Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
this-a pizza pie is-a so good i will write-a about it in-a my diary-a

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
We're overdue for that 'You can always do an italian accent, it's never racist' meme

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

I mean, sure there was a lot of that in the cartoons, but Mario went all the way to the n64 before uttering a single word in the games. And even then most of his words were "woohoo!"

He was never given enough character to be racist. If it wasn't pop knowledge he was Italian you'd never know.

StabMasterArson
May 31, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=msMkeJTEGuU

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

General Bullshit › Unpopular Videogame Opinions: Is Mario Racist? In this threa

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

FoolyCharged posted:

I mean, sure there was a lot of that in the cartoons, but Mario went all the way to the n64 before uttering a single word in the games. And even then most of his words were "woohoo!"

He was never given enough character to be racist. If it wasn't pop knowledge he was Italian you'd never know.

mario = italian clearly came from the cartoon. they pushed mario being italian pretty hard in that show:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EoCmh6fC-xQ

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

Everyone forgot about So Long Gay Bowser. Mario is history's greatest monster.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Remember that time Bowser yelled a racist slur in Mario kart? hosed up of them to appropriate and make a mockery of NASCAR culture like that.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

poverty goat posted:

Remember that time Bowser yelled a racist slur in Mario kart? hosed up of them to appropriate and make a mockery of NASCAR culture like that.

I don't, actually.

Is this serious or a joke? Because depending on how old the Mario Kart game, I could see translation + culture gap leading to a very unfortunate line.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Yeah in Mario Kart Double Dash he calls Toad a R******* F*****

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

veni veni veni posted:

Yeah in Mario Kart Double Dash he calls Toad a R******* F*****

:thunk:

I'm a little skeptical!

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P27ZsrQ_wFE

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

food court bailiff posted:

again, I see the words “horseback combat” being bandied about as praise, which is weird to me as a person who has played several video games with horses in them

Ooof, yeah. Can't say I've ever enjoyed horse combat all that much, despite experiencing it in several different games. It's super awkward generally, especially if it's with melee weapons the big struggle is just getting close enough to hit a guy. Horses just don't control that great compared to moving a character on the ground

William Henry Hairytaint posted:

Paragliding and pulling myself along with the grapple in Just Cause 2 was some of the most fun swingy gameplay I've ever experienced. I never played the later games cuz I heard they weren't as good so I dunno if it stayed good, but in 2 it was a blast.

Just Cause 4 was the jankiest, most broke, most unfinished game ever and it was still absurdly fun. All kinds of different grapples and physics effects, everything being breakable and moveable. You could fire all these different grapples which would do different, crazy things. Look online and you can find some of the crazy poo poo people get up to with that physics system. Plus you could paraglide around the map and just grapple constantly and never hit the ground if you don't want to, it was just a wild experience but nothing close to what a full game should be still

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
Games look too much like soap operas when they run at 60 fps. All games should be locked at 30 fps--or even better, at 24.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

christmas boots posted:

Games look too much like soap operas when they run at 60 fps. All games should be locked at 30 fps--or even better, at 24.

I play all my games simply with a PC hooked up to a TV. Certain games get really awful tearing, especially when zoomed in on certain graphical elements but for the most part I have no idea what framerate my games are running at and honestly I don't give a gently caress because they seem fine

just out of curiosity though what do you mean that they look like soap operas?

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

The human eye can't distinguish anything above 28 frames per second anyway.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

You know I heard this once and didn't fact check it and repeated it for a while. Probably sounded like a stupid rear end in a top hat. If only I had anything running at 60 fps I would've known better.

Stop spreading misinformation around!!!

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Play posted:

I play all my games simply with a PC hooked up to a TV. Certain games get really awful tearing, especially when zoomed in on certain graphical elements but for the most part I have no idea what framerate my games are running at and honestly I don't give a gently caress because they seem fine

just out of curiosity though what do you mean that they look like soap operas?

Soap operas were some of the first shows on TV to use an interlaced image for broadcast instead of sending full images per refresh. It tended to make a kind of blurry, overly-smooth video.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
You can absolutely see a difference between 30, 60, and 120 fps. Until recently I didn’t care much about frame rate but when I switched to a gaming PC that could hit a stable 120, oh my.

That said, I’m good with 30 as long as it’s a stable 30. Links Awakening on the switch keeps going between 60 and 30 and it’s awful. Plus when you play it in handheld mode it’s got this weird SCUBA goggle effect going on.

