Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
Did the episode where Gandhi gets addicted to pancake batter and blue housepaint mix age well?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Pick posted:

My brain at every single sports movie trailer: "there's no-thing in the RULE book that says a giraffe can't play FOOTball"

Fun fact, in the Air Bud sequel where he plays baseball there actually is a rule that a dog can't play baseball.

because it is "Little League" baseball and Little League has eligibility rules about players needing to be enrolled in school.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

MariusLecter posted:

Is there more fat jokes or more jokes where the punchline is "he's Jewish" ?

From memory I feel like they're about even.

I remember way more fat jokes than that. Then again I also didn't watch every episode so it's possible I missed most of the Jew jokes. Even so the opening animation has a fat joke in it that I wouldn't expect to go over well today. Overall the show constantly harped on how fat Jay was. The one that really sticks out in my mind is when he got airlifted out of the desert the helicopter could barely lift him and the pilot is like "this thing is supposed to be able to lift a tank!" Then they went full slapstick and smacked him into several buildings.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are

MariusLecter posted:

Did the episode where Gandhi gets addicted to pancake batter and blue housepaint mix age well?

Yes. The jokes about Mena Suvari’s giant forehead are a bit obscure, but the whole thing is still fantastic overall. Marilyn Manson doing the food pyramid song will always be great, and the corporate sellout fail plot is stellar.

I’m still amused that the 3 corporate hacks are played by the leads from Scrubs. “STICK IT IN YOUR FACE HOLE AND SLAM IT!” “MY KID WONT LOOK ME IN THE EYES ANYMORE!”

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

muscles like this! posted:

Fun fact, in the Air Bud sequel where he plays baseball there actually is a rule that a dog can't play baseball.

because it is "Little League" baseball and Little League has eligibility rules about players needing to be enrolled in school.

...so do they enroll him in school?

wizzardstaff
Apr 6, 2018

Zorch! Splat! Pow!

Detective No. 27 posted:

...so do they enroll him in school?

Well, there's no rule that says a dog can't go to school...

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Zebulon posted:

Show got weird as poo poo and the second season did in fact have some weird-rear end cat necromancer dude. And a time travel episode where they have to somehow whip up jet engine fuel in the past using only the stuff they can put together back then to get the jet running again and get back through the time portal. Plus it basically treated the jet's missile bays the same way Green Arrow treats his quiver or Batman treats his utility belt.

God drat you are so wrong it hurts.

Pastmaster was a season 1 villain, in fact he was the first villain in the first episode

Season 2 the animation got a bit "darker" and started rounding out the cast, I'm assuming for toy marketing purposes. They added a female SWAT officer that kept showing up to the battles and went with such classic edgy 90s cartoon plots as "Aliens try to conquer the world"

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

ToxicSlurpee posted:

I remember way more fat jokes than that. Then again I also didn't watch every episode so it's possible I missed most of the Jew jokes. Even so the opening animation has a fat joke in it that I wouldn't expect to go over well today. Overall the show constantly harped on how fat Jay was. The one that really sticks out in my mind is when he got airlifted out of the desert the helicopter could barely lift him and the pilot is like "this thing is supposed to be able to lift a tank!" Then they went full slapstick and smacked him into several buildings.

The fat jokes also lead to Jay's stomach talking, which was already great in a "homer's brain" kind of way.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F8pHJ9OcIE0

Clone High also had an excellent soundtrack for its time, something I never realized until this past year. For a person who never heard of American Football until 2016, they have a couple songs on there. From the film fest episode, when Abe says that Joan is " even closer than a sister. So close that we could sleep in the same bed and never touch or kiss." - they're playing Stay Home. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qdsSsZ8pueU

The one thing I don't think I ever seen on Youtube about the show is that the DVD releases have a longer intro than the one I remember from MTV (maybe that was the Canadian one?) And in the Ponce de Leon episode, the intro was different, with a slower, female-sung version of the song. The last time I remember seeing it was in 2003 from Kazaa :filez:

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
I loving love Clone High, and every now and then I just want to lean over to my wife and say "Part of me is inside you".

