Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

When you understand that Verhoeven was trying to skewer American culture in all his English movies it's impossible not to see him as a master.

That pool sex scene is loving insane tho

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Irony.or.Death
Apr 1, 2009

Franchescanado posted:

I did, in fact, watch Antonia Bird's Ravenous this weekend! And it's very good!

I am glad you enjoyed it, and now I want to watch it again to celebrate.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
I remember thinking the pool scene was hot when I was like 12, and also that sex seemed like either the greatest most mind blowing experience ever or the worst, most dangerous thing one could do in this life.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

flashy_mcflash posted:

When you understand that Verhoeven was trying to skewer American culture in all his English movies it's impossible not to see him as a master.

The slow blade penetrates the shield.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

About The Lodge: The dad was definitely the least sympathetic character in the movie for me. What the kids did was terrible, but they're also also A) children and B) dealing with a massive amount of trauma that their father isn't taking seriously AT ALL. That poor little girl had a full on mental breakdown because she sincerely believes her mother will never be able to go to heaven, the son is extremely upfront and vocal about still being deeply upset about her suicide, and instead of getting his children the therapy they so clearly need immediately the dad responds to their grief with "Hey kids you know that woman you already didn't like before your mom killed herself over the affair I had with her? I think it would be a great idea for you to spend a week alone with her in an isolated location, and also there's a gun there LOL" and when the kids tell him "No, we don't want to do that, we would never want to do that" he does it anyway. Also, I guess there isn't anything illegal about it, but it's still vaguely creepy to start dating a woman who's trauma you're writing a book about. The first conversations they had would have all been interviews about the most horrifying parts of her life, that would have put her in an extremely emotionally vulnerable spot, it's almost like a therapist dating their patient.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

About The Lodge

Yes! All this is true words.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Hollow Man has an invisible gorilla. That rules.

Just think about what a bad idea that is.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
Generally an ANGRY invisible gorilla.

And Thanos too. (And Cable I guess)

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

flashy_mcflash posted:

I'm still sad that Verhoeven was so pissed off as a result of studio fuckery during Hollow Man that he went back to Europe and swore he'd never work for an American studio again.

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.
Luz is certainly a movie.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Hollow Man isn't awful but it definitely feels like a Paul Verhoeven movie that was meddled with to make it less Paul Verhoeven.

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.
I always liked Hollow Man back in the day but everyone told me it was bad so I decided it was bad.

Also, the 90 seconds of Showgirls pool scene that I recorded from HBO might have been the most worn out piece of VHS tape in history.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Color Out of Space is out on blu ray today. I'm pretty excited.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

Basebf555 posted:

Color Out of Space is out on blu ray today. I'm pretty excited.

It's also available for rent on Amazon Prime today too, for those hesitant to blind-buy.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
I'll blind buy Lovecraft adaptations starring Nicolas Cage until the end of time.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Basebf555 posted:

I'll blind buy Lovecraft adaptations starring Nicolas Cage until the end of time.

I'm excited for you to watch it! You and I are on a pretty similar movie wavelength, so I'm ready to hear your thoughts on Color Out of Space and Come To Daddy.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord
Thank you to whoever it was (Kvlt! maybe?) that recommended Baby Blood, that was wild. Ridiculously gory and really funny.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

Franchescanado posted:

Come To Daddy.

This was so much fun, I loved it.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
I do not regret blind buying Mandy

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Iron Crowned posted:

I do not regret blind buying Mandy

Well yea, you're not a dumbass

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

COOL CORN posted:

This was so much fun, I loved it.

Semi-controversial opinion: at this point, I like it more than Color Out of Space. I haven't seen many 2020 releases, but it's currently my #1 for the year.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

Franchescanado posted:

Semi-controversial opinion: at this point, I like it more than Color Out of Space. I haven't seen many 2020 releases, but it's currently my #1 for the year.

I think I agree with you. Color Out of Space had a great second half, but Come to Daddy was great all the way through.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

COOL CORN posted:

I think I agree with you. Color Out of Space had a great second half, but Come to Daddy was great all the way through.

