Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Should there even be a poll here???
This poll is closed.
Yes 106 15.84%
No 117 17.49%
Goku 446 66.67%
Total: 669 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
The perfect margarita is Jose Guervo margarita mix and vodka.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HugeGrossBurrito
Mar 20, 2018

Push El Burrito posted:

The perfect margarita is Jose Guervo margarita mix and vodka.

This is true lose the marg mix tho

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013
Nah you're supposed to put vermouth on the ice, then throw out the vermouth and add your gin/vodka.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RU_65qNLnwk

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

large_gourd posted:

so

if this space room was huge, and you had no force moving in any direction, would you just be stuck in the centre of it? FOREVER?

it looks like this guy's pathetic worm wriggling might be causing some slight force to move him to the left, so maybe it would just take a really long time.

You can swim. It's really ineffective swimming because you're pushing on air instead of water and it just doesn't have the density to give you any real thrust. But it will work eventually.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
I think the analogy is that it's like riding a bike with the gear set impossibly below the usual minimum. You're doing a lot of spinning with almost no resistance for not much movement. But there technically is resistance so technically you are moving.

You would only be trapped forever if you were in a vacuum.

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013
"stop! stop! you're violating the NAP!" cries the libertarian as the anarchists laugh and use brooms to keep them spinning in place in the center of a room in a space habitat.

Shut up Meg
Jan 8, 2019

You're safe here.
I don't know how to do the math, but theoretically you can propel yourself by farting, though I suspect it will be really, really slow.

E: this is a setup for someone to do the math.

Shut up Meg fucked around with this message at 01:06 on Feb 25, 2020

Delthalaz
Mar 5, 2003

Slippery Tilde
Or blowing out your mouth

Beartaco
Apr 10, 2007

by sebmojo

What a cool video! I always wondered how easy it would be to swim in low gravity. The answer? Not very!

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003

How did I even get here, son?!

Captain Hygiene posted:

Of course! It's right there in the Sacred Texts

e: the schadenfreude is on my brain every time I've tried to read that :psyduck:

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

There's a whole bunch of Youtube "experiments" where they set up coins on tabletops and set their video camera at the side and move the coin around the table, it's absolutely adorable how stupid they are :allears:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O5M7vdrBrZc

This next guy actually used a little model ship and a big mirror on a wobbly ramp because SCIECNE!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y_arVHYRPlg

I realized immediately that I shouldn't have asked the question and that I was unwilling to read or view any primary documents from these guys

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

Mauser posted:

I realized immediately that I shouldn't have asked the question and that I was unwilling to read or view any primary documents from these guys

So what you're saying is, you're afraid of The TRUTH?

trickybiscuits
Jan 13, 2008

yospos

gschmidl posted:

loving worthless, he was cleared of the strongest charge and faces "up to" 25 years in prison, i.e. it's gonna be loving nothing because this is hellworld.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

He's also got charges in California I think, so he's not finished with court yet by a long shot.

I think the judge took him into custody without bail too.

After watching the Michael Jackson trial in 2005, I'm amazed that he was convicted of anything.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Shut up Meg posted:

I don't know how to do the math, but theoretically you can propel yourself by farting, though I suspect it will be really, really slow.

Piss would work too, although if you're not careful all you'll do is start yourself spinning.

Jollity Farm
Apr 23, 2010

And then be encircled by a ring of piss.

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
The tricky bit would be actually stopping without anything nearby, since you need some thrust to get there, then a way to decellerate again or you just keep going until you hit the opposite wall.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

oh dope posted:

What about pissing

What you angled your Weiner and pissed and it started spinning you around. A pinwheel of piss, or pisswheel, if you will.

then you drown in a piss blob later

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

"It was like that when you brought it in", obviously.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

It's just shedding. It'll be a semi-trailer soon!

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

So break it down for a layman, how the hell does that happen?

Nyan Bread
Mar 17, 2006

In the sedate weightlessness of the derelict space station's observation room Jack tuck his legs in and spun faster and faster, rendering the peeling walls and the floor below him a streaking gray rainbow.