Critic was likewise tops. It shouldn't have worked but it just had something to it.

And Groening was a huge dipshit to folks that left Simpsons for their own animated series'

pentyne posted:

went with such classic edgy 90s cartoon plots as "Aliens try to conquer the world"
Remember when M.A.N.T.I.S. was retooled and the Big Bad became not systemic racism but Pale White Guys in Black Suits And Sunglasses SURPRISE they're aliens.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Did Mission Hill age ok? Everything about it seemed very mid-90s, which is weird because I think it started in 2000.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Pick posted:

My brain at every single sports movie trailer: "there's no-thing in the RULE book that says a giraffe can't play FOOTball"

A giraffe would probably kick the entire opposing team to death.

pentyne posted:

God drat you are so wrong it hurts.

Pastmaster was a season 1 villain, in fact he was the first villain in the first episode

Season 2 the animation got a bit "darker" and started rounding out the cast, I'm assuming for toy marketing purposes. They added a female SWAT officer that kept showing up to the battles and went with such classic edgy 90s cartoon plots as "Aliens try to conquer the world"

IIRC the original idea that the network shot down was the invaders trying to conquer the city were humans.

grittyreboot
Oct 2, 2012

I watched Maron recently and in the first episode he walked in on someone's D&D session and of course they were all pasty lispy unfuckable virgins. It was such a weird 80's stereotype for a show made in the 2010's

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

Did Mission Hill age ok? Everything about it seemed very mid-90s, which is weird because I think it started in 2000.

I last watched it 5 or so years ago and still dug it

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

As far asI know it did but all I know is that whenever I hear the word Kafkaesque I think "no meat touching"

dads_work_files
May 14, 2008

important_document.avi

grittyreboot posted:

I watched Maron recently and in the first episode he walked in on someone's D&D session and of course they were all pasty lispy unfuckable virgins. It was such a weird 80's stereotype for a show made in the 2010's

Thank God we've progressed beyond such unrealistic depictions of the world of tabletop RPGs

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

grittyreboot posted:

I think my biggest disappointment with Maron is that it wasn't a buddy comedy of Marc Maron and Dave Foley going on stupid adventures every week.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

It's aged fantastically well. The only really dated reference I can think of is the Real World episode, since I don't think that show is still on, at least not in the original format (I think it's called like The Challenge now?)

Oakley and Weinstein basically predicted what would happen in Williamsburg (the Brooklyn one) or Portland, in regards to gentrifying, hipsters, etc... but several years before it was mainstream to take digs at places like that. Like the interracial hipster couple of the Hispanic painter and Jewish...Lawyer(?) woman, who are together but not married, and have a kid that they didn't name because they feel a child has to choose their own name. And in the episode where Andy tries to get a job, he had a great little rant about how his generation (X) was all talk when it came to being apathetic, "raging against the machine," etc... bandthey all abandoned him and got corporate jobs while his back was turned.

And it had what might be one of the best gay couple depictions. A loving, older couple who have been together for nearly 50 years.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

DrBouvenstein posted:

It's aged fantastically well. The only really dated reference I can think of is the Real World episode, since I don't think that show is still on, at least not in the original format (I think it's called like The Challenge now?)

Oakley and Weinstein basically predicted what would happen in Williamsburg (the Brooklyn one) or Portland, in regards to gentrifying, hipsters, etc... but several years before it was mainstream to take digs at places like that. Like the interracial hipster couple of the Hispanic painter and Jewish...Lawyer(?) woman, who are together but not married, and have a kid that they didn't name because they feel a child has to choose their own name. And in the episode where Andy tries to get a job, he had a great little rant about how his generation (X) was all talk when it came to being apathetic, "raging against the machine," etc... bandthey all abandoned him and got corporate jobs while his back was turned.

And it had what might be one of the best gay couple depictions. A loving, older couple who have been together for nearly 50 years.

"Homo is a hoitful term. Please stop using it or I'll be forced to clobber ya."

"We're still friends, right?"

"Oh of course, we're about as close as an elderly gay man and straight teenage boy can be."

