Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

:siren::siren::siren:CANADA WAS GREAT, BUT IT'S HOLLAND TIME NOW:siren::siren::siren:

Drag Race Holland discussion begins here!

However...

We discuss episodes as they are broadcast in their home countries, so make sure that your viewing option is up-to-date. If you are watching on Logo you are likely at least two weeks behind.

All-Stars 5 Discussion started here!
Canada's Drag Race Discussion started here!

--

It's a new year, it's a new day, it's a new batch of Queens...

Welcome to the 2020 edition of RuPaul's Drag Race!

Unlike previous years, we're going to keep a single thread until Season 13 instead of creating a new thread for each show. This will make things easier since we're likely to get:
- Drag Race Season 12
- Drag Race All-Stars 5 - coming Friday, June 5th, on VH1! (starts in June on Showtime)
- Canada's Drag Race - coming Thursday, July 2nd, on Crave, OutTV, and WoW Presents Plus
- Drag Race UK 2 - Production stopped due to everything going on
- Celebrity Drag Race (aka Drag U 2: The Sickening)

And then there's all the other Drag we get into: Dragula, Camp Wanakiki, all the excellent online drag performances filling the Coronavirus void, all the various media related to the shows, etc. We'll provide links in the OP to all various seasons as they begin.

Previously on Drag Race...

https://twitter.com/shharv/status/1123699083884081156
https://twitter.com/dollastcre/status/1251462728079888393
https://twitter.com/dragraceukbbc/status/1191749432318005248

Two seasons. One was good, one looked okay at the start and fell apart at the end.

RuPaul's Drag Race Season 11 started out great. The queens were fun, but it became very clear that there were only two queens that stood a chance of winning. That, plus Silky sucking all the oxygen out of the room, turned it into a bit of a slog and we were glad to have reached the end. On the plus side, we got the return of Miss Vanjie, and NINA loving WEST finally made the show and into our hearts. :allears:

Okay, when I went back to start making gifs I was surprised at how much better this season was than I remembered. Brooke Lynn was great and was able to parlay the season into a judge role in Drag Rage Canada, Akiria was a blast, Ra'Jah was a great villain, Scarlet and Shuga gave good entertainment... I think it was burnout plus a pretty clear Top Two that made the last half of the season a bit difficult to get through.

(more gifs to come, omg i could make so many)

In comparison, RuPaul's Drag Race UK was a refreshing return to "standard" Drag Race. It helped that they recycled a lot of the best challenges of the past, but the queens were just a joy to watch perform. Even going into the last episode we didn't know who was going to win, although the winner ran away with it in the final episode.

And in the end, our winners are:

Yvie Oddley

The Vivienne

Long May They Reign.

But that's the past, it's time for the future! Let's move on to Season 12!

Pinwiz11 fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Sep 16, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming

What is RuPaul's Drag Race? I've never watched it.

RuPaul's Drag Race is a competitive reality show where Drag Queens compete in a series of challenges to prove that they have the Charisma, Uniqueness, Nerve, and Talent to be crowned the Next Drag Superstar and win a lot of money. Episodes are pretty typical for the format: The girls may complete in a mini-challenge that may gives the winner(s) some kind of advantage, a main challenge which can be anything from building costumes to acting to putting civilians in drag, and finally a runway show. The judges pick a winner, and then the Bottom Two queens battle it out in the Lip Sync... For Your Life! :nyd: Ru judges the LSFYL and the loser goes home.

We can nitpick the show all we like but it's a joy to watch. The important thing to keep in mind is that these girls are professional Drag Queens. They know (for the most part) how to speak, put on a show, throw shade, and give us the cutting one-liners in the confessionals that we expect. The best prize is to make it on the show as the exposure gives them a chance to make a living off of their art, and a chance at $100,000 doesn't hurt. Even being the first one kicked off (example: Miss Vangie) can work for you. We're not watching some teenager thinking that they can sing or model, in theory these Queens have the goods necessary to make it on the show and the thick skin necessary to make it work.

Challenges include:
- Singing challenges
- Choreography
- Dress construction
- Acting challenges
- Makeup challenges
- Makeovers
- Hot guys in underwear
- Etc.

The final in-studio challenge is typically writing/recording/performing individual verses for Ru song. Much more palatable than previous Ru-related challenges, and occasionally we get gold like "I'm Roxxxy Andrews and I'm here to make it clear." :allears:

The main Drag Race ends with a "live" finale where the remain queens Lip Sync... For The Crown and while it's started to have diminishing returns I think it's better to have a final duel and "live" coronation in front of a crowd than a crowning away from public eyes. "Live".