The golden crescents stacking so precisely atop one another they'd need the most powerful of extimators to separate each individual of Jack's exertions. Basked by the godly rays of the orbiting hydrogen ball, Jack's own golden sphere was beginning to take the hue of a perfectly golden cocoon, his droplets suspended perfectly in the stillness of the dynamo.

He knew that the only way to pierce the cursed veil of quarks was for his frail body to achieve a minimum centrifugal force of over 9000 rotations per minute while the planet's gravity well was at its strongest. To save her on the other side, he had 10 minutes and he knew he had to squeeze like he never squeezed before. His wrist strap was flashing red and showing 7503, time to pull out the extra-large can of Monster energy drink he'd saved in his breast pocket for this exact occasion...

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Ships were made for sinking;
Whiskey made for drinking;
If we were made of cellophane
We'd all get stinking drunk much faster!

SilvergunSuperman posted:

So break it down for a layman, how the hell does that happen?

You’re supposed to support the heavy part of the car. They supported the light part.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Double Punctuation posted:

You’re supposed to support the heavy part of the car. They supported the light part.

Ok, in my mind that would cause it to fall not look like it was bisected by a dark souls boss.

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

I had the opportunity to change literally anything about the world and I used it to get a new av

SilvergunSuperman posted:

Ok, in my mind that would cause it to fall not look like it was bisected by a dark souls boss.

It’s a truck, body on frame. If you only support the shell all the other shits just gonna fall right out.

A unibody car wouldn’t do this.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Ah I get it, thanks.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

gschmidl posted:

loving worthless, he was cleared of the strongest charge and faces "up to" 25 years in prison, i.e. it's gonna be loving nothing because this is hellworld.

https://i.imgur.com/ug2fex9.mp4

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
https://twitter.com/marsijuanass/status/1211342182134628354

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer
This is almost assuredly STDH.txt rather than relationships.txt, but it's fun to pretend that TooManyAnts is just the hero we need :)

https://twitter.com/redditships/status/1230513886127894528

I made an Imgur gallery of all the screenshots from a couple of different tweets in the thread: https://imgur.com/a/Qa8HgQ1

Beer_Suitcase
May 3, 2005

Verily, the whip is ghost riding.

large_gourd posted:

so

if this space room was huge, and you had no force moving in any direction, would you just be stuck in the centre of it? FOREVER?

it looks like this guy's pathetic worm wriggling might be causing some slight force to move him to the left, so maybe it would just take a really long time.

Start ripping out nose hairs in hope that you sneeze?

If you are outside, couldn't you take off a glove and let your hand/arm freeze, snap it off then huck that to get moving?

Beer_Suitcase fucked around with this message at 08:38 on Feb 25, 2020

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

The Lone Badger posted:

You can swim. It's really ineffective swimming because you're pushing on air instead of water and it just doesn't have the density to give you any real thrust. But it will work eventually.

Presumably breast stroke? I'd have thought anything with a circular motion would just set you spinning in the opposite direction you were moving your arms.

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Shut up Meg posted:

A quick google says average gas volume for a fart is 5-375ml (really useful range, let's say 200ml), and is slightly heavier than air (200ml of air weighs 1.29kg, so let's say 1.3kg), moving at 3 m/s.

So theoretically an average fart provides 3.9N of force over half a second, enough force to accelerate an average American man (88kg) from 0 to 0.02216 m/s, or less than an inch a second.

Obviously there's massive confounding factors here, from the - ahem - nozzle design through to the angle of the force relative to the body (I suspect it'd actually mostly spin you), and I'm sure I remember that astronauts often have problems with feeling bloated because the digestive system uses gravity to sort the farts from the turds but I've done enough space fart googling for first thing in the morning.

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

goddamnedtwisto posted:

A quick google says average gas volume for a fart is 5-375ml (really useful range, let's say 200ml), and is slightly heavier than air (200ml of air weighs 1.29kg, so let's say 1.3kg), moving at 3 m/s.

