Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Am I 🧑‍🏫 out of touch🤔? No🧐, it's the children👶 who are wrong🤷🏼‍♂️

BraveUlysses posted:

i mean you're gonna have a warranty and it clearly doesnt happen on of the cars they build with sunroofs. if it was happening often enough they would redesign their way around it.

I see you aren’t aware of capitalism and its utter contempt for the consumer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flightless greeb
Jan 28, 2016

About 45% of 150 respondents on VWVortex have reported pano roof leaks https://forums.vwvortex.com/poll.php?pollid=11021&do=showresults

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

The vortex doesn’t represent anywhere near the average VW consumer though and I fully expect people there to be responding just for the “lulz”

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
I bought a 2015 tdi Golf SportWagen with a pano and my experience was well documented in this thread.

I got it fixed. I really do love the car. I mean, it is an awesome car
That fits my family perfectly.

But I check the headliner every. Single. Day. I. Get. In.

Waiting...

flightless greeb
Jan 28, 2016

Oh by the way, I put Eibach Pro-Kit springs, Motegi MR145 Traklite wheels, Conti Extreme Contact Tires, BEC Golf R replica headlights and a Neuspeed power module and intake on my GSW.

Here's the before:

and here's the after:

I've never had aftermarket HID bulbs before - these are really bright and have an extremely square cutoff, whereas the HIDs on my Audi kind of fade/bleed into the surroundings, these ones are super delineated. I can't tell if the power module is doing anything really although tbh the car does not feel slow at normal street speeds. Its only if you get on it when you're already going 60+ that you can really tell how gutless it is. Also the intake makes the turbo really apparent which is very comical lol

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Guinness posted:

The Alltrack ticks a whole lot of boxes for me (reasonable size, manual trans, AWD wagon) and it seems like it's a last-of-its-kind vehicle, but water intrusion is a really serious problem that I don't want to gently caress with.

This was what swayed me, and the water intrusion was in part why I got a S. (The cash in the pocket didn't hurt either). You're giving up HIDZZZ, real leather, auto climate control, and a bigger screen up front. The only thing I miss is auto climate control somewhat, and HIDs although the stock halogens really aren't bad.

There is no actual permanent fix for the pano sunroof problem. I am inclined to think that this is because it's a seals and torsional rigidity problem. The opening is very large and thus the opportunity for uneven twisting forces across it is high. The dealer will "fix" your car under warranty and there is a good chance it will either not be fixed correctly or it will develop a leak again.

greeb those wheels look good, and you got the best color

flightless greeb
Jan 28, 2016

I hate halogens so I knew I was going to upgrade the headlights the second I bought the car. These are what I got if anyone is interested: https://www.becautoparts.com/products/2018-vw-golf-r-style-replica-hid-led-headlights?variant=12176633200754

They're about $650 with bulbs and you do have to take off the bumper cover and some other poo poo to install them so its not like a 10 minute job. The turn signals/hazards are that dynamic flowing style which I think Audi is doing a ton of right now that I really like. The DRLs aren't a solid white line like the look on the website but they still look pretty good. And the HIDs themselves are really bright and came really close to aimed from the factory.

Edit also thanks Kyoon! Your advice was a big part of me deciding on this car out of all the many many wagons I was looking at. In retrospect I wish Id cruised VWVortex a little more and realized how cool Alltracks look lowered - I discounted them automatically because of the extra ride height but I knew I was going to lower any Golf wagon I bought so it really wouldn't have mattered much. If I could have found a Great Falls Green alltrack with that tan interior that would have been perfect I think.

flightless greeb fucked around with this message at 01:17 on Feb 25, 2020

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

if I ever want to replace them i'll probably just get stock SEL lights and throw them in

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum

flightless greeb posted:

Oh by the way, I put Eibach Pro-Kit springs, Motegi MR145 Traklite wheels, Conti Extreme Contact Tires, BEC Golf R replica headlights and a Neuspeed power module and intake on my GSW.
Looks great, I really love the Sport Wagons, sad they aren't making them anymore, but also really unique in that you won't see many on the road. I almost bought one when VW bought my original GTI back, but they ended up with a good deal for me I couldn't pass up so ended up with a GTI anyway.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

flightless greeb posted:

