Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
The current Kara no Kyoukai event is good because it gives a lot of screen time to my boy Mephisto.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KR2zsX7bWhs

(the trailers are all really good)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

taser rates
Mar 30, 2010

ReverendHammer posted:

Even then it's still going to be rather odd if you have played F/E (admittedly I've only done the Nero route). Once I realized one of the main people involved was also behind the anime adaptations of the Monogatari light novel series (Bakemonogatari, etc.) it made sense why it was presented in such a way. I know it wasn't mean to be a straight up adaptation of F/E but still. It made sense for Monogatari. Not so much for Fate. I am glad they dropped the Lil Ronnie/Lancer Vlad part though. God that chapter was dumb.

The best thing about Last Encore? It's wall to wall UMU.

Honestly I'd love for there to be more Shaft-esque adaptations of Type Moon stuff. Ufotable is great and all, but the way Shaft adaptations present the headspace of their characters visually would be an amazing fit imo.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

I want a 90s OVA of Shimousa.

Edit: And Shinjuku too.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

So there can be gratuitous nudity?

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Stairmaster posted:

So there can be gratuitous nudity?

Mostly the atmosphere and soundtrack and animation style.

Agartha would be the one with gratuitous nudity.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Darth Walrus posted:

Did this episode of Babylonia have a guest director? The character designs, animation and colouring were quite different.

I'm not sure but goddamn it was beautiful. I'd love to see more like this.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

i stopped watching ages ago but this ep seemed the same as early stuff aside from typical nakaya onsen deformity/shading in the quetz NP stuff they animated

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

dogsicle posted:

i stopped watching ages ago but this ep seemed the same as early stuff aside from typical nakaya onsen deformity/shading in the quetz NP stuff they animated

There was definitely less/different shading on the characters throughout the episode, which I assumed was to facilitate more complex/natural motion. They even had it in the quiet chats the night before the operation.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this

Darth Walrus posted:

Did this episode of Babylonia have a guest director? The character designs, animation and colouring were quite different.
It was directed by Nakaya Onsen. He also did the big ep in Apocrypha.

Interestingly he's mentioned he doesn't find FGO very interesting but it's where the money goes so here we are lol. Dude prefers Apo.

As another fun fact this was actually his first time as episode director!

Kyte fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Feb 23, 2020

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

i have even more respect for onsen now

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Kyte posted:

Interestingly he's mentioned he doesn't find FGO very interesting but it's where the money goes so here we are lol. Dude prefers Apo.
It's very important to have an Apo, after all!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3evf7w158mw

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
Do the other versions of Apocrypha have a different reception than the anime? I've been reading the manga by Ishida and it benefits a lot from Ishida just being a dope artist and talented, consistent storyteller, but even then since it's such a huge roster, even then it's kinda uneven in how entertaining it is from moment to moment.

I guess what I'm really asking is: is Jeanne less boring in the light novel?

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

You would have to drastically rewrite sieg and Jeanne to unfuck apocrypha, imo, so its doubtful, but its not like there isn't a seed of a good idea there so anything is possible

I actually put on apocrypha as background while I was doing some other work and honestly, it's not as bad as I remember initially? Like, there are absolutely some massive what the fucks, and the good poo poo to bland poo poo ratio is pretty skewed, but its solidly like a B or C tier show? Also the Galvanism reveal was pretty hype, even if it did involve The Worst Fate Protag, because it still involved the bestzerker on a tangential level

Babysitter Super Sleuth fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Feb 23, 2020

Tribladeofchaos
Jul 2, 2008

IT'S SHOWTIME!

Jeanne really only got cool when they leaned into her weirdo big sis traits and made her more goofy. Same sorta thing that happened to Artoria.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

i wish jeanne was my big sis. being an only child sucked

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Seiba was always cool :colbert:

Also for all the problems with Apo, I'm still a huge fan of most of its characters, and of course there's all the times they just took the chance to flex their animation muscles.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
What is annoying is that Siegfried could have bounced off quite well with Mordred but he just gets swallowed up by the charisma vacuum that is Sieg.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day

Wark Say posted:

Eh, FGO Babylonia works well enough on its own. I mean, I know precious little about the game aside from:
  • The gargantuan success it has met so far.
  • That it has 7 chapters so far.
  • That emulation and trying to get around the region locks has been a complete failure on my end. :negative:
... and I still enjoyed the anime for the most part!

