Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
You may want to watch this video re: the Switch's parental controls if you haven't already. (because it's great) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=03bAayBtcb0

Short version, Nintendo's behind with the internet but also cautious enough to make sure they leave the least angles for 'Mario Kart made my son racist' clickbait, and the parental controls seem pretty robust if you know what you're doing with them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

The thing that annoys me about splatoon (aside from the crazy long queue times) is how certain game modes are time locked. Not online when salmon run is available? Too bad!

Let us just play the modes we want dammit.

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

You may want to watch this video re: the Switch's parental controls if you haven't already. (because it's great) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=03bAayBtcb0

Short version, Nintendo's behind with the internet but also cautious enough to make sure they leave the least angles for 'Mario Kart made my son racist' clickbait, and the parental controls seem pretty robust if you know what you're doing with them.

Is this video voiced by Morgan Webb?

POCKET CHOMP
Jul 20, 2003

me irl.

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

The thing that annoys me about splatoon (aside from the crazy long queue times) is how certain game modes are time locked. Not online when salmon run is available? Too bad!

After Final Fest they greatly increased the frequency of Salmon Runs. I still don't get the point of closing it at all but you have a pretty small chance of catching the closed window now.

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

Nintendo doesn't let other players communicate with you, so they actually have the best online system. I hope the others catch up someday.

kidfresca
Dec 31, 2007

You're kidding, right?

John Lennon, Singer of The Beatles. He wrote the song "Imagine" and was shot and killed some time in the eighties.

Fuck has the WHOLE WORLD GONE CRAZY!

The Splatoon 2 single player campaign has a lot of replay value. After the first time you clear it, you have the option to go back and play any level with any weapon (and it tracks which you've cleared with what if you want to be a completionist). The Octo Expansion similarly has extended replay value, although it's even better because you get all of the choices upfront from the first playthrough. If you can't get a good deal buying the two together, it might be a good idea to hold off on Octo Expansion in case the game doesn't hold your kid's interest. It's noticeably more difficult than the base campaign, but overall way, way better both gameplay-wise and from an atmosphere/narrative perspective.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

ColdPie posted:

Nintendo doesn't let other players communicate with you, so they actually have the best online system. I hope the others catch up someday.

This. No game has ever been improved by the ability of random people being able to scream slurs at you from the comfort of their own home.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

I just turn the chat stuff off in those games

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

History Comes Inside! posted:

This. No game has ever been improved by the ability of random people being able to scream slurs at you from the comfort of their own home.

Does this actually happen or it just something people say on internet forums?

Fun Times!
Dec 26, 2010
Had eshop cred/gold points and impulse bought Rune Factory for $8, bring on the weebs. Got pre-purchase swimsuit DLC :mrwhite:

el dingo
Mar 19, 2009

Ogres are like onions

JollyBoyJohn posted:

Have you ever played a MOBA

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

el dingo posted:

Have you ever played a MOBA

Yup, the only people that sounded explicitly angry spoke Russian so its hard to tell

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

JollyBoyJohn posted:

It definitely was 5 years ago. "Getting called slurs by a 13-year-old" was the true online gaming experience. I know that there's been a lot more vigorous enforcement of community standards since those days, so maybe less now?

I still see something like it in games my kids play like agar.io. Not vocally, but in usernames and whatnot.

Honestly tho, I am completely done with online gaming anymore. I just consider it a lazy shortcut game developers take so they don't need to spend time creating content.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

dwarf74 posted:

Honestly tho, I am completely done with online gaming anymore. I just consider it a lazy shortcut game developers take so they don't need to spend time creating content.

I feel the same but its mostly wanting that satisfaction of finishing a game and feeling I'm done with it and most multiplayer games just want you to keep playing and buying the season pass and ignoring all other games

Lube Enthusiast
May 26, 2016

Genuinely wish Splatoon’s “Booyah!” button was in other online games

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

JollyBoyJohn posted:

I've actively avoided online multiplayer in most titles for the last few years so maybe it's better, but prior to that I've been called enough slurs of different stripes to last a lifetime.

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die
I'm generally not into JRPGs at all, but I gotta say, Dragon Quest XI: Echoes of an Elusive Age: Definitive Edition: S absolutely whips rear end. The art, animation, character design, enemy design, music, voice acting, and story have so much heart. It's just very wholesome. Not an ounce of cynicism in this game. It's apparently 60,000 hours long, but so slow and relaxed that you don't feel like you need to play more than half an hour per day

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

POCKET CHOMP posted:

After Final Fest they greatly increased the frequency of Salmon Runs. I still don't get the point of closing it at all but you have a pretty small chance of catching the closed window now.

Closing it encourages you to play the main modes more, so the multiplayer stays fairly populated. Anecdotally, I find myself not even turning the game on at all unless Salmon Run is open. If not for my Switch backlog, I'd probably hop into Turf War a bunch on off days, but yeah, Salmon Run is just loads of fun. If it was forever open, I would literally never play any other mode for the rest of the game's lifespan.