When available, make sure you stay tuned for Untucked after the main episodes for that extra backstage drama.

On Spoilers

I expect that you can find a very accurate elimination orders out on the Internet, and if that's your thing then have fun. If you are like me an want to stay as pure as possible, be careful out there. Watch where you go, don't scroll down into the comments sections, avoid Reddit, etc. This is doubly true for the main series because they shoot the Finale a couple of weeks prior to broadcast, where details like Asia's butterflies :gonk: were out in the wild (unlike those butterflies :smith:) once they hit the stage.

We follow standard SA Spoiler rules here: Spoiler tags for all content until it has aired in their local time zone.
- Season 12, All-Stars: Eastern US
- UK: London
- Australia: TBD
- Canada: TBD (likely Eastern)

Previews count as spoilers, as well as the mid-week First Act releases by VH1.

Just make sure to make it clear what you are hiding if there's any question, and if you haven't seen the ep yet stay out of the thread and potentially off of social media until you have watched it. Be doubly-careful if there are two series running at the same time this year (which seems likely).

Web-only content and shows not in English should be in spoiler tags for at least week after release to give everyone time to watch the episode since there's not necessarily a standard release/translation time.

We've been great about this in the past, keep up the good work!

The Judges

RuPaul Charles

The leader of the merry bunch, we thank Ru year after year for coming up with the tasty weekly confection that is RuPaul's Drag Race. What else is there to say?

Okay, let's be real. The winner of the show is picked by Ru. The person who is kicked off each week is picked by Ru. This is Ru's baby. It exists to give glory to Ru and help sell her albums (now on iTunes). You thought it was bad to ignore Tim Gunn? DON'T IGNORE RU.

Yes, Ru has been problematic at times. No one denies this, and she deserves to the called out when warranted (and the lack of openly trans queens on the show gets more maddening each season), but she has also helped to create this show that lets these Queens make a living doing Drag and has really influenced the culture. The show is great, Ru is great, and Ru says stupid things reasonably often. It's a contradiction wrapped in an Epstein Parker suit.

The rest of the main judges:

Michelle Visage

(That picture still is everything forever.)

Every once in a while I remember that Michelle wasn't an original judge on the show and I have to pause and collect my wits. The show started to take off once Michelle replaced Merle. Coincidence?

If Ru is the Mother, then Michelle is the stern Aunt. Michelle wants all of the queens to reach their potential, so she's willing to be harsh but it always comes from a place of live. She's been friends with RuPaul forever, co-hosted with Ru on her VH1 talk show, has been a more than welcome addition to the judging panel since the third season, and is the one who really goes on the road with the queens to help push the brand. She's fabulous.

Carson Kressley

https://twitter.com/dvvidmurray/status/858288639238909952

Carson's perfect for the show. Fashion advice, snarky comments, good play with the rest of the judges.

Ross Matthews

A Drag Race super fan, Ross came in a couple of times and guest judged and was so good that they brought him in to rotate the judges seat with Carson. He knows his stuff, he knows how to provide good reality TV, and his pun game is excellent. Plus, he's more than willing to disagree with Michelle.

Graham Norton

Graham joined our list as a main judge for Drag Race UK. He's dry wit and observations have been a wonderful addition to the panel, and he's aging extremely well.

Alan Carr

This was a no-brainer. Alan was made for a show like this.

Guest judges

Among this season's guest judges:

- Nicki Minaj
- Chaka Khan
- Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez :woop:
- Robyn
- LESLIE JONES :siren::siren::siren: :itsHappeningGif:

The Pit Crew

Eye candy, props, set movers... you call them and they'll show up in their skivvies.

GENTLEMEN, START YOUR ENGINES AND MAY THE BEST WOMAN WIN!

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming

LET'S MEET... OUR GIRLS

Aiden Zhane
Acworth, Georgia

Brita Filter
New York City, New York

Crystal Methyd
Springfield, Missouri

Dahlia Sin
Los Angeles, California

Gigi Goode
Los Angeles, California

Heidi N Closet
Ramseur, North Carolina

Jackie Cox
New York City, New York

Jaida Essence Hall
Milwaukee, Wisconsin

Jan Sport
New York City, New York

Nicky Doll
New York City, New York

Rock M. Sakura
San Francisco, California

(i love this look)

Sherry Pie
New York City, New York

Widow Von'Du
Kansas City, Missouri

Pinwiz11 fucked around with this message at 00:32 on Mar 7, 2020

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming

Let's remember some of the best moments from the last year... :allears:

bigfatdynamo posted:

bury me with this post

Golbez posted:

Dearest squirrelfriends, I have invited you all here today to learn the TRUTH.