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

Rutibex posted:

mario = italian clearly came from the cartoon. they pushed mario being italian pretty hard in that show:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EoCmh6fC-xQ

White guys rapping is Irish, not Italian, tho

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Chomp8645 posted:

You know I heard this once and didn't fact check it and repeated it for a while. Probably sounded like a stupid rear end in a top hat. If only I had anything running at 60 fps I would've known better.

Stop spreading misinformation around!!!

this is just the placebo effect

is pepsi ok
Oct 23, 2002

once you go 144 you don't go back

Extra Large Marge
Jan 21, 2004

Fun Shoe
They should lock down the frame rate to 24 fps in online shooter games to provide a more cinematic feel and so no one has an unfair advantage.

Vakal
May 11, 2008

Extra Large Marge posted:

They should lock down the frame rate to 24 fps in online shooter games to provide a more cinematic feel and so no one has an unfair advantage.

Anything more than 5 FPS is just a crutch for poor gameplay.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
finally i might be able to pull off some frame perfect moves

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

I like Blizzard games, especially pre-Starcraft 2

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
Titty physics have really stagnated, you'd think they could figure out how boobs work by now if they're gonna bother with that

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I think that video games should be far, far less conservative with nudity. At the same time, video games should really stop trying to allow the player to romance characters. Just have NPCs gently caress each other as the story progresses instead of having the player spam gifts to increase relationship points while making sure to capture all the lovely romantic dialogue.

Making nudity/sexuality be a part of the “payoff” of romance in games that otherwise function off of number values is loving weird man. The Mass Effect 2 red headed secretary that would dance in your room if you did certain conditions was a loving WEIRD addition, man.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

signalnoise posted:

you'd think they could figure out how boobs work by now
About that...

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

is pepsi ok posted:

once you go 144 you don't go back

I did. I went to 60 and a monitor with a much better screen that was cheaper, too. To get a comparable screen I would have had to pay $500 more.

IPS > TN always.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

Waltzing Along posted:

IPS > TN always.

We're all supposed to be living in the future now with ultra-contrast, super-duper colour reproducing, no-ghosting high refresh rate OLED screens. Except the fuckers spent billions developing a new screen technology that suffers from burn in. In this modern day and age. The total fuckwits, seriously.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:

jokes posted:

Making nudity/sexuality be a part of the “payoff” of romance in games that otherwise function off of number values is loving weird man. The Mass Effect 2 red headed secretary that would dance in your room if you did certain conditions was a loving WEIRD addition, man.

That's what soured me on Dragon Age. Bioware is just so bad at this. I played the complete edition and was enjoying the hk-47 golem banter when I noticed some tacky bauble in my inventory. So I gave that thing to the edgy emo lady I didn't care about and from then on other characters in my party commented how they were happy about my relationship with the cleavage demon. I mean…you wot?

Romance in games is always so weirdly transactional. They are barely above Stardew Valley's system of stuffing berries into everyone's faces all day or gifting them flowers from their own front garden. And ubiquity of "put gift in slot; receive sex" makes me want to scrub myself in the shower.

PoE2 is about the only game that made it bearable. There are sufficiently many different reputation stats that characters align reasonably well, I don't think they put any rewards into it, and it feels like the writers tried to avoid the cringy game romance tropes as much as possible.

Also, Xoti and Eder are perfect for each other and going between them is wrong.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Antigravitas posted:

Also, Xoti and Eder are perfect for each other and going between them is wrong.

my eder became an atheist apostate after poe1 so he would always just jadedly style on the kid's beliefs

Barudak
May 7, 2007

The most authentic romance gaming mechanic is probably The Darkness because it consists of showing up late to your girlfriends apartment and her falling asleep on you and then forces you to choose whether or not to get up or let her keep sleeping on you while you are stuck watching a movie she chose because the remote is somewhere else.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
There's a really brief but authentic and touching romance in Mass Effect 3 where one of your crew gets sad because his husband on Earth dies, and there's a great scene you overhear where they say goodbye

After which of course Shepard can fix him with his dick because Bioware

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:

The White Dragon posted:

my eder became an atheist apostate after poe1 so he would always just jadedly style on the kid's beliefs

:stare:

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

i thought the sex cards in witcher 1 were fine, they just said the quiet bit out loud about pokemon style sex mechanics

Icochet
Mar 18, 2008

I have a very small TV. Don't make fun of it! Please don't shame it like that~

Grimey Drawer
The only thing that would make gwent interesting is some really nasty sex cards

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

The human eye doesn't see in frames per second at all

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

poverty goat posted:

The human eye doesn't see in frames per second at all

the eye sees in frames per second, but the brain does not interpret it that way. don't blame the eye for things your brain is doing!