Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF
The show is like a hybrid of a good version of LOST and the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy. I really have zero complaints.

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Did Jason really ever do ANYTHING after the first season? He made good comedy relief and this is a comedy show so it's fine, but it feels like he rapidly became totally irrelevant to any of the plot.

He was the Molotov Cocktail thrower.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Jason pushed a lot of the plot by being the guy who did things the others wouldn't and also was a primary factor in Janet's growth.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
Jason was stupid, but he offered a unique viewpoint that the others didn't see as a result. He was the "sometimes the most obvious solution is the best one" guy, which came in handy a few times, when you have overthinkers like Eleanor, Chidi, and Michael around.

He was also the butt of the joke that made me laugh the hardest I've laughed in years when Michael got upset that Jason figured it out and that alone is worth his main character status.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I've seen so many people say that's their favourite moment, it definitely seems to be the most common.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
Really? I thought it was a real low point.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!

MikeJF posted:

I've seen so many people say that's their favourite moment, it definitely seems to be the most common.

A lot of the little jokes like that were my favorite (Janet's learning she can be passive-aggressive, Vicky's refusal to read a report without pictures, Tahani trying to make Jason and Janet feel better in the mailroom, and Michael getting his gifts from the team all come to mind) , and I feel like that is the general consensus. That said, I REALLY hope this show is remembered for more than that.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Did Jason really ever do ANYTHING after the first season? He made good comedy relief and this is a comedy show so it's fine, but it feels like he rapidly became totally irrelevant to any of the plot.

His relationship with Janet cracked the undercover janet case. He was easily the most emotionally mature when the plot decided to use that.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Also while Jason deciding to be an eternal monk would have been neat, it means we would have lost,"CHIDI, WAIT UP!" and that's not a universe that should exist :colbert:

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Rabbi Raccoon posted:

A lot of the little jokes like that were my favorite (Janet's learning she can be passive-aggressive, Vicky's refusal to read a report without pictures, Tahani trying to make Jason and Janet feel better in the mailroom, and Michael getting his gifts from the team all come to mind) , and I feel like that is the general consensus. That said, I REALLY hope this show is remembered for more than that.

I feel like it will be. If nothing else I've seen a ton of praise for being a show that told its story and ended strong which is a true relief after the vast number of popular shows that ended like rear end recently.

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

If you see something suspicious, bomb it!

Straight White Shark posted:

Really? I thought it was a real low point.

I need you know I appreciate this post.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Jerusalem posted:

Also while Jason deciding to be an eternal monk would have been neat, it means we would have lost,"CHIDI, WAIT UP!" and that's not a universe that should exist :colbert:

Counterpoint: He didn't shout "BORTLES!" as he ran through the door, and that's a travesty.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Rabbi Raccoon posted:

The only finale. There is no final season that takes place in a medical school that's only redeemed by Eliza Coupe and shirtless Michael Mosley
That last season was fantastic when it was being the new show it wanted to be instead of bringing J.D. back like so much zombie.

1glitch0 posted:

The show is like a hybrid of a good version of LOST
Lost was the good version of Lost. :colbert:

It's me. I'm the person who likes things people hated.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

WSAENOTSOCK posted:

It's me. I'm the person who likes things people hated.

As I recall, plenty of people here in TVIV absolutely LOVED Lost right up until the bitter end? I disliked large portions of the show but I actually really dug the final episode v:shobon:v

The Good Place did "the cast departs serenely into the unknown" a billion times better though.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

Jerusalem posted:

As I recall, plenty of people here in TVIV absolutely LOVED Lost right up until the bitter end? I disliked large portions of the show but I actually really dug the final episode v:shobon:v

The Good Place did "the cast departs serenely into the unknown" a billion times better though.

Yes, but that was mainly because the writers and producers of the show kept reassuring us that everything was answered and it wasn't being made up on the fly, so everyone was delighted to be dragged along for the mystery.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Jerusalem posted:

LOST had HORRIBLE pacing problems. I think people continued to like the mysteries pretty well, but I don't know anyone liked the long stretches of filler episodes followed by sudden wild shifts or like, characters dying and then being replaced by near identical characters because of actor issues. (Why is LOST the only show that seems like they struggled so much with that issue? Is it literally because it was filmed on an island? It feels like 3 or 4 major plotlines got messed up with actors leaving or leaving and returning, that feels like that happens very rarely for any other show)

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

LOST had HORRIBLE pacing problems. I think people continued to like the mysteries pretty well, but I don't know anyone liked the long stretches of filler episodes followed by sudden wild shifts or like, characters dying and then being replaced by near identical characters because of actor issues. (Why is LOST the only show that seems like they struggled so much with that issue? Is it literally because it was filmed on an island? It feels like 3 or 4 major plotlines got messed up with actors leaving or leaving and returning, that feels like that happens very rarely for any other show)

Mr. Eko at the very least got killed off entirely because his actor hated having to live in Hawaii. Dude was supposed to be incredibly important.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

It always amused me to hear them saying that the actors geting DUIs had nothing to do with them being written off, it just so happened that every actor who had a DUI was playing a character that was ALWAYS intended to be written off about that time, what a coincidence!

