Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Athas
Aug 6, 2007

fuck that joker

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

to be fair this is just "how lisp was done" for forty years -- the old maclisp and cmucl had related heap-dumping mechanisms

Yeah, but they dumped the Lisp heap (and controlled the layout entirely themselves), not the bizarre unexec poo poo that Emacs got up to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

yeah, i'm a bit surprised they didn't solve this by adding better dumping primitives to elisp and do it all on the lisp side. a bit worse performance than being able to mmap in a frozen version of almost the whole program i guess, but, like, how bad can this possibly be?

plus one would be able to also "bake" ones init.el in a clean way, and tbqh my init.el doesn't take that much less time than the startup baked by unexec (because i do many really unnecessary dumb things in it)

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

does this thread have an opinion on UnRaid? I want to pool up a bunch of disks with a dell raid card and not paying for a windows server license would be nice.

ZFS but amateur and without the good parts, is my impression. And marketed at "hardcore gamers" according to their website, so that disqualifies that trash immediately.

Ditch the card unless it can run as a dumb HBA. Sun had a burning hatred for raid cards and they were absolutely correct.

There are two modern file systems, btrfs and zfs. If you want raid, you either do mdraid+btrfs (because btrfs has a terrible raid implementation) or zfs. Zfs is the only file system I trust and is by far the most pleasant to actually deal with.

If you just want a NAS and not deal with the internal crap, I hear freenas is still okay.

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

btrfs raid 1, 0, 10, 1c3 and 1c4 does not have that write hole problem. the issues with btrfs raid5 and 6 is a bit overblown too, but i guess you can't ever be sure that you'll get an unclean shutdown during a write at the perfectly wrong time, so be aware i guess

there is a big plus with using btrfs raid over mdadm raid, and that is mixing and matching uneven disks and still guarantee data integrity. here's a neat calculator for showing what's possible: https://carfax.org.uk/btrfs-usage/

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

don’t use btrfs or zfs. if ext4 or xfs don’t suit your needs then you’re needs are wrong hth

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

my life quality went considerately up after switching from xfs to btrfs years back, it makes doing backups extremely neat and simple. but, as with other filesystems, you have to know its caveats for not loving it up:

- dont use it on lvm
- know when to use nocow (dbs, vms, logs)
- remember that btrfs send/recv does not transfer nocow attrs
- raid56 has a write hole issue, so don't use it if you're not on a ups/battery. (i've run btrfs raid6 as a test on one of my backup servers for years without issue though, but of course it has offsite backups too)

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

We have ~0.5PB on ZFS and I use it at home in a simple mirror. The weird Windows people get access to hourly snapshots via the "previous versions" tab and the Linux people know how to copy from the snapdir. Not having to go to backup because some numpty unlinked a TB of research data is its own reward.

Also, not having to deal with btrfs caveats is nice. ZFS's caveats are much more interesting and fun, but at least they don't eat your data.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
at this point, i'm just using ceph

it's cool and good

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Using ceph… on top of zfs. :hmmyes:

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

btrfs is much more forgiving than zfs when it comes to raid configuring. i linked someones blog post about it many pages ago.

Five Years of Btrfs

use one of the safe raid modes if you're worried about the write hole issue. i wouldn't worry about any data eating issues no more than with any other file system.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

thanks for the replies but holy crap I don’t want to janitor my home nas so freenas it is I guess!

I’m pooling up a bunch of 1 and 2 tb disks to make like 10 or 12tb depending on how many I have and how many are left for failures, so nothing too huge

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

I don’t want to janitor my home nas

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

I’m pooling up a bunch of 1 and 2 tb disks to make like 10 or 12tb

hmm

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

thanks for the replies but holy crap I don’t want to janitor my home nas so freenas it is I guess!

I’m pooling up a bunch of 1 and 2 tb disks to make like 10 or 12tb depending on how many I have and how many are left for failures, so nothing too huge

friend, you want unraid.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

yes but I expect it to suck and not work well, which I wouldn’t if I was truly janitoring it.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
the electrical costs alone should pay for replacing those 1tb disks with something sane

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

I just have a synology ds413 (4 drives, 2013), still works fine and still gets updates, with extremely minimal janitoring. the cpu is probably quite slow these days but that doesn’t matter for playing linux isos off it

it had been shut off for over a year during an international move, just got it plugged in again a couple days ago and one of the drives (bought 8 years ago when the thing was new) had click of death. popped in a new bigger drive and it repaired on its own in a day or so

it started off with 2x1tb + 2x2tb, then a few years later the 1tbs were both replaced with 4tbs when those started getting cheap, and now the quite old 2tbs are both being replaced with another two 4tbs. outside of occasionally going into the UI and hitting the update button this has basically been the entirety of my janitoring of the thing over several years and several moves

it’s raid5 right now but with the recent capacity upgrade I don’t need 12tb storage and it looks like I could live convert it to raid6 if I wanted

