Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
It was a good book IMO.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tiniestacorn
Oct 3, 2015

Another +1 for Dawnhounds.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
How much of it is romance and sex scenes?

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

It's super dumb, but I can't stop myself. This is just kind of how I do things.

anilEhilated posted:

Uh none as far as I recall. But it's been a minute since I read it.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength

anilEhilated posted:

A few paragraphs.

Cool book, enjoyed it lots. Didn't know it was goonwritten.

pradmer
Mar 31, 2009

Follow me for more books on special!
Leviathan Wakes (Expanse 1) by James S Corey - $3.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0047Y171G/

The Last Wish (Witcher) by Andrzej Sapkowski - $2.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0010SIPT4/

The Girl with All the Gifts by MR Carey - $2.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00CO7FLFG/

The Return of the King (Lord of the Rings 3) by JRR Tolkien - $2.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B007978P18/

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran

anilEhilated posted:

On this note, I'd love to hear about more genre books without romance or sex, but which still have some emotional core and reasonably good prose. Compelling, loving, but platonic friendships and sibling / parental relationships are quite welcome.

Some examples off the top of my head are A Wizard of Earthsea, Something Wicked This Way Comes, The Light Brigade, The Black Company, Ender's Game, The Sparrow, and basically everything written by Tolkien.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

Kestral posted:

On this note, I'd love to hear about more genre books without romance or sex, but which still have some emotional core and reasonably good prose. Compelling, loving, but platonic friendships and sibling / parental relationships are quite welcome.

Kestral posted:

Ender's Game

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
The copper cat series is pretty good for feels. Main lead dude is gay, main lead girl is not. There's mention of romance, and the gay dude seems to get a new boyfriend each book but it's not a pain to read. I can't remember any sex in there, but it's been a while since I read em. I don't think there is.

They are great fantasy books. I'd recommend em.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

There's nothing bizarrely sexual about children greasing themselves up and wrestling each other to death tyvm

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Kestral posted:

Yeah, that's kind of my constant order. Anyhow, have you read Bridge of Birds? There some sex there but it's mostly odd Chinese metaphors and the book has so much heart it's easy to get past it.

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Feb 23, 2020

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

Also I finished Pushing Ice and loved it. The whole scope of it was astonishing. What else is good by Reynolds?

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

Black Griffon posted:

Also I finished Pushing Ice and loved it. The whole scope of it was astonishing. What else is good by Reynolds?

House of Suns, definitely.

If you loved Pushing Ice, you'll probably like all the Revelation Space stuff.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

sebmojo posted:

There's nothing bizarrely sexual about children greasing themselves up and wrestling each other to death tyvm

Orson Scott Card is like the perfect evil genie/cursed monkey paw response to a request for books without sex scenes

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

I once read a short story by Orson Scott Card. It was about a man who stalked cars on highways until they would panic and crash, and this would make him orgasm.

I do not remember which collection this was in, nor what the title was. I do remember sitting on the floor of the Fulton Public Library staring at the book, baffled.

Terminal autist
May 17, 2018

by vyelkin
Pretty concerned that me and a lot of other men my age grew up reading enders game and were even encouraged to in elementary school, truly baffling. I also picked up Gideon after all the enthusiasm in the thread and totally lived up to the hype. I saw Harrow for preorder in kindle and didnt realize it was a preorder was super bummed when I finished Gideon and realized I had to wait till june.

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

StrixNebulosa posted:

I once read a short story by Orson Scott Card. It was about a man who stalked cars on highways until they would panic and crash, and this would make him orgasm.

I do not remember which collection this was in, nor what the title was. I do remember sitting on the floor of the Fulton Public Library staring at the book, baffled.

There's a mid-90s Cronenberg film called Crash with similar themes.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crash_(1996_film)

EDIT: What's up with Alastair Reynolds kindle editions? It looks like Pushing Ice and Revelation Space are pre-orderable for release in April?

a foolish pianist fucked around with this message at 03:20 on Feb 24, 2020

tildes
Nov 16, 2018
What book slash chapter should I begin foreigner in?

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

tildes posted:

What book slash chapter should I begin foreigner in?