I was lucky in that I just gave up on the show early on, then as the final season was ramping up in the public consciousness I was able to binge through the seasons so stuff that bugged me I could immediately move past to the next episode instead of having to wait a week (or sometimes months if it was a new season, or some dumb mid-season break) and I caught up roughly in time for the final episode. That may be why a bunch of storyline hooks/plot points getting dropped didn't bother me as much, I guess, because I didn't have the emotional investment in them that others had worked up only to see them go absolutely nowhere.

Why the gently caress they didn't just shoot Ben on any of the 412 opportunities they had still drove me mad though.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
I love how Walt was important or wait no he wasn't.

Or how the smoke monster would get explained, oh wait, this guy just got pushed into a hole and became the smoke monster?

Never has a show made me more angry than LOST.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Mordiceius posted:

I love how Walt was important or wait no he wasn't.

He was EXTREMELY important... to early memes of his dad screaming words that rhymed with Walt :colbert:

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

I liked the end of Lost, the end of BSG, The Last Jedi AND The Rise of Skywalker. It's good to be able to like things. (Don't remind me that I'm a wrestling fan that can't find a way to like any current wrestling.)

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Eleanor would remind you that you can always watch Steve Austin hit Vince McMahon with a bedpan :shobon:

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Still a little mad they didn't manage to get stone cold on for a tiny cameo.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
If nothing else, this show was a good start for Ted Danceman and Christine Adele. They might have a future in this industry

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Sub Rosa posted:

I liked the end of Lost, the end of BSG, The Last Jedi AND The Rise of Skywalker. It's good to be able to like things. (Don't remind me that I'm a wrestling fan that can't find a way to like any current wrestling.)

Look, considering that AEW, NXT and NJPW are a thing I can only diagnose you with terminal bad taste.

Strong Convections
May 8, 2008

Ishamael posted:

The show was about friendship and how it can make us all better, and about how life sucks but we can all try to do a little better tomorrow than we did today.
Might be seen as nitpicky, but the difference is really important in my mind: we can do a little better today than we did yesterday.
It's about now, not later.

Zebulon
Aug 20, 2005

Oh god why does it burn?!

Mr. Powers posted:

I have to assume you mean the first finale.

The only finale. And it's definitely a bit of a gut punch.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

I mean, was there even an official season finale for the post-real cast season? I thought it was a one and done that got cancelled when the ratings tanked.

Ishamael
Feb 18, 2004

You don't have to love me, but you will respect me.

Strong Convections posted:

Might be seen as nitpicky, but the difference is really important in my mind: we can do a little better today than we did yesterday.
It's about now, not later.

True.

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

So my partner of about five years and I broke up a few months ago, but we stayed pretty much best friends after. It had been an LDR but with frequent visits. Even a great visit in January after we were broken up. We had always watched The Good Place together. I hadn't been waiting, but she had, and we binged all of the last season together except the last episode because it was after she left. We were going to watch it next month when we were going to see each other again. A couple days ago she told me that she choosing to sever, and I get and respect that decision. I'm still very very sad to lose my best friend of course. We kicked off our very last conversation ever by watching the finale at the same time. We both cried a lot, and yeah... It's okay to be sad. My last words to her were "Take it sleazy."

Thank you Good Place for providing such a perfectly resonant finale, that helped me express both how sad I was to lose my favorite person, and also how proud I was of her for leaving when she knew it was time even though she knew it would hurt someone she loves.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Thinking about the last episode and eternity keeps reminding me of 17776. I should read that again.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

WSAENOTSOCK posted:

Lost was the good version of Lost. :colbert:

That's going to cost you some points.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
It is my experience that a lot of people didn't actually understand the ending of Lost, even though it was fairly simple.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
:goonsay:

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Oasx posted:

It is my experience that a lot of people didn't actually understand the ending of Lost, even though it was fairly simple.

I have an explanation for the ending of lost, but it is too long to fit in this post.

Whiz Palace
Dec 8, 2013

MikeJF posted:

Thinking about the last episode and eternity keeps reminding me of 17776. I should read that again.

It’s a free play, buddy. The clock’s all zeroes. It’s after the end of the world. ‘Night.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

Rabbi Raccoon posted:

Jason was stupid, but he offered a unique viewpoint that the others didn't see as a result. He was the "sometimes the most obvious solution is the best one" guy, which came in handy a few times, when you have overthinkers like Eleanor, Chidi, and Michael around.

He was also the butt of the joke that made me laugh the hardest I've laughed in years when Michael got upset that Jason figured it out and that alone is worth his main character status.

It occurs to me that Jason probably had to be the first one to decide to go through the door to emphasize it was of his own volition because if he was one of the later ones the fact he's so dumb would make it seem like peer pressure.