Just download and install the QooApp apk from their website, super easy.

taser rates posted:

Honestly I'd love for there to be more Shaft-esque adaptations of Type Moon stuff. Ufotable is great and all, but the way Shaft adaptations present the headspace of their characters visually would be an amazing fit imo.

Last Encore rocked and the style meshed perfectly with the narrative structure and type of story it was trying to tell.

Conspiratiorist fucked around with this message at 22:45 on Feb 23, 2020

RevolverDivider
Nov 12, 2016

Last Encore sucks but at least it’s an interesting and crazy kind of suck unlike the boring kind of suck 2/3rds of apocrypha is

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009
sieg and jeanne are both decent characters in fgo imo

granted with sieg they basically just completely rewrite his character, he's way goofier and they lean on the whole 'dragon' aspect of him more

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

My postillion has been struck by lightning.

MonsieurChoc posted:

I want a 90s OVA of Shimousa.

Edit: And Shinjuku too.

I always felt like Shinjuku had that same kind of "grimy 90s anime OVA" energy to it as early SMT games, and it seems like this Twitter person agrees:

https://twitter.com/the_panther4444/status/1219594915207737344

https://twitter.com/the_panther4444/status/1220689886333698048

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Thuryl posted:

I always felt like Shinjuku had that same kind of "grimy 90s anime OVA" energy to it as early SMT games, and it seems like this Twitter person agrees:

https://twitter.com/the_panther4444/status/1219594915207737344

https://twitter.com/the_panther4444/status/1220689886333698048

Yes, exactly!

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Kyte posted:

It was directed by Nakaya Onsen. He also did the big ep in Apocrypha.

As another fun fact this was actually his first time as episode director!

Apparently, Onsen also did the teleporter fight in Mob Psycho.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this

Endorph posted:

sieg and jeanne are both decent characters in fgo imo

granted with sieg they basically just completely rewrite his character, he's way goofier and they lean on the whole 'dragon' aspect of him more

I feel it's less a rewrite and more a "ok now we have a chance to actually let the character breathe" kinda thing. His limited screentime in F/A was used up in setup and fighting. And his setup had to start from 0 what with being a homunculus and stuff. And, y'know, the dragon bit only actually happened near the end so that wasn't available either.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

They had 24 ding dong episodes to set up his character, the vast majority of movies do far more with a literal fraction of the time

Sieg bad, the production team are adults, you don't need to make excuses for them

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

They had 24 ding dong episodes to set up his character, the vast majority of movies do far more with a literal fraction of the time

Sieg bad, the production team are adults, you don't need to make excuses for them

I don't think the anime team gets blame here, they're working with a pre-existing script, the Apocrypha anime is an adaptation. Could they have changed things? Sure, maybe, but the blame should lie mostly to entirely with the original writer who wasted a lot of good characters in favour of the most bland protagonist he could've written.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

there are more named characters than episodes, it was always going to be a struggle i think. dunno if the LNs spend time giving everyone focus though

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

I dont think saying theres complex reasons why a piece of art ends up the way it is is 'making excuses' lol

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
So, is there any chance the fact that Aniplex has started publishing VNs in English might be a sign of things to come?

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

Endorph posted:

I dont think saying theres complex reasons why a piece of art ends up the way it is is 'making excuses' lol

The reasons aren't complex, though, they didn't want or care to expand on the actually interesting glimmers of Sieg's character in favor of just playing him as an extremely bland protagonist-kun. Characterization isn't actually that hard to do, because you can roll it into the very actions that move the plot forward, you just have to give a poo poo and make your protagonist actually do things, which the author and production clearly didn't - the biggest issue with Sieg as a character is that he does almost nothing, he is merely a character that the plot largely happens TO.

Blaze Dragon posted:

I don't think the anime team gets blame here, they're working with a pre-existing script, the Apocrypha anime is an adaptation. Could they have changed things? Sure, maybe, but the blame should lie mostly to entirely with the original writer who wasted a lot of good characters in favour of the most bland protagonist he could've written.

I haven't read the original work, but my understanding has been that the production actually did change plot points and character moments in small and moderate ways, which could have actually helped significantly re: Sieg.