3. Bren wakes up to assassin in the night.

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

It's super dumb, but I can't stop myself. This is just kind of how I do things.

a foolish pianist posted:

EDIT: What's up with Alastair Reynolds kindle editions? It looks like Pushing Ice and Revelation Space are pre-orderable for release in April?

Appears he's on a new publisher.

tildes
Nov 16, 2018

StrixNebulosa posted:

3. Bren wakes up to assassin in the night.

Thank you!

E: wow this is way more accessible than my previous attempts starting from the start

tildes fucked around with this message at 05:12 on Feb 24, 2020

Anomalous Blowout
Feb 13, 2006

rock
ice
storm
abyss

It makes no attempt to sound human. It is atoms and stars.

Black Griffon posted:

Literally everything. His YA even is one of my faves and I barely ever read YA. He's a top five author for me and his quality almost never wavers. His short story and novella collections are all phenomenal too.

I think my personal faves are Zima Blue and Other Stories, Absolution Gap, and Revenger. I read all the Revelation Space books out of order not knowing there was an order and that didn't lessen the enjoyment for me a bit.

Slo-Tek
Jun 8, 2001

WINDOWS 98 BEAT HIS FRIEND WITH A SHOVEL

Kestral posted:

Some examples off the top of my head are A Wizard of Earthsea, Something Wicked This Way Comes, The Light Brigade, The Black Company, Ender's Game, The Sparrow, and basically everything written by Tolkien.

Vorkosigan Saga is pretty light on sex, and it is all very off-screen.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

Slo-Tek posted:

Vorkosigan Saga is pretty light on sex, and it is all very off-screen.

They said no romance either. Vorkosigan saga has shitloads of romance - the first two books are a love story, and one of the books in the series is unrepentantly a romance novel. I'd say steer clear if you're avoiding romance. God it's everywhere in that series, and I love it

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
To turn it around, who other than Bujold has done romance well in SF/F? Any good love stories? Book 4 of The Dark Tower comes to mind.

Anomalous Blowout
Feb 13, 2006

rock
ice
storm
abyss

It makes no attempt to sound human. It is atoms and stars.

TheAardvark posted:

To turn it around, who other than Bujold has done romance well in SF/F? Any good love stories? Book 4 of The Dark Tower comes to mind.

Could be recency bias but I think This Is How You Lose the Time War is an all time favourite of mine for this. It's a super quick read too. I don't normally love time travel stories but this one wooed me and the romance was a large part of it.

tiniestacorn
Oct 3, 2015

TheAardvark posted:

To turn it around, who other than Bujold has done romance well in SF/F?

Lots of folks. Two recent favorites of mine: Witchmark by C.L. Polk, This Is How You Lose The Time War by Amal El-Mohtar & Max Gladstone.

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010
I tend to avoid posting/engaging in discussion about my own book because it feels very Self-Important Writer Online, but if you liked The Dawnhounds please consider nominating me for the Sir Julius Vogel Award for Best Novel this year.

The SJVs are the annual New Zealand SF/F Awards and they’re normally pretty low-key, but they’re being held at WorldCon 78 this year and voted on by the Hugo Awards voters—anything on the shortlist will be read by a lot of serious writers, editors and agents. This could be my big break. This is apparently the biggest year for nominations in SJV history and there have been … about 500 nominations total, across all 14 categories, I believe of which about 150 are for Best Novel: your nomination really does matter. It’ll take you two minutes, and could change my life.

* Do I need to be from New Zealand to nominate? Nope. Members of the NZ fan org that run the awards count for double, but absolutely anybody can nominate.
    * Is that the only award the book is up for? Our cover artist is up for Best Art, so if you dig the fungus skull please also chuck a nomination to Pepper Curry.
    * Isn’t Gideon the Ninth just going to kick your rear end? I mean it’s a better book than mine, but Tamsyn removed herself from the running because she’s Australian by bullshit legal technicality, and also I suspect to give us little fish a chance (since she’s probably gonna win the Hugo anyway). We’ve actually got a decent shot at the win. Odds are on The Absolute Book, but The Dawnhounds is a solid outside bet, and even getting on the shortlist would be huge.
    * Is there anybody else cool and good I should be aware of? Goon and friend of the show Casey Lucas is up for Best Production for Into The Mire and Best Short Fiction for A Shriek Across the Sky, first published in our very own Thunderdome and published professionally here. I know a few of y’all follow her writing, so show her some love.
I’m not interested in fake votes or goonrushing, but it seems like a lot of folks here genuinely liked the book, and if that’s you then chuck me a nomination and maybe actually change my life.