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

oh and it uses regular md raid or something underneath with a thick veneer of automation on top

also can run third party packages of questionable origin and you can enable ssh and log into it directly if you want but *taps minimal janitoring rule*

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Using a NAS is boring. Where's your sense for adventure? :colbert:

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Athas posted:

Yeah, but they dumped the Lisp heap (and controlled the layout entirely themselves), not the bizarre unexec poo poo that Emacs got up to.

yeah like lots of things RMS has done he made a cheap imitation of what some better and more careful system designers put together

I just got a Symbolics 3620 and MacIvory 2 (in a kitted-out IIfx), the 3620 will require a ton of restoration though including extremely deep cleaning thanks to vermin

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

eschaton posted:

yeah like lots of things RMS has done he made a cheap imitation of what some better and more careful system designers put together

I just got a Symbolics 3620 and MacIvory 2 (in a kitted-out IIfx), the 3620 will require a ton of restoration though including extremely deep cleaning thanks to vermin

i had long wanted a ux400 or ux1200, the vme counterparts to the macivory 1 and 2

what i never anticipated is by the time a ux400 came along at a somewhat olerable price, it was no longer possible to find the once-common sun4 systems that it was meant to slot into

so i passed on it :smith:

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

sun boxes owned. I ran Debian on a sparc 5 for a while and it was pretty ok

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
sun was good and cool

pity they had no business model

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
speaking of rms, apparently the acting president of the fsf has been completely melting down

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

rjmccall posted:

speaking of rms, apparently the acting president of the fsf has been completely melting down

do tell

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe

https://twitter.com/mjg59/status/1232441610031357953
https://twitter.com/mjg59/status/1232441610777972737
https://twitter.com/mjg59/status/1232441883135053824

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
jesus is the whole organization hosed

this was the best they could do?

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
its an organization as worthless as the software it promotes

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
i am partial to "free software 9/11"

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

it would make a good thread title

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

i had long wanted a ux400 or ux1200, the vme counterparts to the macivory 1 and 2

what i never anticipated is by the time a ux400 came along at a somewhat olerable price, it was no longer possible to find the once-common sun4 systems that it was meant to slot into

so i passed on it :smith:

shoulda grabbed one of those too when they were a dime a dozen

I also just got a Sun-4/110 (with stand) for cheap from someone who might have more, I can find out if you want

then if I can wrangle a UX400S or UX1200S (which are the same as the XL400/1200 with different PALs and jumpering) I’ll have something to put it in

if you have another 9U VME system (or want to run something other than an ancient SunOS) the complete sources for the lispm lifesupport are known, so technically you could build it yourself

Symbolics had a partial port of the lifesupport to Irix and filed for UX400G and UX1200G trademarks so they were definitely planning on people running them outside Suns

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Last Chance posted:

it would make a good thread title

2019 is the Year of Free Software 9/11

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
9/11 software was a FOSS job.

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.

quote:

"Free Software Sept 11"

MODS

klafbang
Nov 18, 2009
Clapping Larry
9/11 is the day of GNU on the desktop

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

eschaton posted:

I also just got a Sun-4/110 (with stand) for cheap from someone who might have more, I can find out if you want

first off, i'm on the wrong coast, shipping would be insane

secondly, the 4/110 sucked real bad. the good vme sparcs that they would have been targeting with the "ux" products were the big desksides -- 4/470, 670mp, etc. 2nd and 3rd gen equipment. the 4/110 was like the roadrunner. it was almost a customer-facing beta product.

the 4/110 is a super cool item for its own sake -- the first real sparc! -- but i don't think it would make a great host for a lispm vme board

lastly i mostly just feel guilty about the number of 670mps i have seen go to scrap in my life. why the gently caress didn't i rescue a couple of those back in the day

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

a second linux has hit the desktop tower

mystes
May 31, 2006

All gnu software is half off on free software 9/11!

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

it turns out when you take the weirdest people in a very weird niche of a weird subculture and give them a public platform they act weird and loving blow it big time

:iiam:

haunted bong
Jun 24, 2007

josh04 posted:

a second linux has hit the desktop tower

Allahu slackware

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

This post is dedicated to the brave Mujahideen fighters of Afghanistan
it’s time to fork gnu software (a full featured OS as defined by posix which runs on the Linux kernel)