My hypothesis: RUPAUL WAS NOT IN ENGLAND UNTIL SEVERAL EPISODES IN.

The evidence.

EPISODE 1:
* We never see Ru and the girls in the same shot, except for one behind-the-head shot during the introductions.
* When the Brit Crew emerges for the first time, they walk to be next to Ru. We never see them in a shot with any queens.
* This is the moment when I noticed something was awry: The photoshoot. They never show Ru and the girls in the same shot, EXCEPT...

Off to the side, surrounded by static equipment, in a scene where they're clearly demonstrating green screen techniques. But also we have...

Ru being obscured behind equipment. THIS IS NOT THE ONLY TIME THIS HAPPENS.
* The only other "interaction" is later, where Ru is far away and surrounded by such bright colors as could easily hide any green screen issues.

* For the remainder of the episode, Ru is never in the same shot with any of the girls.

EPISODE 2:
* Look at how off the proportions seem in this shot. I know Ru is tall, but this makes him look like a giantess.

* Again, we never see the Brit Crew in closeup with any queens. All we get is this, a technique used many times, showing a sliver of something the Crew or Ru is holding to make it seem like they're in the same place:

Visible: Edge of sign the Brit Crew is holding. Not visible: THE BRIT CREW. Then the Brit Crew puts down the signs and leaves.
* Every wide shot, Ru is never in the same vertical plane as a queen. And, look at the shadows! Everyone elses' is dropping straight down or towards the camera, except Ru's, which is heading off to the southwest somewhere.

* This episode has a werkroom walkthrough. Except... RU NEVER DIRECTLY INTERACTS WITH ANYONE. He's always off to the side and whenever they can, they resort to direct head-on shots, obviously to cut down on the green screen costs.
* Michelle. She's part of the conspiracy too. The only time it looks like she's in the shot with the queens is this shot of SOMEONE from behind:

EPISODE 3:
* Here is the first shot in the entire series where Ru is interacting with something at the same time as a queen.

Therefore, I hypothesize that Ru was either not present for the first two episodes, or something went wrong with those episodes such that they had to completely re-record Ru's (and Michelle's) parts.

In conclusion,

https://twitter.com/michcoll/status/1089736654254993408

Pinwiz11 fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Feb 23, 2020

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming

Drag Race the TV show has spawned an entire industry to capitalize on the popularity of the show. Tours, spin-off shows, podcasts… there’s so much out there that it would be impossible to list them all. Here are a few that may be worth checking out!

WOW Presents Plus (https://www.wowpresentsplus.com/) – World of Wonder’s video service for all of their in-house productions. In the past, episodes of the main show have been released on this service shortly after the broadcast (or at the same time for the UK season). This is also where you can see shows like Unhhhh a week early and uncensored.

While there aren’t many shows on here that I watch, it was instrumental for me to keep up with the UK season and we’ll see what happens with All-Stars 5. Thankfully it’s not very expensive.

Race Chaser and Race Chaser Classique (doo doo doo doo!) (https://foreverdogpodcasts.com/podcasts/race-chaser/) – Willam and Alaska review episodes of Drag Race. They started with Season One, are close to finishing Season Four, but put the Classique (doo doo doo doo!) reviews on hold when regular seasons start. While there’s not much new that comes out from the Classique (doo doo doo doo!) reviews if you’ve been digging for details, surprises happen for people like me who stay away from Reddit.

Plus, it’s two queens who know the show intimately so they can give us expert opinions on how the current seasons are going. The Wednesday episodes are a must-listen for me.

https://twitter.com/IMHOtheShow/status/1223361176874233856
IMHO with Chan & Dixie (https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCIdEb15BysFtnW6bi5xnoXw) – In Chicago there are two bars across the street from each other that have epic viewing parties. One is where current and past queens get tipsy and share too much information that is spread across the internet. We’re talking about the other one. (But seriously, the Roscoe’s vids are vital: https://www.youtube.com/user/roscoestavern/featured)

At Sidetrack, the episodes are hosted by a fabulous quartet of queens, who then record their thoughts and put them out on YouTube! The queens are:

- Dida Ritz – Drag Race Season 4
- Aunty Chan (of the “So Into Vouging Right Now” video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HkqGKfcqp4k)
- Dixie Lynn Cartwright – Ummmmmmm…
- Intern Alexis P. Bevils – Winner of Camp Wannakiki Season 1

Dixie, Chan, and Alexis release episodes on Sundays, and Dida releases episodes with the rest of the cast and special guest stars mid-week.