Elephant Parade
Jan 20, 2018

I dropped Apocrypha halfway through but it seemed to me like Sieg's failure to do anything was a product of his life as a willless puppet and therefore actually relevant to his character

taser rates
Mar 30, 2010

OnimaruXLR posted:

So, is there any chance the fact that Aniplex has started publishing VNs in English might be a sign of things to come?

Wouldn't get your hopes up for anything old since the two VNs they announced are brand new.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

dogsicle posted:

there are more named characters than episodes, it was always going to be a struggle i think. dunno if the LNs spend time giving everyone focus though

ding ding ding, this is the problem with Apo

it's basically a bunch of thinly-sketched cardboard cutouts having cool fights with each other, for reasons that nobody in their right mind could possibly give a poo poo about

and several of said cardboard cutouts seem to be designed by someone who's horny for children

FGO seems to have redeemed a lot of the cast but that doesn't mean they were good to begin with, and it absolutely doesn't mean they were used well in Apo

e: also the whole thing with Shirou Amakusa is dumb as hell, the fact that nobody involved had a little lightbulb go off like "hey this red herring fakeout we're doing is actually cooler than the real idea" astounds me

"what if Kirei adopted Shirou instead of Kerry" is a legit loving amazing idea and having him turn out to actually be the christian guy from Samurai Shodown was significantly more boring

WeedlordGoku69 fucked around with this message at 02:53 on Feb 26, 2020

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
The fact Sieg starts as a puppet lacking in will or, you know, anything and grows into his own agency is one of the points of the story, you know.
I can't say it was done very well, but the character arc was still there.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

ding ding ding, this is the problem with Apo

it's basically a bunch of thinly-sketched cardboard cutouts having cool fights with each other, for reasons that nobody in their right mind could possibly give a poo poo about

and several of said cardboard cutouts seem to be designed by someone who's horny for children

FGO seems to have redeemed a lot of the cast but that doesn't mean they were good to begin with, and it absolutely doesn't mean they were used well in Apo

e: also the whole thing with Shirou Amakusa is dumb as hell, the fact that nobody involved had a little lightbulb go off like "hey this red herring fakeout we're doing is actually cooler than the real idea" astounds me

"what if Kirei adopted Shirou instead of Kerry" is a legit loving amazing idea and having him turn out to actually be the christian guy from Samurai Shodown was significantly more boring

amakusa is cool, and while there's some flexbility when it comes to narrative construction, he's a good counterpoint for jeanne as a fellow christian who has followed his belief to entirely different conclusions

also plenty of the other characters are good, it's not really a show plagued by bland characters outside of the half-cooked sieg and sieg/jeanne plotlines. not sure what the snipe about kid characters refers to other than jack, a single design among the pool of like twentyish characters

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
lowkey I kind of feel like Apo is responsible for a lot of Fate's ongoing image problem in the anglosphere, too, and that doesn't endear me to it

like it feels like most Western weebs think Fate is a dumb horny punchman series with :chloe: character designs and awful writing that just serves to vaguely glue the superpower fights together, and I suspect a lot of that is Netflix pushing Apo pretty hard as a "it's okay if you don't know Fate, the water's fine, jump in" starting point

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!
I’m pretty sure Fate was destined for that image as soon as the first entry in the series, a dating sim with explicit sex scenes, was published.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

It's a visual novel not a dating sim you dolt.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Apo was less bad than I thought it would be, I liked the first half of the series well enough. Sieg was boring but he didn't get all that much time compared to other better characters. To me the bigger issue is that a lot of the back half felt formulaic with characters having meltdowns and getting killed off one at a time, I really feel that one of Fate's main strengths is that it usually treats its characters with more respect than that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

lowkey I kind of feel like Apo is responsible for a lot of Fate's ongoing image problem in the anglosphere, too, and that doesn't endear me to it

like it feels like most Western weebs think Fate is a dumb horny punchman series with :chloe: character designs and awful writing that just serves to vaguely glue the superpower fights together, and I suspect a lot of that is Netflix pushing Apo pretty hard as a "it's okay if you don't know Fate, the water's fine, jump in" starting point
the 'ongoing image problem in the anglosphere' absolutely isnt a real thing anyone gives a poo poo about, its massively popular. like the guys you argue with in gbs were never going to like fate regardless of whether or not apocrypha is good. and fate/stay night, the original game, contains fair number of sex jokes about illyasviel.