It also weirdly has an awesome emotional payoff?

One of my favorite parts, which I haven't discussed (since there's only a few of us on SA that's seen it), is how Norval has practiced this speech to confront his father, and you hear him try to say it at least three times, once while Gordon is drunk, once to Gordon's corpse, and then finally to Brian/Norval's Dad, and by the time he actually gets to say it to Brian, the whole context behind it has changed, both for Norval and for the audience. Now that Norval knows who his parents are, there is a depressing irony to his speech about never letting his mother forget who his father is, and how he always sabotaged her chance at true happiness. And Brian spends what may be his last bit of energy to hold Norval's hand is really bittersweet and dark as hell. What was once supposed to be kind of a "let's hug it out!" moment between father and son is now a sad, bitter, regretful admission and really speaks to Norval's naive immaturity he's kinda coasted on, which he is only now sorta forced to grow out of.

I haven't seen a horror movie with that emotional complexity for a character since...Well I guess since Midsommar and Hereditary.

That the director, Ant Timpson, wrote the movie as a way of dealing with his father passing away, really brings out the emotional sincerity in such a bizarre situation.

Franchescanado fucked around with this message at 15:44 on Feb 25, 2020

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

TheBizzness posted:

I always liked Hollow Man back in the day but everyone told me it was bad so I decided it was bad.

Also, the 90 seconds of Showgirls pool scene that I recorded from HBO might have been the most worn out piece of VHS tape in history.

When you purchase Showgirls on DVD or blu-ray it has an easter egg where it just loops those particular scenes. :perfect:

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
I'd watch Come to Daddy immediately but it's one of those movies that I get the feeling might show up on Shudder within a month or two. Any whispers of that going around?

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Basebf555 posted:

I'd watch Come to Daddy immediately but it's one of those movies that I get the feeling might show up on Shudder within a month or two. Any whispers of that going around?

I'm surprised they haven't said anything about it. There was nothing in the Q&A about it. But since it's the same producers as Mandy and The Greasy Strangler, I'd say it might? It's really perfect for their service.

If not Shudder, it seems like something Hulu would be interested in. They're all about the weird indie darlings.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Get Ready for Price Time , Bitch

Hollow Man is dope and gay.

Hth

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Cross posted from the poster thread:

Wash your hook, buddy!

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord

flashy_mcflash posted:

Wash your hook, buddy!

I'm looking forward to this. It looks like they're going in a bit of different direction and addressing gentrification, which is good because I'm not sure you could improve on the original. Plus it's a horror film directed by a black woman, which is... I was gonna say "rare" but I can't think of even a single other film. Someone correct me on that if I'm wrong.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

flashy_mcflash posted:

Wash your hook, buddy!

That bee frightens me

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
I'm glad they're keeping the bee aspect of the story, I was worried they might drop that.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Oh you gotta keep the bees

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Legit bees scare me so it the sound is good I might just duck down if I hear thousands of bees.

I started ducking during Jackass 3D lmao

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

CelticPredator posted:

Legit bees scare me so it the sound is good I might just duck down if I hear thousands of bees.

I started ducking during Jackass 3D lmao

I sprinted all the way from my car to the front door of my building yesterday because there was a wasp chasing me.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
Bees will leave you alone if you don't gently caress with them

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Iron Crowned posted:

Bees will leave you alone if you don't gently caress with them

Thanks dad

TheOmegaWalrus
Feb 3, 2007

by Hand Knit
A bee will never sting a person who is true of heart.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Get Ready for Price Time , Bitch

CelticPredator posted:

That bee frightens me

Just wait til you see where the hook goes!

Stink Billyums
Jul 7, 2006

MAGNUM
remember when fox would air specials about how the bees were coming to kill us?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Stink Billyums posted:

remember when fox would air specials about how the bees were coming to kill us?

Hell yea, killer African bees that are already making their way up South America and have already even killed a few people in the border states! Fox was pretty wild back in the day.