Recommended episode: UK Ep 7: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qN6bvGXF1fA

--
More to come

Pinwiz11 fucked around with this message at 02:55 on Feb 28, 2020

Hug in a Can
Aug 1, 2010

NICE FLAMINGO
kind heart
fierce mind
brave spirit

:h: be good and try hard! :h:

I'm excited for another season of this beloved show!

I'm rooting for Jaida. She's the only one I've seen perform prior to this season, and she is stunning :allears:

The lack of Chicago queens in S12 breaks my heart, but Jaida visits Chicago occasionally and her drag mom was an anchor of Chicago drag in the early 00s, Tajma Hall (rip, angel).
Did you all know that this makes her Dida Ritz's drag sister? Tajma was a delight from all I've heard, and her children reflect so well on her legacy. :)

e: this is how I interact with these threads. I leap in through the window and ask "HAVE YOU ALL HEARD OF CHICAGO DRAG?"

Hug in a Can fucked around with this message at 00:51 on Feb 24, 2020

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming

Hug in a Can posted:

The lack of Chicago queens in S12 breaks my heart, but Jaida visits Chicago occasionally and her drag mom was an anchor of Chicago drag in the early 00s, Tajma Hall (rip, angel).
Did you all know that this makes her Dida Ritz's drag sister? Tajma was a delight from all I've heard, and her children reflect so well on her legacy. :)

Taj... :smith: She was such a bastion of happiness.

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺
I haven’t been keeping super up to date on s12 so it seems insanely New York just at a glance. Not even mad about it.

Fresh Like Zafo
May 31, 2012

So I'm just now starting Drag Race UK, and holy poo poo does Gothy Kendoll looks a bit like Finn Balor out of drag.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!
Wow, I can't believe that season 11 was only a year ago. I suspect it's because it was the first season I haven't rewatched, and I suffered from Silky exhaustion. Good lord was she an emotional drain.

I have faith though after what a breath of fresh air UK was.

Carlton Banks Teller
Nov 18, 2004

Based off nothing but the MTQ videos, my top 3 are Brita, Gigi, and Crystal. I'm always excellent at guessing which queens go the distance, unless I'm not in which case the producers pulled the pag.

Extremely bitter that we aren't likely to get a Dragrace Thailand 3 this year, or ever.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.
So I asked the internet's best friend, Talk to Tranformer, what they believed might happen this season:

a computer posted:

Predictions for RuPaul's Drag Race Season 12:

1. Ru will make a dad joke so painful that my ears burn.

2. Derrick will try out the song "With You" by Elton John, and become a success.

3. Michelle Visage will dance aggressively in a dress made out of razor blades and plaster masks.

4. Sharon will end up naked in the bottom two.

5. I will refer to Jerrod and Denise as Mr. and Mrs. Alaska on camera.

6. Lynn and Alyssa will be given bathroom privileges.

7. Trixie Mattel will make any RuPaulFan's face even more baller for every drag.

8. Wigaboo, the trap singer known for her queer political singing, will have to struggle to make the final four.

9. Willam Belli will make RuPaul sad when the season is over.

10. Tyra Sanchez will spend her brief stint on the show creating a chemical bomb for Jade Jolie in a COCOON GIRL photo shoot.

11. Jade Jolie will spend her short stint on the show trying to find a way to use her 1990s drag identity without making it a drag song.

12. They'll send back the delightful Nina Flowers for her bitchy performance at the "Classic Miss Pitt" competition.

13. Raven will come back, but will spend the season leading up to the season finale writing showmance fan fiction and referencing things such as Ashley Tisdale's numerous cosmetic surgeries.

14. Raven's relationships with CeCe and Kennedy will be revealed to the world.

15. Willam will be murdered in the second episode.

16. Cynthia Lee Fontaine will win Drag Race.

17. Willam will win the Best Supporting Actor award in the show's second season.

18. Willam will dance her way to the winner's crown at the beginning of the show's third season.

19. Michelle Visage will say "Who do I have to play with tonight for Michelle to say that she's excited about tonight's game?" when she arrives at the second phase of the show.

20. Willam will invite Michelle Visage out to dinner to receive the Best Supporting Actress award.

Oh my gosh how exciting I cannot wait!!!

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming

I stan Wigaboo.

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

:gowron::m10:
I love when my media and politics intersect

Alternate title: RuSsIaN iNtErFeReNcE

https://twitter.com/katya_zamo/status/1231929761800257536?s=19

curiousTerminal
Sep 2, 2011

what a humorous anecdote.