So theoretically an average fart provides 3.9N of force over half a second, enough force to accelerate an average American man (88kg) from 0 to 0.02216 m/s, or less than an inch a second.

Obviously there's massive confounding factors here, from the - ahem - nozzle design through to the angle of the force relative to the body (I suspect it'd actually mostly spin you), and I'm sure I remember that astronauts often have problems with feeling bloated because the digestive system uses gravity to sort the farts from the turds but I've done enough space fart googling for first thing in the morning.

You must really have been keeping it in to pressurize your farts to 6.5 times the density of water.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Lurking Haro posted:

You must really have been keeping it in to pressurize your farts to 6.5 times the density of water.

Oh bollocks, managed to paste the wrong end of the calculation somehouw (1.29kg is the weight of a whole cubic metre of air). I guess the lesson here is you need to really stock up on beans if you're going into space.

Teach
Mar 28, 2008

Pillbug
There's a Love, Death & Robots episode where

quote:

Overworked and underpaid by the E-Z Orbital Maintenance Company, working class hero Alexandria Stephens attends to a faulty satellite in Earth orbit. While in mid-operation her old-model EVA suit is randomly hit by a stray screw from orbital debris, damaging her oxygen tanks, disabling the mobility unit, and casting her hopelessly adrift in open space. A rescue team can reach her in 58 minutes, but her compromised oxygen supply will only last 14 minutes. She seals the upper left arm of her suit using her watch strap, then removes the left glove, exposing her left arm to the vacuum of space. Throwing the glove pushes her back toward the satellite. Unfortunately, she narrowly misses grabbing hold of the satellite. As she drifts back past her beaten up maintenance vehicle The Anthem, she decides to break off her now frozen left forearm, and throws it in a last ditch attempt to make it back to her ship. Back onboard she performs emergency self triage then radios Bill, her ground controller, who asks with relief if she "still needs a hand?"

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
Pet peeve: Space isn't cold. It's not anything. Unless there's something cold nearby to absorb warmth, you'll be the same temperature as before you took off the space suit. You may even end up cooked if you're in direct sunlight.

Teach
Mar 28, 2008

Pillbug
Check out this guy who hasn't heard of radiation. I mean, I'm not going to go to the trouble of googling it, but a warm body will radiate heat energy in space, surely?

Edit - also, CMB radiation has space at 2.7K. So, it is cold?

2nd Edit - OK this is quite interesting. http://sitn.hms.harvard.edu/flash/2013/space-human-body/

Teach fucked around with this message at 10:33 on Feb 25, 2020

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
bwah? Space is cold. Things freeze there, as evidenced by comets. Freezing off an arm that's still attached to a warm body is pretty bad scifi, but if we dropped you off naked drifting in the shadow of a planet and came back a month later, you'd be a popsicle.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!

Serephina posted:

bwah? Space is cold. Things freeze there, as evidenced by comets. Freezing off an arm that's still attached to a warm body is pretty bad scifi, but if we dropped you off naked drifting in the shadow of a planet and came back a month later, you'd be a popsicle.

As I understand it part of the issue is that while space is cold if you're not in relative proximity to a star, it's also empty.

Like, when you're getting chilly outside in windy weather, it's because of a fresh influx of cold atmospheric air that you transfer body heat to. In space, there aren't a lot of particles for your heat to go to, and radiative cooling is comparatively inefficient. So yes, after a month in the shadow of a planet you would probably be frozen, but you wouldn't instantly frash-freeze the moment you stuck your hand out of the air lock.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
It’s not really helpful to think of space as being cold or hot.

More than anything, it’s an insulator.

PurpleXVI posted:

So yes, after a month in the shadow of a planet you would probably be frozen, but you wouldn't instantly frash-freeze the moment you stuck your hand out of the air lock.

Not months.

For a spherical, naked man in a vacuum, it would take tens of minutes for hypothermia to set in and hours to freeze solid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Platystemon posted:

For a spherical, naked man in a vacuum, it would take tens of minutes for hypothermia to set in and hours to freeze solid.

As a near-spherical human who occasionally gets naked, thanks for the warning