Sloth Life
Nov 15, 2014

Built for comfort and speed!
Fallen Rib
I dunno, Jason was in many respects a visionary. His vision was small and basic but it was his own. He went first because he was the only one who was authentically happy with himself in the first place (ignorance is bliss, if you must) so he had less to work through. He wasn't very good with actual things and really hazy on the deta but he was pretty good with people (and not a person Janet) and in touch with the emotional stuff a lot.
He hot too.

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.
So obviously TGP was basically the best television show of all time and I enjoyed every bit of it, even the parts I'm about to complain about. 2 things.

First: I really thought the last few episodes (the part that takes place in the actual Good Place) were pretty unnecessary. It would have been better just to end it when they walk through the door to Heaven. Up until that point, TGP was about morality, and afterwards, was about a different, less interesting, and more insoluble philosophical problem: what's the deal with heaven? Ever since the idea of a rewarding afterlife has been proposed, humans have come up with a whole bunch of ideas of what it might be like, and all of them kinda suck. Heaven is, in my view, a bit of a flawed concept. It's supposed to be the ideal best place, but what does "best"/"good" mean? What humans call happiness is really a mixture of many different emotions, which cannot all be simultaneously maximized. Pleasure, humor, love, satisfaction - to maximize one is to deny the others. The problem, as they state it, is a lack of meaning, but since that's vague I'd rather characterize it as "satisfaction" being unattainable for a soul with infinite power.

Their solution, that I think is bullshit, is to say that death oblivion gives life afterlife meaning, and to install a euthanasia door. I'm not really sure how that's supposed to help, to be honest, and it reminds me too much of the argument that (here on Earth) death gives our much-less-perfect life meaning, which is stupid bullshit meant to justify the existence of suffering, mollify those who would criticize evil, and keep people content in the face of unfathomable darkness. I don't want to die, and I reject the idea that what I do today becomes meaningless if some scientist invents an immortality drug tomorrow.

Anyways, that whole argument about meaning and junk seems to be orthogonal to the problem of infinite power being unsatisfying. That problem doesn't have a solution, as far as I can tell. The idea of a "perfect" heaven seems like it ends up in a logical contradiction, similar to the ol' "could God make a rock so heavy even he couldn't lift it" paradox. Either heaven doesn't exist, it does but it's not "perfectly" good, or its nature is beyond the ability of humans to understand.

They could have done much more with that but ultimately it wouldn't make good television and it wasn't necessary for TGP to do. Ultimately it was kind of an excuse for them to talk about death in a show where everyone was already dead, I guess. But it felt weak, philosophically speaking.

Second: I'm kind of annoyed at how they examined the biggest moral problem with the Bad Place. Yes, it's bad that the judgement is unfair, and that no one got into the Good Place for 500 years. But focusing on that sort of distracted from the main problem, which is that people were being tortured forever. Obviously the idea is that someone who's mostly good but drinks almond milk would be tortured forever is unfair. But they never take that to its logical conclusion. Torturing Chidi forever is immoral, but also, torturing Hitler forever is immoral.

On a basic level, pretty much every moral system ever devised thinks that punishment should fit crime. It makes no sense for Chidi and Hitler to be tortured the same amount. And it makes no sense for anyone who lived a finite life to get infinite torture. That's God/the Devil/the Universe/Shawn doing literally infinitely times worse to them in the Bad Place than they did on Earth. Hitler is a goddamn saint compared to the God who condemns Hitler to infinite torture.

But furthermore: why should anyone get any torture, or any punishment at all? Why does punishment exist, as a concept? The only real moral answer is "to discourage bad behavior." But Hitler isn't going to be released back onto Earth, rehabilitated. He's not going to be doing any behavior ever again, so why try to change his behavior through punishment? And the denizens of Earth aren't aware (at least not for certain) of his punishment, so it can't be a deterrent for them, either. At that point, isn't torturing Hitler just more unnecessary suffering?

TGP ends up sidestepping the issue, and sort of solving it by accident. But they never address it, and in a show about morality in the context of the Christian afterlife (I know they say it's not exactly like Christianity but i mean come on) it seems like a big oversight not to talk about the BIG question of the morality of the Christian afterlife.

Personally, since the first time they took the train to the Medium Place, I'd been hoping that the series ends with them invading the Good Place and killing God (who'd probably be called The First Architect or something) for the crime of creating the Bad Place, destroying the entire universe in the process. Or something like that. Instead, they fix the system, but there is no explanation or even exploration of where the flawed system came from, nor even a full exploration of those flaws, which left me with metaphysical blue balls.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Yeah I was also kinda hoping for xenosaga/golden compass but was pretty sure they were not going to go that route.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schneider Inside Her
Aug 6, 2009

Please bitches. If nothing else I am a gentleman
The Good Place? More like The Good Show.

Man, I loved this show. Was so fresh and novel. Most TV shows are really bad. Not this show, though. Not this show.