Pinwiz11 posted:

It's the automated messages from Chicago's transit trains, specifically the line that stops right outside the club (Berlin).

Missed being able to respond to this last thread: I am now waiting for a DC Queen to perform a number to the phrase "this is a 7000 series train"

Pinwiz11 posted:

Jackie Cox
New York City, New York

[pleasant bing sound] Hi! I'm Jackie!

Shneak
Mar 6, 2015

A sad Professor Plum
sitting on a toilet.
After souring on S11 over time and not really being a fan of anybody in particular on UK I'm excited for this new cast.

Gelf
Oct 1, 2005

Wake up and smell the psychosis!\

Shneak posted:

...really being a fan of anybody in particular on UK...

Do you mind if I ask why? Genuinely curious :)

You've made me think about it as I'm originally from the UK and now am realising my opinions are definitely influenced by childhood nostalgia!

Listening to The Viv speak takes me right back to nights at my gran's house watching Lily Savage on the telly....

Blu just made me perma-cringe as Belfast was my first gay scene

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

I liked UK a lot; the girls seemed overall more personable and there were some incredible performances! An oddly-weighted cast, definitely, but what a great final four!!

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

Fleta Mcgurn posted:

I liked UK a lot; the girls seemed overall more personable and there were some incredible performances! An oddly-weighted cast, definitely, but what a great final four!!

Five :colbert:

I don't care what anyone says, Blu's water commercial made me laugh the most. And her being a shady-rear end, dirty ho with a Gallant exterior was really amusing to me.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

gandlethorpe posted:

Five :colbert:

I don't care what anyone says, Blu's water commercial made me laugh the most. And her being a shady-rear end, dirty ho with a Gallant exterior was really amusing to me.

Final five! (I already forgot who went when, I love Blu)

czg
Dec 17, 2005
hi
I just wanted to post this useful and versatile gif.
https://i.imgur.com/CFdYNzy.gifv

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
If you want to take a shot at me get in line, line
1 2 3!
Baby, I've had all my shots and I'm fine
omg my entirely 100% true conspiratorial ramblings made it into the OP i'm so happy :toot:

seriously though, what was up with Ru not being there

Shneak
Mar 6, 2015

A sad Professor Plum
sitting on a toilet.

Gelf posted:

Do you mind if I ask why? Genuinely curious :)

You've made me think about it as I'm originally from the UK and now am realising my opinions are definitely influenced by childhood nostalgia!

Listening to The Viv speak takes me right back to nights at my gran's house watching Lily Savage on the telly....

Blu just made me perma-cringe as Belfast was my first gay scene

I don't think I connected with anybody that much but I'm not sure why. I have a preference for comedy queens and none were very much my style (though I love a Kim Woodburn impression.) Also wasn't invested in DDC vs Viv.

It could be regional because I'm one of the 3 people excited for Drag Race Canada.

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming

Blu for All-Stars.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

my body is rdy

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

as per ush i'ma go in without watching meet the queens

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob
Honestly I don't bother to learn most of their names until like episode 3.

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

A lot of the names are mouthfuls this season, but I was able to learn them pretty easily after the MtQ videos. It helps that there are only 13.

Heidi N Closet gave me the biggest impression, when visually I wasn't feeling her much. She might be my Monique of the season. I look forward to her talking heads.

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Will the new season be on Netflix in the UK? If so, when? Cheers

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming

TONIGHT!

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

Ugh, why must I be on the west coast?

Tulalip Tulips
Sep 1, 2013

The best apologies are crafted with love.
I never watch the Meet the Queen videos either but I have watched some of the other promo vides and I am 100% on team Heidi. She's absolutely delightful.

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

Heidi needs to go by her full name. Heidi Nina Closet flows so much better.

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming

Ep 2 queen: Hey there, we had a fun first judge! (insert second ep judge name here)

Ep 1 queen: So did we! Nikki Minaj!

Ep 2 queen: :smith:

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

So far Widow is absolutely killing it in every way.

buddychrist10
Nov 4, 2009

Obtuse.....even hokey.
That was an incredible first episode.

Shneak
Mar 6, 2015

A sad Professor Plum
sitting on a toilet.
That song they did had no right to be that good for EPISODE ONE.

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming

Shneak posted:

That song they did had no right to be that good for EPISODE ONE.

SERIOUSLY.

This episode owned, and that LSFYL :allears:

buddychrist10
Nov 4, 2009

Obtuse.....even hokey.
Break Up Bye Bye was catchy too. Whoever they've got doing the music for these challenges is definitely a step up from the old Lucian Piane masterpieces.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

aww yee drag race time