El Gallinero Gros has a new favorite as of 15:26 on Feb 25, 2020

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

DrBouvenstein posted:

I listen to a podcast that recently interviewed Josh Weinstein about specifically his non-Simpsons projects. This is one of the things he brought up about Mission Hill, because it's one of the things he received the most positive reactions to; for most of its audience it was the first positive depiction of gay men they'd ever seen, and to this day it's still, yeah, one of the best.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Cleretic posted:

I listen to a podcast that recently interviewed Josh Weinstein about specifically his non-Simpsons projects. This is one of the things he brought up about Mission Hill, because it's one of the things he received the most positive reactions to; for most of its audience it was the first positive depiction of gay men they'd ever seen, and to this day it's still, yeah, one of the best.

If someone handed me the keys to Adult Swim and I had carte blanche to try and bring back shows like they did with Family Guy (indirectly) it'd be Clone High and Mission Hill. I think both shows were treated poorly by their networks and deserve a shot.

Also thanks for pointing this out, it's on a playlist now for a road trip I have coming up..

El Gallinero Gros has a new favorite as of 15:57 on Feb 25, 2020

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

They hinted at a Mission Hill revival a few months ago. Hopefully it happens.

I loved the show, remembering it airing on WB and knowing it was doomed since they never had a consistent schedule for it. I was bummed when I later found out that the characters were supposed to age in real time. That would have been cool to see.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Detective No. 27 posted:

They hinted at a Mission Hill revival a few months ago. Hopefully it happens.

I loved the show, remembering it airing on WB and knowing it was doomed since they never had a consistent schedule for it. I was bummed when I later found out that the characters were supposed to age in real time. That would have been cool to see.

IIRC Mission Hill was on UPN as well, and they also jerked it around

Did Josh Weinstein say something about a revival?

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood
It's funny watching people get excited for reboots then immediately dumping them, because it happens every time for every reboot, and nobody ever notices the pattern. the only way they could guarantee that it would suck even more is if they made it a prequel series.

the dark crystal reboot was a terrible idea. making it such a contemporary political analog was a terrible idea. the first 5 episodes are the most water-treading set-recycling poo poo i've seen since the original run of Naruto.

I'm Cranky (TM).

edit- so either mission hill's going to have to be deliberately set 10-15 years in the past, or the characters will be relegated to the suburbs and have to drive half an hour to see each other, or we're just going to have to pretend that eclectic eccentrics can still afford to live in the city (a fiscal impossibility.)

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

PHIZ KALIFA posted:

It's funny watching people get excited for reboots then immediately dumping them, because it happens every time for every reboot, and nobody ever notices the pattern. the only way they could guarantee that it would suck even more is if they made it a prequel series.

the dark crystal reboot was a terrible idea. making it such a contemporary political analog was a terrible idea. the first 5 episodes are the most water-treading set-recycling poo poo i've seen since the original run of Naruto.

I'm Cranky (TM).

I liked the Futurama one fine, it just went on too long

Also enjoyed the new Beavis and Butthead episodes

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

El Gallinero Gros posted:

IIRC Mission Hill was on UPN as well, and they also jerked it around

Did Josh Weinstein say something about a revival?

I believe it was him or Oakley who was hinting something on Twitter a couple months ago. But nothing concrete.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Beavis and Butthead's revival didn't skip a beat. I only caught a couple episodes. The drone one is the one I remembered the most. It's biggest problem was being on MTV. Should have gone to Adult Swim or some other similar channel if Adult Swim wasn't a Viacom channel.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Detective No. 27 posted:

Beavis and Butthead's revival didn't skip a beat. I only caught a couple episodes. The drone one is the one I remembered the most. It's biggest problem was being on MTV. Should have gone to Adult Swim or some other similar channel if Adult Swim wasn't a Viacom channel.
https://mobile.twitter.com/thatbilloakley/status/1225991301142724608

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.

PHIZ KALIFA posted:

edit- so either mission hill's going to have to be deliberately set 10-15 years in the past, or the characters will be relegated to the suburbs and have to drive half an hour to see each other, or we're just going to have to pretend that eclectic eccentrics can still afford to live in the city (a fiscal impossibility.)