Here's the before:

and here's the after:

I've never had aftermarket HID bulbs before - these are really bright and have an extremely square cutoff, whereas the HIDs on my Audi kind of fade/bleed into the surroundings, these ones are super delineated. I can't tell if the power module is doing anything really although tbh the car does not feel slow at normal street speeds. Its only if you get on it when you're already going 60+ that you can really tell how gutless it is. Also the intake makes the turbo really apparent which is very comical lol

Love those wheels and tires, gives it a rally vibe.

flightless greeb
Jan 28, 2016

If I coulda made a GTI work I would have done that instead! Always happy to see more of those, post pics if you have them!

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum
Getting some tint done next week, and then soon I'm adding the R digital dash which I am really looking forward to, otherwise, staying mostly stock until I need new tires and then I'll probably get wheels too.
Enjoy my matching plate.

Edit: Oh, this is a picture of my S model they bought back, but looks almost the same except for the wheels.

Rusty fucked around with this message at 02:04 on Feb 25, 2020

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
I gotta find some 19 or 18 inch wheels for my Q7, I really don't like the 20s, just did tires on them.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

flightless greeb posted:

Edit also thanks Kyoon! Your advice was a big part of me deciding on this car out of all the many many wagons I was looking at. In retrospect I wish Id cruised VWVortex a little more and realized how cool Alltracks look lowered - I discounted them automatically because of the extra ride height but I knew I was going to lower any Golf wagon I bought so it really wouldn't have mattered much. If I could have found a Great Falls Green alltrack with that tan interior that would have been perfect I think.

hey no problem! I am glad you are liking it.

GFG looks incredible but the only ones I could find 6MT were SELs with the dark brown interior. My wife was not as keen on dark brown interior vs tan and I did not want sun roof.

Uncle Lizard
Sep 28, 2012

by Athanatos

NoWake posted:

I had an ignition relay go bad in my 93 Passat - there were cracks in the solder on the board inside the relay housing. Along the several points in the path of checking for spark, this was the hardest to detect since it was so intermittent.

So update: It was the ignition control module on my '86 Jetta. Did new cap, rotor, plug wires, and an oil change for good measure. $542.52, so about half what I was expecting to pay, but still more than I wanted to pay.

Uncle Lizard fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Feb 25, 2020

NoWake
Dec 28, 2008

College Slice

Uncle Lizard posted:

So update: It was the ignition control module on my '86 Jetta. Did new cap, rotor, plug wires, and an oil change for good measure. $542.52, so about half what I was expecting to pay, but still more than I wanted to pay.

Thanks for the update, I was wondering! Glad the Mk2 is staying on the road. Sucks to lay out the cash, but kinda nice having someone with the tools and experience go through and find out exactly what it needs.

howdoesishotweb
Nov 21, 2002

CommieGIR posted:

I gotta find some 19 or 18 inch wheels for my Q7, I really don't like the 20s, just did tires on them.

This was one of the reasons I didn’t go with the rs5, 20” wheels suck with potholes and tires are that much more.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

howdoesishotweb posted:

This was one of the reasons I didn’t go with the rs5, 20” wheels suck with potholes and tires are that much more.

i'm still trying to hunt down two more cheap 19" cadiz rims from a wrecked R to have a spare set for either track tires or just when i go to sell it. :(

roads are not kind to big alloy wheels

got 2 for $300 shipped off Vortex though, that was a steal

moosemanmoo
Jan 6, 2007
R the Reply that his life was in danger

Guinness posted:

Edit: as an alternate wacky idea what about a CPO Audi Allroad, those are bulletproof right? :v: No manual trans though :(

FWIW, I don't regret buying a used Allroad over a new Golf Sportwagen a few years ago. If you're willing to give up that manual, you get a good upgrade in power and interior quality.

