtube TV) and at the scene with the stash house all of a sudden the sound is out of sync. Did that happen to anyone else?

I watched it with about 25min delay on YoutubeTV last night and it was fine throughout. Stopping and restarting help?

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Stopping and restarting seemed to fix it. Which is weird because I've never had it happen before on Youtube TV.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/kristindonnelly/status/1231992156656742403

It's a miracle! He's cured! (if you didn't see he was convicted on 2/5 counts, first degree sexual assault and 3rd degree rape, hopefully he'll get enough time that he never sees the outside of a cell again)

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

zoux posted:

https://twitter.com/kristindonnelly/status/1231992156656742403

It's a miracle! He's cured! (if you didn't see he was convicted on 2/5 counts, first degree sexual assault and 3rd degree rape, hopefully he'll get enough time that he never sees the outside of a cell again)

He'll get 5 years or less and Trump will commune it.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

He's rich, he'll get less time than if one of us shoplifted a stick of gum.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

GreenNight posted:

He'll get 5 years or less and Trump will commune it.

Don't be ridiculous. He will get a Medal of Freedom and/or judicial appoitment.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

IRQ posted:

He's rich, he'll get less time than if one of us shoplifted a stick of gum.

It’s definitely going to end up being time served or house arrest or probation or some other complete bullshit. I’d be shocked if he got anything resembling a real sentence.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

So cynical!

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

Have you been alive for the last couple loving years?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Have any of us

Seven Hundred Bee
Nov 1, 2006

Has anyone else really enjoyed the French War of the World remake? It's airing on EPIX in the US. It's really good - very character focused, focuses on the tension/stress of the experience and avoids getting bogged down in special effects; brutal its in execution.

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL
Is it a remake or a sequel? I thought I read something about a show taking place in the aftermath of the attack.

Seven Hundred Bee
Nov 1, 2006

Its a remake, and the attack takes place over the first 2 episodes, which is all that's aired so far. Its very different from the book -- the aliens land pods which emit an electromagnetic pulse that instantly kills most people

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

This is also distinct from the UK "War of the Worlds" it seems.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt9686194/?ref_=nv_sr_srsg_0

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt8001226/?ref_=nv_sr_srsg_1

Why are there so many "War of the Worlds" related things coming out at the same time?

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Okay, I saw an ad for the one on Epix of my Fire TV and was confused as to why a BBC show would be airing on Epix.

Seven Hundred Bee
Nov 1, 2006

Yea it’s much better than the garbage BBC show

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

zoux posted:

Have any of us
No. And now that you've realized this, my duty in this world is done. *fades away*

Seven Hundred Bee
Nov 1, 2006

Two specific things I liked in the first two episodes and found quite surprising for the genre:

1. In the first episode: Gabriel Bryne's son works as a social media manager for the UK government and Gabriel Byrne is some sort of neurologist/researcher. He figures out that the electromagnetic field emitted by a bunch of objects that crash landed into earth is identical to a field he studies that interferes with human brain function and will eventually kill everyone in range. He calls his son and asks his son to tell a senior UK government official, and when the son does the official says "yea that's basically what our scientists say, too, but we don't know if it'll happen and we don't want to cause a panic" - wow there are actually other competent scientists!

2. In the second episode one of the main characters comes across a lost little girl who survived the attack in a storm drain and has a bunch of sweet moments with her. A few scenes later she's killed by an alien. I was surprised that they killed off a child in such a brutal way.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

A fun thing with Avenue 5 is when they show just how much of a shithole future Earth is.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

zoux posted:

So cynical!

Luckily the cynics were wrong about whether the public allegations would stick, whether charges would be filed, whether he would be arrested and stand trial, and now whether he would be convicted so what's one more thing to be wrong about.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Uh, owned?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
Anyone who honestly believes Weinstein will get anything close to an actual punishment is kidding themselves. It’s not cynicism if there’s an established pattern of this poo poo constantly happening.