Didn't Jim, Andy's best friend, pay for the apartment since he had an incredibly well paying job?

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

Leavemywife posted:

Didn't Jim, Andy's best friend, pay for the apartment since he had an incredibly well paying job?

Yeah, which was something that didn't age well because the reason for it was that the old people who ran his marketing company blindly trusted him to tell them what young people liked. Now they would just insist that they know based on what they've heard their grand-kids talking about and seen on twitter while paying Jim a good ten an hour and telling him how generous they're being

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

Yeah, which was something that didn't age well because the reason for it was that the old people who ran his marketing company blindly trusted him to tell them what young people liked. Now they would just insist that they know based on what they've heard their grand-kids talking about and seen on twitter while paying Jim a good ten an hour and telling him how generous they're being

Jim'd just transition to being a twitch streamer

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Andy: Aren't you selling out by plugging Raid Shadow Legends?

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Nah, they would have given Jim a Senior Executive position that had no real duties but no one would question it because they assumed he was super in the know or in line to be the next CEO or whatever.

Now THAT was an incredibly In The Moment thing where his coworkers were too "Computators? How do they internet?" thing and probably would have regarded him as a whiz because he could hook up a printer.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!

dads_work_files posted:

Thank God we've progressed beyond such unrealistic depictions of the world of tabletop RPGs

I mean, I'm pretty sure the more stereotypical depiction nowadays is LGBTA teens and young adults doing crazy over the top things, not traditional-style nerds arguing over how they'll reenact Lord of the Rings.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
A direct inversion of the thread is this: I just watched the Jim Carrey movie Fun With Dick and Jane for the first time and it really resonated with me simply because of the timing, what with me losing my job a few months ago and having to work crap shifts to make money while waiting for something better to arrive. It's a lot of fun, and unlike in other films like Bruce Almighty and Liar Liar, Carrey isn't playing a total rear end in a top hat. Even as things fall apart Dick and Jane stick by each other, never losing their tempers or ruining their marriage over their stresses, it really sells how stable they are as a couple, and it's exactly that stability that gets them through the situation that they are in.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

The Bee posted:

I mean, I'm pretty sure the more stereotypical depiction nowadays is LGBTA teens and young adults doing crazy over the top things, not traditional-style nerds arguing over how they'll reenact Lord of the Rings.

i can't tell if this is wishful thinking or an extremely narrow reference pool

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

dads_work_files posted:

Right? Who gives a poo poo? I say this as someone who plays RPGs weekly with plenty of women and unpasty nerds, that's like nowhere near any of our representation concerns. None of them.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

MariusLecter posted:

Andy: Aren't you selling out by plugging Raid Shadow Legends?
I have seen like four jokes about the number of Raid Shadow Legends ads in the last week, and I have no idea what it even is. Is the concept of adblock going to make tv not age well?

(That said, it's partially that I'm in the wrong demographic, because I do get Twitch's inline ads but they're for some random Amazon Prime show or like, I think there was one for chunky soup?)

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

DACK FAYDEN posted:

I have seen like four jokes about the number of Raid Shadow Legends ads in the last week, and I have no idea what it even is. Is the concept of adblock going to make tv not age well?

(That said, it's partially that I'm in the wrong demographic, because I do get Twitch's inline ads but they're for some random Amazon Prime show or like, I think there was one for chunky soup?)

Raid shadow legends ad jokes are ubiquitous because the ads are everywhere and often disguised with fake xes to make you click through accidentally.

I know this because I YouTube on my phone and constantly get ads and also streamers are constantly pushing it in-stream/video.

So, no, adblock hasn't done poo poo to stem this bleeding for me, and yes poking fun at the situation is good.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Raid is inexplicably paying out silly amounts of money for random internet people to do ads for them. That's why there's buzz about it. And also why there are so many people doing Raid ads, because hellworld.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

DACK FAYDEN posted:

It's not just regular ads, they are plugged CONSTANTLY by people on youtube and twitch.

And yes, Jim would be cross platforming yt and twitch.
And have a really good tiktok.