Jables88
Jul 26, 2010
Tortured By Flan

Polo-Rican posted:

I'm generally not into JRPGs at all, but I gotta say, Dragon Quest XI: Echoes of an Elusive Age: Definitive Edition: S absolutely whips rear end. The art, animation, character design, enemy design, music, voice acting, and story have so much heart. It's just very wholesome. Not an ounce of cynicism in this game. It's apparently 60,000 hours long, but so slow and relaxed that you don't feel like you need to play more than half an hour per day

Only played the demo (which itself is like 6 hours lmao) but this was very much my take.

There are two great classic JRPG series - Final Fantasy and Dragon Quest.

Final Fantasy chucks out their rulebook and reinvents systems every game, for better or worse.
Dragon Quest just iterates and iterates and iterates and so XI is just brutally effective in hooking you into that classic JRPG feel.

cats
May 11, 2009
Just don't forget that there's no local multiplayer with Splatoon! Just in case dad wants to play together with kid.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
Dragon quest looks incredible but it seemed like you could play it for hours without anything really exciting happening

Jables88
Jul 26, 2010
Tortured By Flan

JollyBoyJohn posted:

Dragon quest looks incredible but it seemed like you could play it for hours without anything really exciting happening

Yes, it's the creamy mashed potatoes of JRPGs. It's comfort food.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

About parental controls, I remember there being a Lego building game (or lego knockoff, whatever), that was a endless war between the moderator teams and the users over the endless dicks built across the land. The moderators gave up when the players realized they could use perspective trickery to make the dongs.

I think about the ingenuity required to do that a lot.

Marzzle
Dec 1, 2004

Bursting with flavor

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

it creates an artificial sense of urgency that gets you to play the game more because you have a souped up monkey brain in your skull that's easily tricked with psychology poo poo

getting more and more common in online game stuff. tbh I think it's dumb as gently caress but it prob makes some "engagement" metric go up so devs do it

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

ColdPie posted:

But then how can I hear all the weird Jerry Springer stuff that happens around people who don’t realize they’re playing with a hot mic?

robot roll call
Mar 7, 2006

dance dance dance dance dance to the radio

Araxxor posted:

And the DLC campaign costs $20, so you're paying $80 total for a single player shooter game if you grab Octo Expansion. And the online costs $20 assuming you don't have it already, so that's a $100 package in total. If you're not going to be playing online, it's absolutely not worth it.

That's just the tip of the iceberg. If you want to play the game you're also going to need a Nintendo Switch which will cost you between 150-300 dollars. Next, your body burns calories while you sit and play, so you're going to need to purchase enough food to meet your nutritional needs which can be quite pricey depending on how many people you're providing for. Don't get me started on the other hidden costs like shelter/electricity, etc. At the end of the day Splatoon 2 is probably the most expensive game of all time.

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

Even when voice chat isn't a a bunch of people screaming racial slurs at me and they're actually trying to talk about the game, it's so many people yelling over each other at once that it's kind of useless.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Literally every online game is improved by easy communication between friends and people defending Nintendo being poo poo at online is really dumb

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

PSA: The best Mega Man games are out on the Switch today. Wow!!

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Andrast posted:

Literally every online game is improved by easy communication between friends and people defending Nintendo being poo poo at online is really dumb

My friends and I have kinda given up on playing stuff online on Switch unless it's goofing around in Smash.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Andrast posted:

Counterpoint: I used to agree until I played Halo Reach again when it hit pc and turns out I didn't actually miss 12 year olds shrieking the f word all that much

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

RBA Starblade posted:

Counterpoint: I used to agree until I played Halo Reach again when it hit pc and turns out I didn't actually miss 12 year olds shrieking the f word all that much

why are you speaking with rando 12 year olds instead of your friends

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

Augus posted:

poo poo gotta finish the collection now

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Andrast posted:

why are you speaking with rando 12 year olds instead of your friends

It's in-game team chat, we switched to discord after

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

RBA Starblade posted:

It's in-game team chat, we switched to discord after

That's why the Switch should have the ability form a voice chat group with friends like the other consoles

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Andrast posted:

That's why the Switch should have the ability form a voice chat group with friends like the other consoles

No, I was on my computer, I used an outside application

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib

Augus posted:

:yeah:

MMZ3 is my fave but they're all really fuckin good. I don't think people were jazzed over 4 but it's still impressive they were experimenting with new mechanics like the Knuckle and weather system so late in the series.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

RBA Starblade posted:

No, I was on my computer, I used an outside application

Yes I got that. Since the Switch can't run outside applications like discord, it should have the same chat features that the other consoles have.

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

Andrast posted:

This would be a good feature. Not having voice chat with pubbies at all on Switch is also good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Marx Headroom posted:

:yeah:

MMZ3 is my fave but they're all really fuckin good. I don't think people were jazzed over 4 but it's still impressive they were experimenting with new mechanics like the Knuckle and weather system so late in the series.

ZX is still my fave even taking into account the awkward open world elements. The level design is so good, the difficulty is just right, and it’s a great throwback to the original X’s underdog story

Augus fucked around with this message at 17:23 on Feb 25, 2020