That nomination form is right here: https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSfTIK1YJi6GBXX0lZobwDIsm8ZoB49dJSBgFAwp2hQ_-AaGdw/viewform

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

Done and good luck. I loved The Dawnhounds.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
Oh, drat, can't believe I forgot the Eli Monpress series by Rachel Aaron. No romance, amazing characters, just IGNORE THE COVERS. I have literally no idea what the publisher was thinking when they made them.

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

a foolish pianist posted:

Why would you post that, it has nothing to do with books?

Groke
Jul 27, 2007

SurreptitiousMuffin posted:

I tend to avoid posting/engaging in discussion about my own book because it feels very Self-Important Writer Online, but if you liked The Dawnhounds please consider nominating me for the Sir Julius Vogel Award for Best Novel this year.

Done.

Now go and write more books.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007

Take the plunge! Okay! posted:

Based on a J.G. Ballard novel, so genre-adjacent to this thread at least.

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

Black Griffon posted:

Glad you liked it and I totally know what you mean by scope. It starts out as this Clarke-esque Big Dumb Object first contact story, and then expands to this insane story thousands and thousands of years in the future. I think one of my favourite parts is when the aliens spit their ambassador back out in a Thai spacesuit that was built centuries after they left, which even with relativity should be impossible, until they realise they've actually gone waaaaay deeper into the relativistic future than they assumed.

Anyway his best standalone book is definitely House of Suns. (The robots in it are fantastic.) But pretty much everything he writes is solid. He's become, for me, a steadily predictable 4/5 stars on Goodreads; never truly stellar, but when I pick up one of his books I know it'll be a dependably readable, engaging, well-written sci-fi mystery.

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010

This post is an empty swimming pool.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

It has similar themes, eesh.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

TheAardvark posted:

Tanith Lee, particularly The Silver Metal Lover (please ignore the completely unnecessary sequel) and some of the stories in "Tales from the Flat Earth."

As for the flipside, stories of friendship without sex or romance are a bit harder to think of. Honestly, the strongest example I can think of is LOTR, with Frodo and Sam.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
The Forge of Mars by Bruce Balfour is three or four different sci-fi stories, none of them completely terrible by themselves, jammed together into an unsatisfying whole. There's a cloak-and-dagger Tomorrow AD plot about world governments and conspiracies trying to conceal the existence of alien life and harness alien technology for their own purposes. There's a traditional sci-fi first contact story about encountering and trying to communicate with life that's very different from us and communicates in different ways. There's an action story about an unlikely hero who must find it within himself to become a warrior and save the day. And there's an interplanetary love story focused on themes of identity and place. None of these stories hang around long enough to be particularly bad (not good and certainly not original, but not egregiously bad), but you can hear the metallic screeching and grinding when the book changes gears from one to the next, and with an expectedly long list of shallow characters. There's a bit of spice here in that the protagonist is half-Native American and the book engages pretty seriously with that identity, and I don't know enough about the Navajo to comment on how accurate or sensitive the portrayal is, but the whole thing ends up being a short, forgettable mess.

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

Leading us to the promised land (i.e., one tournament win in five years)

branedotorg posted:

They aren't very good though. Great concept, poor execution.

Just finished RJ Parker's boneships. That guy writes grim fantasy worlds so well, this one's a dying planet / Patrick O'Brien fantasy pastiche and it ticked a lot of boxes for me.
For those who are curious, it's Barker, not Parker. I only checked because I thought it would be pretty unfortunate for there to be both a RJ Parker and a KJ Parker.

gvibes fucked around with this message at 23:14 on Feb 24, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PawParole
Nov 16, 2019

give me a book about either first contact, or generation ships.

need to stay sane under quarantine