Knock on wood, but my pano sunroof and the fancy power fabric shade have been problem-free.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

i assume the newer allroads dont have the hilarious amount of issues on the c5's

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

there has never been a less reliable car than the c5 allroad

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

i owned a regular c5 and it was a disaster. amazing car to drive though

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

W8 Passat demands you retract your statement

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

big crush on Chad OMG posted:

W8 Passat demands you retract your statement

i think the W8 passat was more of an availiblity/complexity issue. i mean yes standard B5 problems + the W8 problems + the hideously tight engine bay are a bad time.

but: the allroad has all of the standard C5 problems plus the 2.7TT problems which include a hideously tight engine bay plus air suspension problems.

gun to my head i'll take the Passat. at least it's weirder.

flightless greeb
Jan 28, 2016

I would definitely have considered an Allroad if I didn't already own a B8 and want a second car that was at least 5% different.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

the 2.7TT is such a torquey bastard. nice little engine in the 5% of the time its not in the shop.

the manual transmission paired with the c5 is also the most satisfying ever

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

i have not driven one but i can't imagine it holds up to S2000 based on other audi manual transmissions i have experienced

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

So, much like the Maserati Biturbo, I can chime in on ownership of a C5 allroad.

It was pretty awesome in 2002. Still under warranty, APR chipped, origins of VCDS to tweak the suspension to go higher than factory high setting and lower than factory low setting. Fast as balls, and fun to drive. Double-face wheels were a royal bitch to keep clean. I adapted the Nav+ to a non-nav car and impressed the guys at EuroCar Service (later to become ECS Tuning).

But it was in the shop. A lot. On top of that, it seemed to go in-and-out of actually running the APR parameters. Sometimes it would absolutely scream, other times, it felt fully stock. Multiple airbags replaced.

Marginal reliability when new. Gotta be a full on dumpster fire almost 20 years later.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

NoWake
Dec 28, 2008

College Slice

meatpimp posted:

Marginal reliability when new. Gotta be a full on dumpster fire almost 20 years later.

The Susquehannock Trail Performance Rally used an Allroad for their 000 car when they ran in 2010, it was pulled to the side puking its coolant before the end of day 1.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

the thing where the drains in the sunroof and under the battery inevitably clog up and make the car flood itself was extra fun

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

My car hoarding mechanic buddy recently bought two manual trans C5 allroads, one running with the original 2.7TT and one with a blown engine. Both have had their air suspension removed and replaced with normal springs/shocks.

He actually bought the first one expecting to have some catastrophic powertrain failure, but it hasn't happened yet so he bought another that had already blown. He's going to put a 2.0 TDI in the one with a blown engine. It's already on a stand in his garage.

He also just bought a EuroVan 5MT project. He also dailies a B4 Passat TDI Wagon with 250k miles on it.

Mad lad, he's great.

Guinness fucked around with this message at 02:50 on Feb 27, 2020

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

the thing where the drains in the sunroof and under the battery inevitably clog up and make the car flood itself was extra fun

Yea that happened to my B5 and ruined the TCU under the carpet. gently caress that car forever

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:
My 1995 Jetta did that. The hoses in my Volvo are something like 20mm ID, they never seem to get clogged.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

honestly i barely ever had an issue with the powertrain on my 2.7TT, although i did have to do the vcg i somehow escaped without the turbos dying. it was just that literally every single other thing on the car broke constantly. i remember replacing a wheel speed sensor 3 times.

rally
Nov 19, 2002

yospos
I got Michelin Alpin PA4s on the new S4 and drove it out to ski today and omg I love this car.

Styles Bitchley
Nov 13, 2004

FOR THE WIN FOR THE WIN FOR THE WIN
The new Mk8 GTI has been revealed:

https://www.topgear.com/car-news/geneva-motor-show-2020/finally-mk8-volkswagen-golf-gti

Nice power jump, not really feeling the interior or exterior. Might grow on me though.

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

Where the hell did the gear shift go?

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

It’s the little nub sticking up where you’d expect it to be.

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Probably in/on the wheel.

Setting you up for that clock spring error.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

It's a growcar not a showcar